The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th April 2015
  #631
I think there will be more to come in this format...

I noticed the case has some "nudges" in the bottom wich could allow you to lock several units together.
Though the "plastic thingy's" you'll need to do that are not in the box... ?
Old 8th April 2015
  #632
Lives for gear
 
Hazmatic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
I have the three - Rocket, Pulse 2 & Streichfett - and I'd be hard pressed to tell you which is best: they each have their own character and are all capable of great sounds.



All sounds from the Pulse 2, Streichfett & Rocket.
Sequencer: Korg EMX
Very nice demo. The Rocket sounds pretty cool, too.
Old 8th April 2015
  #633
Lives for gear
 

re

yea I think its a pretty good box. To make it work fully for me, I needed to hit the output with a real low pass and a delay pedal and it all comes to life (pretty much true of my real string synths, too). to my ears the raw signal is a mix of kind of analogy but still a little too much digital for me, so i have to warm it up a bit. otherwise it is fun and easy to get usable sounds out of.
Old 23rd May 2015
  #634
Lives for gear
In the SoS interview, he talks about (and measures) the output of the Streichfett, in particular:

What’s more, the amplitude of the notes at higher pitches can be very uneven. I was using a vaguely choral waveform somewhere near the one o’clock position of the Registration knob, and I noticed that the output of an upper ‘E’ was many, many times louder than that of adjacent notes. The difference was so marked that I measured it. First, I played an A: its output was 138mV. I then played the C three semitones above it, and the output was 285mV. I then played the E above that, and the output was 1.05V. Consequently, the upper note of the triad dominated the A/C/E chord, which is quite unlike the response of a traditional string synth. This appears to be a consequence of the formant shaping for the vocal waves and, if so, is understandable, but you should nonetheless be aware of it.

Anyone notice this in practice? Deal-breaker or has it been fixed?
Old 24th May 2015
  #635
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
In the SoS interview, he talks about (and measures) the output of the Streichfett, in particular:

What’s more, the amplitude of the notes at higher pitches can be very uneven. I was using a vaguely choral waveform somewhere near the one o’clock position of the Registration knob, and I noticed that the output of an upper ‘E’ was many, many times louder than that of adjacent notes. The difference was so marked that I measured it. First, I played an A: its output was 138mV. I then played the C three semitones above it, and the output was 285mV. I then played the E above that, and the output was 1.05V. Consequently, the upper note of the triad dominated the A/C/E chord, which is quite unlike the response of a traditional string synth. This appears to be a consequence of the formant shaping for the vocal waves and, if so, is understandable, but you should nonetheless be aware of it.

Anyone notice this in practice? Deal-breaker or has it been fixed?
several things have been fixed in the latest firmware, but personally I have never noticed or been bothered with the above described issue.
Old 24th May 2015
  #636
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
several things have been fixed in the latest firmware, but personally I have never noticed or been bothered with the above described issue.
Excellent
Old 17th September 2015
  #637
Gear Maniac
 
-groovatious-'s Avatar
So things have gone quiet on this thread - I just stumbled across the Streichfett audio demos and I'm in love!!! Ordered one immediately.

Also, not sure who of you are still using/loving yours, but I did see the latest firmware update (V 1.11) fixes the audio clipping issues and also has some improved EQing and compression apparently.

Downloads for Streichfett
Old 17th September 2015
  #638
Lives for gear
 
abruzzi's Avatar
 

Mine just showed up today (I missed my old Omni 2). It is great fun. I'm not sure how it will fit into any of my music, but I can dial up sounds on it and just improvise for hours. String machines are strangely comforting for me. I haven't looked at versions or anything, but everything sounds fine.
Old 22nd October 2015
  #639
I got one of these about 2 weeks ago and really enjoying what it can do. I can get amazing sounds of this thing. But I may have a defective unit. If I have it set to the left side sounds and set it with a very long decay and play all 120 notes on the keyboard sometimes I can get it to start crackling. Sometimes it takes a minute or 2 to get the problem to start hitting at many keys as possible. I thought at first with was overload distortion but it seems not the case. Because the distortion can continue once it gets going when playing little 4 note chords. Once it starts distorting the only way to get rid of it it to change patches. If others could try this I would be interested if the problem can be replicated.

Last edited by AudioSoundzz; 22nd October 2015 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd October 2015
  #640
Here for the gear
 

Hello... New here. I just purchased my Streichfett and I'm having troubles figuring out how to turn the omni mode off. Anybody here who could help?
Old 23rd October 2015
  #641
Gear Maniac
 
rrlc's Avatar
 

"Screechfest" is how I always see the name of this synth. I want one.
Old 17th December 2015
  #642
So by now the spreadable fat machine has made its way in and out of many setups I'm sure. Demos have me drooling for this again lately, early bugs scared me off. I'm eyeing one now for a portable rig I'm building. I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind indulging me-

Demos seem to gloss over names of the sounds on the left side as "representations" rather than indicators of actual timbres. I'm wondering if the "piano" section comes close to any sort of "normal" piano sound or perhaps a sort of Rhodes-ish tone? Not really looking for authenticity or anything, just wondering what the piano part sounds like and if it is remotely usable.

How has the build quality held up? Anything broken just from regular use? I noticed the unsecured output jacks on the back, those always give me pause after the green Big Muff debacle back in the 90's.

If you've had it a while and put it through its paces, do you still think its cool? Are there any major bugs left in the machine with the latest firmware? Has it been abandoned (yet)?

