The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpureus View Post

If it sounds anything like the old string machines, there will be no question whether I will buy it. The question will be what analogue chorus and phaser pedals I'll buy to expand Streichfett's sound palette.
This. Just this.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

I volunteer to do it...just get me those instruments and I will make a 2 hours demo...a man can dream!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
Now THAT'S a demo I'd like to see!
Old 8th March 2014
Excuse my ignorance, but what is special about a string synth? I can make string sounds on pretty much any synth. Not really one of the more complicated things to program. What makes a string synth a string synth?

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Guru

Paraphony and the ensemble effect. Search Youtube for Elkorus demos - they also demonstrate why the divide-down aource doesn't matter much.

Reaktor also has a good Solina ensemble if you want to give it a go rightaway.
Old 8th March 2014
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that nearly everyone that responded to this thread with enthusiasm and statements such as "yes please" or "I'm all over that" or the like ALREADY has at least BUT PROBABLY MORE THAN one synth that does string sounds.They probably have hardware and software and tens if not hundreds of string sounds. The point is this...

It suggests to me that many of those responding and on GS are more interested in the gear than the music. Besides that fact that one can now use very sophisticated sample sets to make pretty good facsimiles of the string sections in an orchestra, just about any synth, hardware of software, can do an infinite variety on the "string machine" sound.

It seems the companies are deliberately making these cheap toy devices because they know allot of people just like buying gear more than they like creating music with it. Creating music requires hard work and is not full of instant gratification. One must work for gratification. These people to me are the gear equivalents of Imelda Marcos and shoes. Shopaholics.

There should be a 12 step group for gear addicts.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Reaktor also has a good Solina ensemble if you want to give it a go rightaway.
It's pretty good, especially the chorus and phaser, but what I have always wondered ist this:

it's phase aligned oscillators are aligned symmetrically, at the midpoint of the ramp
but I think the alignments should be at the wrapping points, half cycle offset to how it is
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that nearly everyone that responded to this thread with enthusiasm and statements such as "yes please" or "I'm all over that" or the like ALREADY has at least BUT PROBABLY MORE THAN one synth that does string sounds.They probably have hardware and software and tens if not hundreds of string sounds. The point is this...

It suggests to me that many of those responding and on GS are more interested in the gear than the music. Besides that fact that one can now use very sophisticated sample sets to make pretty good facsimiles of the string sections in an orchestra, just about any synth, hardware of software, can do an infinite variety on the "string machine" sound.

It seems the companies are deliberately making these cheap toy devices because they know allot of people just like buying gear more than they like creating music with it. Creating music requires hard work and is not full of instant gratification. One must work for gratification. These people to me are the gear equivalents of Imelda Marcos and shoes. Shopaholics.

alot of people including myself prefer working with hardware over software.
Besides software fails miserably at stringers, and these newer waldorf desktop synths are hardly toys
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Bullseye is right though, all you need is a good chorus and you're 90% there. Free VSTs can do the job too:

Elektrostudio
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

The thought that paraphony and the ensemble effect is mostly responsible for the string synth sound makes as much sense to me as saying that you can get a Hammond B3 sound by running any old organ through a Leslie.

I like the divide-down sound so much that I own three divide-down synths, only one of which is a stringer, the other two are pianosynths. Other producers will ask about how I got that sound on my tracks the most out of all the equipment I use, for what that's worth.

Even though I already own a string synth, I'd be interested in this because these old machines can be problematic because of their age, and a real pain to fix, plus MIDI would be nice.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Bullseye is right though, all you need is a good chorus and you're 90% there. Free VSTs can do the job too:

Elektrostudio
meh, listen to that then listen to this. doesn't compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amYy4aqJrQU
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
meh, listen to that then listen to this. doesn't compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amYy4aqJrQU
Yes, sounds great but in this thread we've been drooling over a forthcoming Waldorf digi box, not the real thing!
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Yes, sounds great but in this thread we've been drooling over a forthcoming Waldorf digi box, not the real thing!
touche Im excited to hear some demos of the waldorf.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't you even want to know what it sounds like -- or what it's like to work with in realtime -- before you preach?
Old 8th March 2014
Quote:
no offence...

i joined this forum not because it is called "Gear Addict Anonymous"

but because its called Gearslutz! where we all can discuss and satisfy our lust for gear...

take it easy...
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, this seems strange to me too. Coming to a forum called "gearslutz" and reproaching the members for being enthusiastic about gear
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm far more interested in music than gear but I do like the look of it, really portable fun little synth
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess

This is where you f'd up...

Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm interested as having a polyphonic string machine frees up a lot of voices that strings would use up on my other hardware, meaning I can have strings and everything else I want all at once.

Yes I have software that could do it, but do I like using it as much as hardware? No. I just personally find hardware more satisfying to use and more likely to get me making music/tweaking/exploring rather than when using software with a mouse or mapping it to controllers.

Making the creative work even more accessible and quick to engage with rather than spending time on technical/setup/mechanical studio work is always beneficial IMO.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I mean, it's certainly true that some people might be into gear acquisition in and of itself (and the fun of playing with new toys), and I don't even want to judge that - it's not my thing, but whatever, there are far worse hobbies in the world. I certainly care more about the process of making music than the precise gear that I use to make it - if you locked me in a room with a ****ty tascam 4 track, some crummy starter-quality ROMpler, and a mediocre multieffects pedal, I'm sure I could end up with some music that I liked anyway. For me, these are the reasons I'm intrigued by the idea of an affordable hardware stringer:
  • I don't turn my nose up at plugins (and I'm sure there are decent ones out there that can get close), but I do prefer the tactile experience of a dedicated module, with knobs/switches made to control each part of its function (as opposed to mapping a generic midi control surface to a VST).
  • I really like running my synths through pedals - of course I can run stuff out from my audio interface on my computer to do this, but it's much more annoying and less immediate in my experience.
  • For live performances (or just for going anywhere outside my house to make music) having a small, interesting module would be great - sure, I can make cool string sounds by running my Kurzweil K2000 through a pile of phasers and delays, but I'm not trying to bring that heavy son of a bitch with me for shows/playing with friends.
  • Finally, and most importantly - I understand chiding people who have like 4 polymoogs and a fairlight that spend more time polishing them than making music (although again, who really cares how people get their kicks), but we're talking about a neat looking $300 synth full of odd features that came out of nowhere and fills a niche that has long been considered to be dead by synth manufacturers (and most players); why wouldn't people be excited about it?
Note: it does feel a bit silly expending this much energy slagging/defending a synth that no one's even heard yet... but, c'mon, it has a 'Pluto' setting! PLUTO!
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Creating music requires hard work and is not full of instant gratification. One must work for gratification. These people to me are the gear equivalents of Imelda Marcos and shoes. Shopaholics.

This statement really provokes a rude answer... I'll resist and give you an example. When I used my Korg Lambda and Moog LP, it did not require any hard work. All it required was pressing a few power switches, a couple of buttons and playing the two keyboards while watching how the sky changes colours at twilight.

Unfortunately the Lambda ended it's run after nearly 40 years of pushing electrons through its complex innards.

Now, I really welcome a modern piece of kit that could potentially give me the same simple enjoyment without the hassles typical of old vintage gear. I'm really enthusiastic about Streichfett and I don't think I should be ashamed of it because somebody somewhere thinks that music requires a lot of work, ideally with computers and samples.

Here's a snippet of music that I'm talking about:
Attached Files

StringMoog.mp3 (2.35 MB, 567 views)

Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

I might be wrong but I believe you need twelve VCOs for the classic divide down sound. You also need an insane number of divide down circuits nevermind filters and the rest. In a classic string machine all the key are sounding all at once and depressing a key triggers a gate on a VCA that is unique to that key (this is why midi or cv were virtually possible). There is no way you could pull that off analog for the prices that are being discussed here esp. in a tiny plastic box.

*Correction the 12 oscillators are fixed frequency not proper VCOs

Last edited by pandar; 9th March 2014 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandar View Post
I might be wrong but I believe you need twelve VCOs for the classic divide down sound. You also need an insane number of divide down circuits nevermind filters and the rest. In a classic string machine all the key are sounding all at once and depressing a key triggers a gate on a VCA that is unique to that key (this is why midi or cv were virtually possible). There is no way you could pull that off analog for the prices that are being discussed here esp. in a tiny plastic box.
Actually both the Moog Polymoog and the Roland RS–09 were 2 VCO synths, for just a couple of examples.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Actually both the Moog Polymoog and the Roland RS–09 were 2 VCO synths, for just a couple of examples.
for the roland

Still the same principle I believe the top octave chip is a 12 fixed oscs in a chip http://rudn.nodevice.com/preview/big/324/324075-2.jpg

and the polymoog is almost overflowing with components like straight CS80 territory

Last edited by pandar; 9th March 2014 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: more
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted User
it seems to be short a power supply jack? would it be USB powered then?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
it seems to be short a power supply jack? would it be USB powered then?
I'd assume so - the Rocket is the same way.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Because the architecture of most string machines is fairly simple, it should in theory be straightforward to create a sample-based instrument that captures the essence of most of the classic units. And that's pretty much what Gforce have done with their Virtual String Machine. I was about to download the demo to check it out. But I'm just curious to know why people would be more excited by the Streichfett than the VSM. Assuming the Streichfett is digital (or mostly digital,) it's probably safe to say that the sample-based VSM is going to give you a more authentic tone. (How could it not? It's samples of the real thing.) And as I understand it, Gforce have also "modeled" many of the quirks/limitations of the original machines such as the filter and envelope behavior and so forth.

So is it just the fact that the Streichfett is hardware (and cute) that has people so interested? Or do people think it's going to be more authentic and/or musical? If so, why?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
Because the architecture of most string machines is fairly simple, it should in theory be straightforward to create a sample-based instrument that captures the essence of most of the classic units. And that's pretty much what Gforce have done with their Virtual String Machine. I was about to download the demo to check it out. But I'm just curious to know why people would be more excited by the Streichfett than the VSM. Assuming the Streichfett is digital (or mostly digital,) it's probably safe to say that the sample-based VSM is going to give you a more authentic tone. (How could it not? It's samples of the real thing.) And as I understand it, Gforce have also "modeled" many of the quirks/limitations of the original machines such as the filter and envelope behavior and so forth.

So is it just the fact that the Streichfett is hardware (and cute) that has people so interested? Or do people think it's going to be more authentic and/or musical? If so, why?
Can't speak for anyone else, but basically my tentative interest (which is still tempered until I actually hear the damn thing) is based on the following:

A. OK, sure, it's hardware - not an automatic bonus by any means, but since my music production software is on my desktop and my laptop is too crummy/unreliable/laggy to use plugins live, the idea of a standalone (but not huge) unit is cool. As mentioned above, i also like the idea of running it through my various pedal FX and I find that to be easier and more fun with hardware.

B. I'm interested in the possibility that this is not just a slavish imitation of previous string synths, but it's own weird waldorf-ish take on the style - if it can do a Solina sound then yay for it, but here's hoping it sounds like its own thing, while also having the ability to roughly emulate the stringers that preceded it.

C. Any time a synth manufacturer takes a risk/makes an unusual sound module, I'm always at least a little interested, and applaud them for trying something different - of course it could flop miserably, but bully for Waldorf for doing something out of left field.

Anyway, regarding your specific question - no, I don't think that it will necessarily be more 'authentic' or 'musical' (although those are both subjective qualities, of course), and I'm sure the GForce plugin is capable of good emulations and/or usable or interesting sounds. I think it would be a bit silly for anyone to be assuming anything about its sound based on some photographs alone...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
This is where you f'd up...

Although writing what he wrote on a site like this is always gonna get people's backs up, you disagree that some people on here are more into gear than music?

Seems self-evident to me. Witness threads about, you know, musicians/artists (rather than gadgets) where people chime in with "huh, never heard of him/her/them" as a kind of badge of honour.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It suggests to me that many of those responding and on GS are more interested in the gear than the music.

These people to me are the gear equivalents of Imelda Marcos and shoes. Shopaholics.
Don't poke the bear unless you are prepared to get your ass chewed off. LOL. In my experience, many people on this forum get flustered and defensive if you ask any question that requires a bit of self reflection.

I say this as someone who owns 18 hardware synthesizers. So I guess I'm part of the problem. Ha ha.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

We'll it,s kinda like going into a bar and asking people if they have drinking problems, some of them will get pissed off, especially if you are in the bar too
....drinking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search