The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi Quest 11 - i want to believe Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
midiOx ? spill the beanz !

i have half a notion, yes. (i think i can count backwards in hex? )
Well, you need to be able to read the SysEx binary to know what you want out of it then be comfortable cutting out the portions of the binary that you don't want (or copying and concatenating the portions of the file you do want) to create the desired .syx file - without breaking anything.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post
Well, you need to be able to read the SysEx binary to know what you want out of it then be comfortable cutting out the portions of the binary that you don't want (or copying and concatenating the portions of the file you do want) to create the desired .syx file - without breaking anything.
hehe yep that is what i was assuming. so i would need two versions of the
dump, and to know how many bytes for each preset, and the length of the
header, including offsets for various modes, and preferable some way of
resizing the file view so it made it easier to just paste over presets i want
to overwrite. do-able in notepad, and quite scary. what happens if you get
it wrong? jumbled receiving machine? or update rejected?

(was looking at all this in Ctrlr, trying to figure out how to do 2-way updating.
got sidetracked figuring out how to do other things in Lua, and have currently
set aside all projects)
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, there is one in MQ12.
What can you edit on the Poly 800 from Midiquest? Isn't it just a librarian?
According to the poly 800 manual it's just stuff like program changes and patch dumps you can do over midi.
You can't remotely edit sound parameters like osc tune, filter cutoff, etc.
I confirmed this when I owned a Poly 800 MK2.
To get MIDI control of sound parameters you need a third party modification. Does midiquest support the hawk 800 upgrade?

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 10th January 2019 at 02:53 PM..
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
What can you edit on the Poly 800 from Midiquest? Isn't it just a librarian?
According to the poly 800 manual it's just stuff like program changes and patch dumps you can do over midi.
You can't remotely edit sound parameters like osc tune, filter cutoff, etc.
I confirmed this when I owned a Poly 800 MK2.
To get MIDI control of sound parameters you need a third party modification. Does midiquest support the hawk 800 upgrade?
MQ11 is just librarian. MQ12 is editor and librarian. The editor handles a large number of parameters - I assume all parameters stored in the SysEx - 3 envelopes (18), MG (4), DDL (5), EQ(2), VCF (6), and DCOs (20).

However, because of Korg's extremely limited SysEx implementation, it is a non-real time process. Edit a patch, store the patch in the bank, download the bank, then play the patch.

Presently, Midi Quest doesn't support the Hawk800 update. We would need to work with an existing Midi Quest customer who has the hardware to create an editor (for SysEx samples and testing). To date, I'm not aware that anyone has made that request.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
MQ11 is just librarian. MQ12 is editor and librarian. The editor handles a large number of parameters - I assume all parameters stored in the SysEx - 3 envelopes (18), MG (4), DDL (5), EQ(2), VCF (6), and DCOs (20).

However, because of Korg's extremely limited SysEx implementation, it is a non-real time process. Edit a patch, store the patch in the bank, download the bank, then play the patch.
That’s still quite handy, thanks for answering.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
MQ11 is just librarian. MQ12 is editor and librarian.
Now I'm lost. I use MQ11 (not the pro version) and it's an editor and librarian.

MQ12 is not yet available?
Sound Quest Music Software
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Now I'm lost. I use MQ11 (not the pro version) and it's an editor and librarian.

MQ12 is not yet available?
Sound Quest Music Software
Officially, the Poly 800 II module is librarian only (module info link) however, the editor has obviously been included in the module somewhere along the way. My mistake.

Correct, Midi Quest 12 is not yet available.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

One thing I would love to see in Midiquest 12 at some point is support for more synths with the popular midi retrofit kits which are supportable by the software. (Not all are) The Kiwi kits like the Kiwisix are fantastic, Encore kits like for the JP8 and Source, maybe additional support for the Prophet 600 gligli. Only a few folks like KiwiTechnics, Tubutech, Encore, Tauntec, and a couple others are the big players in this game, so I’d expect any info you need you from those developers and that would cover that handful of synths which have gotten a new life with enthusiastic owners.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
One thing I would love to see in Midiquest 12 at some point is support for more synths with the popular midi retrofit kits which are supportable by the software. (Not all are) The Kiwi kits like the Kiwisix are fantastic, Encore kits like for the JP8 and Source, maybe additional support for the Prophet 600 gligli. Only a few folks like KiwiTechnics, Tubutech, Encore, Tauntec, and a couple others are the big players in this game, so I’d expect any info you need you from those developers and that would cover that handful of synths which have gotten a new life with enthusiastic owners.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

MQ11 currently supports three Encore retrofits: JP-8, Source, and OB-8.

MQ12 has Kiwitechnics Kiwi-3P, Kiwi-8P, KiwiSix, and Kiwi-1000 in beta. I don't know whether these will be finalized before the MQ12 release but if they aren't, they will be released shortly afterwards.

For Tubutech and Tauntec, I can say that we keep close track of people who request support for hardware and to date there has been no interest expressed. When we see some interest, we will have a look at what is involved.

For the Prophet 600 gligli, we expect to look at it this year.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

You can consider this my official request for Kiwisix support.

I’d also previously asked about the Tauntec firmware for the AX80 that finallly has proper sysex. That would be nice to find supported in MQ12.

Last edited by pounce; 20th January 2019 at 05:25 PM..
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

This might have been answered prior, but is Sound Quest avoiding editor/librarians that Soundtower presently cover? I hope not as I'm not a fan.

Specifically, Moog Voyager, DSI...most anything including Prophet 6, PolyEvolver?

Any idea on a release date yet?

Thanks.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
No Korg KronosX, Yammy MX61 or Yammy P-250. Oh well. Guess it's a bust for me.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
This might have been answered prior, but is Sound Quest avoiding editor/librarians that Soundtower presently cover? I hope not as I'm not a fan.

