The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd September 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
We'll have to thank that to Atari ST. Because sequencing the same (and some other) synth(s) directly via USB from a PC with 16th notes at higher BPMs is essentially a joke. At least when compared to the ST method. Night & day difference in timing/precision.
I believe that. I don't do modern computer midi for the same reason.
Old 23rd September 2014
Quote:

Ok slutz, herez the promised
Don Solaris Streichfett Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmr7dlbHm4

For some reason audio is better when you select 720p resolution. So please do.
Great great demo!!!

Did you use external effects? On the last track it sounds like a different phaser?
Old 23rd September 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Yes, last track is not Streichfett phaser, but PH3.

I listed all the gear in the video.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok slutz, herez the promised
Don Solaris Streichfett Demo
Hey, really cool! Wonderful. Great. Big fun!
You gave me a reason to live as a slutz! :D

Oh, and these German guys should give you something like a "Waldorf flatrate" in exchange...
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Addict

Three more demos from Audio Central Magazine:

Old 26th September 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
Oh, and these German guys should give you something like a "Waldorf flatrate" in exchange...
Haha! They already did. I got this Streichfett for free.

BTW there are some Easter eggs in the video. David Fincher style (again). I wonder if anyone noticed it by now. For those interested, how the video was made and my own opinions on the unit, feel free to check it out:

Waldorf Streichfett Demo (making of) | donsolaris.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform View Post
What happened to the James Bond villain names? I'm still waiting for the Waldorf Pussy Galore! Get your act together Waldorf!
Well, i've made your wish came true (at least in some way). Explained in the link above: Waldorf-Streichfett-Demo (making of).
Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear

Here's a short demo track I made.
100% Streichfett with external effects added.

Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Haha! They already did. I got this Streichfett for free.
As always, great sounds and great demo. So bottom line - is this one a keeper for you? I recall you saying the Blofeld wasn't. Just curious.
Old 27th September 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
100% with external effects added.

Wow really dig the "Krafwerk" style choir part. Did you used fixed phaser knob position to achieve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
So bottom line - is this one a keeper for you?
Well, the full review is already online, in the same post you quoted.
Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear

Got mine on order
Old 27th September 2014
Quote:

Liked that Michael !!!!! Good stuff as always

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow really dig the "Krafwerk" style choir part. Did you used fixed phaser knob position to achieve it?
Thanks. I used the Small Stone Nano Phaser. It also ran through a Joyo Ac Tone (very cheap amp simulator pedal) to add some grit. Then it had a heavy micropitchshifter to thicken it up (H3000 plugin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Liked that Michael !!!!! Good stuff as always
Thanks MORDICUS, always appreciate your feedback!
Old 28th September 2014
Gear Addict

Old 28th September 2014
Testing out some strings on the streichfett.

Running it thru H3000 Magic Air preset and PCM81 deep space reverb. A sprinkle of shimmer here and there. and a little bit of layered prophet 12 with filter LFO.
Old 28th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc0re View Post
Testing out some strings on the streichfett.

Running it thru H3000 Magic Air preset and PCM81 deep space reverb. A sprinkle of shimmer here and there. and a little bit of layered prophet 12 with filter LFO.
I quite like this; the layered P12 adds a welcome thickness.
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

This is great! Sounds like the Streichfett isn't just a one trick pony if you know what you're doing
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
This is great! Sounds like the Streichfett isn't just a one trick pony if you know what you're doing
Thanks!
Yes I'm impressed with its diversity, I wasn't expecting to get snappy basses or arps from it. The Solo section really adds a lot.
Old 1st October 2014
Streichfett Editor

Hello,

I developed a simple Windows editor for Streichfett. This is a 32-bit application but should work on x64 as well. Strictly speaking, Streichfett doesn't really need an editor because the user interface is straightforward and everything is accessible through the front panel. But I prefer to have an additional tool for precise editing and patch/bank management. This was also a nice test - to see how the user interface I developed for my Tranzistow synthesizer works for other applications.

Download here:

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrast...treichfett.zip

The usual disclaimer ... If you don't like it then don't use it, simple as that. Also, those who fancy photorealistic user interfaces will have to look elsewhere, I am afraid, or at the Streichfett itself

Short instructions:

All Streichfett parameters are here + the ability to name patches (of course, names are not stored on Streichfett, only inside a bank file on the computer).

Those A1..C4 buttons on the top select the appropriate patch (both on the editor and Streichfett).

MIDI Channel, Device ID and SysEx Delay are, more or less, straightforward and don't need additional explanation. I found a 100ms SysEx Delay (default) to be satisfactory in all cases.

MIDI Input ... MIDI device to receive data from Streichfett.

MIDI Output ... MIDI device to send data to Streichfett.

MIDI Thru ... Incoming data from this MIDI device will be sent through "MIDI Output" device. I needed this additional port to connect a keyboard controller etc. because Streichfett driver is not multiclient (two applications cannot open the same port). Of course, you can connect the keyboard to Streichfett MIDI IN directly.

Load Bank ... Load a bank file stored on the computer.

