The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
I guess there's no way to tell what the level of each effect is on as you switch between them since they all share the same knob?
No, only by listening.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For you. Velocity and aftertouch response are must haves for me so it looks like the Streichfett is not for me.
I principally play organ; organ does not have velocity nor does it have aftertouch. So us organists get around that by using a volume pedal.

The workaround with the Streichfett, therefore, is to use a volume pedal, either inline, or with something interpreting data (like an iPad app).
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
But the machines it's inspired by didn't have velocity & aftertouch, so...not sure why that would be a deal breaker, though velocity would be nice for some of the bass & lead monosynth sounds. I've ordered one, the price is right and it's a fresh sounding instrument, not more analog mono techno-tweaker boringness.
Yeah, well sure, but they've already put on tons of features that the machines that inspired it didn't have.
Old 15th November 2014
Here for the gear

I have mine!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i love it!!!!!! I have compared with a farfisa syntorchestra and a solina string ensemble and of course there are diferences, but i love the streichfett, its very versatile and has a warm nice sound that fits perfect in my mixes!!!!!! I dont like the phaser it has but the reverb is ok and its very cheap!!!!!!! Great value for the money!!!!!!
Old 15th November 2014
Gear Addict

I love mine. Great box.
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

My next synth purchase.
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Nut
Nick posted up his look at Streichfett.

Anyone with a Korg Lambda and a Streichfett care to give any thoughts? I've been wanting a Lambda for ages, but they keep slipping away.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

I've had a Lambda, and heard a fair bit of the Streichfett although I don't have one. It looks to me a nice and distinctive instrument - it seems to have two thirds of what made the distinctive string machine sound - the divide-down architecture and the ensemble effect. Although most string synths also had an analog oscillator before the divide-down, as I understand it some of the last models of the Solina made in the early 80s actually had a digital divide-down setup too - so in that sense you could say it's a genuine early 80s recreation. The Lambda to me tends more towards "melancholy and moody", whereas the Streichfett sounds more 'other-worldly'. I recommended it the other day on a thread where someone was asking for an instrument that sounded haunting.
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
The Lambda to me tends more towards "melancholy and moody", whereas the Streichfett sounds more 'other-worldly'
Exactly this!
You can tell the Streichfett was heavily inspired by the Lambda in terms of architecture, but the sound is completely different (I have both).

Cheers,
Bert
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

Ok slutz, herez the promised
Don Solaris Streichfett Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmr7dlbHm4

For some reason audio is better when you select 720p resolution. So please do.
just finished watching this...awesome work..
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
just finished watching this...awesome work..
It was a rather fun demo. And, the dude has got some swingin' tees.
Old 28th November 2014
Here for the gear
Anyone having issues with their Streichfett? After trying to (unsuccessfully) reload the factory sound bank onto my Streichfett, the tremolo is now permanently on. It will not turn off regardless of settings. Tried reinstalling the latest firmware, and it didn't help. Looks like the 'fett is going back from whence it came.
Old 1st December 2014
Here for the gear

Just going to chip in on the distortion/clipping thread from earlier: I heard it too and did some digging and I've noticed that some of the time (often in the phaser modes, but often without) the waveform's peak-to-peak readings are fine, but the mid-point is shifting a long way negative. An example here has it shifting down about 22% from the zero line, which obviously means the negative peaks are going to be hitting their max (well, min) at a lot lower amplitude than they ought.

I heard significantly worse distortion before upgrading to 1.10 (from what, I don't know) but my initial impression was that the clipping was better, but the overall volume was lower. I wonder if they just scaled the output to e.g. 75% and didn't actually find the underlying problem?

And just to confirm, this is clipping in the digital domain. If I pull the volume right down it's still there.

I can't post images yet, but e.g.:

http://blog.benjamesbell.com/wp-uplo...-3-150x150.jpg
http://blog.benjamesbell.com/wp-uplo...p1-150x150.jpg
http://blog.benjamesbell.com/wp-uplo...-2-150x150.jpg

bjb
Old 1st December 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakestree View Post
It was a rather fun demo. And, the dude has got some swingin' tees.
I heard rumors he stole them from a gypsy.

But it was just a rumor.

Anyway i think his demo is lame because there's no Lucky Man preset.
Old 10th December 2014
Here for the gear

i find it very confusing to deal with the memory: how do i get back to the setting i have dialed in? do i really have to touch every single knob? unplugging doesn’t seem to help. what a pain. the manual doesn’t say much. it seems there’s no way to just turn the memory off and hear what you see.