Thanks.
Old 17th December 2015
  #643
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
So by now the spreadable fat machine has made its way in and out of many setups I'm sure. Demos have me drooling for this again lately, early bugs scared me off. I'm eyeing one now for a portable rig I'm building. I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind indulging me-

Demos seem to gloss over names of the sounds on the left side as "representations" rather than indicators of actual timbres. I'm wondering if the "piano" section comes close to any sort of "normal" piano sound or perhaps a sort of Rhodes-ish tone? Not really looking for authenticity or anything, just wondering what the piano part sounds like and if it is remotely usable.

How has the build quality held up? Anything broken just from regular use? I noticed the unsecured output jacks on the back, those always give me pause after the green Big Muff debacle back in the 90's.

If you've had it a while and put it through its paces, do you still think its cool? Are there any major bugs left in the machine with the latest firmware? Has it been abandoned (yet)?

Thanks.
The sounds replicate mainly the sound that were on those vintage string machines like the logan. They aren't supposed to be real piano as such. The Streichfett is an interesting beast, and I enjoy using it in recordings. If you add an analog filter to it, you can get much more depth.

Check out this track I did recently which shows the Streichfett through a filter, and it also shows a short gate sequence that is the lead sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/ranzee/genesis

I think the build quality is fine, not a brick though. It will stand up to live use.

Last edited by ranzee; 18th December 2015 at 08:11 AM..
Old 17th December 2015
  #644
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
I actually forgot it had a piano setting till you mentioned it.
Can't really remember getting much of an authentic piano sound in my time with it.
The solo section is pretty good though, and is much more "synthy" sounding than I expected.
Old 17th December 2015
  #645
Hm, I don't regularly play 120-note chords, at least not in live situations where the changing of presets and back would be a problem, so I don't know about your crackling problem. I have never encountered anything annoying while playing the Streichfett.

As the second-hand prices for the Streichfett are nearly in the Volca range, I'd strongly suggest anyone interested in it to grab one second-hand and sell it again if you're not satisfied.
I usually layer it with a simple analog pad in order to provide the slightly glittery sound of the Streichfett with a solid base, but that's a matter of taste.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 17th December 2015
  #646
Almost a year since I got one & have enjoyed ever minute. Running it through an EHX Small Stone & Boss DM-3 Delay, never bothered to upgrade the firmware. If you love this type of sound, for the price & footprint it can't be beat.
Old 18th December 2015
  #647
Lives for gear
 
ranzee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
Almost a year since I got one & have enjoyed ever minute. Running it through an EHX Small Stone & Boss DM-3 Delay, never bothered to upgrade the firmware. If you love this type of sound, for the price & footprint it can't be beat.
Upgrading the firmware will sort out some bad MIDI issues. Definitely worth doing it - and it is really simple to do.
Old 19th December 2015
  #648
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
ive been trying to pick up a cheap 2nd hand one - im in the uk
Old 19th December 2015
  #649
Lives for gear
 
Electric Sugar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbom View Post
ive been trying to pick up a cheap 2nd hand one - im in the uk
I'm selling one and I'm in the UK. It's boxed, fully working, and about 8 months old.

Message me if you're interested.
Old 21st December 2015
  #650
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 

The demos of this thing seem to sound really good.
The reverb sounds so much better than the one in the Blofeld as far as I can remember...
Old 2nd January 2016
  #651
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
so i bought the module off electric sugar , it does sound really nice..managed to get nice swirling ambient strings similar to those from global communications tracks (which is what ive been looking for).

hit black keys - instant swirly ambient ..
Old 2nd January 2016
  #652
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiceres View Post
The demos of this thing seem to sound really good.
The reverb sounds so much better than the one in the Blofeld as far as I can remember...
No question. The reverb on the Streichfett is outstanding. It should be manufactured separately and/or offered in a Blofeld update with more than just wet/dry controls. The Blofeld reverb is really really bad, IMO.
Old 2nd January 2016
  #653
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

The cheapest I've seen them for lately is $512 cad on eBay. Nothing local at all.
Crazy expensive.
Old 2nd January 2016
  #654
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
The cheapest I've seen them for lately is $512 cad on eBay. Nothing local at all.
Crazy expensive.
Moog Audio has them for $434 CDN. I got mine from L&M for $449, but I don't see them on their site anymore.
Old 2nd January 2016
  #655
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
The cheapest I've seen them for lately is $512 cad on eBay. Nothing local at all.
Crazy expensive.
They selling for 400 CDN (269 Euro) here in Istanbul & we usually have to deal with a huge mark up on gear.

Streichfett - Waldorf

PS: Thanx for the Soundcloud comments.
Old 10th January 2016
  #656
plz
Here for the gear
 
plz's Avatar
Almost 1 year to the day since Mike's post (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10703825-post615.html) re. getting one for Christmas... my turn now
Not as polished as Mike's but how can you not like this little hands-on gizmo...

See description on youtube video for more details.
Old 11th January 2016
  #657
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Really beautiful demo.
Old 11th January 2016
  #658
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plz View Post
my turn now
I had been thinking seriously about one of these - your demo has made me decide to pull the trigger.

Thanks - that was lovely!
Old 11th January 2016
  #659
plz
Here for the gear
 
plz's Avatar
Thanks guys. Btw - although this was newly purchased, the firmware was still out-of-date so be prepared to update. It's a bit fiddly finding the current version as you need to poke a sysex query message at it and read the reply (it's all in the manual). Might be easier just to update regardless.
Have fun.
Phil.
Old 11th January 2016
  #660
Lives for gear
 
GeminIAm's Avatar
That demo sounds great. I love string machines and this seems a brilliant way of getting your hands on that sound. Wouldn't mind picking one up at some point.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump