The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Electronics Omega 8 & Code 8 - Do you own one?
Old 3 weeks ago
interesting discussion about filters.. i'd add that both ARP4072/4075 and classic Roland filters (found in most SH,JUP and Juno series btwn 1978-1984) are all based on the same fundamental circuit - cascaded OTA filter.

while ARP used discrete transistors to build the OTAs, Roland used various integrated solutions: first 4x CA3080, then 4 x BA662, then packed that into a IR3109 IC, and finally miniaturize that into smt 80017a in Juno 106.

seems 8106 is built like that last one, with modern, available smt OTAs. then there will be a sonic shift from the orig. BA662, and the IR3019 implementation of the Roland Jupiter 8. so i think its more like a Juno106 filter, not the Jupiter 8 filter.

also, i find what Greg said interesting as it goes along with my own exp: with Axxe mk2 (4075) i had, the filter sound little more organic and warm, saturated, whereas my SH2/SH101/JP8 are slicker, more lasery clean. but there's still distant family resemblance.

of all i heard of Omega thus far, my favorites seem to be stock SEM (silky if mid scooped a bit), then the creamy ARP, and that one-off DIY version with IR3109. tho from his YT example, its obvious how Omega oscillators are a bit tilted in the top end compared to Jup8s.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkesserich View Post
I assume that this -https://studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar-modular/8106/- is also the same filter but in euro format, in which case they are shooting for a jp-8 clone.
I assumed that as well but after reading cramseur's post, I think the 8106 will sound different. And I like that 8106 very much from hearing it some times. So I'll wait for some demos.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
So this Jupiter 8 filter does the 24/12dB filter mode selection via an additional front panel toggle switch (like the optional OD switch). I'm just glad they implemented both filter taps, even if it doesn't get saved in the patch. They have also implemented the non-resonant HPF which does get its cutoff saved with the patch. A per voice implementation in this instance rather than global ala the Jupiter / Juno. epic.

The possibility of having Jupiter 8 filters, CS-80 filters, Minimoog filters, and Obie filters inside one VCO polysynth is nuts.
Yeah, it’s really something. I just can’t bring myself to spend that much on a single instrument. Maybe one day when I have more than a few hours a week to play music, but until then, I’ll keep my ATC-X and multi-track it in a looper.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The tonestar is one the best sounding new mono synths. It’s in my list :It uses arp VCO design Roland type filter. The black model uses both arp VCO and VCA. They both sound fantastic:

They sound very different than omega which uses moog VCO.

Talking to SE , customers have hard time hearing difference in their Roland design over the arp 2600 filters. They are just slightly cleaner:

My favorites omega filters are the moog and cs80.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I just can’t bring myself to spend that much on a single instrument.
I hear ya. I bought mine second hand 6 years ago and am only now getting around to expanding the filter types. The Jupiter and CS80 filters are costing me as much as I paid for the synth.

A sensible person would just use Diva, but here we are, frequenting a website called gearslutz.com.

Last edited by nutjob; 3 weeks ago at 12:24 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
I hear ya. I bought mine second hand 6 years ago and am only now getting around to expanding the filter types. The Jupiter and CS80 filters are costing me as much as I paid for the synth.

A sensible person would just use Diva, but here we are, frequenting a website called gearslutz.com.
You can start small with the omega though. Get 4 voices with just the builtin filters and then add over the years.

The ATC is a great mono but you lose out on the interface with just a single knob. In the end of the day, the best instrument for you is the one that you love so much you'll play the **** out of it. If that's diva, then congrats, you are lucky and can save money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkesserich View Post
You can start small with the omega though. Get 4 voices with just the builtin filters and then add over the years.

The ATC is a great mono but you lose out on the interface with just a single knob. In the end of the day, the best instrument for you is the one that you love so much you'll play the **** out of it. If that's diva, then congrats, you are lucky and can save money.
I like Diva for a lot of things, but it’s a shadow of anything that comes out of Studio Electronics, including my uni-knobbed ATC-X. I actually get around that synth very quickly, though it took some time to memorize the mod destination abbreviations. Now I just use the ATC-X editor, which is great because it can live under my desk.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I have 10k in software that I never use anymore. Diva is no magic bullet ... Its just a soft synth in a sea of soft synths that do the same thing. plug ins lead to an endless rabbit hole trying to emulate what was already achieved a long time ago but never actually getting there. They are facsimile of a synth.

SE makes instruments that are satisfying and have the sonic character that can hold its own with those made 40 years ago. Something that I was hard pressed to find in contemporary analog synths as well. I tried and sold many. Most new synths lack sweetness and are hard to listen to without fx.

https://soundcloud.com/stardivernyc/code8voice

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/just-noodlin

The modular market is on fire sonically but that format doesn't work for me as creating a poly synth that way is tedious and expensive. Omega seems like a great product and it sounds like its almost mix ready after recording it. It is a luxury item for sure and is getting up there with the best of them in price. I like how smoothly musical it is. Most of the demos have too much resonance. But the less wet ones have impressed me. Very different than my 80s synths. and that is a good thing. I am looking for an oberheim alternative and DSI isn't going to cut it for me.

One thing I would hate to see here is a decent into a discussion on plugins.

Last edited by BrettB; 3 weeks ago at 01:18 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The custom 3109 roland filter I posted the video on was based on the am synth am8109 pcb found in this module. IR3109’s are available from analogue renaissance.

https://amsynths.co.uk/home/products...09-jp8-filter/

https://www.amsynthstore.co.uk/AM810..._19939593.aspx

In the video the filter settings are not changed at all. No info on whether it was fully integrated into the omega 100% but seems like a very cool project.

Last edited by BrettB; 3 weeks ago at 04:33 AM..
📝 Reply