The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Nut

I'm coming up to 2 years with my streichfett and it's still solid
Old 16th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
Does someone have any good reocmmendations of an equivalent softsynth?
I'm not a huge Arturia soft synth fan, but I do really like their Solina, Farfisa, and Wurlitzer plugins quite a bit.

If you ditch their built in fx, and opt for maybe Valhalla übermod, and a really dirty reverb, then some sat/dist, it sounds great.
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

I agree on Arturia Solina - it's lovely once you ditch their effects. Funnily enough it's Valhalla I use as well ... it's got a nice Solina Ensemble in it
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Firmware V 1.13

Anybody tried this 1.13 firmware yet? Not sure when they released this version or if it addresses the internal digital clipping or not.

Thanks. Wasn't aware about the update
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio View Post
Thanks. Wasn't aware about the update
Didn't do much for the distortion.

I'm now running my Streichfett through an analogue filter to take the edge off it and using Ubermod and Valhalla Vintage for effects.

Much better.

Old 16th August 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikers1945 View Post
Hey Don Solaris, i dont know if you knew but Attack Mag has your video on their best of digital synths article: Ten Of The Best: New Digital Synths - Attack Magazine
Sorry for the late response. Took me just two and half years to respond. Thanks for info.
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

Ok slutz, herez the promised
Don Solaris Streichfett Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmr7dlbHm4

For some reason audio is better when you select 720p resolution. So please do.
Thank you Don for a terrific demo! I bought the Streichfett when I saw your video. Is there a way to share patches?
Thanks and congratulations!
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Thank you Don for a terrific demo! I bought the Streichfett when I saw your video. Is there a way to share patches?
Thanks and congratulations!
agreed, Don put the Streichfett on the want list for me. I had previously dismissed it.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

just checked , firmware is now on 1.14

recent versions
1.12 - added panning MIDI controller CC 10
- added main volume MIDI controller CC 7
- fixed mono compatibility
- disabled echo of received MIDI controllers

1.13 - no more garbage sent via serial MIDI

1.14 - set master tune on device via "Depth" and all preset buttons down
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Great find of this new firmware. Last time I upgraded my virusscanner complained about the program Waldorff mentioned to do the upgrade with.

I suppose playing the (most likely sysex) midi file to the Streichfett with any decent midiplayer would do the trick?
Any tips?

Oh yeah, what's the quickest way to find out which firmware is actually running on it?
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralbert View Post
Oh yeah, what's the quickest way to find out which firmware is actually running on it?
https://waldorfmusic.com/en/kunena-e...irmware-status

I used the SysEx method on my newly arrived Streichfett. The two version bytes came back as 01 0E in hex which is 01 14 in decimal and I assume (they don't really specify how to interpret those bytes) that means version 1.14.

Then again, I just tried the new feature in 1.14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streichfett-V114.txt
1.14 - set master tune on device via "Depth" and all preset buttons down
and that doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I'll just update it and see what happens.

And yes, I would also assume that playing that mid file through any MIDI sequencer that doesn't filter SysEx will work.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Well, I just updated my Streichfett to 1.14 using Spectre but it's giving the same two bytes 01 0E. In fact all bytes in the Identity Response are identical to before the update. However, the new Master Tune function now works whereas previously it did not.

I wonder if my specimen had a firmware installed from the factory that was labeled 1.14 but did not yet include this new feature?

Apart from this, I'm also having a problem with the unit: it doesn't seem to respons to the sustain pedal. Am I missing something here? Initially it would sometimes sustain the notes when holding the pedals and sometimes not.

At the moment this has changed to it never sustaining notes. I know it's receiving MIDI message from the Pedal connected to my D-10 because the currently selected Memory button flashes when I press or release the sustain pedal without fail. Afaik it's not even possible to change the CC# that the D-10 sends when you press the sustain pedal, its MIDI menu is pretty limited.

I have read the Streichfett manual but I can't seem to find anything referring to this. This was a B-stock model but it looks absolutely brand new and a hardware failure seems unlikely. Any ideas?
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

@ Toyz - can you connect the pedal directly to the streichfett or send the correct cc from a dvice that is not the d 10 ?
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
@ Toyz - can you connect the pedal directly to the streichfett or send the correct cc from a dvice that is not the d 10 ?
Yeah, I will try that tomorrow (the bolded bit; it doesn't have a pedal input). If that doesn't work I'll do some cross-checking (seeing if some other module will respond to the MIDI sustain data from the d 10 and the other keyboard). And if nothing works I guess I'll have to route it through MIDI-OX to make sure the data being sent to the Streichfett is as it should be.

