The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
at this point i have a few questions to email to the SoundQuest people. it would’ve been nice to have a list of “limitations” for the demo so one wouldn’t go too crazy trying to figure things out.
There is a list. The online manual at Midi Quest manual has a section called "Demo Limitations" in the first/Introduction chapter. This should give you the information you need.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Sorry, but I don't follow this. The plug-in and the stand-alone versions of Midi Quest are completely independent. Closing one has no impact on the other. They're not even running in the same processes. Granted for the demo, it probably shouldn't ask you to save the file (although some would look at the demo and interpret that as MQ not being able to warn the user that they were about to lose modified data which is, of course incorrect) but you can either choose not to or if you attempt to save, MQ will simply say that the option is not available and proceed to quit. There is no need to perform a forced quit. I just tried it here and that's how MQ behaved.
i can't say that i know why but i guarantee you that if i have a MQ plugin running in Logic then MQ standalone won't quit until i "unplug" the plugin or quit Logic. then it'll quit. otherwise MQ standalone shows you the "save dialog" and no matter what you click it wont let you quit.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
kind of a bummer. this means you’ve got 3 tracks for each synth. 1. midi notes 2. midiquest 3. audio.
I'm not sure why you're bummed. We're giving you the way to configure Logic, or any other DAW, to get the most accurate timing from your system. You can start from that and make your own decision as to whether you prefer that configuration or if you prefer a situation where all MIDI events are routed through the plug-in. This is less accurate from a MIDI perspective because these plug-in environments (VST and AU) were designed to process audio, not handle MIDI output. This is a limitation of the host environment and is not something that we can do anything about. With that said, if you are using a very small sample buffer, you probably will not hear the difference. Now, you can make your own informed decision as to how you use the plug-in.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're bummed. We're giving you the way to configure Logic, or any other DAW, to get the most accurate timing from your system. You can start from that and make your own decision as to whether you prefer that configuration or if you prefer a situation where all MIDI events are routed through the plug-in. This is less accurate from a MIDI perspective because these plug-in environments (VST and AU) were designed to process audio, not handle MIDI output. This is a limitation of the host environment and is not something that we can do anything about. With that said, if you are using a very small sample buffer, you probably will not hear the difference. Now, you can make your own informed decision as to how you use the plug-in.
it's just "kind" of a bummer cos it would be nice to handle everything in one track. no big deal though it's just more tracks on the screen to deal with.

having said that it just occurred to me one might use the "external instrument" plugin and just have two tracks.

btw. thanks for stopping by to lend a hand.

Last edited by drambitz; 9th March 2014 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's too bad you couldn't get the automation to work properly, but hopefully that's just some sort of demo limitation..
Yes, it is a demo limitation. With demos you basically have two choices, a demo that has functionality disabled or a demo that will only run for a limited period of time. I suppose our personal preferences have lead us to take the first option. Why? There have been too many cases of us trying to provide support to a client on a sequencer that we don't own. So, download a demo. Whoops! the demo won't run because we installed a demo of the same program two years ago. We too often find that a purchase decision can be made over the course of a six months to a year or more. Fully active demos don't last that long and we want people to be able to come back to our demo in the future and be able to run it, not find it fully inactive and non-functional.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Regarding the A-880, and other MIDI patch bays for that matter (nb. remember a MIDI patch bay is not a multi port MIDI interface), is that while they are fine with standard MIDI events - note on/off, controllers, etc - they are no longer able to properly handle SysEx bulk dumps from many MIDI interfaces or instruments. The dumps are too large and dense and the hardware patch bays choke on it. For years, our manuals have recommended initially disconnecting MIDI patch bays when getting started with Midi Quest because of the problems that they frequently cause. At this point, I would highly recommend using a modern multi port MIDI interface instead of a patch bay.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Regardng auto-detect or auto-sense, it isn't so much a matter of reliability as it is usefulness.

There are lots older instruments that do not have dump requests implemented - auto-detect will not work with these.

Most Korg instruments ship with SysEx disabled so auto-detect will not work with these in their default state. You need to manually change the instrument settings. You might as well set the MQ ports at the same time.

If you have a setup with a large number of MIDI ports then by the time MQ has worked through all of the ports to find the correct combination of settings, you could probably have done the setup manually in a fraction of the time.

Auto-sense is fast and efficient under two conditions. You have a small MIDI setup. Your MIDI instrument(s) support the MIDI standard device inquiry - and most of the devices supported by Midi Quest do not. The system has worked very well for licensing UniQuest to Psicraft for use with Akai, TC Electronic, Line 6, TC Helicon and other hardware where the customers may not be quite so MIDI savvy and have small MIDI systems.