Specifically, Moog Voyager, DSI...most anything including Prophet 6, PolyEvolver?

Any idea on a release date yet?

Thanks.
Hello,

No, we're not avoiding Sound Tower. MQ12 will have pretty much everything from DSI: Evolver, Mono Evolver, all versions of Mopho, OB-6, Poly Evolver, Pro 2, Prophet 08, Prophet 12, Prophet Rev2, Prophet-6, Tetra, Toraiz AS-1, and Sequential Prophet X.

We'll also have a Moog Voyager editor available for beta. I know there are a number of people interested in working with it so shouldn't take long to have an official release.

Sorry, no release date that I can talk about.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
No Korg KronosX, Yammy MX61 or Yammy P-250. Oh well. Guess it's a bust for me.
Midi Quest 12 will have Kronos X and an MX61 Performance editor when released. Sorry, nothing for the P-250 at this point.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
You can consider this my official request for Kiwisix support.

I’d also previously asked about the Tauntec firmware for the AX80 that finallly has proper sysex. That would be nice to find supported in MQ12.
Did you do a support request at Sound Quest Instrument Support Request Form

This is how we track all of our instrument/device support requests.

I'll do a submission myself for you.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Midi Quest 12 will have Kronos X and an MX61 Performance editor when released. Sorry, nothing for the P-250 at this point.
Cool. I really didn't expect the P-250 to be there but due to the lousy interface it would be nice. Any ETA for 12? Sorry if it's been mentioned already.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry, no release date that I can talk about.
That's all good and normal in the software world!

What are your upgrade policies and if one was to buy SQ11 right now would they qualify for a free upgrade to 12, or not?

I do not currently own SQ at all, and the choice is to wait until v12 comes out or buy now and hope for some discount of some kind when 12 comes out.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
That's all good and normal in the software world!

What are your upgrade policies and if one was to buy SQ11 right now would they qualify for a free upgrade to 12, or not?

I do not currently own SQ at all, and the choice is to wait until v12 comes out or buy now and hope for some discount of some kind when 12 comes out.
Upgrades from 11 to 12 will be $10US.

The last time Sound Quest had a special with a new version release, I believe it was 1995...

and for "onewire", all I can say is "close". Again, I believe the last time we provided a formal release date for a Midi Quest upgrade release was back in the '90s.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

The last time Sound Quest had a special with a new version release, I believe it was 1995...

and for "onewire", all I can say is "close". Again, I believe the last time we provided a formal release date for a Midi Quest upgrade release was back in the '90s.
Thank you.

Now I gotta juggle the wife's hatred of our refrigerator (1 year old!), the i friggin pad she bought the grandson for his birthday (Uh? 2 refrigerators for that? Hyperbole. I know), and my wannathings. I'm getting this dammit! The whole hog.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You must be kidding? You left out a ZERO? If not, I would like to pre-order my upgrade now. Thank you.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
You must be kidding? You left out a ZERO? If not, I would like to pre-order my upgrade now. Thank you.
Just to be clear, the price is correct but it is an upgrade price for recent purchases only - something in the range of the last 6 months. Beyond that, the upgrade pricing will be in line with what has been charged in the past.
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

I found a Yamaha RX7 in perfect condition in my apartment that I forgot i bought. Of course I can edit all voices with Midiquest. I love this software. I use it every single day.
Old 22nd January 2019
What's the difference between "Enhanced Editor/Librarian Features" and "Standard editor/librarian features"?

The order page should make this clear.
Old 22nd January 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

its threads like this that make me really wish Emagics Sounddiver had been properly supported and rereleased by Apple
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
What's the difference between "Enhanced Editor/Librarian Features" and "Standard editor/librarian features"?
There is an extended page on the web site which covers the finer details of the differences at

Midi Quest Details

Of course, if you really want to get in depth, there are online and pdf manuals which cover support on a feature by feature basis.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
1.I want to open a window which loads a sysex bank from a file(source) with the patches listed.
2.Also open a window with the connected hardware patches(destination) listed.
Drag a patch or patches to the hardware. SAVE.
3. I don't want to have to choose between patch OR patch edit window. Option to open both at the same time needed.
These are all normal expectations for a librarian/editor, don't you think?

I don't see a way to do those simple functions in midi quest....such a simple thing. If they're possible,please refer me to where/how.
Documentation is so important to the "out of the box" experience.

Why is everything so convoluted? Are you, the author a actual user?
If we could do the steps above, why would we need a studio set?

Master the basics first.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
I should have added that I think this is a good thing that you're doing...
Just a little adjustment here and there.....
Need a way to skip scanning every time it boots. Don't want to scan all my hardware just to quickly change the glide/legato on my JD990 for example...."Cancel all" "cancel" buttons are slow...
Audition could be much better. More patterns,etc.
MQ appears to generate 32bit VST and AU plugins. Why in 2019?
This will be a fantastic feature/tool when its 64bit. Clocks a ticking....
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head

I like Midiquest a lot, it´s the solution, that helps me getting certain synths working in productions. Let´s support the guys at SounQuest, they did a great help with
programming editors for synths, which didn´t have editors before.

Best regards
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Ok. Found it. Context sensitive menus....
You have to click on existing open "set" so the menu changes.
Now you have a new menu item, "set"
Open "bank".
Drag and drop.
Why doesn't it say that anywhere?
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut
Now that I've figured it out, it's very useful!
Studio rack shows cool graphic of all my synths.
The plugin will allow one to open MQ in say LogicX/ProTools/etc. as a plugin.
Reach in, adjust that cutoff or any parameter without touching the hardware.
Makes all your synths accessible just like any other virtual instrument.
Make those VST/AU plugins 64bit and take my money!
I'm juiced....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search