The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Contemplating purchasing Midi Quest, but noticed today that most of the site seems to be 404ing. Hopefully that's just a glitch and not something more serious?

A bit reluctant to part with cash if theres a danger of support ending soon.
Nothing wrong with the site from my end.

As far as I know, this is a 1 man operation. MidiQuest has been around for a long time. Feel free to email Michael with any questions and remember he is a human. No auto-replies, no "please update your software....", no delayed replies (for me he has replied the same day), and also...the downside....no sales that I'm aware of...including Black Friday.

So download the demo. Make absolutely sure this is what you want because it isn't cheap, and ask him any questions you may have.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the video tutorials are incredibly detailed, and very long! The series are probably the most boring ones I ever attempted to watch but after a while I just gave up. Informative, but IMO too long and detailed.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Addict
All the web pages are working here (UK) including the forum.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Nut

Well, not quite a one man operation but I do handle all of the communications and we definitely are small.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Addict
Yes all those are 404 for me also. But if I log in with the link I have bookmarked it works Sound Quest Music Software seems to be a different URL.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Nut

Then the answer is simple. The web site is

Sound Quest Music Software

We use soundquest.org to host graphics, demos, and a number of other things but it definitely isn't the main web site.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Then the answer is simple. The web site is

Sound Quest Music Software

We use soundquest.org to host graphics, demos, and a number of other things but it definitely isn't the main web site.
You might want to look at getting your domains sorted then, as I ended up on soundquest.org from a google search, and those were the page links I was directed to on the menu buttons from your site.

Incidentally, if I go to either squest.com or soundquest.org I get the same identical homepage, but the links are broken from the .org, they work from the .com.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's going to fall foul of that, and it's a totally rookie website error of page-relative vs site-relative links in the menus.
Old 5th August 2016
Gear Nut

You're certainly right about falling foul so the index page of soundquest.org has already been replaced with a forwarder to squest.com. This should deal with the problem for the future.
Old 26th November 2016
Gear Head
Black friday discounts may be good in these days. Because of USD is very powerfull money last years.

Asian, europan countries and United Kingdom lose purchasing power.
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 27th November 2016
Gear Head
Waste of time

I've used this software for the past few years from time to time. Let me rephrase that, I've tried to to use it from time to time, eventually giving up and choosing synths that don't require midiquest. The software is buggy, unpredictable and will waste your time and eat your soul. It was expensive and I now avoid it at all costs because it inevitably turns into a rabbit hole trying to get the software to work properly. Make sure the demo works for your synths, daw and your workflow. Does anyone actually use this software successfully?
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetInfinity View Post
Does anyone actually use this software successfully?
+1
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The software is buggy, unpredictable and will waste your time and eat your soul. It was expensive and I now avoid it at all costs because it inevitably turns into a rabbit hole trying to get the software to work properly.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Never had any real good experience with MQ. And although the software is still being updated - the amount of new supported devices are few.

/C
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used this software for the past few years from time to time. Let me rephrase that, I've tried to to use it from time to time, eventually giving up and choosing synths that don't require midiquest. The software is buggy, unpredictable and will waste your time and eat your soul. It was expensive and I now avoid it at all costs because it inevitably turns into a rabbit hole trying to get the software to work properly. Make sure the demo works for your synths, daw and your workflow. Does anyone actually use this software successfully?
I guess I must be the only one huh?
I have 14 synthesizers at the moment. They all work fine with MidiQuest 11.
What version do you refer to?
So specifically what was buggy, unpredictable? What didn't work?
Did you contact the developer for support?
IMO It is relatively expensive.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head
What synths did you use succesfully with midi-quest?

Yes I've tried support. It's futile explaining detailed bug reports for no actual benefit.
Old 2nd December 2016
I've been an on and off user of MidiQuest since 1993... this was back before the internet. I bought the software at a music store. There were no online updates or anything like that back then. They did have a BBS, which you use a phone line to dial into with a modem. I downloaded new sounds for my Roland D5 synth from their BBS, it cost me a fortune because I was in the USA and they are in Canada, it was an international call and the downloads took time.

In the early days I found it difficult to understand how MidiQuest worked. It was not always intuitive to me, but in time it started to make sense. I always upgraded to the new versions as they were released. Years later one frustration was that my synth collection kept growing (serious synth addiction going on) and many of therm were not supported by MidiQuest. I do wish they had someone dedicated to making editors to increase their synth support.

