The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

hmmmm... Looks nice- I love the string synth sound (it is captured well in VST instruments these days)

What I miss from my old RS-09 is the audio input.
I could never get my hands on the rare MTI ensemble box- so I use samples in a box for string ensemble sound today.

I was hoping the Waldorf would have that input to the ensemble effect feature.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

I love string machines.

So I'm very interested to see what this thing can do. I've never heard a digital representation of a BBD ensemble that completely captures the sound of the real thing.

I wonder too whether they'll have different envelope modes for the string section. If it's paraphonic like the Solina and RS505 that would be a bit of a bind for me. I prefer the true full polyphonic articulation of the Logan, Godwin and others.

Tony
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Specs are mentioning "fully polyphonic"...
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

.....an analog pad machine...ok...sounds good....

but for a hardware true analog attack drummodule, with everything where airatr8 could'nt keep the promises, would be just mindblowing....even for 1000 bucks....
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru
Dammit.. I want one

Its like something I dreamed would happen when I sold my Crumar Orchestrator
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Guys... Waldorf has finally opened their own forum!

Waldorf Music Forum :: Category Index

No more mailing list... I mean it's still there for archiving... but this is much better.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

No more mailing list... I mean it's still there for archiving... but this is much better.
Finally!!!! Seriously. Thanks for the info.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice find, and thanks!
Old 7th March 2014
Wildfunk
Where are the muuuthaaaaafaaaagging sound demos?
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
Does anyone know which string machine Nick Rhodes used on the first Duran Duran album? It sounds great on the song "Anyone Out There":

Duran Duran - Anyone Out There - YouTube

If Waldorf could nail that sound, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Nicked used a Crumar Performer running through an MXR phaser pedal.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

So...instead of a fully featured Rocket, we get a...modern String Synthesizer (with a weird name). Why Waldorf? Why?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

How cool is that? Who would have thunk in 2014 we would see a
Dedicated string ensemble resurface.

I,ll have one, to go with my crumar multiman / small stone phaser
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
So...instead of a fully featured Rocket, we get a...modern String Synthesizer (with a weird name). Why Waldorf? Why?
Because it seems they're still sorta struggling solidifying bigger things, so they need more income, and that's easiest to generate by offering low-cost great-sounding compact boxes rather than Stromberg-like things? Megalomania is all fine and dandy, but let's not forget how Waldorf didn't end up quite well in the 90s...

I think this is good. They have a Rocket-format range, a Blofeld-format range, let's see what's next on the Blokey-format range (apart from obvious Pulse 2 Keyboard incoming at some point, likely)...
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because it seems they're still sorta struggling solidifying bigger things, so they need more income, and that's easiest to generate by offering low-cost great-sounding compact boxes rather than Stromberg-like things? Megalomania is all fine and dandy, but let's not forget how Waldorf didn't end up quite well in the 90s...

I think this is good. They have a Rocket-format range, a Blofeld-format range, let's see what's next on the Blokey-format range (apart from obvious Pulse 2 Keyboard incoming at some point, likely)...
Is it so hard for them to make a Blofeld with Rocket's OSCs? Is this called megalomania?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

No one else has done it, which seems a good enough reason
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
Is it so hard for them to make a Blofeld with Rocket's OSCs? Is this called megalomania?
I suppose such a device would be possible, but I don't think it's possible to get anywhere near the polyphony/features of blofeld. Besides, does the pulse 2 not somewhat fulfill this niche?

Personally, and I don't think I speak for myself here, the real demand is for a knobby poly wavetable with analogue filters. But as was said already, the r and d coats on such a thing are likely enormous, hence the need for smaller devices along the way.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
hmmmm... Looks nice- I love the string synth sound (it is captured well in VST instruments these days)

What I miss from my old RS-09 is the audio input.
I could never get my hands on the rare MTI ensemble box- so I use samples in a box for string ensemble sound today.

I was hoping the Waldorf would have that input to the ensemble effect feature.
I'd specifically like something that replicates the RS-09 type sound, one of my all time fave bands used one back in the day, do you reckon this unit could do it/be it?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

There might be some demos at Messe next week for you to find out.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder if it will sound decent/good ?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Finally someone started making string machines again! Hopefully it will be good, although when I think of companies that would make vintage-like analog string machines Waldorf wasn't the first one I thought of. The thing is, it needs to be good. Not all string machines are alike. Solina, Crumar Performer, (various others)....excellent. If it's only going to sound as good as an RS-09, I'd rather use software. Looking forward to hearing this.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think Waldorf nails it almost everytime with new products. Quality products at low price. I hope soon, they will release a flagship synth.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

So is this synth format standalone or do you need to have it plugged into your computer at all times?
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
Joy Division used the ARP Omni 2 and the ARP Solina so string synth sounds like a good bet.
if it can NAIL this sound i'll get one....simple as that

Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpureus View Post
So is this synth format standalone or do you need to have it plugged into your computer at all times?
Just like Rocket and 2-Pole before it, it can be standalone, for sure.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

That's great. I used to have a large and heavy stringer and always thought that it was taking a bit too much space for what it was. I love the divide-down synths and Streichfett seems to be a perfect reincarnation of this technology. Definitely, fully polyphonic articulation is a big plus.

If it sounds anything like the old string machines, there will be no question whether I will buy it. The question will be what analogue chorus and phaser pedals I'll buy to expand Streichfett's sound palette.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy View Post
.....an analog pad machine...ok...sounds good....

but for a hardware true analog attack drummodule, with everything where airatr8 could'nt keep the promises, would be just mindblowing....even for 1000 bucks....
loads of options for analog drum machines in the $1000 range

I think if your gonna spend that much it would be wise to go eurorack, mfb is good value, and theres loads of 808/909 bd/sd clones around 100 each
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

So happy they did this! I'm sure I'll love it for that price!
Changes my 2014 plans though lol
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I think people may be getting ahead of themselves. The Streichfett will likely have digital oscillators to provide the necessary polyphony. And I if I had to wager, I would bet that the effects will be digital as well.

It may still sound great. But I don't think this will be an all-analog string machine like classic units from the 70s and 80s. But I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: I just read the specs on Waldorf's site. The fact that the unit includes reverb strongly indicates that the effects are digital. And I'm starting to wonder if the sounds are sample-based.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

It just needs 1 analogue VCO per octave really, so a basic stringer would be cheap and small to build, and they're all totally 61-key (or however many key) polyphonic, due to the divider circuits, however yes, to be entirely analogue it would need:

- Analogue vocal filter for the choir sound
- BBD chorus
- Analogue phaser
- VCO and VCA for both poly and mono sections (possible **** solina style triggering if it's analogue) etc etc

I'm on the fence about whether they could cram it all into the space and for that price, it seems barely possible. The possibilities are.

A. It's all digital.
B. It's all analogue.
C. Digital oscillators with Analogue effects.
D. Vica versa of D.

I'm hoping for anything except A, but it looks so damned fun I might have to nab one anyway x
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I'm not going to judge this synth on the basis of the technology used. I'm interested in irresistible dense and animated organic sound that makes me want to listen to it for hours.

The monophonic E-Piano and Clavi give a hint that Streichfett will have an analogue oscillator. What would be another reason for making monophonic impressions of the otherwise polyphonic instruments?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search