The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

That sounds like a plan to me.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut
@bax...
My bad...when I clicked on the name he gave, it showed me a single port jobbie....
Those racks make more sense...never heard of them before now.

The value of MQ can be debated, it's really the only solution if you have a valid use case for it. Most newer guys are just not gonna have that much hardware,or desire/chops to tweak patches so maybe not for them.

Since the corporate appledeath of SoundDiver this is the only way forward that I see.

After seeing my JD990's guts in the editor window, all at once, I realized that it's almost impossible to see the synth architecture from "on high" via the built in display. The whole "build a ship in a bottle thing".

When we get 64 bit plug-ins and the ability to edit/touch any hardware module's parameters from inside of Logic/ProTools/etc., this tools value will multiply for me.
For instance, I imagine seeing my MOTIF rack XS and other synths on an instrument track right next to Kontakt/Omnisphere ...mapped to real KNOBS.

At that point, it's worth the price to me. YMMV.
Old 30th January 2019
bax
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbill View Post
The value of MQ can be debated, it's really the only solution if you have a valid use case for it. Most newer guys are just not gonna have that much hardware,or desire/chops to tweak patches so maybe not for them.
Totally agree; I've got enough stuff that is sysex-only that it may be worth my $$$, but I also have stadnalone editors for enough of my gear (Mystery Islands stuff, one-offs, etc.) that I've been on the fence for a long time with MQ. I've had the UniQuest/Vyzex for a couple of products (VC-1, MPD32) and it wasn't bad. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger when MQ12 comes around assuming great 64-bit compatibility/operability/stability, and I'm hopeful for *some* graphical improvement. Having a unified librarian that really, actually, truthfully, honest-to-all-get-out, for-real works would be my personal reason for going ahead and jumping onboard. [snif] Ah, SoundDiver... [/snif]

I honestly was more satisfied from a synth "control" standpoint with rolling my own hardware templates on my ReMOTE SL (1st gen was best for this; the MkII changed some stuff but still did OK, but now the Mk3 has changed even more and dropped sysex altogether...GRRRR). I agree that true and reliable host integration would be helpful as well. Can be done with enough work and patience (and I have also gone swimming in development waters both professionally and personally) but that really takes away from the "being a musician" side of music and I'd pay for a well-thought-out and implemented solution on that front. Cubase Panels are about the best in-host solution I've found, but I'm hopeful MQ12 finally makes this an actual reality across (mostly) all DAWs...
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Again,
Sorry to say the issue I have had existed long before I got the MIO10s. I had both Motu boxes and Elyseum 88s which are run via ethernet cables and still had the same issues.
I guess I will try again when 12 comes out before I give up entirely.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

I have two Alyseum U3-88c boxes and about 10 modules hooked up to it and everything works perfectly with MQ...
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmirk View Post
Hi Again,
Sorry to say the issue I have had existed long before I got the MIO10s. I had both Motu boxes and Elyseum 88s which are run via ethernet cables and still had the same issues.
I can't speak to your issues because I don't know what they are but, at this point, even with v11 it is a rare case where there is a problem with Midi Quest to the degree that an instrument doesn't work at all. To have a whole series of instruments where the failure is Midi Quest, I don't want to say it is unheard of because I don't like to make absolute statements, but it would be a very, very, long time. Like Win 3.1 long time.

How old are your MOTU boxes? You are aware that for a period of time MOTU's best interfaces were not handling SysEx properly. We've had to deal with a good number of customers who needed to switch or upgrade their interfaces. The MOTU units we have here are fine but not all units are.

We have much less experience with Elyseum interfaces but we do know that they have a problem with instruments that can't handle SysEx at full bandwidth. In this case, bulk dumps need to be broken down into smaller chunks and the Elyseum system can't handle this and maintain the proper relative time separation. The number of instruments where this applies is small but it exists none the less.

