The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why are all Trance producers using the same hardware synths? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
There is a lot more to trance than just the "epic trance" stuff.

I'm pretty sure that you won't hear huge supersaw leads on the classic albums by Man With No Name, Cosmosis, Shakta, Total Eclipse, Koxbox, Hallucinogen, Infinity Project, etc.
Yep! Early Trance, say 1993, bears little to no resemblance to what the hair gelled, Armani Exchange shirt wearing crowd is calling Trance today. I remember going to a lot of Trance gigs in London and everybody had 909s, 303s and 101s on stage. Lots of bubbling analogue. Every time I listen to Union Jack, I still get goosebumps. That **** had massive, dangling analogue balls.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh man hearing you guys talk about trance takes me back. Trance used to sound trancey. Somewhere that got lost big time.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

when i explain the trance music i really like, i spend too much time on the difference between trance and epic/p*ssy trance. what it comes down to is the kids today are very soft, coddled snowflakes. the trance of yore had a street edge to it - everyone was living hard it seemed and it came out in the music. it's hard to write music with emotion when all you have is cushy feel good affirmation...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
Oh man hearing you guys talk about trance takes me back. Trance used to sound trancey. Somewhere that got lost big time.
Well, it depends on where you look. If you want trance that sounds like the trance from the early 90s, go listen to Goa and Psy trance, as well as some of what John 00 Fleming is putting out...which is really just a different kind of Psy trance.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
Well, it depends on where you look. If you want trance that sounds like the trance from the early 90s, go listen to Goa and Psy trance, as well as some of what John 00 Fleming is putting out...which is really just a different kind of Psy trance.
psy tance is not this:

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

The bass line on this is still pretty much unbeaten. This track is such a fukkin' journey.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru
Anyone here have any of the old Noom records mixes?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Y'all will be pleased to know that all the epic trance folks are now in disarray because the whole EDM thing taught them what small-timers they were.

Of course they're just getting a taste of their own medicine. Imagine being a veteran of late 80s/early 90s dance, walking into a late 90s/early 2000s superclub to be blasted by JP-8000 supersaws, and thinking "we worked so hard to end up here?!".
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Noom! I had most of those records (heaps of commander tom), but no longer have any vinyl.

I asked someone last year about the gear used for production, and they said loads of the samples came from classic Emax sampler presets.

I really liked trance before it divided into psy, prog and epic trance...I liked a lot of the later epic trance too, but just miss when it was all `trance' and it was so creative.

Seems like psy has held onto its roots, and epic trance has morphed into electro and EDM lately.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Yep! Early Trance, say 1993, bears little to no resemblance to what the hair gelled, Armani Exchange shirt wearing crowd is calling Trance today.
I'm going to see some trance next weekend, what is the best cologne to use? Is there something that the men in the scene wear? Also I will be going to a beach party with trance DJs -- should I wear my yellow or blue speedo?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Early trance was great, early goa was great, early psy was great, early prog-psy was great. Everything past the first years got pretty bad, trance has a special power to atract copycats and degenerates fast. Is a shame cause it can be great.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
psy tance is not this:

You're right, its not. But its the closest you're going to get in modern music that sounds like classic trance, unless you find people that produce classic trance...and I can't think of any.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Are these supposed to be examples of "Good Trance" or "Bad Trance"? Because I gotta say, this sh!t is awful. Each one of these tracks has one boring, largely unmusical motif that is milked for 8 minutes. I kept fast forwarding through the videos to see if anything interesting was happening later in the track. But nope, it's the same crap for 8 minutes. Why, I ask myself? What possible purpose could this music serve? It doesn't even seem very danceable. Must be "Bad Trance."
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
Are these supposed to be examples of "Good Trance" or "Bad Trance"? Because I gotta say, this sh!t is awful. Each one of these tracks has one boring, largely unmusical motif that is milked for 8 minutes. I kept fast forwarding through the videos to see if anything interesting was happening later in the track. But nope, it's the same crap for 8 minutes. Why, I ask myself? What possible purpose could this music serve? It doesn't even seem very danceable. Must be "Bad Trance."
You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately this describes way too much electronic music. I don't understand how people can listen to this stuff over and over again. The only explanation is that to them it's such background noise that it could essentially be anything with a beat and they'd enjoy it.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

The bass line on this is still pretty much unbeaten. This track is such a fukkin' journey.
This is an awesome track. From when trance used to be trance, I totally agree.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds like a old Emu Shakuhachi patch in that last one.

I'm afraid I don't quite get the hate for supersaws. My guilty secret is that I actually like anthemic trance - a lot.

There, I said it in public. I feel better now.

D.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms View Post
Quote:

This is an awesome track. From when trance used to be trance, I totally agree.
+1. Early Union Jack always has and will always be one of my favorites. Loved the flip side to this record - Lollypop Man. Can't forget Cactus an Red Herring too. Completely epic songs for me and their songs were always such journeys.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
i still have some stuff from noom somwhere buried in my collection:

i remember this

and of course that

Supersaw? Where?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post

I love that track
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity castro View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately this describes way too much electronic music. I don't understand how people can listen to this stuff over and over again. The only explanation is that to them it's such background noise that it could essentially be anything with a beat and they'd enjoy it.
Drugs, raves and friends. When you dance for hours (sometimes days) without end, you need hypnotic music that keeps you moving. That's why is called trance to begin with.

"The dedication to repetition — the search for nirvana in a single held tone or an endlessly cycling rhythm — is one of electronic music's noblest gestures."

Another classic:

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

Here's another one. The early 90s (92-94) were probably the best years for epic anthem trance.

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

two words...Polyphonic unison.

Trance just isn't very trancy without unison chords. The virus the jp 8000 and the andromeda are by far the best in class at this.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because I gotta say, this sh!t is awful. Each one of these tracks has one boring, largely unmusical motif that is milked for 8 minutes.
do you know what trance music is?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
do you know what trance music is?
Boring, derivative, unmusical crap that seemingly goes on forever and which only drug-addled "rave" attendees can appreciate? Ha ha.

Just giving you ****. But there has to be MUCH better examples of Trance than the tracks in those videos. There is a way to repeat the same theme for 8 minutes and still keep it interesting.
Old 10th March 2014
As with all genres, there's the low hanging fruit. Then There's the underground stuff that's 1. not as accessible and 2. harder to get (usually ).
What do 'most people' hear? It's a rhetorical question that begs a certain perspective, which is that the two are separate.
It depends on who one's listening to. Hard trance has no super saw leads, it has acid 303s. Goa trance does, but so does classic trance, and there is a difference. Pink Floyd and Journey probably used fat saw waves with their synth and maybe if one takes what they did with their s ynths except with sequencers...
What's this all about saw waves anyway? They carry the most harmonics of the traditional waveforms, so they're used forlots of applications. Trance music is mostly structured and sequenced harmonics, and beyond.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Why?
Seems like the trance music lovers really like detuned saw leads from a Virus or JP 80xx synth. Are these hardware synths really the only ones who can create phat detuned sounds?!
Detuned saw leads can be done on so many things I'm wouldn't say they are all using the same gear.

It would be better said they are using similar patches.

But heck..I like the sound of those detuned saws.

Also just to note: the JP8000 runs out of polyphony rather quickly I'm pretty sure with all the options other synths and softsynths offer in terms of polyphony I'm pretty sure they probably go to those other options...especially soft synths.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
...but notv everything Nuclear Hyde made was good.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
I'd have to satisfy the main criterion for that genre of music, which is again rather narrow: a square wave bass run through a filter that's locked to an LFO (usually a sine wave) that 'wobbles' in beat time (often 1/8), alternating in triplets, etc.
I'm trying to find that squarewave 1/8 note / triplet wobble in this dubstep?

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

If you combine dubstep and trance you can actually end up with some really good stuff like Seven Lions:

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know what on Earth you people are talking about. How can anyone say that Trance became cliche or derivative...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search