The upshot is that everyone likes the idea of this feature and everyone wants to see it. However, given the limitations of the MIDI hardware Midi Quest is working with, its usually faster and easier to simply turn the option off and do things manually.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
I think the inability to resize the editor window is a limitation of Logic and/or the AU plugin format. Not many VST or AU plugin windows can be resized as you probably know.

Also, isn't the default behavior for plugin windows to be "Always on top" in Logic (and in most other DAWs)? So again, I don't think this is a bug with Midi Quest but is rather the way plugin windows function in Logic.
i'm sorry m8 you're absolutely RIGHT! i'll correct my post asap. to think i wrote that stuff with logic open in front of me let alone that i use it all the time.

where's the strikethrough...
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambitz View Post
i can't say that i know why but i guarantee you that if i have a MQ plugin running in Logic then MQ standalone won't quit until i "unplug" the plugin or quit Logic. then it'll quit. otherwise MQ standalone shows you the "save dialog" and no matter what you click it wont let you quit.
Ok. I'm not able to replicate the problem here.

Midi Quest and the plug-in are two entirely separate executable entities and live in two separate processes. They don't talk to each other in any way so its not as though one program can literally stop the other from opening or closing. With that said, both programs use the same code and display resources. If there is a problem there, it would seem to be an OS issue and I'm not sure what we would be able to do to resolve it in the short term other than recommend that if you are experiencing this problem to not run the plug-in and stand alone at the same time.

Is there any chance that there is a Midi Quest dialog hidden behind Logic and so the stand-alone won't close simply because its waiting for a response? (Believe me, I've seen weirder things happen)
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok. I'm not able to replicate the problem here.

Midi Quest and the plug-in are two entirely separate executable entities and live in two separate processes. They don't talk to each other in any way so its not as though one program can literally stop the other from opening or closing. With that said, both programs use the same code and display resources. If there is a problem there, it would seem to be an OS issue and I'm not sure what we would be able to do to resolve it in the short term other than recommend that if you are experiencing this problem to not run the plug-in and stand alone at the same time.

Is there any chance that there is a Midi Quest dialog hidden behind Logic and so the stand-alone won't close simply because its waiting for a response? (Believe me, I've seen weirder things happen)
it is entirely possible. i'll give it a go again tomorrow but just earlier it happened again. this time i deleted the "instruments" from the "studio" environment and it closed.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

updated post with corrections.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hmmm... not being able to use my A-880 would be a bit of a deal breaker. I currently send and receive SysEx from my JD-990 with no problems. I'm really not going to start getting round the back of the rack (stop sniggering, Smithers!) and start repatching my MIDI cables every time I want to use MQ or anything else for that matter.

I shall see if I can get it working via the A-880. If not as stated it may well not be MQ11's fault, but I won't sensibly be able to use it.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Hmmm... not being able to use my A-880 would be a bit of a deal breaker. I currently send and receive SysEx from my JD-990 with no problems. I'm really not going to start getting round the back of the rack (stop sniggering, Smithers!) and start repatching my MIDI cables every time I want to use MQ or anything else for that matter.

I shall see if I can get it working via the A-880. If not as stated it may well not be MQ11's fault, but I won't sensibly be able to use it.
That's fine and we understand this. What we are trying to make clear is this. There are vague reports about Midi Quest "not working" and people tend to just blame the software. The reality is that your Midi Quest experience is very much dependent on the combination of MIDI devices, MIDI interfaces and MIDI routing equipment in your system (sometimes even including the firmware versions of each piece). There are still MIDI interfaces being sold today which don't handle SysEx properly. There is (usually older) MIDI routing and processing hardware still in use today which doesn't handle SysEx properly. Midi Quest frequently gets caught up in this particularly when the devices are chained rather than having a direct connection to a MIDI interface. With all of that said, if you are able to send SysEx through your A-880 from other software then there is no reason why Midi Quest can't. It then becomes simply a matter of getting the configuration right.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Sound Quest, why your website still states there IS editor support for A6 Andromeda even though that's not the case?

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
Sound Quest, why your website still states there IS editor support for A6 Andromeda even though that's not the case?
We've never claimed editor support. We do claim librarian support which we have. Look at the title on the page.

Look at any instrument page with editor and librarian support, we show the editors right on the page. On the Andromeda page, we say its a librarian and we don't show any editor images.

Alesis A6 Andromeda Librarian

"Alesis A6 Andromeda LIBRARIAN"
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Kurzweil 2600 support

MQ11 supports the Kurz 2000 and 2500 but what with the K26 series?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
We have had some customers report success with the K2500 editor but officially we don't support the K2600 (and many have reported that the K2500 editor did not work).

