The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaytag View Post
This won't really work, as the SCI Prophet-600 won't transmit a bulk dump. I have to transmit each preset, one at a time. I'm in the middle of doing this, but I'm not 100% sure it's transmitting the patches back to the Prophet.
The bulk dump feature became pretty standard, pretty quickly, but wasn't the P600 the first synth with MIDI ever? I have several old synths with really crappy MIDI implementations, so I feel your pain. I haven't found JSynthLib or Ctrlr to be very useful. All the other universal editor/librarians; Galaxy, Sounddiver, Unisyn; have died. MIDIquest is the last man standing and only has the hardware support it does due to several decades of slowly adding things, and even so, there are lots of gaps.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I don't see it changing.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan View Post
It's a late reply but will chime in about this.

VC-1 Uniquest comes in CD for editing (if you bought a complete boxed version of course). So they have the implementation, thus added in full version, too.
I sent you a PM.
Old 17th March 2016
Lives for gear

Bumping as I need assistance. I just recieved a Matrix 1000, the unit has no factory patches installed whatsoever. I am not midi savy enough to get the data dump to work via Logic Pro for some unkown reason, so I downloaded the demo version ofMidi Quest in the hope that I could test drive the 1000 with the graphical editor. My problem is that the graphical editor is nowhere to be found. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
Bumping as I need assistance. I just recieved a Matrix 1000, the unit has no factory patches installed whatsoever. I am not midi savy enough to get the data dump to work via Logic Pro for some unkown reason, so I downloaded the demo version ofMidi Quest in the hope that I could test drive the 1000 with the graphical editor. My problem is that the graphical editor is nowhere to be found. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
The Matrix 1000 definitely has presets in it. There are 800 built into the ROM of the unit in banks 2 through 9. They can't be deleted. There are also two banks of 100 RAM presets which may be empty.

As for Midi Quest, the editor is there. Assuming you have installed the Matrix 1000 module in the Studio window and have "Default Set" selected (the default). just press the "New" button. You will get a new window with the Matrix 1000 RAM components listed in the left column. Click on "Patch" to see the editor.
Old 24th April 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
First two questions, how is aax support coming along, and 64 bit? after all, it IS 2016!

Guys i need to understand this a bit better as after 20 years have gotten into hardware synths again.

Ultimately plug in integration is not the end of the world.

All my synths have mac editors of some kind bar my an1x and korg o5rw and i see midi quest supports those.

This is what i need to do.. i need to be able to save a patch from the machine to the computer, and i will organise them into folder by song name. When it comes time to loading that song, i want to be able to make sure that the sound i created for that song can be loaded back in with 100% accuracy (this of course only matters once i have run out of on board memory slots for patches)

I also want to be able to load 3rd party banks/patches

Can the basic midiquest do this while i wait for the 64 bit and aax upgrades?

3 synths is actually ok for now as it covers the ones that i have with no editor at all. With the DSI/access/integra/microkorg/JD - there's no problemo as i have alternatives for them. Sure it would be nice to have it all in one program though, but i am out of money for now! Is there any penalty in upgrading later?

You've actually got the only korg o5r/w and yamaha an1x mac editors i have ever seen, so, i don't have a lot of choice!
Old 24th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
First two questions, how is aax support coming along, and 64 bit? after all, it IS 2016!

Guys i need to understand this a bit better as after 20 years have gotten into hardware synths again.

Ultimately plug in integration is not the end of the world.

All my synths have mac editors of some kind bar my an1x and korg o5rw and i see midi quest supports those.

This is what i need to do.. i need to be able to save a patch from the machine to the computer, and i will organise them into folder by song name. When it comes time to loading that song, i want to be able to make sure that the sound i created for that song can be loaded back in with 100% accuracy (this of course only matters once i have run out of on board memory slots for patches)

I also want to be able to load 3rd party banks/patches

Can the basic midiquest do this while i wait for the 64 bit and aax upgrades?

3 synths is actually ok for now as it covers the ones that i have with no editor at all. With the DSI/access/integra/microkorg/JD - there's no problemo as i have alternatives for them. Sure it would be nice to have it all in one program though, but i am out of money for now! Is there any penalty in upgrading later?

You've actually got the only korg o5r/w and yamaha an1x mac editors i have ever seen, so, i don't have a lot of choice!

I can say that both AAX and 64-bit are coming along well. Unfortunately, issues with 3rd party software that we utilize has resulted in release delays (which is why we don't pre-announce release dates).

To answer your question. Any version of Midi Quest 11 will do what you are looking for. They will save the SysEx configuration of the synths and reload the data back to the instrument as required.