I took a break from music making for about 10 years, started back in 2013 and upgraded to MidiQuest 10. Never really used it because I ended up using software synths along with the Virus TI and really had no use for a hardware editor. Recently, I pulled out some of my old hardware synths and hooked them up. Fired up MidiQuest 10 and it is working fine with the synths it supports. The librarian features are quite nice. I found a couple of bugs in one of the editors and emailed Michael about them. Apparently, they have been fixed in MidiQuest 11. Have not tried using the plug-in capability since I am still on MQ10, but I am very interested in that capability. Even if not to use as an editor, but to provide patch recall on project open in the DAW.

There are two things that I wish were better in MidiQuest... First is support for more synths (DSI Mopho, Evolver, Prophet 12, Korg Radias, Emu Audity 2k (V2), Waldorf Blofeld to name a few that I have). Would be nice to use MQ as plug-in editors for those synths. The other thing is the look/interface of many of the editors. They are not visually compelling having rows upon rows of sliders lined up with cryptic labels. You cannot load a patch and get a quick feel for what the patch is all about. I think the Waldorf Q editor is quite good and gives a good visual representation of the patch. The couple Vyzex editors are visually stunning.

I recently started using the CTRLR panel for the Matrix 6R, it is so much nicer to use than the MQ editor. It is beautiful and functional and makes it a joy to edit the synth:

I realize MQ cannot have such visually compelling editors for all supported synths, but it would be nice if they were somewhat laid out to better represent the synths architecture. I do think the librarian features of MQ are really great and valuable, and I do plan to eventually upgrade to make use of the VST plug-in capabilities.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
What synths did you use succesfully with midi-quest?

Yes I've tried support. It's futile explaining detailed bug reports for no actual benefit.
I use MidiQuest 11. (not PRO) interfaced for outboard hardware is 4 MOTU MidiTime Pieces networked. A PC will "see" 2 sets of 16.

Emu Morpheus, Yamaha TX-802, Roland D-550, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS2000r, Oberheim matrix 1000, EnsoniqSQr, Nord rack 2 and for library only k-2000 plus stuff like Alesis Midiverb etc. I might be forgetting some as I'm out of town.

I do wish they would update and work with the Voyager, DSI stuff etc.

I'm sure I could find bugs if I tried. But in my own use...everything works fine. Midiquest is able to communicate with every hardware and I can edit every hardware and have a librarian for every hardware. Were your problems basic communication issues or bugs with certain instruments?

For me the bottom line is there is nothing else supported. The demand for editor-librarians is low. This is it unless you choose multiple editors. MOTU abandoned Unisyn for PC years ago, then I think did the same for MAC?
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

Hi,
I use Midiquest 11 with various synths: Waldorf Q, studio electronics ATC Xi, Roland D550 etc and it works fine so far.
What I admired the most is, that the developer reacted very helpfully to my questions and he improved the adaptions accordingly to
my requests - this is tremendous

best
Mr.O
Old 25th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
There are two things that I wish were better in MidiQuest... First is support for more synths...

Korg Radias, ... Waldorf Blofeld to name a few that I have).
+1 from me on those..

Alesis Micron / Akai Miniak too..
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Any videos about the VST integration? Especially Reaper? I see people complaining the .dll MQ spits out for the selected synths doesn't work at all with Reaper. Did this changed with the latest update? How can we automate parameters in a DAW with MQ?
Old 24th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Any videos about the VST integration? Especially Reaper? I see people complaining the .dll MQ spits out for the selected synths doesn't work at all with Reaper. Did this changed with the latest update? How can we automate parameters in a DAW with MQ?
I cannot help but wonder what could be different (to that degree) about Reaper? The MQ .dll's all work for me in Sonar Platinum, Digital Performer, Samplitude and Cantabile 3. (Kawai K5000s, Ensoniq ESQm, Wavestation, Wavestation SR, Yamaha TX81Z). I would be very shocked if they did not work in Reaper.

Second question - automating parameters in the DAW comes from just turning on automation for that track the MQ .dll is in and moving the knobs and sliders (either with your mouse or with MIDI learned controllers). You do need either two interfaces merged together like I do (an old Opcode 8-Port MIDI unit going into two MIDI-to-USB interfaces) or have MIDI interfaces capable of aggregation. (This comes native in Macs, from what I understand.) This is because most DAWs won't share their interface with other programs, and MQ is basically another program running parallel to the DAW.