A number of years ago we had a meeting with Kurzweil reps at NAMM to discuss obtaining K2600 documentation so we could add an editor to Midi Quest. We were told that all SysEx documentation had been lost as a result of the company's multiple ownership changes. Without documentation, it is pretty much impossible for us to consider creating an editor.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A number of years ago we had a meeting with Kurzweil reps at NAMM to discuss obtaining K2600 documentation so we could add an editor to Midi Quest. We were told that all SysEx documentation had been lost as a result of the company's multiple ownership changes. Without documentation, it is pretty much impossible for us to consider creating an editor.
I hate when that happens to synth companies. The K2600 is such a great synth, it's too bad for it. So maybe to state/ask the obvious, but there is no chance the K2500 editor would work with the K2600 for some of the parameters?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I hate when that happens to synth companies. The K2600 is such a great synth, it's too bad for it. So maybe to state/ask the obvious, but there is no chance the K2500 editor would work with the K2600 for some of the parameters?
You can certainly try with the demo and it will be pretty obvious which work and which do not. We have not worked with the 2600 - too many other things to do. However, I would expect that most of the ancillary data will work - quick access, velocity maps, pressure maps, intonation maps, and probably key maps. Multi timbral setups may also work. The problem is that what most people will probably want to use, the program editor, probably doesn't.

If you are going to experiment, rather than trying to load everything at once into a Set, I would suggest trying to load one type of data type at a time. If it will load, it will also send (although you can't test this in the demo). This will give you a sense of what parts are working and what parts are not. Also, since I'm suggesting that you work at the component level, stick with the components that are titled "Bank X". The drivers marked "All" or "Bank" without a number are deprecated but we keep them for those who have already saved data with them.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

I downloaded the demo but the audiounits don't compile.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
I downloaded the demo but the audiounits don't compile.
There is no compile process to create an audio unit. The code is already compiled.

What host are you using?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I found with the K2000 that sysex reception is so slow there is no point to using it. No matter what editor you use, it's the same.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have made Cubase MIDI device panels without any SysEx documentation by simply examining the list editor after recording parameter changes made on the actual hardware.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I found with the K2000 that sysex reception is so slow there is no point to using it. No matter what editor you use, it's the same.
I'll second that from my memories of trying it either with that, or my 2500 rack unit. I wonder why that is? I remember looking at the SysEx docs for my Peavey DPM SP and being shocked that it had to send this giant block of data every time one single parameter within it was tweaked. You couldn't separate them. I wonder if it's something like that.

BTW- I'm not sure I'd buy that mess about them "losing" the SysEx docs. A K2600 doesn't seem old enough that there would be no digital copy of something like that, and once something's digitized we all know the rest. They could track it down if they really wanted to.

George
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
I have made Cubase MIDI device panels without any SysEx documentation by simply examining the list editor after recording parameter changes made on the actual hardware.
This method doesn't tell you the location of the data within the SysEx bulk dump, whether the range is conditional on the state of other parameters, whether the byte storing the data is bit masked to store other parameters as well, and so on.

Fine for a panel editor but not good enough for an editor/librarian.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis View Post
I'll second that from my memories of trying it either with that, or my 2500 rack unit. I wonder why that is? I remember looking at the SysEx docs for my Peavey DPM SP and being shocked that it had to send this giant block of data every time one single parameter within it was tweaked. You couldn't separate them. I wonder if it's something like that.

BTW- I'm not sure I'd buy that mess about them "losing" the SysEx docs. A K2600 doesn't seem old enough that there would be no digital copy of something like that, and once something's digitized we all know the rest. They could track it down if they really wanted to.

George
Whether Kurzweil's statement is true or not really isn't the issue. The result is the same - no documentation means no editor.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
There is no compile process to create an audio unit. The code is already compiled.

What host are you using?
When I tried to create audio units the program seized up for a while and then spit out an error message I never even got close to using it in a host
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Very, very minor point while we have Sound Quest here, but why is the OSCar template labelled SSL OSCar?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict
Is there any chance you can fix the download link for MQ Pro Windows x64? I've been trying to download it for the last 5 days.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
We've never claimed editor support. We do claim librarian support which we have. Look at the title on the page.

Look at any instrument page with editor and librarian support, we show the editors right on the page. On the Andromeda page, we say its a librarian and we don't show any editor images.

Alesis A6 Andromeda Librarian

"Alesis A6 Andromeda LIBRARIAN"

Well, it says right at that page for one example:

"VST and AU automation record and playback of all parameter edits"
with a check mark confirming this is possible with MidiQuest Pro.

What Alesis Andromeda A6 parameters edits can be automated, recorded and playback if it doesn't have an editor or a VST/AU editor?

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search