The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th February 2016
DGL
Gear Addict
whats inside the streichfett?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umXnCuVBwf0

answer: hardly anything
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Addict

I've been giving this one a second look, reading reviews wherever I can find them. Audiofanzine provides numerous samples, and solves a riddle that stumped even Gordon Reid: the solo voice Pluto refers not to "Mickey's best friend but rather the emulation of the Planet sound on the Hohner String Performer." More here: Waldorf Streichfett Review : Fat Strings - Audiofanzine
Old 13th March 2016
I just ordered one off Amazon. I played with one in a local shop - did some research, and when I came back to buy it was gone ...

I love the sound of vintage stringers, and it has taken me some time to realise what I had been listening to. What has sold me on this unit is the divide-down technology which I find to be very musical - unlike equal temperment romplers. This is similar to Hammond Tonewheel organs - in that you can play clusters of notes including octaves without any phase issues that you would get with samplers or synths.

I'm looking forward to processing it with external hardware to get my own unique sounds, but right out of the box it is a very musical device.
Old 26th March 2016
Here for the gear
New song with our Streichfett !
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Showing my Waldorf Streichfett and Moog Sub37 some love...

Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

I don't always need cheesy strings but when I do, I prefer Streichfett
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Nut

Greetings old thread. Anyone still paying attention to this one? I have a question for owners of both Streichfetts and actual String Synths.

I currently own an SK-20, which, while not a lauded stringer, sounds plenty good to me.

Naturally though, I want more string synths, but they can be pretty tricky to come by at a good price, particularly in good condition. Enter the Streichfett, and not the least of which, MIDI.

Is it worth adding the Streichfett to my arsenal, or do I have something wholey more desirable in my 20, rendering the Fett a bit redundant? I know people are saying it won't be replacing their Crumar's and Solina's, but a Crumar or Solina the SK is not.

Additionally, I have a line on two different RS-09s (again, another somewhat shunned stringer) in great condition for cheaper (but not much) than I could purchase even a used Streichfett.

Should I go for The Roland, take the midi and verstatility hit in lieu of analog+awesome Roland outboard chorus (which I could also run my 20 through!) or skip this second-string stringer and go for some spreadable fat?

PS: to slutz suggesting I get both: I'd love to, and if you think it's worth it, I probably will down the line, but the RS is time sensitive and I can get a Streichfett whenever.

Thanks gang.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

The Streichfett makes more sense to me. It sounds great and it's portable. I know I wouldn't want to take a Crumar or Solina on the road with me.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
The Streichfett makes more sense to me. It sounds great and it's portable. I know I wouldn't want to take a Crumar or Solina on the road with me.
I know that I would not compare the sound with my Logan Stringmelody, to silly
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Nut

While gigging's not of immediate importance to me, I agree its an easier piece of HW to deal with all around - maintenance, weight, space etc.

However, an RS-09's no Solina. It's pretty portable itself.... comparatively speaking.

Plus, as pppch has pointed out, I doubt it sounds as good as a Logan.

But what about an RS-09? If someone was offering me a Logan String Melody for the price of a used Steichfett, I'd be telling you all about how much I love my new Logan String Melody.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngenor View Post
While gigging's not of immediate importance to me, I agree its an easier piece of HW to deal with all around - maintenance, weight, space etc.

However, an RS-09's no Solina. It's pretty portable itself.... comparatively speaking.

Plus, as pppch has pointed out, I doubt it sounds as good as a Logan.

But what about an RS-09? If someone was offering me a Logan String Melody for the price of a used Steichfett, I'd be telling you all about how much I love my new Logan String Melody.
Will not get angry I've paid for my Logan 10 bucks The sound is however invaluable
Pure Krautrock.
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Nut

I think if someone offered me a Logan for 10 bucks, I'd give em a 50 and buy em a beer.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

I would have had it for free, but there was still a dynacord cl22 analog leslie simulation to the appearance, so I gave 20 and no Beer

Weird story .. was advertised as a Hohner, knew only after the purchase what it really is.
I do not write better than I got my jupiter 8 ...lol

Someone knows the streichfett translating spread fat means.. Every morning on the bread

Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Sound is subjective but the 20 sounds wonderful to me. I think the Waldorf sounds too digital but layered with something like the 20 would be spine-tinglingly beautiful.

But I'd go RS-09 first. There is no shortage of Streichfetts, so when you're ready for it, it'll be ready for you. Just me 4 half-cents.
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
But I'd go RS-09 first. There is no shortage of Streichfetts, so when you're ready for it, it'll be ready for you.
I like where your head's at Robotunes.

However there's no shortage of RS-09's either and I've heard a lot of people bag on that synth hard.

Some don't though, and I like the way it sounds. Similar, but definitely different and complimentary to the SK.

Guess I just figured if I'm throwing the same amount of money around, where is that money better put? In this digital-sounding midi box with some versatility, or in a 35 year old analog a lot of people don't seem to like much?

I agree though, I Love the way the 20 sounds too, but I would like to add to that, as it isn't a Multiman, or a Lambda or a 505. Whether that's with a Waldorf or a Roland, I'm not sure.

Additionally, one of the RS-09's I can get is the newer multi-colored version that looks like a Saturn and the other is the older SH-09 looking guy. Anyone with experience know which is more reliable/better? I can get em from the same price basically.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Firmware V 1.13

Anybody tried this 1.13 firmware yet? Not sure when they released this version or if it addresses the internal digital clipping or not.
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Firmware V 1.13

Anybody tried this 1.13 firmware yet? Not sure when they released this version or if it addresses the internal digital clipping or not.
I just discovered this update last night. Seems to have come out in May. Downloaded all the files, but haven't installed yet (not even sure what version I'm on now). Maybe the clipping was fixed back in 1.11? Release notes in the zip indicate:

1.10 - fixed issue relating to preset storing and MIDI transmission

1.11 - fixed internal clipping and improved sound quality
- factory presets recoverable by preset buttons 1+2+3 on startup
- registration EQ optimisation

1.12 - added panning MIDI controller CC 10
- added main volume MIDI controller CC 7
- fixed mono compatibility
- disabled echo of received MIDI controllers

1.13 - no more garbage sent via serial MIDI
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
I just discovered this update last night. Seems to have come out in May. Downloaded all the files, but haven't installed yet (not even sure what version I'm on now). Maybe the clipping was fixed back in 1.11? Release notes in the zip indicate:

Didn't really seem to fix the clipping on mine .. if indeed clipping is what I'm hearing. The synth section sounds pretty good for what it is, and the string section is OK as long as I don't turn on the ensemble chorus effects, but turn them on and it just sounds like a mess .. worse than any string machine I've ever owned in 40 years starting with my Elka Rhapsody in 1978. When I sent the first one back to the US rep they emailed about a week latter and said they could find nothing wrong. I really need to get a track of it on Soundcloud to make sure I'm not going nuts lol.
Old 20th July 2017
Yes - I don't like the clipping either. It's a shame because there did a rather good job on the ensemble, and it's a major part of a stringer's sound.

I'm really looking for a triple chorus that will sound as good as a Logan or Solina ... considering these were 1970's BBD chorus units (well preceeding the Roland things in the 80's) it's a surprise to me that nobody can really nail it.

The 80's Dyno-My-Piano tri-chorus effects seem much more bland ... I think they all share the same LFO, just change the phase. The Logans etc seem to have different rates which makes them sound amazing. Maybe three analog chorus pedals could achieve this?
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Yes - I don't like the clipping either. It's a shame because there did a rather good job on the ensemble, and it's a major part of a stringer's sound.

I'm really looking for a triple chorus that will sound as good as a Logan or Solina ... considering these were 1970's BBD chorus units (well preceeding the Roland things in the 80's) it's a surprise to me that nobody can really nail it.

The 80's Dyno-My-Piano tri-chorus effects seem much more bland ... I think they all share the same LFO, just change the phase. The Logans etc seem to have different rates which makes them sound amazing. Maybe three analog chorus pedals could achieve this?
https://www.fulltone.com/products/80s-rack-chorus

Baloran SAS
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

so- nothing under $800 then - I would guess there would be a market for this product in a more affordable price range. Apparently not.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
so- nothing under $800 then - I would guess there would be a market for this product in a more affordable price range. Apparently not.
I think there's definitely a market for it that just hasn't come to light for whatever reason.

I wonder how many decades it's going to take that guy from the link to sell 3,200 units at that price.
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
Some digital Pedals.. analog i only know this expensive Rack Solutions
Modular Diy from Jürgen maybe

JH. Triple Chorus

haible triple chorus, pcb+bkt+panel, MOTM 2U (BNDJHTRPCMOTM2U) by synthcube.com
Old 21st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post

I can't remember what version I had, but upgraded last night anyway. Didn't seem to do much for it, so I guess the clipping was 'fixed' although it still has an unpleasantness going on in the 2-3k region. There's just something nasty going on for sure.

