The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia to announce something new at Musik Messe 2014 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th March 2014
Id pay the same for a rack version...tabletop or 25 key keybeds just take up space
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

They should have made them poly chainable and in rack format for $400 pleeaassee
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
It's too square for me, I'd get rid of the (crappy?) keyboard and make a nice little module out of it. This one's a beauty:

You could do this to an SE - as this is a kit:

Arturia to announce something new at Musik Messe 2014DIY Custom Desktop Kit for Arturia Minibrute Analog Synthesizer Limited RARE | eBay
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
No patch memory, but it will remember six sequences
the 8bit microcontrollers they tend to use in these instruments usually have about a half of a kilobyte of eeprom memory
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I got to spend about fifteen minutes jamming on one of these at Musikmesse yesterday. Nice synth! Visually, it's a lot more striking than the standard Minibrute. Soundwise, it's of course identical. If I already had a Minibrute I doubt I would "upgrade". But it's an attractive option for first time buyers or serious Minibrute fans.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia to announce something new at Musik Messe 2014-arturia-minibrute-se.jpg  
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
..If I already had a Minibrute I doubt I would "upgrade". But it's an attractive option for first time buyers or serious Minibrute fans.
Yea, if I was on the edge wondering whether to buy, the good looks might be enough to push me over, it really looks nice.

(But I don't need it.)
Old 19th March 2014
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Can anyone confirm that the keyboard on the SE is the exact keyboard on the normal Minibrute?

If this is the case, I warn everyone from buying this - Arturia need to learn from their bad manufacturing/cheap outsourcing/bad quality control mistakes.

[EDIT]: Newer Minibrutes have switched to a better plastic supplier and have fixed the keyboard problem.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Can anyone confirm that the keyboard on the SE is the exact keyboard on the normal Minibrute?

If this is the case, I warn everyone from buying this - Arturia need to learn from their bad manufacturing/cheap outsourcing/bad quality control mistakes.
The keyboard on my Minibrute hasn't had any issues.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

^^ +1

Arturia switched the plastic supplier for the keyboard recently, they are apparently of higher quality
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

thanks - good to know

are there serial batch numbers that we know are from the new plastic supplier?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Not sure but this is the forum post from the CEO.

December 18, 2013

Quote:
Dear MiniBrute users,

We are receiving a growing number of complains related to the MiniBrute keybed and we have decided to tackle this problem.

In the early days of this production we already encountered a problem related to the MiniBrute keybed. The Metal plates, which are glued to the underside of the keys were prone to falling off. This situation was addressed quite quickly at the factory and we were able to repair or exchange faulty units already on the market.

Recently a new problem has appeared. The keys themselves seem to be more fragile and can sometime break. We have ran specific tests on the latest production batch and have, indeed, found that a large number of keybeds are not passing the tests successfully.

We suspect different potential causes. One could be due to the quality of the plastic that we use (a switch to recycled plastic by our supplier, for example), another could be related to clogging of the mold, etc.

At this point we are still investigating the root cause and evaluating our options. We will determine a cause of action and communicat updates about this situation soon. But you should already know that 1/ we have switched to a new supplier for the keybed and from now on, every MiniBrute unit will be shipping with a keybed of higher quality. We are also improving the test procedure at the factory on the keybed parts. 2/ As a customer, you should be assured that we will, with the help of our distributors, replace or repair MiniBrute units with broken keys.

We apologize for this problem. The truth also is that the defective rate of MiniBrute units is still bellow 1,5%. This includes every problem on every machine shipped since the launch of this product. But certainly we don't want this rate to grow and we are committed to maintaining quality. We also understand the frustration of a musician who bought a MiniBrute and ends up with a broken key. Again we are sorry and will address this issue.

Frederic Brun
(founder and ceo)
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I got to spend about fifteen minutes jamming on one of these at Musikmesse yesterday. Nice synth! Visually, it's a lot more striking than the standard Minibrute. Soundwise, it's of course identical. If I already had a Minibrute I doubt I would "upgrade". But it's an attractive option for first time buyers or serious Minibrute fans.
nice makeover... but really? I thought we would see something new, but I suppose it's only been two years since the brute came out. I really want to like this synth (love the features), but the sound is not my cup of tea.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebot View Post
nice makeover... but really? I thought we would see something new, but I suppose it's only been two years since the brute came out. I really want to like this synth (love the features), but the sound is not my cup of tea.
Yes, it feels quite like they've given us the same tea now, albeit in three different cups. But we don't want new cups, we want new drinks!
Old 24th March 2014
Here for the gear

Why remove the arpeggiator? If it's supposed to a "special edition" I don't see the point in removing a feature. I'm currently a MicroBrute owner but I'm going to return it because it's faulty and I was thinking about getting a MiniBrute instead. I would gladly pay a bit extra for both an arpeggiator and sequencer.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladLibanes View Post
Why remove the arpeggiator? If it's supposed to a "special edition" I don't see the point in removing a feature. I'm currently a MicroBrute owner but I'm going to return it because it's faulty and I was thinking about getting a MiniBrute instead. I would gladly pay a bit extra for both an arpeggiator and sequencer.
Yeah I hear ya - its kinda weird the whole way they've done this.

Instead of getting rid of your Microbrute - you could use a MIDI controller which has an arp. If you've got one already - beaut! I've got an Akai MPK-25 - the ARP on that is pretty basic - but decent. Or you could use a synth that offers ARP out via MIDI.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladLibanes View Post
The original (non-SE) Minibrute has a firmware glitch where you can record 1 sequence. So it's possible to have both options on one Brute.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDeux View Post
The original (non-SE) Minibrute has a firmware glitch where you can record 1 sequence. So it's possible to have both options on one Brute.
How? My Google search turned up nothing on this. Please explain.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Brun
We apologize for this problem. The truth also is that the defective rate of MiniBrute units is still bellow 1,5%. This includes every problem on every machine shipped since the launch of this product. But certainly we don't want this rate to grow and we are committed to maintaining quality. We also understand the frustration of a musician who bought a MiniBrute and ends up with a broken key. Again we are sorry and will address this issue.
Wow, 15 failures /1000 units. They must have sold a large amount with all the complaining going on. I can recall the metal plate issue in one of the earlier batches and now this. Either they don't count the complains they just ignore or they sold beyond 10k units so far.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
How? My Google search turned up nothing on this. Please explain.
It was originally disclosed in the Arturia forums, but it's been described here at GS on several occasions.

Use the connection software to set the Minibrute ARP to order played.
While the ARP is on Hold, press and hold down a key, then switch the ARP to off, and switch back to on again (all while holding a key down).
Now you can enter up to 16 notes which will then repeat.

I don't know if this glitch is present only in the latest firmware (also available at the Arturia forum), or if it was always there. I suspect the glitch inspired the Microbrute sequencer.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDeux View Post
It was originally disclosed in the Arturia forums, but it's been described here at GS on several occasions.

Use the connection software to set the Minibrute ARP to order played.
While the ARP is on Hold, press and hold down a key, then switch the ARP to off, and switch back to on again (all while holding a key down).
Now you can enter up to 16 notes which will then repeat.

I don't know if this glitch is present only in the latest firmware (also available at the Arturia forum), or if it was always there. I suspect the glitch inspired the Microbrute sequencer.
Very cool. I will have to try this soon.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
It's too square for me, I'd get rid of the (crappy?) keyboard and make a nice little module out of it. This one's a beauty:

I'd buy the tits out of that if it went into production
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search