The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend View Post
Does anyone know which string machine Nick Rhodes used on the first Duran Duran album? It sounds great on the song "Anyone Out There":

Duran Duran - Anyone Out There - YouTube

If Waldorf could nail that sound, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
He was known to have used a Crumar Performer on the early tunes, so my guess would be that synth.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

o come on!

a real analog string machine for $330 (2014 US dollars) is almost a giveaway product compared to similar machines from the '70s that in 2014 dollars would probably be around $4000 now. Granted ones like the Solina could do trumpet, accordion, and other cheesy sounds, but who wouldn't jump on this?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I'd like to see them make a product that would compete with RYTM/TR-8/Tempest. Like rackmountable Attack 2 with analog bass drum/snare, step sequencer, and the ability to load samples. $1,000 USD.
There's nothing wrong with that ambition, but that's an existing type of product. If this is as it appears, it would be the first modern dedicated paraphonic analog instrument, and probably very affordable, whereas there are already tens of monophonic analogs on the market, and competing drum units.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'd buy a string machine if it was less than $500
Old 6th March 2014
if this is indeed a "fat" "strings"... and has a real BBD-based ensemble circuit (which forms about 90% of string machines sound) , this will be VERY interesting. especially if the digital oscillators (i presume) will run at 96k to have cleaner silkier high end, the rest will be taken care of with the ensemble.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. But the Microwave, for instance, is an incredibly powerful professional instrument that is about as far from a "workstation" as you can get.
That I cannot argue with. But I would put the pulse2 and blofeld up as serious synths. Maybe not as many hands on/output features but still, a deep level of synthesis is capable. And they aren't plastic, though some people have problems with the blofelds encoders.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear
this thing might be polyphonic, if you look and the bottom you can see 4 square lights with looks like digits underneath, so perhaps they represent voices and this could have 4 note polyphony which would be awesome
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru
it should have full polyphony..
Old 6th March 2014
On the point of quality - like a month ago I accidentally hit my rocket ( well i was unpacking my backpack late night after jamming at my friends place - i wasn't sober i admit) it kinda slipped from my hand and hit the metal beamed shelf (from as far as 5cm fall distance i reckon not much) with the angle where the phones volume control is and guess what? The next day i turned it on through the phones output and the knob is not responding anymore. The phones out became glitchy and distorted) good thing i could take it to the warranty service and they wouldn't ask questions
So take note - as good as them small boxes are they are quite fragile it seems. Of course the other morale of the story is to never handle synths drunk

Still I have high respect for these waldorf boxes and i don't think we end up with a bunch of crape in the end they do what they are supposed to at really low price and i'll be damned they do it good!!!
Peace
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

We need more answers. You know what we need to do to that picture?
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
That I cannot argue with. But I would put the pulse2 and blofeld up as serious synths. Maybe not as many hands on/output features but still, a deep level of synthesis is capable. And they aren't plastic, though some people have problems with the blofelds encoders.
Oh yeah, definitely. The Pulse 2 is fantastic. But I would rather see a 4-voice "Poly Pulse" with more knobs than a simple string machine.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Me too actually. But, even though this is low hanging fruit, it hasn't been touched in a while.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looks interesting, but if it's four notes, that would seem like a big compromise....for a stringer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton View Post
Clones? Not in my stars wars mythology.

I remember an old Fett comic that had him escaping the Sarlacc after everyone had ridden off into the double sunset...I will say, the prequal nonsense does make it more understandable how he got taken out as easily as your average stormtrooper. Then again, Jedi hints at the horrors to come in the prequals. Jar Jar = all Ewoks summed into one character. But, I digress...
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

The four lights could also conceivably relate to presets or memory locations, editable via the front panel.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Not sure they'll have patch memory - neither Rocket nor 2-pole have it.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Extensively adjustable fixed presets, as on a lot of older paraphonic instruments, would be cheaper to implement, but it could also be something else.
Old 6th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
There's nothing wrong with that ambition, but that is an existing type of product. If this is as it appears, it would be the first modern dedicated paraphonic analog instrument, and probably very affordable, whereas there are already tens of monophonic analogs on the market, and competing drum units.
Pretty sure the Rocket, Volca Keys, and Pulse 2 already beat it to the punch in terms of "the first modern dedicated paraphonic analog instrument". All affordable too.

And as you pointed out, "tens of monophonic analogs on the market". Yet there aren't many modern analog/digital hybrid drum machines, and nothing like that in the ~$1,000 price point, as far as I know.

I bet Waldorf could pull it off, if they could manage their already stressed resources.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Neither the Pulse 2 or Rocket are dedicated paraphonic instruments in the 1970s vein, though - they're essentially well-featured monosynths with a paraphonic afterthought - and also none of the three have the common defining features of the type clusterchord mentioned either, such as the built-in BBD ensemble.