Might just sell it and use my VP-03 for strings instead, despite the VP being a lot more limited. I can curb the digital feel of that quite easily.

Such a shame.
Old 21st July 2017
The problem with those 80's style triple chorus units (which are far too bloody expensive) is that they don't have the magic of those 70's stringers like the Solina. The 80's tri-chorus seems to have a single sinewave LFO that drives 3 delay lines that are neatly spaced out of phase at 120 degree intervals. They may allow you to adjust the depth for each phase - but basically, they are rather boring. Better than a single voice or dual voice - yes. But not as exciting as a cheesy 70's stringer.

As I understand it - from a description by a Solina owner - the 3 BBD delay lines had independ LFOs, and they could be tuned with a trim pot. They were set to avoid prime number ratios for maximum chaos - but an experienced listener could apparantly detect a pattern. I've seen a Sound-On-Sound article that seemed a little contradictory but suggested that the Solina LFOs may have used two - one LFO to modulate another LFO. Also suggested there was a big use of phase shifters.

I don't know - but it seems that 1970's ensemble effects (and the various patents relating to them) were Waaay more complex and interesting than the boring 1980's units. Seems shocking to me now that Roland gets such credit for making such a simple chorus, when they were just catching up with what was being done earlier. But Roland also made some extremely complicated chorus designs and some interesting stringers and Dimension and themselves. Probably patents fouled everything up as per usual.

I'm wondering about buying 3 vibrato pedals just to cobble together a decent ensemble. The digital versions i've seen have not impressed me much ...

Here is an example of that gorgeous ARP Solina sound i'm chasing ...

I actually think the Streichfett divide down engine is very close ... I just want to avoid the clipping, which I think can be done by avoiding the built in FX - which is a shame since they are rather good.

I wish Waldorf would just bring the gain down 6dB - that would probably fix it.

There are so many people making BBD chorus and vibrato pedals ... even TC have the Tailspin. So these guys could esily make a good 3 BBD chorus if they wanted to. Compared with with a Boss the Tailspin much noisier though .. so i'm back to looking at digital since I don't want to buy 3 VB2W pedals for the sake of an experiment ...

Really wish some pedal guru would make a *decent* Solina enemble effect ... it could be great on other sources too.
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Thanks for this!!! This is the best description of the Solina ensemble i've come across. It gives me a clear direction to experiment with.

I'm thinking a couple of analog vibrato pedals and a couple of digital tri-chorus pedals might possibly give me the complex sound i'm looking for ...
Old 21st July 2017
BTW ... I still think the Streichfett is awesome ... this video shows how well it compares with an excellent vintage stringer - the Logan String Melody

So if I can cure the digitititus with some external FX I will be very pleased to use this for serious recording ...
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Guru
Not to be jerk but... I never liked the Logan String Melody... I love the name... but it just sounds like an organ to me.
I'm a bit of a string snob... only really liked the Crumar Orchestrator and Roland RS-505.

I'm curious of the VP-03 now.. but wonder if a JV-1080 w/vintage card still sounds better.
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Not to be jerk but... I never liked the Logan String Melody... I love the name... but it just sounds like an organ to me.
I'm a bit of a string snob... only really liked the Crumar Orchestrator and Roland RS-505.

I'm curious of the VP-03 now.. but wonder if a JV-1080 w/vintage card still sounds better.
Fair enough. The Solina does it for me ... largely because of these two songs ...

Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
I love this little plastic fantastic stringsynth. It exudes this 1970s cats in outerspace playing keyboards vibe
The device is a softsynth in hardware but I have not been able to find a softsynth that sounds like this device. Does someone have any good reocmmendations of an equivalent softsynth?

I have concerns about how long the box will last before it falls apart, feels cheap but sounds so delicious. There is something about how the internal reverb sounds that I really like. Its very real time morphable/tweakable with no weird glitchiness. I am surprised because the internal CPU driving the whole thing looks about as powerful as a calculator processor.

I do have concerns about how long the thing will survive, I bought a spare just in case. I suspect it will be worth more in the future when it gets discontinued since it sounds so unique and great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search