The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I get a memorymoog? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would the Memorymoog boards be schrinkable into some chips?
No, and if they could, it would not sound the same.

After all one of the reasons you would buy a memorymoog is not only the sound but the thrill and adrenaline rush of wondering when and where its going to break down. If you are in a live performance the anxiety and sweating, knowing it could blow up on you in a moments notice. How many synths do you know of that can give you that experience..... PRICELESS!

All joking aside, We all want to know when you are going to get one, or if you have already bought one.
Old 19th April 2014
SEED78
my Memorymoog finally turned up today after a year in repair and limbo.

Its had a lot of work done to the internals, fresh connectors throughout and power supply work, new prat read keys etc etc.

I've only played with it a few hours, messing about and modifying the factory presets - first impressions are its unlike any other synth I own, and I really like it!! not a massive fan of the presets, but have managed to get some great sounds out of it so far by just using them as starting points.

Can't wait to start building sounds from scratch - its def a bit on the sharpe/bright side, but you can tame that with cut off and mixer section. I tend to like synths that sit in the foreground anyway, so the bold bass and leads from the MM will suit me. To me it sounds like the synth that will produce that 'signature' sound in a track that gets remembered.

I can see myself ditching a few of my other synths because of this beauty!

Wish I could afford a OB-Xa or a Sunsyn sister for it!

I'm not finding it any more noisy than my other old school synths.

Attached Thumbnails
Should I get a memorymoog?-img_6358.jpg  
Old 19th April 2014
Gear Nut

Probably, as long as you know what you are in for, before you take the leap of faith.
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

So, How much was the bill on your MM repairs?
Old 20th April 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
So, How much was the bill on your MM repairs?
me? not much, as had a very skilled associate repair it for me for a very cheap rate. the way I see it you have to be resourceful if you want to own a synth like this on a budget.

I'd make 1k profit if I sold it tomorrow. assuming it still works tomorrow ;D
Old 19th December 2014
Epic thread.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

DAMMIT!!! I wish I knew about overdriving the mixer.

I didn't have the manual. Regardless, arrogant old me thought I knew what I was doing. What a horrible programmer I am. :face palm:

I sold my MM+ a bit ago. I don't necessarily regret it, but I wish I found this thread prior to selling it so I could just run a few more experiments on it to really get a better understanding of it.

Oh well. I sold it when it was 100% functional and got a good deal for it. A #6 large at McDonalds for a MM+ is a good deal, right??? Guys???

BTW, Beautiful stuff Ned
Old 19th December 2014
I love MM demos because they kind of tell me how to program other synths / what to focus on, it has a certain randomness applied to the simplest of tones, making it behave a little bit like an acoustic piano in that the notes have a certain modulation / detuning thing going on. A degree of imperfection that makes it musical. The owner stories here balance on hilarious vs tragical. That joke about getting eight was bang on target. 'Lives for gear' gets another context in a thread like this one. Clearly a purchase to stay away from in any case whatsoever. Musical inspiration strikes in five seconds so having to wait for an instrument repair for over two years just isn't healthy. At all. You could have released six complete albums in that time. Which I say with the best of intentions. Clearly, guys, sell these Menorymoogs while they're easy to get rid of. You need to focus much much more on making music and having fun. The money you spend on repairs can buy a perfectly usable complete studio. I worry about your health here friends!
Old 29th December 2014
Here's a quick MM only track I did the other day, no eq, no compression, unbalanced output into a TAB tube DI and then into an HD24. Very dark but that's the patch choices, not the MM "sound", it can get hi-fi too.
Old 29th December 2014
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Addict

Nice machine, analog beast, but you need to get married with a service man!
l had one i the 90's and i had always problems. Tuning problems to!
Get a Roland GAIA instead ! Your bank account will stay in +
Old 29th December 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Here's a quick MM only track I did the other day, no eq, no compression, unbalanced output into a TAB tube DI and then into an HD24. Very dark but that's the patch choices, not the MM "sound", it can get hi-fi too.
like it!
Old 29th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
is it worth it? I'll let you know when I get mine back from repairs - its only been away for a year...