Save Bank ... Save a bank file on the computer.

Banks are stored in Windows INI format - just a simple text.

Receive Bank ... Receive a bank from Streichfett (bank = all 12 patches).

Receive Patch ... Receive a currently selected patch from Streichfett (edit buffer).

Send Bank ... Send a bank to Streichfett.

Send Patch ... Send a currently selected patch to Streichfett and save it.

Import Patch/Bank ... Import a bank file from system exclusive file.

Export Bank ... Export a bank file to system exclusive file.

Export Patch ... Export a currently selected patch to system exclusive file.

While editing, all parameters changed inside editor are sent to Streichfett but nothing is saved on the synthesizer until you execute "Send Patch" or save the patch on Streichfett directly. Furthermore, all parameters changed on Streichfett are automatically reflected inside the editor.

That's it ...
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Addict

I just ordered a Streichfett.

I don't usually get stricken with lust, but after listening to these demos as they've been appearing, I'm super impressed.

I used to have an Arp Omni and a Roland RS-09, and the Streichfett is kind of nailing it, spiritually, and then bringing something extra to the party. Having patch memory is like some beautiful dream!
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
I just ordered a Streichfett.

I don't usually get stricken with lust, but after listening to these demos as they've been appearing, I'm super impressed.

I used to have an Arp Omni and a Roland RS-09, and the Streichfett is kind of nailing it, spiritually, and then bringing something extra to the party. Having patch memory is like some beautiful dream!
I was interested in getting the Roland RS-09 myself, but it has no midi - so didn't.

I'd be interested to know if you could get RS-09 type sounds from the Streichfett...
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Don,

Does the Streichfett respond to aftertouch at all, particularly the solo section?

It would be great to be assign filter, vibrato or pitch bends to the solo notes using aftertouch -- giving it some of the functionality of combo string-solo synths like the Farfisa Syntorchestra or the Yamaha SK-30 or SK-50D. Streichfett solo section takes top note priority, right?
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Edit: dupe post.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Buzzkill post! Just some thoughts, but the RS-09 is kind of a joke compared to something like the Crumar Performer IMO. Also not sure why patch memory is such a big deal on a string synth given how simple they are.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Also not sure why patch memory is such a big deal on a string synth given how simple they are.
Convenience, mostly.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Don,

Does the Streichfett respond to aftertouch at all, particularly the solo section?

It would be great to be assign filter, vibrato or pitch bends to the solo notes using aftertouch -- giving it some of the functionality of combo string-solo synths like the Farfisa Syntorchestra or the Yamaha SK-30 or SK-50D. Streichfett solo section takes top note priority, right?
I'm not Don, but no aftertouch response. And no idea about the note priority, because even the solo section is 8 voice polyphonic so I've not run out of voices

You can however play the solo and string sections on different MIDI channels, so there could be some workarounds for what you're trying to achieve.
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Also not sure why patch memory is such a big deal on a string synth given how simple they are.
Dude, if I'm playing a show, do I really want an audience to wait while I sit there dialing in a bunch of knobs and switches? AND I'd have to consult a notebook because I can't remember the settings?
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Addict

Finally got my Streichfett!

So right off the bat, let me say this thing sounds awesome. Even though it's not analog, it nails the vibe and the spirit. The "Ensemble" effect sounds just like the RS09 I had way back when.

Also, it's worth mentioning that with the "effects" section, the phaser, reverb, and animate parameters are NOT either/or, they ALL can be active at the same time.

If its not clear elsewhere (because it wasn't to me), it seems like basically Waldorf set up the Streichfett as a wavetable synth, and when you cycle through "registration" you are rolling through the wavetable. When turn on and use the "animate" parameter, it is essentially an LFO that cycles or moves through the wavetable, depending upon the depth you set.

What a brilliant utilization of a clever interface! It's a ton of fun and very inspiring.

My only criticisms are:

• The Streichfett does not remember the MIDI channel you set it to, so every time you turn it on, you have to set the MIDI channel again. If you set it to split, so the Solo is on one channel, and the Strings are on the other, you have to repeat that process every single time you power up. Bummer!

• At this time, it doesn't seem to respond to velocity.

So definitely not deal breakers.

Still, I'm psyched that Waldorf had the balls to make such a unique and cool module. Thanks!
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
• At this time, it doesn't seem to respond to velocity.

So definitely not deal breakers.
For you. Velocity and aftertouch response are must haves for me so it looks like the Streichfett is not for me.
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For you. Velocity and aftertouch response are must haves for me so it looks like the Streichfett is not for me.
But the machines it's inspired by didn't have velocity & aftertouch, so...not sure why that would be a deal breaker, though velocity would be nice for some of the bass & lead monosynth sounds. I've ordered one, the price is right and it's a fresh sounding instrument, not more analog mono techno-tweaker boringness.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, it's worth mentioning that with the "effects" section, the phaser, reverb, and animate parameters are NOT either/or, they ALL can be active at the same time.
I guess there's no way to tell what the level of each effect is on as you switch between them since they all share the same knob?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search