The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th March 2014
  #61
Gear Addict
Do the AU Plug-ins work in Logic Pro X?
Old 11th March 2014
  #62
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
Well, it says right at that page for one example:

"VST and AU automation record and playback of all parameter edits"
with a check mark confirming this is possible with MidiQuest Pro.

What Alesis Andromeda A6 parameters edits can be automated, recorded and playback if it doesn't have an editor or a VST/AU editor?
You're right, it was an oversight and has been removed.
Old 11th March 2014
  #63
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Do the AU Plug-ins work in Logic Pro X?
No. On Mac, Midi Quest is still 32-bit only.
Old 11th March 2014
  #64
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Very, very minor point while we have Sound Quest here, but why is the OSCar template labelled SSL OSCar?
Honestly, I don't know. The editor was provided to us by a Midi Quest user and was left it as he provided it.
Old 11th March 2014
  #65
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
When I tried to create audio units the program seized up for a while and then spit out an error message I never even got close to using it in a host
then knowing what the error was, the OS you are running, and the instruments you attempted to create plug-ins for would all be helpful.

As would the host you are using.
Old 12th March 2014
  #66
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
This method doesn't tell you the location of the data within the SysEx bulk dump, whether the range is conditional on the state of other parameters, whether the byte storing the data is bit masked to store other parameters as well, and so on.

Fine for a panel editor but not good enough for an editor/librarian.
So while this method can be used to create an editor for a synth the only way to save the edited patches would be by initializing a bulk dump from the synth itself....fair enough.
Old 28th March 2014
  #67
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Do the AU Plug-ins work in Logic Pro X?
EDIT: Happened to install 32 Lives from Sound Radix and tried the MQ11 AU plug-ins which actually works in Logic Pro X..
Old 24th April 2015
  #68
Gear Maniac
 

Well, its been a year since this conversation. Any long term users have caveats? I slowly mothballed over 20 mid-80's to mid 90's era synths and effects (Sequential's MultiTrak and Max, the Crumer Bit01, SQ80, CZ1, K2000, MicroQ X5DR, Studio Quad: the list goes on) as VST technology and computing power slowly caught up with each other. I kinda miss them. I had Sound Diver when it first came out years ago but I'm on Windows and we all know what happen there. I tried the Sound Quest demo years ago but it was a disaster for me.

Without going to the website I wonder if Sound Quest offers an upgrade price for those who have bought a license for only one synth. It might be worth it for my to try a full operational single synth version in such case, then upgrade if it works for me.
Old 24th April 2015
  #69
Gear Nut
 

Yes, you can upgrade through each version of Midi Quest. So you can start with Essentials and then go to the standard or pro versions if you want.
Old 24th April 2015
  #70
Gear Nut
 
quiet_storm's Avatar
the only caveat is it its one of the worst designed programs I've ever used. It does work though, if you spend enough time with it.
Old 24th April 2015
  #71
Gear Nut
 

I can't argue your opinion but I will say that over the years we have done our best to listen to feedback and suggestions from our customers and make the appropriate changes, improvements and enhancements. We are certainly willing to use your feedback in order to improve Midi Quest if you choose to provide it.
Old 24th April 2015
  #72
Gear Nut
 
quiet_storm's Avatar
Well, to SQ's credit, they do offer great technical support. My feedback is this: the UI is very dated, and I find the program is overall very unintuitive to use compared to modern software. Fix those things, and you will make many users of old synths very happy. Thanks!
Old 25th April 2015
  #73
Lives for gear
+1 on the GUI its very dated
Old 2nd July 2015
  #74
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet_storm View Post
My feedback is this: the UI is very dated, and I find the program is overall very unintuitive to use compared to modern software. Fix those things, and you will make many users of old synths very happy. Thanks!
I recall thinking the same thing, wondering why it wasn't possible to make the GUI look like a modern VST plugin.
Old 3rd July 2015
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Soothing Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Yes, you can upgrade through each version of Midi Quest. So you can start with Essentials and then go to the standard or pro versions if you want.
Just hire a good interface designer, you will see amazing profit because there's a market for this.
Old 3rd July 2015
  #76
Gear Addict
 

Save yourself the trouble and get a copy of Sounddiver off ebay. Much better than Midiquest IMHO.
Old 3rd July 2015
  #77
Lives for gear
 
rachel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Honestly, I don't know. The editor was provided to us by a Midi Quest user and was left it as he provided it.
I can answer that. The Oxford OSCar used a MIDI Manufacturer's ID of (I forget). As this was the Wild West days of uncertain MIDI specs, when OSC went bust, the SSL mixing desk manufacturer ended up with the ID. As things proceeded into the more modern era, it just stuck and the OSCar just happens to share that ID forevermore.