I have it working, and it is just like my hardware devices are VSTi's!!! :-)

(Plus, there all those nice patches in MQ's cloud patch library!!!)

Terry
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBritton View Post
I cannot help but wonder what could be different (to that degree) about Reaper? The MQ .dll's all work for me in Sonar Platinum, Digital Performer, Samplitude and Cantabile 3. (Kawai K5000s, Ensoniq ESQm, Wavestation, Wavestation SR, Yamaha TX81Z). I would be very shocked if they did not work in Reaper.

Second question - automating parameters in the DAW comes from just turning on automation for that track the MQ .dll is in and moving the knobs and sliders (either with your mouse or with MIDI learned controllers). You do need either two interfaces merged together like I do (an old Opcode 8-Port MIDI unit going into two MIDI-to-USB interfaces) or have MIDI interfaces capable of aggregation. (This comes native in Macs, from what I understand.) This is because most DAWs won't share their interface with other programs, and MQ is basically another program running parallel to the DAW.

I have it working, and it is just like my hardware devices are VSTi's!!! :-)

(Plus, there all those nice patches in MQ's cloud patch library!!!)

Terry
Sounds great! Unfortunately the demo, doesn't allow to test the VST integration before buying and I'm a little scared to pull the trigger without seeing it working! How much different it is MQ on a Mac / PC?
Old 25th May 2017
Quote:
Sounds great! Unfortunately the demo, doesn't allow to test the VST integration before buying and I'm a little scared to pull the trigger without seeing it working! How much different it is MQ on a Mac / PC?
I do not know how different they are, except that the Mac version can take advantage of aggregation like I stated above.

If I get time over the next few days I will make a video showing how the automation works.

Are you on a Mac? I'm on a PC.

Terry
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do not know how different they are, except that the Mac version can take advantage of aggregation like I stated above.

If I get time over the next few days I will make a video showing how the automation works.

Are you on a Mac? I'm on a PC.

Terry
I'm on a PC. Can you install Reaper demo to see if it works? That would be sooo nice Thanks.
Old 25th May 2017
Quote:
I'm on a PC. Can you install Reaper demo to see if it works? That would be sooo nice Thanks.
Yes, for sure! I just installed Reaper a couple of weeks ago to play with 1st and 3rd order Ambisonic stuff. So, I've dug in at least enough to know how to install a plugin and use it!!

Stay tuned!

Terry
Old 10th June 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
how close are we to 64 bit support? Or has it already happened? I disappeared soon after I last posted here till recently, got very ill, hospitalised multiple times, am involved in pending court case that's taken all my time to research and organise, life has just been **** basically! But finally have some time and good enough health to get back to my music...

I only really use pro tools now (12.5), are we getting close to a midiquest to work with it? it's been over a year since my last post! Surely we *must* have progress by now?
Old 10th June 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
Ok just checked site.. wow it seems nothing has changed in over a year.
No 64 bit, no aax, nada.

However i still have most of my hardware so this is what i am thinking.. One very awkward solution for pro tools, would be to 32 lives the vst or AU, then load it via the axx version of blue cat pathworx. I think so many layers will be very crashy, and too risky for 400 bucks investment (600 ish in my currency).

So this is the idea for me.. to get the MID level $249 USD version, and use it standalone.
The big question here is.. Can i save one project that remembers say all my hardware synth settings for that project? Would that work? So say i could do my PT project, then save a mquet project in the same folder with the exact same name, and then just load it when i load the PT project, and it will set all my synths to the right settings for that PT project.. can this be done?
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, for sure! I just installed Reaper a couple of weeks ago to play with 1st and 3rd order Ambisonic stuff. So, I've dug in at least enough to know how to install a plugin and use it!!

Stay tuned!

Terry
So did it worked for you?
Old 10th June 2017
Quote:
So did it worked for you?
Sorry - never got a chance to mess with it.

Terry
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Not much luck so far with the demo - haven't managed to detect any of my devices. May need to check my MIDI routing as it all goes through an A-880 (which happens to be one of the devices available).

sorry late to the party, but some versions of the a-880 firmware do not support sysex
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search