The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbill View Post
MQ appears to generate 32bit VST and AU plugins. Why in 2019?
This will be a fantastic feature/tool when its 64bit. Clocks a ticking....
OK that makes my decision for me, can't really use 32 bit plug ins on OSX except under Reaper, and time is limited on that. I'm assuming this will come in version 12?
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Check with SQ, don't know if he will revise 11 or release 12.
I know my client is running 11. I've been using it to configure his studio...
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
1.I want to open a window which loads a sysex bank from a file(source) with the patches listed.
2.Also open a window with the connected hardware patches(destination) listed.
Drag a patch or patches to the hardware. SAVE.
3. I don't want to have to choose between patch OR patch edit window. Option to open both at the same time needed.
These are all normal expectations for a librarian/editor, don't you think?

I don't see a way to do those simple functions in midi quest....such a simple thing. If they're possible,please refer me to where/how.
Documentation is so important to the "out of the box" experience.
I can see from a message below that you've sorted some of this out.

First, yes, we believe in documentation. We have a pdf manual that's about 900 pages, there is online help accessible from the support tab of our web site, and for Windows, just about everything has a context sensitive link to a Windows Help file.

1. Assuming you have the associated instrument modules installed in Midi Quest. You can drag and drop an .syx or .mid file and Midi Quest will automatically allocate the appropriate editors and move the SysEx in. A single file can have SysEx from multiple instruments.

2. In Midi Quest, SAVE is saving SysEx from the program to disk. GET is instrument to Midi Quest. PUT or Transmit is Midi Quest to the instrument. Bulk transmits are handled from the MIDI menu and the window's context menu (which you have found). For banks depending on the instrument's SysEx implementation you either Transmit the entire bank or optionally are able select individual patches from the bank and transmit just those entries.

Midi Quest has two memory management modes: virtual and synchronized. Virtual is the default mode and where you must specifically send SysEx from Midi Quest to the instrument. However, if Midi Quest "knows" that the SysEx it has is the same as the contents of the instrument's then it automatically "synchronizes". In this mode, any bank editing made in Midi Quest is automatically echoed to the instrument in the background so that Midi Quest and the instrument are always "in sync".

3. Sorry, I don't understand this. Patch data will always open in an editor unless there isn't one (about 5% of Midi Quest instruments are librarian only), or you have chosen a specific option such as "save directly to disk" where an editor wouldn't be expected. Or, possibly I have misunderstood your comment?
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I should have added that I think this is a good thing that you're doing...
Just a little adjustment here and there.....
Need a way to skip scanning every time it boots. Don't want to scan all my hardware just to quickly change the glide/legato on my JD990 for example...."Cancel all" "cancel" buttons are slow...
Audition could be much better. More patterns,etc.
MQ appears to generate 32bit VST and AU plugins. Why in 2019?
This will be a fantastic feature/tool when its 64bit. Clocks a ticking....
If you want to avoid scanning (and this won't work with a demo version) simply save the SysEx you load to disk. When you quit Midi Quest, it records each open window's contents and location so the next time you run, all SysEx is reopened as it was. You can also create, save and reload custom layouts if you want.

64-bit plug-ins coming in Midi Quest 12. You'll see multiple references to the new release in this thread.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
I'm fine on all counts.
Once I understood that the menus are context sensitive I was fine.
Big Question Everyone Wants To Know
When will the plugins be 64bit?
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Do you have a release date?
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
OK that makes my decision for me, can't really use 32 bit plug ins on OSX except under Reaper, and time is limited on that. I'm assuming this will come in version 12?
You are correct. 64-bit support for Mac in MQ12.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Big Question Everyone Wants To Know
When will the plugins be 64bit?
I know I'm answering this multiple times...