It's true that even with their limited resources Waldorf could go in all sorts of directions though. They're an interesting company in all sorts of respects, and what they choose to do tends to say interesting things about the industry, I think.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
Of course the other morale of the story is to never handle synths drunk
How could anyone make music when sober?

All great music has been composed/produced under the influence of some mind-altering substance...
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

any BBD ensemble would probably add another $100 or so to the price if the rest of the components were roughly in line with the Rocket. So at $430 that would still be less than $500 for an analog string synth with analog real BBD chorus/ensemble... and if it had Audio Input for that BBD FX, then WOW what a deal.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

buttery smooth fat strings! Im still waiting for that filter they announced, its not listed anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
How could anyone make music when sober?

All great music has been composed/produced under the influence of some mind-altering substance...
nope. years ago people thought I was a complete stoner because my music was so chilled/ambient. its not the drugs, its the musician

an artist shouldnt need drugs to alter their mind, an artists mind is already free to explore many avenues
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm View Post
nope. years ago people thought I was a complete stoner because my music was so chilled/ambient. its not the drugs, its the musician

an artist shouldnt need drugs to alter their mind, an artists mind is already free to explore many avenues
Does trepanning count? I couldn't do without trepanning...
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
if this is indeed a "fat" "strings"... and has a real BBD-based ensemble circuit (which forms about 90% of string machines sound) , this will be VERY interesting. especially if the digital oscillators (i presume) will run at 96k to have cleaner silkier high end, the rest will be taken care of with the ensemble.
I agree that a BBD-based ensemble circuit would be quite awesome, but no way is that 90% of a string machine sound. The Crumar Multiman doesn't have a built-in ensemble circuit, and the strings sound beautiful with or without added ensemble. Divide-down is a unique and quite cool sound... very 'analog' sounding in a way that you can't get with anything else.

Digital oscillators and a BBD ensemble... not so exiting (to me anyway).
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

Waldorf, just take my $
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not sure they'll have patch memory - neither Rocket nor 2-pole have it.
but you still can save and load patches with iOS Rocket Control right?
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Personally, I couldn't think of a more boring "one trick pony" than a paraphonic string machine with limited controls. The Rocket sounds absolutely divine, I will admit. Been kicking around the notion of buying one, even though it's a superfluous purchase.

I'd like to see them make a product that would compete with RYTM/TR-8/Tempest. Like rackmountable Attack 2 with analog bass drum/snare, step sequencer, and the ability to load samples. $1,000 USD.

Funny because I could't think of a more boring "all trick pony" than a do it all rompler workstation. Character and uniqueness are the most important attributes for me.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Looks interesting, but if it's four notes, that would seem like a big compromise....for a stringer.
Maybe it will be capable of 4 or 8 voice paraphony, like the Pulse 2.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot View Post
but you still can save and load patches with iOS Rocket Control right?
Yes, but not fully... things like filter type switch aren't automatable via MIDI CC so you still have to change some things manually...
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe it'll just be entirely polyphonic, being able to play every key at once. The pulse and rocket paraphonic modes seem to be limited intentionally so you can program chord stacks into it and more than 8 notes would be messy...unless you're a jazz genius.

If this is for mainly MIDI use I don't think that restriction is needed.

As for the price of BBD's, you can get BBD delay pedals for under £30, though they don't have a very long delay time. Such restrictions don't matter with chorus/ensemble, which is a very fast, pitch modulated BBD delay, you need less BBD chips as they don't have to "hold, then pass on" the signal for as long as you'd need to produce an audible echo, and therefore it should be pretty cheap, especially if the modulation is done in software

Really, the components of a string synth are primitive, some only have one VCA! So I'm not surprised that they can be crammed into a cheap, small box, especially with SMT
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about this trend, of which Korg was the progenitor, of producing these cheapo, single-purpose devices. It just seems to feed into our disposable, no-impulse-control culture where you end up with a bunch of plastic crap cluttering up your studio.

Sure, Waldorf products are more professional than the Korg Monotron or Volca series, for instance. And a dedicated string machine from Waldorf sounds like a cool product. But I don't think Waldorf would be developing these sorts of boxes if Korg had not been so successful selling these little gizmos. I suppose these "toys" help democratize music making. And that's not a bad thing. But I would just like to see Waldorf making more great synthesizers like the Microwave that have endured the test of time. Going after the low end of the market seems like a waste of their tremendous skills.
It isn't all that different than buying an effects pedal. Anywhere from $200-350 for a specific sound doesn't seem outrageous to me. I've never laid a finger on a Microwave and would like to see more top end gear (even if I can't afford it), but a paraphonic string machine is something I'd likely buy at the right price. With the worldwide economy in the toilet, companies would be foolish to release much high end gear right now, so if the market moves towards specialization and affordability without major sacrifices on sound or functionality, I'm all in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search