What instruments are you working with?
Old 31st January 2019
Quote:
Hi Again,
Have you upgraded the Mio firmware? They recently released multi-client drivers. I have MidiQuest working with synths connected using Windows 8, but have not tested extensively.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

What instruments are you working with?[/QUOTE]
VSynth GT
MKS 50,70 and 80
Prophet VS
Yamaha EX5R
ESQ1M
Micro Q
Nord Rack 2
Prophet 5
OB Xpander

I also have quite a few unsupported instruments:
Solaris
Modal 002
Moog Lil Phatty
Kprg Oasys
Roland JD-XA
Roland SE-02
Roland D-05
Roland SH-01A
OB-XA
Elka Synthex
Roland Jupiter 80

And every VST imaginable.
I am not using the Motu boxes anymore. The Connectivity boxes have a much tighter midi feel for me.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
What instruments are you working with?
VSynth GT
MKS 50,70 and 80
Prophet VS
Yamaha EX5R
ESQ1M
Micro Q
Nord Rack 2
Prophet 5
OB Xpander

I also have quite a few unsupported instruments:
Solaris
Modal 002
Moog Lil Phatty
Kprg Oasys
Roland JD-XA
Roland SE-02
Roland D-05
Roland SH-01A
OB-XA
Elka Synthex
Roland Jupiter 80

And every VST imaginable.
I am not using the Motu boxes anymore. The Connectivity boxes have a much tighter midi feel for me.[/QUOTE]

Ok, some of these can be quirky/problematic but the Prophet VS, EX5R, ESQm, Micro Q, MKS-70, Nord Rack 2, and Oberheim Expander all have pretty straight ahead SysEx so I would expect these to work without much difficulty. Judicious use the Monitor window might give some clue as to what the problem is assuming you are talking about basic communication.

MQ12 will add support for the Korg OASYS and Roland SH-01A. Our understanding, which we haven't had a chance to verify, is that the Roland D-05 is a repackaged VC-1 so we expect that it will also work.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut
My Nord rack, Roland MKS 50 and 70, Yamaha EX5 and EX5 Rack work fine here, as well many others.
You saying nothing works at all?
I can't believe that MQ could screw up like that across the board.
Something in your setup, something global...
A great many people are using MQ successfully.
Can you list your system specs?
CPU,Motherboard,OS,etc.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

It is intermittent.
I believe it is better with the latest firmware for the MIO10s.
MQ gets sounds from the EX5 but then sometimes when I edit a parameter the unit will just go silent.
I have not test the MKS 50 and 70 with the latest firmware update. I will try that tomorrow.
I am on a MAC Pro 2,7 12 core with 64 gigs of RAM Mac OSX 10.13
Thanks for your help.
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Grace period

Is there a grace period if i buy Midi Quest 11 now?
Old 7th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvfur View Post
Is there a grace period if i buy Midi Quest 11 now?
For recent purchasers, there will be an upgrade price of $10.
Old 14th February 2019
Here for the gear

Any word on update?

Hi,
Any word on when the update might be available? The website is unchanged so it would be great to know if you have a guess. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi,
Any word on when the update might be available? The website is unchanged so it would be great to know if you have a guess. Thanks.
This has been answered many times already. I admit, I asked, also. It'll be announced...when it's announced.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
MQ12 will add support for the Korg OASYS and Roland SH-01A. Our understanding, which we haven't had a chance to verify, is that the Roland D-05 is a repackaged VC-1 so we expect that it will also work.
Any chance MQ12 is going to support our nice purple friend some of us have --
Mr. FIZMO.

Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe-stubbysquid.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe-stubbysquid.jpg  
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdude View Post
Any chance MQ12 is going to support our nice purple friend some of us have --
Mr. FIZMO.
On release, no. We know that the Fizmo SysEx is similar to the MR series but we haven't been able to access a unit and we haven't had the opportunity to work with someone who already has Midi Quest to develop support.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
On release, no. We know that the Fizmo SysEx is similar to the MR series but we haven't been able to access a unit and we haven't had the opportunity to work with someone who already has Midi Quest to develop support.
Hi,

Let me know... i have MQ11 and a Fizmo in place.

Thomas
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is there a list of synths that are planned for the new update?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search