I'm actually quite familiar with how MIDI works, having written several MIDI and DMX related programs and utilities so I like to think I know what I'm doing and this should be rather straightforward but so far this has me completely baffled.

Last edited by TOYZ; 8th November 2017 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I really wish there was a way to control the rate of the modulation and phaser effect - there isn't right?
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelxd View Post
I really wish there was a way to control the rate of the modulation and phaser effect - there isn't right?
The Depth knob controls both depth and rate (see page 16 of the manual) so you don't have individual control over these.

However, I get the impression that turning the Depth control further to the right gets you to a region where the position of the control directly affects the Phaser's phase so to speak, instead of setting a rate and depth.

If that is true you could use an external MIDI LFO to manually control the phaser's depth and rate indepdently insofar as this direct control region allows it (in terms of depth/phase).

For the Animate effect you could also control depth and rate independently through MIDI by directly setting the Registration value and turning the Animate Depth itself to zero.
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ View Post
At the moment this has changed to it never sustaining notes. I know it's receiving MIDI message from the Pedal connected to my D-10 because the currently selected Memory button flashes when I press or release the sustain pedal without fail. Afaik it's not even possible to change the CC# that the D-10 sends when you press the sustain pedal, its MIDI menu is pretty limited.
Mystery solved. With MIDI-OX in the loop I found that my D-10 is sending a MIDI CC 7Bh 'All notes off' messages when you release the last key (ie. all keys released). Apparently there is some room for interpretation in the MIDI spec on how to handle this.

I found one reference to how apparently the D-10 seems to think it should work:

MIDI CC List

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list
MIDI CC
123 | All Notes Off | Mutes all sounding notes. Release time will still be maintained, and notes held by sustain will not turn off until sustain pedal is depressed.
I do wonder about the source of that comment because it doesn't say anything about this in the MIDI spec:

https://www.midi.org/specifications/...s-data-bytes-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2
123 | 01111011 | 7B | [Channel Mode Message] | All Notes Off | 0
I wonder if Waldorf are in fact misinterpreting this message or if the accepted interpretation has changed since the D-10 was released back in the Middle Ages.

Anyway, my Fantom X-7 doesn't send any All Notes Off message in this manner so I'll just use that. I just happened to have the D-10 lying around and it was easiest to grab but I don't even use it normally.
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm pretty sure I can hear some internal clipping going on in the Streichfett with some patches. I guess they haven't completely solved that. Can anyone else confirm this? I could record the audio into my PC to look for it visually but I'm not currently setup to do that and I'm not sure how easy it would be to spot because it's a pretty massive and bright sounding patch.

I wonder if there's any point in sending them a patch that is causing the clipping, I imagine it should be fairly easy for them to run the code in a debugger or something like that and find out what is causing the clipping.
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ View Post
I'm pretty sure I can hear some internal clipping going on in the Streichfett with some patches. I guess they haven't completely solved that. Can anyone else confirm this? I could record the audio into my PC to look for it visually but I'm not currently setup to do that and I'm not sure how easy it would be to spot because it's a pretty massive and bright sounding patch.

I wonder if there's any point in sending them a patch that is causing the clipping, I imagine it should be fairly easy for them to run the code in a debugger or something like that and find out what is causing the clipping.
effects on or off? In the solo or ensemble section?

I can certainly drive it into some slight clipping/distortion with enough of everything applied, but when I dial back on levels and effects amounts, I have a clean signal.

(TBH - most of the time I'm using it as 2 mono outputs with only the Ensemble effect and the rest I apply with external effects units).
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
effects on or off? In the solo or ensemble section?
Strings section. In fact I think it's the Ensemble (Chorus only) effect; if I disable that I'm not hearing it clip anymore.

EDIT: I just realized that if the Chorus effect is not the last one in the fx chain the above doesn't mean that the clipping is occurring in the Chorus effect itself, it could be anything downstream. I assume reverb comes last but I'm not really sure of the order of the other fx.

EDIT2: After thinking about it for a few seconds longer, I guess the order that makes most sense is this:
  1. Animate (actually an OSC modulator rather than an effect)
  2. Ensemble String/Chorus
  3. Phaser
  4. Reverb
Old 24th December 2017
plz
Here for the gear

Have also just discovered v1.14 firmware upgrade. Nice touch from Waldorf with audio feedback for the master tune setting (press all 4 buttons and turn Depth) Season's greetings to all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search