While I am here, I asked a kind person for help with the Sequential Multitrak I have, as I was unable to open the Panel for it on a Mac that has the software. I think the Panel is corrupt, as it has all the wrong info in the details dialogue. I asked someone on Windows to give me an unpacked version of the editor, so I could do a test, but they could not find it. Can somone please look at Multitrak Panel, install & open it and see if it works? If I can get that one panel working now, I will buy MQ, as I was able to use it on all my synths, including OSCar. I had to give the Mac back, but not before taking sysex dumps of all my gear and sound banks. I think we used MQ 10.x


Thanks...
rachel
Old 26th September 2015
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Soothing Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Sorry, but I don't follow this. The plug-in and the stand-alone versions of Midi Quest are completely independent. Closing one has no impact on the other. They're not even running in the same processes. Granted for the demo, it probably shouldn't ask you to save the file (although some would look at the demo and interpret that as MQ not being able to warn the user that they were about to lose modified data which is, of course incorrect) but you can either choose not to or if you attempt to save, MQ will simply say that the option is not available and proceed to quit. There is no need to perform a forced quit. I just tried it here and that's how MQ behaved.
I want to chime in about the Roland V-Synth support, which is none. On the other hand you offer support for the Roland V-Synth VC-1 card, what kind of deal is this?
Old 26th September 2015
  #79
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
I can answer that. The Oxford OSCar used a MIDI Manufacturer's ID of (I forget). As this was the Wild West days of uncertain MIDI specs, when OSC went bust, the SSL mixing desk manufacturer ended up with the ID. As things proceeded into the more modern era, it just stuck and the OSCar just happens to share that ID forevermore.

While I am here, I asked a kind person for help with the Sequential Multitrak I have, as I was unable to open the Panel for it on a Mac that has the software. I think the Panel is corrupt, as it has all the wrong info in the details dialogue. I asked someone on Windows to give me an unpacked version of the editor, so I could do a test, but they could not find it. Can somone please look at Multitrak Panel, install & open it and see if it works? If I can get that one panel working now, I will buy MQ, as I was able to use it on all my synths, including OSCar. I had to give the Mac back, but not before taking sysex dumps of all my gear and sound banks. I think we used MQ 10.x


Thanks...
rachel
We just opened up the SCI Multitrack editor on a Mac here. No problems. You should be able to try this out with a Midi Quest demo if you want.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 2nd January 2016
  #80
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
I can't argue your opinion but I will say that over the years we have done our best to listen to feedback and suggestions from our customers and make the appropriate changes, improvements and enhancements. We are certainly willing to use your feedback in order to improve Midi Quest if you choose to provide it.
Please improve the price for Essentials or provide a basic librarian version. There is a 0% chance I would pay for Essentials at $149 when all I need is to simply save my patches from an analog polysynth before performing an upgrade to it, and then restore the patches back to it. I don't need any editing or the VST/AU functions.
Old 2nd January 2016
  #81
Lives for gear
 
massimo's Avatar
 

I asked this on another thread.
I would perhaps consider purchasing the MQ11 for programming (and storing patches of) the Voyetra 8, the MKS80 and the Ensoniq ESQm.
Any of you guys have direct experience with these particular machines?

best regards
and Best Wishes
Massimo
Old 2nd January 2016
  #82
Here for the gear
Does anyone know if a MIDI Quest license is transferrable? Anyone who's has problems with it want to transfer it to me so I can give it a go?
Old 2nd January 2016
  #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I asked this on another thread.
I would perhaps consider purchasing the MQ11 for programming (and storing patches of) the Voyetra 8, the MKS80 and the Ensoniq ESQm.
Any of you guys have direct experience with these particular machines?

best regards
and Best Wishes
Massimo
I use it with the ESQm and it works like a charm. There is a bug I just reported in its automation implementation (just for that device that I know of), but if you aren't recording your edits in real-time that won't be a problem for you, and likely that bug will be fixed soon.