FYI, the MicroKorg is SysEx identical to the MS2000 so you can make use of this editor as well, if you wish.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

To Jay Gried, since we have no record of you purchasing Midi Quest or of you having previously contacted tech support, I would say that if you should contact Sound Quest's tech support to discuss whatever your issues are. The problems we deal with most frequently actually have nothing to do with the operation of Midi Quest itself.
Old 24th April 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Thanks Michael.. I have the microkorg XL+ and the current editors out there apparently don't work for it. That said it comes with it's own perfectly functioning librarian

Michael, you did miss one question.. if i upgrade at a later date, if there will be penalties dollars wise. For example if i start with essentials and work my way up.

I don't really understand the differences between essentials and standard.. i do understand the main difference between standard and pro is that the pro has au and vst plugins, is that correct?

Michael also, if i were to buy pro now, would the aax be a free update.. otherwise there is no point, it would make sense for me to start with essentials, then get pro when the aax and 64 bit is out. Right now the only way i could think of doing it would be to use j bridge to wrap the 32 bit vst, then load the 64 bit wrapped vst via patchworx in pro tools, but this sort of workflow is too cumbersome for me.

Anyway i will have some specific questions about essentials vs standard as i re examine the comparison list.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't really understand the differences between essentials and standard.. i do understand the main difference between standard and pro is that the pro has au and vst plugins, is that correct?
Essentials only lets you keep 3 instruments or midi devices at a time.

Also the librarian is very limited.

https://www.squest.com/Products/Midi...1/Compare.html
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Nut

I am surprised. We had a quick look at Korg's web site and SysEx documentation for the MicroKorg XL and it indicates that the SysEx is identical so everything should work. If you're curious, you could at least try. It may be that the other people who are experience problems have some other issue (like a MIDI interface which doesn't handle SysEx properly. This is a very common problem these days)

There are substantial differences between the Essentials and standard versions of Midi Quest in terms of features. You would be best off to look at the descriptions at:

Sound Quest Midi Quest 11 Comparison

and

Midi Quest Details

to get a clear comparison. I could try highlighting differences but what is important to me might not be what is important to you.

Currently, to go from Midi Quest Essentials to Midi Quest Pro will cost you $20 more than purchasing Midi Quest Pro outright. I can't say for certain that the AAX support will be a free upgrade at this time but I can say that it will be no more than $15.

You are correct. The main difference between Midi Quest standard and Pro versions is the plug-in capabilities although there are other differences as well with the Pro version having much more extensive export, import, and file conversion capabilities. Again, the "Details" page should assist you in separating the versions and I am happy to answer any specific questions that you have.

Hopefully I got everything this time.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
I have MidiQuest 11 Pro which has editors for 15 of my synth modules. With regard to loading a song and instantly recalling the patches I've discovered this is somewhat hit and miss. For example if you have a multi set up with say a module with 4 different patches assigned to 4 different tracks. When the song is loaded only this sounds which are saved in the MidiQuest edit buffer will automatically be sent to the module. If they are not already in the edit buffer you will have to manually open MidiQuest GUI and at that point the program changes are sent to the module. I have mentioned this on the MidiQuest forum and it seems this is not fixable. Although if opening MidiQuest editor sends the patches to the module there must be a way to automatically send the patches without opening the editor. That issue aside I'm very happy with the MidiQuest editors in general although still waiting for the Access Virus T2 to work with multis correctly. Here's a video I made explaining the situation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouOc...ature=youtu.be
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
It may be that the other people who are experience problems have some other issue (like a MIDI interface which doesn't handle SysEx properly. This is a very common problem these days)
Why not making your own midi interface and provide an all-in-one solution?

I never understand this company, you make gigantic efforts to cover all synth models, but you fail in those last 15% which is creating a modern user interface and a solid midi hardware to support everything.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Why not making your own midi interface and provide an all-in-one solution?

I never understand this company, you make gigantic efforts to cover all synth models, but you fail in those last 15% which is creating a modern user interface and a solid midi hardware to support everything.
Good idea although maybe the market isn't large enough to invest in developing such hardware? Expert Sleepers seems popular nowadays although I'm finding my ESi M8UXL is performing well and also my recently acquired Icon Cube Mi5 is working well so far. Although I must admit I haven't exactly pushed massive amounts of sysex through either of them.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Producing hardware is a whole different kettle of fish than writing software. I wouldn't prefer to have to get a midi interface from them just for this program. My midi interfaces work fine and my setup is a bit more complicated than average. Most midi interfaces work fine, and frankly they all ought to. Improvements in the workflow and GUI, stability, etc are always welcome.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Nut

kraznet and pounce both have it right. Getting into hardware would not be playing to our strengths and we would be competing against companies which have far deeper pockets than we do for a mature, small market. It, unfortunately, isn't a feasible option at this time anyway.

Kraznet, generally an interface either handles SysEx or it doesn't. We attempt to track the ones that don't, and we currently have a lengthy list, but this includes a huge generic category of interfaces in the under $20 category. People who aren't experienced purchase these and try them out with standard MIDI events and they work, so they just assume that the interface works with everything. Turns out that most of these interfaces seem incapable of handling even small amounts of SysEx. Because the owners of these interfaces have seen them work with standard MIDI events, when Midi Quest doesn't work they immediately get online and blame the software.

10 or 15 years ago this wasn't an issue but it certainly is now. We're learned to live with it but it can be frustrating.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Well, then why not joining efforts with a midi interface company, like Alyseum maybe?

Alyseum

Just to make sure the user have a rock solid option, excuse-free from the hardware side of things?
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
I am surprised. We had a quick look at Korg's web site and SysEx documentation for the MicroKorg XL and it indicates that the SysEx is identical so everything should work.
The Microkorg XL is based on the R3 engine which is based on the Radias engine. However I believe it is not SYSEX compatible (at least for full patch dumps.)

The original Microkorg has an identical engine to the MS2000 and is fully compatible with MS2000 patch dumps and editors.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Well, then why not joining efforts with a midi interface company, like Alyseum maybe?

Alyseum

Just to make sure the user have a rock solid option, excuse-free from the hardware side of things?
Just so you are aware, with the exception of a few very old instruments which have very specific timing requirements, the Alyseum works very well with Midi Quest.

What we want to do is be as inclusive as possible. There are many, many musicians who have a lot of money invested in their hardware configurations and with one really notable exception, Midi Quest works well with these systems. We certainly don't want musicians left feeling that they have to go out and purchase an entirely new MIDI rig for Midi Quest to work reliably. And Midi Quest does work reliably with the vast majority of name brand MIDI interfaces.

Where we run into trouble is the person who has the $15 MIDI interface just posts a message which basically says "I tried Midi Quest and it doesn't work". Now, they are right but they don't say "I tried Midi Quest with a cheap Chinese no name MIDI interface and it didn't work" and generally, these people, for whatever reason, don't contact us so we never get a chance to sort out the problem. It's a scenario where, actually, no one wins.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 25th April 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
the other thing I don't get is why would plugin automation matter, i can just use midi cc's - heck i can usually just assign a midi track to the synth, record and move a knob and it transmits. I can automate filter resonance/MW/cutoff with no issue for any synth.

What is the point of having multiple plugins open? The one reason i went hardware was for stability and minimal plugins - i'm happy to just manually send the sounds to the hardware as i load my project. In many cases the hardware can handle program messages anyway, so i just save my sound to a slot, and int he midi file at the start it just send the sound program number to the slot i have selected. Easy.

Am I missing something? The main reason for midi quest is to PROGRAM sounds using a computer interface, right? Especially with old synths that only have a tiny lcd with lots of hidden parameters?
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I missing something? The main reason for midi quest is to PROGRAM sounds using a computer interface, right? Especially with old synths that only have a tiny lcd with lots of hidden parameters?
Especially with older synths that have limited patch storage, it is nice to be able to sage the patch setting for your hardware synths in the project in your DAW so that when you get back to a project that you shelved 6 months ago you don't have to worry that the synth has the sand you were using in the same spot as it did perviously.

I haven't used MIDQuest yet, but I'm presuming if can do that and is the primary focus of the plugin functionality. We've been spoiled that softsynths have been doing this for years.
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. You should try programming the Emu Morpheus with all the sub-menus. I'm assuming just about every other Emu rack synth of the 90s that followed the Morpheus had the same ZERO fun factor, which IMO pretty much killed them.

Or better yet a Oberheim Matrix 1000 that can't be programed without an editor.

Honestly all of those 90's synths with tiny LCD screens and multiple sub-menus were a kill joy. Ensoniqs VFX SD line had some relatively large LCD screens, but I was told their supplier stopped production on those.

YamahaTX-802, Roland D550...I love them, but without an editor...much less value for myself.
Old 26th April 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Yes. You should try programming the Emu Morpheus with all the sub-menus. I'm assuming just about every other Emu rack synth of the 90s that followed the Morpheus had the same ZERO fun factor, which IMO pretty much killed them.

Or better yet a Oberheim Matrix 1000 that can't be programed without an editor.

Honestly all of those 90's synths with tiny LCD screens and multiple sub-menus were a kill joy. Ensoniqs VFX SD line had some relatively large LCD screens, but I was told their supplier stopped production on those.

YamahaTX-802, Roland D550...I love them, but without an editor...much less value for myself.
right, so the main thing is for patch editing. But i don't see the advantage for automation.
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Nut

To provide some answers and sum up...

Plug-in Automation - not all instrument have all parameters accessible via CCs so if you do want to change the value of a parameter in real time and that parameter doesn't have an associated CC there are two choices, program in the SysEx yourself or use automation. For those DAWs that don't support SysEx then automation is the only option.

