The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Waldorf Streichfett

Just picked this up from KvR:

KVR: Forum Topic - Waldorf Streichfett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle
There is a blurred picture of a new Waldorf synth in an ad in the new Beat magazine:

In the ad it also says:

"There's actually not much to say, except maybe Joy Division, Bee Gees, Vangelis or wide, fat soundscapes." and it seems to be at least partly analog.

Seems like they're starting to milk the Rocket format - low price, very specialized sound/features.

This sounds to me like it might be a paraphonic string machine synth or something like that. German "streicher" = "strings".
Old 6th March 2014
cool well if streicher means strings, they mention valgelis and wide soundscapes I guess we have a pretty strong hint...but I guess it could be a paraphonic divide down architecture but perhaps an expansion of the polyphonic aspect of the rocket...
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know which string machine Nick Rhodes used on the first Duran Duran album? It sounds great on the song "Anyone Out There":

Duran Duran - Anyone Out There - YouTube

If Waldorf could nail that sound, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting...
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Just picked this up from KvR:

KVR: Forum Topic - Waldorf Streichfett

This sounds to me like it might be a paraphonic string machine synth or something like that. German "streicher" = "strings".

If that's the case then this kind of instrument is long overdue, as mentioned on other forums.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Kewl.
Old 6th March 2014
Yumm! Another neat little waldorf box! I love my rocket and l am looking forward to get the 2 pole filter! Waldorf is going the right way with expanding their little desktop system! Hope they will also provide an ios support just like with Rocket!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Weird name -- apparently means "margarine" or "spreadable fat" in German...?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Joy Division used the ARP Omni 2 and the ARP Solina so string synth sounds like a good bet.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Instant GAS.
And yes, "Streichfett" literally means "spreadable fat", which butter and margarine can be described as.
But also, as said, "Streicher" means "Strings", "Streichorchester" = "String orchestra", etc....
and "fett" is obviously also meaning "fat" when used to describe a synth sound.

So it's a real funny word play with a double meaning
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

So analog and paraphonic, nice -- maybe some analog chorus onboard, hopefully

I really like paraphonic textures -- this will likely be a no brainer purchase for me.

Keep the audio in, please!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

I was gonna buy a delta but might pick up one of these instead for a lot cheaper
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I was gonna buy a delta but might pick up one of these instead for a lot cheaper
+1 me too
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
Does anyone know which string machine Nick Rhodes used on the first Duran Duran album? It sounds great on the song "Anyone Out There":

Duran Duran - Anyone Out There - YouTube

If Waldorf could nail that sound, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
He used a Crumar Performer back then so most likely that.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Excellent. Huge space saver compared to an old analogue string machine too.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

Hmm, "Streichfett". Might also be a distant relative of Boba Fett. If so, we can expect explosive sounds with a rocketbased interface!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusiker View Post
Hmm, "Streichfett". Might also be a distant relative of Boba Fett. If so, we can expect explosive sounds with a rocketbased interface!
And that it will unceremoniously die at the start of your 3rd recording.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

More for German speakers here :

Forum • Ein neuer Flächenleger von Waldorf "Streichfett"?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

A string machine in that tiny little box? Old divide-down synths have a lot of circuitry! If so, nice!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

a smal footprint string machine? Probably around $330 like Rocket?

Yes please.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict
Nice! you have my attention
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru
Hell yeah
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
And that it will unceremoniously die at the start of your 3rd recording.
pssst... that wasn't the REAL Boba Fett that died. My own theory is the continuing trilogy will have the REAL Boba Fett, and the "Boba Fett" that died was in fact another mere clone deceptively supplied to that Jabba giant gangster slug.

Like in the movie Multiplicity when you have a lot of of clones of yourself, you can get a lot of stuff done in a hurry.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure how I feel about this trend, of which Korg was the progenitor, of producing these cheapo, single-purpose devices. It just seems to feed into our disposable, no-impulse-control culture where you end up with a bunch of plastic crap cluttering up your studio.

Sure, Waldorf products are more professional than the Korg Monotron or Volca series, for instance. And a dedicated string machine from Waldorf sounds like a cool product. But I don't think Waldorf would be developing these sorts of boxes if Korg had not been so successful selling these little gizmos. I suppose these "toys" help democratize music making. And that's not a bad thing. But I would just like to see Waldorf making more great synthesizers like the Microwave that have endured the test of time. Going after the low end of the market seems like a waste of their tremendous skills.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

If much rather have specialized devices that do one thing very well than a jack of all trades workstation type thing. Just my preference. I do wish a lot of new stuff felt more solid but as far as build stability goes I bet a lot of the new stuff will have longer life spans than the old stuff.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Modularity is great. I'm on board as long as quality is not affected, as in the case of Korg's stuff.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
pssst... that wasn't the REAL Boba Fett that died. My own theory is the continuing trilogy will have the REAL Boba Fett, and the "Boba Fett" that died was in fact another mere clone deceptively supplied to that Jabba giant gangster slug.

Like in the movie Multiplicity when you have a lot of of clones of yourself, you can get a lot of stuff done in a hurry.
Clones? Not in my stars wars mythology.
Old 6th March 2014
Personally, I couldn't think of a more boring "one trick pony" than a paraphonic string machine with limited controls. The Rocket sounds absolutely divine, I will admit. Been kicking around the notion of buying one, even though it's a superfluous purchase.

I'd like to see them make a product that would compete with RYTM/TR-8/Tempest. Like rackmountable Attack 2 with analog bass drum/snare, step sequencer, and the ability to load samples. $1,000 USD.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
If much rather have specialized devices that do one thing very well than a jack of all trades workstation type thing.
Agreed. But the Microwave, for instance, is an incredibly powerful professional instrument that is about as far from a "workstation" as you can get.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search