If you have an expansion cartridge, it does not see those patches directly. You need to copy the ones you want to work with from it into the main storage using the controls on the rack unit.

Otherwise, I could not be happier. Editing is a dream using MidiQuest.

Terry
Old 3rd January 2016
  #84
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaytag View Post
Please improve the price for Essentials or provide a basic librarian version. There is a 0% chance I would pay for Essentials at $149 when all I need is to simply save my patches from an analog polysynth before performing an upgrade to it, and then restore the patches back to it. I don't need any editing or the VST/AU functions.
We are considering this but we had a Librarian only version of Midi Quest a decade ago and we discontinued it due to lack of interest. It is still extremely rare for anyone to request this Midi Quest configuration.

Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.
Old 3rd January 2016
  #85
Lives for gear
 
abruzzi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMaytag View Post
Please improve the price for Essentials or provide a basic librarian version. There is a 0% chance I would pay for Essentials at $149 when all I need is to simply save my patches from an analog polysynth before performing an upgrade to it, and then restore the patches back to it. I don't need any editing or the VST/AU functions.
If that's all you want to do, then see if you can initiate the SYSEX dump from the synth itself (most synths have this feature.). The just record on a MIDI sequencer while you initiate the dump. The sequencer records the SYSEX, then after the upgrade, play back the sequence to restore the patches. Alternatively there is a free OS X program (and probably something similar on Windows) called SYSEX Librarian that can record, save, and playback SYSEX dumps.

This approach doesn't give all the librarian benefits (being able to build custom banks out of patches from multiple banks) but it sounds like you aren't looking for that.
Old 3rd January 2016
  #86
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
My wish would be for MidiQuest to create profiles for DSI Instruments. SoundTower is just...horrible. I use SoundTowers editor for the PolyEvolver and Moog Voyager. I refuse to buy a SoundTower for the Prophet 6. The Library functions are beyond horrible.

The Prophet 6 is becoming quite a popular synth. My serial number is over 2500.

I'm curious if this has been considered, and if so what stops SoundQuest?

I have been using MidiQuest 11 to interface 13 hardware synths for a little over a year without many issues. It's expensive, and they don't do Black Friday sales. I'm still in the LONG process of converting patches from Unisyn to MidiQuest.

Michale has provided excellent support.
Old 3rd January 2016
  #87
Lives for gear
 
MinoCan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
I want to chime in about the Roland V-Synth support, which is none. On the other hand you offer support for the Roland V-Synth VC-1 card, what kind of deal is this?
It's a late reply but will chime in about this.

VC-1 Uniquest comes in CD for editing (if you bought a complete boxed version of course). So they have the implementation, thus added in full version, too.
Old 3rd January 2016
  #88
Gear Addict
MidiQuest 11 Pro is a fairly expensive investment but when you consider how many synths are supported it's quite an incredible feat. But obviously if you only have 1 or 2 synths it's not quite the same bargain. I currently have 17 so it was worth the investment although no support for my Technics WSA1 or my soon to be delivered Dave Smith Prophet 12. Although that has its own editor.
Old 3rd January 2016
  #89
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
We are considering this but we had a Librarian only version of Midi Quest a decade ago and we discontinued it due to lack of interest. It is still extremely rare for anyone to request this Midi Quest configuration.
A decade ago, many programmable analog synths were still in operation and had little need to have their patches backed up. A decade ago, a lot of older hardware synths were being abandoned in favor of VST's and other software like Reason. A lot has changed since then, notably the ability to upgrade the OS'es and/or CPU's of synths like the Juno-106, JX-3P, Polysix (previous three by Kiwitechnics), Jupiter-6 (Europa), Prophet-600 (Gligli), and probably a lot more than I know of.

I'd happily drop $50 for the essentials version of your software, or some form of stripped down version of it. Why not offer a basic version and follow the Apple App Store model and offer upgrades to added features? This way, you remove the barrier to purchase your product to folks who have just 1 synth that won't benefit from the vast amount of synths your software works with.
Old 4th January 2016
  #90
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
Alternatively there is a free OS X program (and probably something similar on Windows) called SYSEX Librarian that can record, save, and playback SYSEX dumps.
This won't really work, as the SCI Prophet-600 won't transmit a bulk dump. I have to transmit each preset, one at a time. I'm in the middle of doing this, but I'm not 100% sure it's transmitting the patches back to the Prophet.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump