The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton and it's bull**** latency Audio Interfaces
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ableton and it's bull**** latency

The one program that inspires me to work and create has to be plagued by the worst latency of any DAW I ever worked with.

On a 3.4 Ghz i7 (Quad) iMac with 16 GB Ram, this should not be happening. After having a few VSTS (3-4) with some stuff bounced to audio, a few effect plugins, I go to record my voice just for ****s and giggles, and it sounds like I'm in a cave. There is nothing I can change in the preferences to make the latency go away. I'm assuming it's like this for hardware synths too ugghhh.

The thing is, I know there are people who use Ableton to create full productions, which is why I ask this question. How can they do it with Ableton's horrible latency? Do they freeze everything?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Which effects plugins did you load? Sounds like they have inherent latency, so Live engaged PDC which delays all tracks appropriately so they match in time...
Old 7th March 2014
What audio interface are you using ? You might want to check the settings on the audio interface (go to preferences /audio).
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Latency is most noticeable when you are recording voice. Even latencies of a few ms sound very obvious because of the comb filtering of the resonance of your voice in your head and the slightly delayed monitor feed. Most engineers use some kind of zero-latency hardware monitoring when they are tracking vocals, i.e. they do not monitor through the DAW. How many ms of latency are you experiencing? Latency is also a product of the audio interface. I have no trouble with latency in Ableton on my MBP using an Apogee Duet.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

It's you man. The buffer settings should correct this, but if you say that it does nothing, it has to be something up with your computer or interface. What are you using for sound output? Just the mac's output, or an interface? Tried posting on the Ableton forum?

Edit: wow by the time I post this there are 3 other answers..
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am using an RME Fireface 800. I didn't mess with any settings on it. I don't know that there are settings I could mess with.

Plugins I currently used are Waves Rbass, and pitch corrector. Nothing too crazy.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Pitch correction always adds latency when it's processing - of course this would also be evident when monitoring through the DAW. That's the culprit.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes but the pitch correction wasn't added to the vocal track. It was 100% clean. But, if ableton adds latency to compensate then I guess it wouldn't matter.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

If you're 100% sure pitch correction is turned off, then you must have wrong settings in Ableton or problems with drivers. What is your buffer size and sample rate? Do you have the latest driver for your Fireface?

I have no problems whatsoever with Ableton's latency. It behaves like any other program. Getting like 8ms RTL.
Old 7th March 2014
Yup...no problems here with vocals or anything else
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
and it sounds like I'm in a cave
sounds like you've got some kind of feedback loop happening there....
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
sounds like you've got some kind of feedback loop happening there....
No, it's just my voice being delayed. It gets worse the more I add to a track. Latest drivers. I'm surprised it doesn't happen to more people. I mean, ableton is known for its latency problem. There was a huge thread about it. Workarounds and more Workarounds.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No, it's just my voice being delayed. It gets worse the more I add to a track. Latest drivers. I'm surprised it doesn't happen to more people. I mean, ableton is known for its latency problem. There was a huge thread about it. Workarounds and more Workarounds.
What does Ableton report as your latency? What is your buffer?? What does the CPU load say (in Ableton and System wide). Have you tried a new project?

I am able to play/monitor vocals, guitar and several midi instruments without any noticeable latency. Without pitch correcting of course (that doesn't work in any DAW on my computer without latency)
Old 7th March 2014
No problems here, getting around 5ms in and out with my apogee duet. Only thing is that I have to use 48khz rate for some reason with lower buffer sizes.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

also, if you're testing plug-ins to check if they add latency, just turning the plugs off does not take remove their latency...you must remove the plug-in completely to stop any latency they induce. if i have ozone on my master, even if it's not enabled, the latency makes any real-time work impossible.

just a heads-up.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/...release-notes/

May not be your exact problem, but something with extreme delay was fixed in a recent beta.
If your audio settings are ok and you use a decent audio interface this should not happen.
I use hardware synths through live's send effects, where the fx is multiple hardware devices and don't have any more latency than the buffers are set to.
Old 7th March 2014
I monitor my vocals while recording right off the interface, not thru Ableton. No problems here.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you tried NOT monitoring your vocals through Live?
I would be very surprised if a FF800 would not offer a means to do this.

Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

If you are using a USB audio interface, make sure to set it up as the default sound card in your computer sound settings, then connect your moniters, speakers or headphones to the interface's audio outputs. Not doing is often the number one cause of latency.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Have you done the driver error compensation lesson included with ableton?

Using headphones with guitar DI going thru an amp modeler and I had to turn delay compenaation OFF. Single notes, a chord strum eould be fine but I was doing metal style palm muting and it was like it got worse as it went on. Almost like it got confused or couldnt keep up.

Also seemed like power managment options had a role.

This is a brand new self built pc though with an ancient digi002 at 96khz. and Ive only had live version 9 a few weeks so ive mostly been messing with how much horsepower i can get out of the new build..number of plug instances sort of thing.maybe unrelated.

Last edited by TREMORS; 8th March 2014 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
Have you done the driver error compensation lesson included with ableton?

Using headphones with guitar DI going thru an amp modeler and I had to turn delay compenaation OFF. Single notes, a chord strum eould be fine but I was doing metal style palm muting and it was like it got worse as it went on. Almost like it got confused or couldnt keep up.

Also seemed like power managment options had a role.

This is a brand new self built pc though with an ancient digi002 at 96khz. and Ive only had live version 9 a few weeks so ive mostly been messing with how much horsepower i can get out of the new build..number of plug instances sort of thing.maybe unrelated.
No haven't done that, but this on happens with certain plug-ins and I guess they are the culprit mostly. Btw, I have 003 that I used to use but was getting terrible cpu spikes with. I switched interfaces and now I get 30% less cpu usage. Even my fast track pro worked better with ableton. If you have any cpu issues and can't figure out why, try another interface. I sold my 8 core Mac pro for a i7 iMac to figure this out. Damn 003.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ableton isn't bull**** latency for me.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Goto options then audio tab in Ableton. Dial your latency buffer size down as low as you can go till the audio starts to pop and crackle when you playback your project. Then dial it back one setting from there. There will still be a tad bit of latency but it will be much better. If you want no latency at all then do not use direct monitoring in Ableton and monitor directly from your totalmix software from RME 800. This will be ZERO latency but you wont hear any FX you have in Ableton on your vocals. Doesn't matter though because you can add all that after you print your takes.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm surprised it doesn't happen to more people.
Probably because others know their DAW, hardware, and FX better.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Probably because others know their DAW, hardware, and FX better.
Well I've only been using Ableton for a year, and coming from Reason (no latency ever) and Pro tools (no latency just crashes), I have some expectations.

BTW this isn't myth. The way Ableton handles plugin delay compensation is not that great. I can instantiate less plugins in Ableton than in other DAWs, I have tried it.

Ableton Live plugin limits vs. Cubase..

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185884
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
and coming from Reason (no latency ever)
Some effects in Reason definitely have some processing latency. Probably some REs too. So, "no latency ever" is perhaps an overstatement.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well I've only been using Ableton for a year, and coming from Reason (no latency ever) and Pro tools (no latency just crashes), I have some expectations.

BTW this isn't myth. The way Ableton handles plugin delay compensation is not that great. I can instantiate less plugins in Ableton than in other DAWs, I have tried it.
It is a myth. No piece of hard or software has zero latency, especially not DAWs. Even the space between your ears and speakers creates a delay.

Your computer and Ableton Live is good enough for your task. The only 2 things left are your plugins or settings of Live/OS/Hardware.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

At least 3 people have told the OP the answer to his problem ("direct" or hardware monitoring), with no response or acknowledgment.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Latency? I´m at 6ms with Apogee Duet 2.

The problem is ADC, sometimes when adding a track or sending audio to a return track it freaks out and takes one or more tracks totally out of sync. Haven´t found a pattern yet.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

The OP does seem to be confusing monitoring latency with various other issues (PDC and resource utilisation). In fairness, DAW's can be very complex for the beginner/less technically minded, but blaming a product for ones personal lack of understanding despite good advice to the contrary doesn't come across very well.

As people keep saying, the stated issue is not a problem with Live. You need to use direct monitoring, or at least monitor on a channel that doesn't have a plugin present that introduces massive latency.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search