The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I get a memorymoog? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This being GS, the question isn't whether one should get a Memorymoog. The question is how many? You'd want at least two for real-time layering or more for multitimbral use; we all know faking it via multi-track just isn't the same. As indicated above, reliability can sometimes be an issue with these instruments, so buying a spare unit or two for parts would be wise. If you're planning on using them in a live setting, double the number. Plus, with prices always going up, it would be prudent to acquire additional units as an investment. I'd say start with at least eight and work on up from there.
This!
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
To be clear. I understand that my comment is a hard statement from one who don´t own one...
No sweat Firechild and thanks for relaying your experiences. I wasn't trying to sound all uppity and get in your face and I'm definitely not trying to convince anyone to get a Memorymoog. Now 8 Memorymoogs....hmmmm...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

If ever a vintage synth was worth the effort, it's this one. It's incredible.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
If ever a vintage synth was worth the effort, it's this one. It's incredible.
Absolutely. To me the MM is the finest synth ever. It's got texture in bucket loads. It can do delicate, wide, brassy, moody, dark, twisted. You name it. Soulful is the best word to describe it!! MMs are alive!!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, only thing better is the Voyetra-8...
Old 14th March 2014
SEED78
am guessing the 8 is harder to programme?

I really like the hands on lack of menu diving on the MM
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac
I know very little about analogs and Moogs, but there was a Memorymoog at my local GC a few weeks ago and I had a play on it. It frightened a small child who was close by.
Old 14th March 2014
SEED78
HA
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhbrit View Post
I know very little about analogs and Moogs, but there was a Memorymoog at my local GC a few weeks ago and I had a play on it. It frightened a small child who was close by.
MM's have ben known to scare many adults!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

We must be on the cusp of new polyphonic VCO synths, pouring money into notoriously troublesome old beasts could be just a rich man's folly. The MFB Dominion 5 will be a monster. Arturia could do one. We might even get a poly Novation (DCOs, whoops).

MFB preview:

Edit: Forgot the big one, if we don't get a poly based on the Moog Sub 37 I will be amazed, they've done 75% of the work.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
We must be on the cusp of new polyphonic VCO synths, pouring money into notoriously troublesome old beasts could be just a rich man's folly.
No sh#t... I have about had my share of handyman's specials. Keeping old poly analogs running is a chore.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I had two Memorymoogs (one was a MM+) that I bought new in the early 1980's. My impression is that they were buggy as hell and also that I got quite bored with the massive sound of them very soon. I sold them both within a year and moved on to things more versatile.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
I had two Memorymoogs (one was a MM+) that I bought new in the early 1980's. My impression is that they were buggy as hell and also that I got quite bored with the massive sound of them very soon. I sold them both within a year and moved on to things more versatile.
I don't get this 'sounds too big thing' that's being banded around by many folks- I've got extremely subtle and delicate sounds out of my MM. I'd say it's a very versatile poly!! Very!!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
I don't get this 'sounds too big thing' that's being banded around by many folks- I've got extremely subtle and delicate sounds out of my MM. I'd say it's a very versatile poly!! Very!!
Yeah just because it has 3 VCOs per voice doesn't mean you have to use them all and if you don't want to overdrive the filter just turn down the mixer levels...
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Triangle waveform x 2 Osc / filter + modulations = memoryclouds, not fearful children.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
I should be more clear. I pretty much got very bored with them in general, not only doing 3 osc massive stuff. I just didn't like their sound. Probably why I got more into digital synthesis and sampling from that point on.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

I had one in the 86, i sold it to buy something else the Jupiter 8 i think.
Massive sound, many problems, among others, in live i had many problems stay ''on tune'' with the others in band. I bought D 50 and M1 the year later.....

Anyway its a monster of the poly analogs, sounds FATTTTTTTTTTTTTTY.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
I did the connector overhaul almost twenty years ago. My MM has behaved worlds better since then. The only achilles heel is the [email protected]&% carbon contacts in the keyboard, if I ever find a used PR keyboard for a good price I am shoehorning that in as I HATE those Panasonic keyboards.
if you're having trouble with your MM contacts, you might check out this guys site. he apparently has replacements that work -

http://sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/pa...m#polycontacts
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

And so, after a few hours of noodling, gentle friends, here's my contribution to the ambient side of the Memorymoog:

https://soundcloud.com/ned-bouhalass...ast-memorymoog
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
And so, after a few hours of noodling, gentle friends, here's my contribution to the ambient side of the Memorymoog:

Beautiful track man, love it. And the MM is sublime!
Old 18th March 2014
SEED78
Quote:

very nice!
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Always nice to hear a MM song that doesn't sound like a 12 year old doodling on a keyboard.

Very Nice! Thanks for Posting!
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Beautiful music. This is exactly why I love my MM more than most of my other synths.
Old 19th March 2014
SEED78
I like the fact that when 'softer' sounds are coming out of the Memorymoog you can hear the power 'hiding' like it could pounce at any moment.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I like the fact that when 'softer' sounds are coming out of the Memorymoog you can hear the power 'hiding' like it could pounce at any moment.
"Does this synth go to 11?!?"
"Ummm... actually it doesn't"
"But it says '11' on the tin."
"Nigel wrote that there."
"Why did he do that?"
"Well, we found that if we believed the synth could go beyond what it was set at, it would improve the sound."
"But would the audience appreciate that?"
".... This is mainly a gift for our fans that buy the box set. It's in the liner notes."
Old 19th March 2014
SEED78
'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, buying a Memorymoog. You touch a key, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to'

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

"Don't... tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, Frodo I would use this MemoryMoog from a desire to do good. But through me it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."
Old 19th March 2014
SEED78
HA
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Very, very nice, Ned-- love all the music that I've heard of yours.

The Memorymoog+ is my favorite synth. It's easy to get amazing, character-laden sounds from it. I think in two weeks, I had replaced all 100 patches with my own sounds, and I don't consider myself a programming nerd at all. I like mostly the softer type sounds it can make because those fit my songs. I usually use only one or two oscs and keep the gain down on them. But other times going unison and getting all phat is where you want to go, which is just a button push away. Amazing filter. I like it better than my Jupiter 8. It doesn't hurt that it's easy on the eyes, either. But as far as advising that someone buy one-- factor in some significant dough to have it fixed professionally-- totally gone through, if need be. If someone is cool with that, I give them the green light. They are sought after on the vintage market, so one could sell it if one didn't like it.

Quote:

Old 30th March 2014
Would the Memorymoog boards be schrinkable into some chips?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search