Plugins will be 64-bit in MQ12.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Do you have a release date?
We haven't done official release dates in 20 years. It is close but we are waiting for a bug fix for some code from a 3rd party so when they are ready, we should be good to go as well.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
You guys should see the hardware frenzy this has caused here at my place:

1. Vecoven Mods for JX10 and MKS70
2. Kiwi mod for Juno 106
3. KIWI Controller(hardware)
4. Korg Wavestation and M1 refresh.
5. SD mods./floppy replace for:
6.Kurzweil K2500r
7.Triton Rack
8.Roland 760/750
9. Second Midi Express XT
10. A feather duster, because this stuff was put up and largely forgotten....

Thanks Mr. SoundQuest!
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Are Vecoven mods for JX/MKS supported?

Also, v1.23 OS for Matrix 1000 (by Gligli or Untergeek or whoever else built upon that afterwards)?
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Good Question...
I imagine that SQ would need a physical unit at hand to do this?
I'll be typing patches in by hand, if need be....Simple to add more banks in LogicX.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
You guys should see the hardware frenzy this has caused here at my place:

1. Vecoven Mods for JX10 and MKS70
2. Kiwi mod for Juno 106
3. KIWI Controller(hardware)
4. Korg Wavestation and M1 refresh.
5. SD mods./floppy replace for:
6.Kurzweil K2500r
7.Triton Rack
8.Roland 760/750
9. Second Midi Express XT
10. A feather duster, because this stuff was put up and largely forgotten....

Thanks Mr. SoundQuest!
You're welcome.

MQ12 won't have the Vecoven OS supported on release but given the amount of interest we are seeing expressed I would expect it shortly afterwards.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Good Question...
I imagine that SQ would need a physical unit at hand to do this?
I'll be typing patches in by hand, if need be....Simple to add more banks in LogicX.
Our preference is a unit inhouse. However, if we have someone with MQ who is willing to do the testing and assist us with debugging and we have reasonable documentation to work from then we can often get an instrument editor working properly without it having to be physically here.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Are Vecoven mods for JX/MKS supported?

Also, v1.23 OS for Matrix 1000 (by Gligli or Untergeek or whoever else built upon that afterwards)?

We will have the KIWI upgrade for the M1000 available shortly. For Gligli support, I expect we will need to work with someone that already has MQ and the upgrade for a reasonable turnaround.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
I can help. I'm a software engineer, and have a fairly extensive midi rig.
Call on me...
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
We will have the KIWI upgrade for the M1000 available shortly. For Gligli support, I expect we will need to work with someone that already has MQ and the upgrade for a reasonable turnaround.
Personally I'm not a fan of Kiwi's M1000 mod, it changes the modulators (has no ramps), whereas Gligli/Bob Grieb's just solves some sysex bugs and allows much faster tweaking of parameters, adds voice detune feature, which is really great... Not even sure if it's THAT different to the vanilla M1000 - it just adds the voice detune parameter (CC #94 ), and adds NRPN control along with sysex - which actually might prove faster to use in practice than sysex.

Matrix 1000 Firmware

Here's a list of NRPNs for it:

http://www.untergeek.de/wp-content/u...parameters.pdf
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Does this software work effectively for anyone? I have about 30 hardware synths in my studio and have been unable to get it to work. I would be willing to pay someone in LA to come tell me what I am doing wrong. It would really be great if it would work for me as there is really no solution to the librarian/editor problem. Help?
I am using the IConnectivity MIO 10s (4 of them) for my synths. The boxes are rock solid so I don't think they are the issue.
Thanks,Paul
PS.Not meaning to slam the software or anyone's work. I just can't get it to work for me.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut
Yes, it works well.
I'm controlling 14 synths with it.
Being able to edit on the computer screen makes it easy to give those old hardware units a new lease on life.
Something that I don't see mentioned is that every midi device must be in a loop. The loop is necessary for the handshaking to work.
1.Midi out from interface to synth Midi in.
2.Synth Midi out to interface Midi in
3.Use 1 midi port per synth. no daisy chaining.
4.Set Midi transmit speed as low as possible.