Plug-in data storage - as already pointed out, there can be a real organizational advantage if you know that the SysEx data associated with a particular project is actually stored in that project. And yes, Midi Quest does do this.

Midi Quest is used by various people for various things. While it can do all of these things, we know of a lot of musicians who use it for only one of these features:

- a sound repository - for a musician who has more sounds than can be stored in the hardware, fast was to store, and find the sound for a particular project
- system configuration - a musician may not do any sound programming but use Midi Quest to handle all of their multi-timbral setup
- sound programming
- smart patch creation - we know of many people who use Midi Quest's smart new patch creation features to create all of their new sounds. They don't deal in individual parameter editing, they just have Midi Quest create new sounds for them and then they choose the ones that they like.
- synth backups - to avoid accidental data loss

With regards to what Kraznet had to say, Midi Quest was originally envisioned as program to create, store, and organize SysEx data. It was always assumed that through the use of patch changes, the DAW would select the desired patches or multi at the start of a song. He is asking Midi Quest to do this as well and currently it isn't designed to do this in a consistent way. we are looking at adding this in a future release if there is enough interest expressed.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 27th April 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
Ok.. i guess i never used a daw without sysex, (always been a logic user and now dabbling with PT and Cubase which both fully support sysex), AND, i have never needed to automate anything on a hardware synth other than filters. I don't know what else someone WOULD automate LOL! I'd love some examples. (i've never known a synth that doesn't output filter over CC, well, no synth with any digital circuitry, that's for sure).

That said i will go for essentials sometime in the next couple weeks, and will upgrade when the aax and 64 but is out.

Cheers!
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Nut

Yes, filters are the obvious one but I think volume levels of a multi-oscillator patch or envelopes are other common ones. I think other musicians will also modify their combi/multis in real time if it is easier than creating a series of them. I must admit that it is not something that we track.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 31st July 2016
Here for the gear
Hi Michael Lambie,

before I purchase Midi Quest, I have a few questions as an old sound-diver-user with several hardware synths, using Logic X and Emagic Unitor-Interfaces.

- Which Midi Quest-version do I need, when...

... I want to import all my old sound-diver libraries?,

... I want to program all my old modules and synths: Wavestation AD, JD990, SY99, Microwave I, JV2080, K5000S, V-Synth, MKS80, MKS70 with Vercoven 3.0, TX802, M1r-ex, K-1m, D-550, Desktop Evolver, Prophet08

...I want to make soundlists per song, with all sounds needed for one song,

...I want to edit all the Multisetups in several Synths?

Are my Interfaces (emagic unitor) useable together with Logic X and Midi Quest?

I did not find the SY99, Prophet08 and V-Synth in your list of synths. Will they be available in the future?

Thanks for Replying!

Last edited by Chiquitita; 31st July 2016 at 09:14 PM..
Old 1st August 2016
Gear Nut

If you want to read information from SD libraries, you will need Midi Quest Pro.

At present Midi Quest supports everything on your list except for:

SY99 (Midi Quest does support the SY77 compatible portion of the SY99)
V-synth
Vercoven 3.0 (standard MKS70 SysEx is supported)
Evolver
Prophet 08

Two of these instruments will be supported in the near future but we don't release the names of modules under development until they are released. Another two we expect to release over the next 12 months.

In Midi Quest, you can store all of the SysEx related to a song in a Collection. It is similar to an SD library but can also hold complete banks as well.

For each of the instruments you list, if it has a multisetup, Midi Quest has an editor for it.

The Mac OS ensures that Midi Quest and Logic X can run at the same time and share the MIDI interface.

I believe this covers all of your questions.
Old 1st August 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks for the answers.

When I buy the pro-Version, is Logic X supported? Can the Plug In Versions run in a 64Bit Environment?

I installed the Try out Versions, but can't find any Plug Ins; The Sound Diver Import Option does not work as well.
Can I try the Pro-Features?
Old 1st August 2016
Gear Nut

Logic X will be supported in the next release of Midi Quest Pro which will be x64 compatible. Some, but not many, have had success using the plug-ins with "32 Lives" to run the current version plug-in in x64 hosts.

The demo should be able to import data (assuming that Midi Quest supports the type of library you are supplying. It doesn't import absolutely every type of data because some SD data is stored in undocumented formats). Also, you will need to use "File/Open" to load the data. Drag and drop is broken at the OS level for carbon applications.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Maniac
Contemplating purchasing Midi Quest, but noticed today that most of the site seems to be 404ing. Hopefully that's just a glitch and not something more serious?

A bit reluctant to part with cash if theres a danger of support ending soon.
Old 4th August 2016
Gear Nut

I've just gone through all the major pages in the site as well as a good number of the instrument specific pages without a single 404. You'll need to give me more information on where this is occurring.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search