to be fair the work I've gotten done should make it a much more reliable machine, I've had all the work others have mentioned, the PSU, all crappy wiring and connectors etc etc plus aftertouch added and the kenton midi that had been badly installed overhauled

should have it back soon - I hope! better sound out of this world after the wait I've had

I read all the doom and gloom before hand, but at the time saw it as an investment because I got it so cheap - when I get it back I plan to enjoy it for a while, might not bother selling it, as I do want 1 powerhouse oldschool poly - originally I planned to get a OBXa, but I think I'll enjoy the moog just as much.

sometimes I have considered swapping for a Sunsyn, EMS Putney, OBXa, or a RA early model D

Where did you get aftertouch added? Assuming not Linntronics? I think I'd really like that mod. I'm thinking doing the power supply and fan mods myself. Very tempted to make a euro breakout box tapping into and out of the voices, the MM could be a euro system dream I suspect. Already having too much fun with clock in.
Old 29th December 2014
SEED78
I ended up not getting the after touch added, the kit I bought was not compatible ( bad eBay seller), and another one we tried to retrofit was a pain in the A. My kenton midi supports after touch, so maybe I can use a midi keyboard with after touch.

I did get all the other needed work done though, inc new connectors throughout, 4 of the voice cards being bought back to life, Pratt read keys, power supply over hauled. Result, a very stable memorymoog.
Old 30th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I ended up not getting the after touch added, the kit I bought was not compatible ( bad eBay seller), and another one we tried to retrofit was a pain in the A. My kenton midi supports after touch, so maybe I can use a midi keyboard with after touch.

I did get all the other needed work done though, inc new connectors throughout, 4 of the voice cards being bought back to life, Pratt read keys, power supply over hauled. Result, a very stable memorymoog.

Ah cool, I've got an older Kenton kit installed and it does have aftertouch! Not nearly as useful as I was hoping out of the box but maybe I need to tweak my controller a bit. I'd love to get that Vangelis style interface ability, the MM is perfect in sound for it.
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Do I need a Memorymoog? Does it have many sounds, not present in Memorymoon? Or am I simply imaging things....
It's a beautiful sounding instrument. Over the years, I never owned anything that sounded quite like the one I used to have.

That being said, I purchased mine new, and it was a nightmare from day one. I only owned it for 2.5 years, and it spent a little over 2 of that (I'm NOT exaggerating) in the shop. First trip back to the shop was less than 1 week after i got it, and it stayed in the shop for several months. It cost me session work, gigs ... I'd get it back from repair, it would work JUST long enough for me to think I might be able to do a session or gig somewhere, I'd spend hours and hours programming the custom sounds I wanted, and then 1 hour before count-off - boom again and back to the shop.

Moog fixed it over and over and over, gave me an extended warranty, fixed it again and again under that, and when that ran out, refused to work on it anymore under any kind a warranty. I pleaded with them over and over (very politely I might add) that it never worked long enough for me to actually use it, and for all that I paid for it I was owed a working instrument. However, that pleading, once the extended warranty ran out, fell on deaf ears. They refused to help me anymore.

Imagine purchasing a new car that you never got to drive! That's what I had...

I finally gave up and sold it for around $150 for parts. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I had owned many Moog products before that, and this was the only one that ever gave me issues. I lost my entire investment, not to mention a fortune in shipping it back in for repairs over and over, and never got any return from it at all. After the way I felt I had been treated, I swore off Moog and haven't owned anything by them since.

If you can find one that's stable, it's a wonderful sounding thing. However, "stable" and "MemoryMoog" doesn't seem to be something that goes well together.

Just my two cents. Somebody elses may vary.
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofAlgernon View Post
It's a beautiful sounding instrument. Over the years, I never owned anything that sounded quite like the one I used to have.