IMO a hardware box that has a preset system HAS TO HAVE ENCODERS, otherwise it’s a bit pointless.
apart from that i love this box.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Addict

I recently purchased the Streichfett and the clipping is quite annoying. Firmware 1.10.
As I see it, it occurs not necessarily with the Phaser, but with the String Section Registration in the left/right "Viola"-Areas and when playing more than 2-3 Notes.

If I turn the Balance knob to the right to reduce Strings Volume the clipping stops at about 4 o'clock - even if I adjust the Main Volume to compensate! Disable Solo section to test.

However with standard "Balance" about 1/2 of the String registrations are unplayable in the Viola/"richer String" area, when holding long chords. :(

They need some sort of limiter in the internal software Mixer..
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcolmx View Post
Anyone having issues with their Streichfett? After trying to (unsuccessfully) reload the factory sound bank onto my Streichfett, the tremolo is now permanently on. It will not turn off regardless of settings. Tried reinstalling the latest firmware, and it didn't help. Looks like the 'fett is going back from whence it came.
This and other issues are making me hold off until the bugs are gone....
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
I recently purchased the Streichfett and the clipping is quite annoying. Firmware 1.10.
As I see it, it occurs not necessarily with the Phaser, but with the String Section Registration in the left/right "Viola"-Areas and when playing more than 2-3 Notes.

If I turn the Balance knob to the right to reduce Strings Volume the clipping stops at about 4 o'clock - even if I adjust the Main Volume to compensate! Disable Solo section to test.

However with standard "Balance" about 1/2 of the String registrations are unplayable in the Viola/"richer String" area, when holding long chords. :(

They need some sort of limiter in the internal software Mixer..
Yeah there's definitely something going on. It is pretty subtle tho.

At the moment, I'm not using the inbuilt phaser - and using a Smallstone instead.
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Yeah there's definitely something going on. It is pretty subtle tho.

At the moment, I'm not using the inbuilt phaser - and using a Smallstone instead.
Same here.
Love the Smallstone!
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

https://soundcloud.com/ranzee/oxygene-part-1-cover

Just seeing how the Streichfett renders in the mix with a familiar tune - leaving this here for those who want to hear it (before they buy), comment if you like

(Note: for the perfectionists - it is not a complete perfect cover - I haven't got months to spare )
Old 19th December 2014
That sounds even older than the original - in a good way!
Proof (for me at least) that the Streichfett doesn't mimic the instruments, but the atmosphere of that era.

What were the other instruments you used?

Cheers,
Bert
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Roland System-1 (SH-2 Plugout) for Bass, Arturia MiniBrute for the blips and blops, Korg M3 for the sequenced strings (wish the Streichfett had some more tools like envelopes etc). Oh and I almost forgot - Novation Bass Station II for that metallic/brass lead sound (so similar to an Arp it isn't funny)

Jarre used a Memory Boy, and I just don't like how it distorts the acoustics - so I used a Ping Pong delay (digital) - which sounds very similar.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just seeing how the Streichfett renders in the mix with a familiar tune - leaving this here for those who want to hear it (before they buy), comment if you like

(Note: for the perfectionists - it is not a complete perfect cover - I haven't got months to spare )
This is fantastic.
Every single sound is a winner. I'm damn impressed with that Bass Station brass too.
What synth does the higher theremin type sound?
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
This is fantastic.
Every single sound is a winner. I'm damn impressed with that Bass Station brass too.
What synth does the higher theremin type sound?
Thanks

The theremin sound is an Arturia Minibrute. Standard Triangle, with some LFO (very subtle) and adjust the pitch to suit the wave.
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Are the outputs of the Streichfett balanced or unbalanced?
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

unbalanced afaik - the manual doesn't state (fyi)
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post
Are the outputs of the Streichfett balanced or unbalanced?
Holger Steinbrink, the handbook author, didn't say a word about this topic. I am quite sure they are unbalanced.
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Does it do the Jarre Oxygene and Equinoxe stringsound?
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
Does it do the Jarre Oxygene and Equinoxe stringsound?
you're referring to the Eminent 310, it doesn't replicate exactly (you'll need something like GForce Software's vintage strings for that), instead it simulates the sounds of string instruments from that era, like the ARP solina etc.

Although you can get close, see my cover of oxygene part I that I posted a few posts ago.
Quote:

Old 28th December 2014
Here for the gear

Theres a good string arp in reactor that could do what you require
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search