Are your 30 hardware synths all connected as above?
You would need several interfaces for 30 synths.
Give me 6, then you won't have to buy so many interfaces...:-)
Most Midi interfaces are maxed at 8 physical ports(in/out).
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut
Those interfaces you mentioned are single port.
Being that you have 4, you can only control 4 synths with those.
You need multi-port interfaces like the MOTU Midi Express XT...
These are 8 in, 8 out Midi interfaces.
I use 2 for a total of 16in/16out ports.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut
Those iConnect things use a usb port, right?
Do you have 4 usb ports to devote to midi?
Wrong product.
Old 30th January 2019
bax
Gear Head

Quote:
Those interfaces you mentioned are single port.
Being that you have 4, you can only control 4 synths with those.
You need multi-port interfaces like the MOTU Midi Express XT...
These are 8 in, 8 out Midi interfaces.
I use 2 for a total of 16in/16out ports.
Sorry to correct here, but he stated he is using the iConnectivity mio10 units (4 of them) which gives him a total of 40 physical pairs of DIN in/out ports as well as a lot of USB MIDI and RTP (network MIDI) capabilities. mio10 — iConnectivity

I have a similar setup; 30-ish hardware synths/samplers running into two mio10s and two MOTU MIDIExpress XTs. The mio10s are outstanding interfaces and I fully intend to replace my MOTUs with two more mio10s eventually. I dedicate DIN ports to just about everything in my rig, but some things work and play very well with the mio10 over USB MIDI (Blofeld, as one example) .

I totally agree it is a very good idea (if not an absolute requirement) to dedicate individual in/out pairs to each device if using librarians of any type for stability reasons if nothing else...

Thanks!
bax
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmirk View Post
Does this software work effectively for anyone? I have about 30 hardware synths in my studio and have been unable to get it to work. I would be willing to pay someone in LA to come tell me what I am doing wrong. It would really be great if it would work for me as there is really no solution to the librarian/editor problem. Help?
I am using the IConnectivity MIO 10s (4 of them) for my synths. The boxes are rock solid so I don't think they are the issue.
Thanks,Paul
PS.Not meaning to slam the software or anyone's work. I just can't get it to work for me.
On whole the mios may be rock solid but with SysEx we have experienced terrible problems with them over the years (sorry IConnectivity). They are units that we note as being problematic devices in our documentation.

This seems to be a situation where they get SysEx working properly in firmware and then they break it again. Over the years we have had to send plenty of mio customers to other interfaces because their unit didn't work properly with SysEx. if they tried a Roland, M-Audio, or MOTU interface everything was fine (a lot of these have been the standard mio, not the mio10).

You should make sure that you have the very latest firmware installed on the interfaces. We emailed with a customer within the last couple of months who reported that they had experienced serious problems but that after installing the latest firmware, the unit was working properly.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Personally I'm not a fan of Kiwi's M1000 mod, it changes the modulators (has no ramps), whereas Gligli/Bob Grieb's just solves some sysex bugs and allows much faster tweaking of parameters, adds voice detune feature, which is really great... Not even sure if it's THAT different to the vanilla M1000 - it just adds the voice detune parameter (CC #94 ), and adds NRPN control along with sysex - which actually might prove faster to use in practice than sysex.

Matrix 1000 Firmware

Here's a list of NRPNs for it:

http://www.untergeek.de/wp-content/u...parameters.pdf
Thanks for the link.

You are correct, CCs may be faster but they can have the problem of not being instrument specific if there is any chaining of instruments.

What we need to know is, since the patch bulk dump format hasn't been changed, are the detune parameter integrated into the existing SysEx somehow or do they just exist separately in real time? As in, does the parameter have to be sent after a new patch selected or when you store an edited patch on the M-1000 is the detune setting retained? If so, do you know where it is in the dump?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can help. I'm a software engineer, and have a fairly extensive midi rig.
Call on me...
Ok, but we don't know who "logicbill" is. Once MQ12 is out, it would probably be best if you contacted Sound Quest directly and we can go from there.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmirk View Post
Does this software work effectively for anyone?
Yes. I have 13 hardware units using 4 networked MOTU Midi TimePiece, patch bay of 32 midi in's/outs's. (Windows "sees" that as 2 sets of 16)

Every MidiQuest instrument works except my Roland SRV2000 which I think is a secret setting on that unit that I haven't discovered.

If you read posts here, I think you will read a good share of complaints. Read the title of this thread. But IMO this happens for several reasons. First, naturally the forums are where we seek answers for problems. You don't go do the doctor when you are healthy. Secondly, this software isn't for the faint of heart. It's not difficult, but in this day of instant gratification, some basics in MIDI really help, especially for the VST generation. Then, as mentioned in this thread several times, you have interface issues. How many interfaces exist these days?

Also the high price is a turn-off, especially if you own just a few synths that could be run with a dedicated editor. However consider the huge instrument support, plus the upcoming additions for MQ12, plus very detailed documentation if you actually RTFM, and also get direct answers from Michael. If this software was cheap, I'm guessing he might be overloaded with simple support questions.

I can understand prior posts that this is abandonware because of very few updates. IMO this isn't a tool for a mass market. If you have specific issues, I think he will help with a solution. What I read between the lines is whether or not some small learning effort, plus the cost, is really worth it for the user.

Here is the MidiQuest forum:
Midi Quest 11 - Sound Quest Support
As you can see he is pretty responsive.

In addition to RTFM, there is this 1 hour 28 minute gem, and that's just to get you started. Drink lots of Jolt first.
YouTube
As you can see the documentation is there. But comments such as "I made it about 3 minutes into this video and then I decided it was better for me to just delete the app and forget I ever knew it existed" really manifest the issue.

And finally, there is no alternative. Sound Diver and Unisyn is abandoned. I wonder why?
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Thanks for the link.

You are correct, CCs may be faster but they can have the problem of not being instrument specific if there is any chaining of instruments.

What we need to know is, since the patch bulk dump format hasn't been changed, are the detune parameter integrated into the existing SysEx somehow or do they just exist separately in real time? As in, does the parameter have to be sent after a new patch selected or when you store an edited patch on the M-1000 is the detune setting retained? If so, do you know where it is in the dump?
Going back to original Gligli's v1.16 firmware, he says there:

My Synthesizer stuff: Matrix 1000 ROM only upgrade v116

"Unison detune, controlled by MIDI CC #94 (Celeste Level), value from 0 (no detune) to 127 (strongly out of tune). It is always active, even in poly mode. Values around 2-6 add a slow VCO-like detune that helps liven up the sound and keeps poly mode sounding in tune."

So apparently it's not stored per patch or included in sysex dump (probably? worth asking Gligli about that), it's a global thing.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Going back to original Gligli's v1.16 firmware, he says there:

My Synthesizer stuff: Matrix 1000 ROM only upgrade v116

"Unison detune, controlled by MIDI CC #94 (Celeste Level), value from 0 (no detune) to 127 (strongly out of tune). It is always active, even in poly mode. Values around 2-6 add a slow VCO-like detune that helps liven up the sound and keeps poly mode sounding in tune."

So apparently it's not stored per patch or included in sysex dump (probably? worth asking Gligli about that), it's a global thing.
Thanks for the details. That leads to an interesting question. For those who are looking for GliGli support, are you expecting the detune to be maintained at a global level or applied on a per patch basis? Since it is not part of the SysEx it would have to be managed separately. (Part of the reason I asked about SysEx storage is that I don't believe there is anywhere for it to go.)

note: Since you can't query for CC values, in Midi Quest the parameter would always have to start at 0 and be edited from there.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'd expect it to work as on the hardware, so global for all patches. But I suppose nothing prevents you from adding an option to store it per patch, which then also solves the not being able to query for CC values thing, right? And I assume once you store a MQ set, you can save that CC value in there and recall it as needed down the line.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'd expect it to work as on the hardware, so global for all patches. But I suppose nothing prevents you from adding an option to store it per patch, which then also solves the not being able to query for CC values thing, right? And I assume once you store a MQ set, you can save that CC value in there and recall it as needed down the line.
That's correct.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search