That being said, I purchased mine new, and it was a nightmare from day one. I only owned it for 2.5 years, and it spent a little over 2 of that (I'm NOT exaggerating) in the shop. First trip back to the shop was less than 1 week after i got it, and it stayed in the shop for several months. It cost me session work, gigs ... I'd get it back from repair, it would work JUST long enough for me to think I might be able to do a session or gig somewhere, I'd spend hours and hours programming the custom sounds I wanted, and then 1 hour before count-off - boom again and back to the shop.

Moog fixed it over and over and over, gave me an extended warranty, fixed it again and again under that, and when that ran out, refused to work on it anymore under any kind a warranty. I pleaded with them over and over (very politely I might add) that it never worked long enough for me to actually use it, and for all that I paid for it I was owed a working instrument. However, that pleading, once the extended warranty ran out, fell on deaf ears. They refused to help me anymore.

Imagine purchasing a new car that you never got to drive! That's what I had...

I finally gave up and sold it for around $150 for parts. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I had owned many Moog products before that, and this was the only one that ever gave me issues. I lost my entire investment, not to mention a fortune in shipping it back in for repairs over and over, and never got any return from it at all. After the way I felt I had been treated, I swore off Moog and haven't owned anything by them since.

If you can find one that's stable, it's a wonderful sounding thing. However, "stable" and "MemoryMoog" doesn't seem to be something that goes well together.

Just my two cents. Somebody elses may vary.
What was it that kept breaking?
Old 31st December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
What was it that kept breaking?
You name it!

Refusing to tune.
Voices going dead at random.
Memory dumps.

The one "really important gig" I needed it for, and it had just come back from the shop getting the "plus" upgrade ("This should stabilize it for you. We promise...") - set up at the venue, switched it on, ALL the lights came on, got brighter than they should have been, it went completely dead. Power supply went and fried the digital board in the process. Back to the shop...

You've no idea how bad I wanted this synth to work and be reliable!

Replaced it with a Matrix 12 and never looked back, but I still have fond memories of the sound...
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofAlgernon View Post
You name it!

Refusing to tune.
Voices going dead at random.
Memory dumps.

The one "really important gig" I needed it for, and it had just come back from the shop getting the "plus" upgrade ("This should stabilize it for you. We promise...") - set up at the venue, switched it on, ALL the lights came on, got brighter than they should have been, it went completely dead. Power supply went and fried the digital board in the process. Back to the shop...

You've no idea how bad I wanted this synth to work and be reliable!

Replaced it with a Matrix 12 and never looked back, but I still have fond memories of the sound...
Wow! That's awful. I didn't have mine long, maybe a year. The only problem I had was that every once in a while it would drop a note. But other than that, it ran fine. There was no other synth that I had that sounded like the Memorymoog. I had a Prophet5 rev2 and an Oberheim Xpander also. Traded the P5 for the Memorymoog plus some cash. The P5 and the MM did not sound anything like each other.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Here's one more reason to get one! It's my way of staying warm when it's freezing outside: turn on the Memorymoog! My baby's back from the shop, fresh as a daisy (or should I say ganja?)!

Old 18th April 2016
Gear Nut

The sound of the MM is unique and beautiful.

If you open up the box, you will see a tangled web of circuit boards and ribbon connectors.
I can only imagine the design process that went in to creating this synth.

Electronics have evolved significantly since 1982.
The MM was a product of the limitations of the available options.
That being said, those "limitations" and the design requirements to deal with them, are what make it so remarkable.

There is no way that anyone would design and create such a device today.
The very nature of the vast array of circuit boards and multitude of soldered parts render the MM a truly unique sound source.
The sounds are undeniably MM...

The tech is 1982.... 34 year old parts... but it still works.
And once in a while.... some part will die and need replacement.
Usually not DIY.
Good to have a repair tech available.

With all of the quirks, it sure sounds beautiful.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search