The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear
also remember that this product is not 100% finished. Waldorf says they still have some tweaking to do, so the sound will improve some more before its released
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarSnafu View Post
It'll be more like 400 dollars, partially due to the expense of a European company distributing to the US. Though as JRRshop has shown, eventually the price of the Waldorf stuff comes down a bit.
I'm not sure where I read $200. I'll wait for ebay to offer that price to me :-)
Old 13th March 2014
240 euro street the guy from Waldorf said. (275 recommended price)
next month - 6 weeks - or so...

don't know if this is the string for me.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I hoped I could do something else than soundtracks to "adult films" with it. After hearing the demos, I think this is not the case. I'm a bit underwhelmed... but just enough not to buy it...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have no use for this, yet there's something appealing about Joy Division in a box.
Old 13th March 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

I've just sent this message to one of Waldorf employees. I wonder do others feel the same after hearing the demo.

----paste----

Just listened to the demo. IMO, Streichfett needs a bit more content in the upper end (above 10k).

The old BBD units in the early revision of Logan String Ensemble would go way above 12 kHz. I've measured it myself when comparing it to newer version. Only difference in the units (and i know it, since i was servicing my unit at that point) was different revision of BBD chips. Newer version was around 9 kHz. Perhaps the one you modeled it after was with the newer version of BBD chips and hence a bit darker sound? What i'm saying is - old revision sounds much better due to more hi freq sound. And keep in mind Solina is at that freq range as well, if not a bit brighter.

In the demo I've noticed very band limited sound. I know aliasing sux, but so does too much band limiting. I hope some compromise can be found in the middle!!! Please don't bandlimit it too much! I've listend that demo over and over, the sound isn't in the ballpark yet. Needs way way more high frequency content! The rest sounds excellent.

Anyway i think of a sandpaper when i describe how old stringers used to sound. Super dry, super sharp. Definitely needs more high freq.

As of modelling, one little footnote - it would be essential that the unit on which you based analysis upon (Logan, Solina, RS-202, etc) was recapped (new electrolytic caps in) and calibrated to factory specs before analyzing it. Else you are analyzing a system with wrong component values. To elaborate: Average electrolyte capacitor has its lifespan less than 35 years. Not to mention we talk about 70's low tech capacitors that weren't meant to last that long at the first place. As they age, they dry and therefore lose capacitence value, putting the whole system into wrong state - with the sound suffering first.

Just some thinkings of a synth maniac...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I Think it sounds quite nice ... Particularly the choir sounds. I'm not a connoisseur by any means though.

Some us just aren't into VSTs.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Don - I think they modelled it on Korg Lambda, not Logan, nor Solina, nor RS-202...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

In the demo I've noticed very band limited sound. I know aliasing sux, but so does too much band limiting. I hope some compromise can be found in the middle!!! Please don't bandlimit it too much!
I am never sure what people mean when they say "bandlimited sound".

Strictly semantically and technically, "very bandlimited" means a narrow transition band (of a lowpass function in this case),
and thats what you get when you record the signal, where it's ideally 0 width, and that's how VA should be, ideally.

"less bandlimited" OTOH would mean a wider transistion band, which means either
a more lowpass sounding signal here or/and an aliasing signal - I assume neither is what you want.

But sandpaper - yes

Or did you mean it sounds to bandpassed?
Old 13th March 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
I am never sure what people mean when they say "bandlimited sound".
The top and lows are not present, i.e., a band remains in the middle, limited by the roll off of high and low frequencies.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear
i guess im gonna have to repeat myself here before waldorf gets more emails about the sound

In this clip at around the 5:20 mark, waldorf says they still need to tweak the filters/eq settings by someone more experienced so the sound will change and i imagine will be more pleasant

MESSE 2014: Waldorf Striechfett String Machine Demo, First listen (Video) - Sonic State Amped
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

After playing with it I got more of an ARP Omni vibe than my "dry" Solina vibe. The unit is very immediate in usage and the string waveshape knob can do some weird and interesting things!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
After playing with it I got more of an ARP Omni vibe than my "dry" Solina vibe. The unit is very immediate in usage and the string waveshape knob can do some weird and interesting things!
I noticed that in the video which is why it is an instant buy for me when they have it sorted.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Did you notice what kind of controller setup they had underneath the pink housing at the show?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpureus View Post
The phaser and modulation in the current demos are all over the place - this does not sound good to me.
LP:
Yea the phaser is ridiculous as it sits. Seems to have potential though once it's removed. Time will tell.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

As many have said, there's nothing earth-shatteringly ground breaking about this device, and I would imagine there are plenty of soft synths and/or sample libraries that could cover a fair amount of ground that this could cover. But after a span of several years of synths trying to be "everything machines" I can't help but be attracted by some of these little one trick pony type mini-synths. Doesn't take up a lot of room, likely to outlast most of the software most of us are using, and it doesn't break the bank.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf View Post
As many have said, there's nothing earth-shatteringly ground breaking about this device, and I would imagine there are plenty of soft synths and/or sample libraries that could cover a fair amount of ground that this could cover. But after a span of several years of synths trying to be "everything machines" I can't help but be attracted by some of these little one trick pony type mini-synths. Doesn't take up a lot of room, likely to outlast most of the software most of us are using, and it doesn't break the bank.
Not to mention that there are many of us who don't use or don't want to use VSTs. We require something tactile that's not another goddamned MIDI controller.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Not to mention that there are many of us who don't use or don't want to use VSTs. We require something tactile that's not another goddamned MIDI controller.

I'd love a midi controller that was more milspec than McDonalds. Might even sway some hardware guys to give vst's a go since the feel thing is such a big part of the attraction. The new Arturia ones look promising but I have yet to touch one.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

It sounds digital to my ears, but mostly in a good way. Definitely their own take on the sound. So far I like it.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Did you notice what kind of controller setup they had underneath the pink housing at the show?
That's a Zarenbourg, Waldorf's take on the stage piano/electromechanical piano

They had about 4 production units there, which is a good sign - better than having one prototype under glass
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, and they look great together!
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Streichfett-waldorf-steichfett-2.jpg  
Old 14th March 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
Oh boy! Oh boy! Will someone switch that reverb off. Please?

I have a whole rack of reverbs. I want to hear the actual string section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Don - I think they modelled it on Korg Lambda, not Logan, nor Solina, nor RS-202...
If you look at the video you will notice Stefan is mentioning they are currently working on setting the right filter / frequency response of the unit and it will include comparison against string machines such as Logan, Solina and others. This is what my comment was addressing.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

I know some some great analog string machine fans that need to sell their eminents if Waldorf make a great string machine.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Oh boy! Oh boy! Will someone switch that reverb off. Please?

I have a whole rack of reverbs. I want to hear the actual string section.

I actually find the reverb quite nice sounding. Universes better than the one on the Blofeld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Yeah, and they look great together!
Indeed, it can be a nice Waldorf tower of power:

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I spent a total of about five minutes jamming on a Streichfett at Musikmesse yesterday. So I'm hesitant to make any serious statements about it. My general impression, though, was positive. It sounded good and was fun to play.

It's a cool little box -- and it's limitations are part of the appeal. The design aesthetic is also charming.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpureus View Post
I hoped I could do something else than soundtracks to "adult films" with it. After hearing the demos, I think this is not the case. I'm a bit underwhelmed... but just enough not to buy it...
On that basis, I may get it purely as it will allow me to enter adult films.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

CDM put up a couple of samples they made at Musikmesse. They notes that the synth is unfinished and parts are still a little rough:

Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
CDM put up a couple of samples they made at Musikmesse. They notes that the synth is unfinished and parts are still a little rough:

Sounds good!! I reckon the Purple Margarine will be decent for laying some weird-ass spacey textures of sound! sequencing the box is going to be so much fun!
hope for the Streichfett control for iOS
The last part in the second track is very nice. Cool sound!
I have a feeling that this lil box is a very capable modern string synth.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

The demonstrators really seem to love that phaser.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search