The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th August 2014
  #481
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
Just did an extensive test, it seems to be digital clipping on some very specific sweet spots. Send them the results.
Thanks for helping all of us.
Old 29th August 2014
  #482
If I could only keep one of my seven stringers it would be the Streichfett.
It is so versatile, sounds really marvellous, is quieter than most vintage stringers, has patch storage, small footprint, MIDI and knobs galore.
It doesn't recreate any particular stringer 100%, but it fills the niche and goes way beyond what the old ones can do, and it never loses the vintage flavour.

But luckily I can keep them all, so I'll wait a few months and see which ones I'll keep or sell. The first to go will probably be the Polychrome...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 3rd September 2014
  #483
Lives for gear
 
markwalkerjr's Avatar
Just received my new Streitchfett from Sweetwater today. Been testing it out and like it a lot, but I noticed that when I release a note or chord and let it ring out, as it starts to fade in the release stage I can hear something that sounds like a gate closing and then, most times this closing gate sound is followed by a high pitched sound that drones persistently until I play more notes. The high pitched sound is not super loud, but I can clearly hear it and it is super annoying. I even heard the animate effect make this high pitched sound animate on a couple of occasions with no notes being played. The high pitched sound also changes slightly in pitch when I flip a switch on the unit. I am hearing this sound both with the headphone jack and when it is hooked to my mixer. I have also tried power from the computer and plug and it happens with both forms of power. I am using the latest 1.07 firmware. Can anyone else that has this synth tell me if they hear these strange sounds too? I'm going to also write Waldorf. Thanks for your help. Hoping its not just a fault with my unit. It would make it hard to use this synth in a recording situation.
Old 3rd September 2014
  #484
This issue has been discussed over at Sequencer.de.
It seems to be less obvious if used without a computer, and it seems to differ in different units.
In any case be sure to have the most current firmware installed on your Streichfett.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 3rd September 2014
  #485
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
If I could only keep one of my seven stringers it would be the Streichfett.
It is so versatile, sounds really marvellous, is quieter than most vintage stringers, has patch storage, small footprint, MIDI and knobs galore.
It doesn't recreate any particular stringer 100%, but it fills the niche and goes way beyond what the old ones can do, and it never loses the vintage flavour.

But luckily I can keep them all, so I'll wait a few months and see which ones I'll keep or sell. The first to go will probably be the Polychrome...

Cheers,
Bert
You have a Polychrome? That's like my dream poly! I use the Kontakt sampled version all the time, love the choirs.
Old 3rd September 2014
  #486
Lives for gear
 

A friend of mine many years ago had a Polychrome. It has the best vocal sound of any analog or digital synth, I think.
Old 3rd September 2014
  #487
Lives for gear
 
markwalkerjr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
This issue has been discussed over at Sequencer.de.
It seems to be less obvious if used without a computer, and it seems to differ in different units.
In any case be sure to have the most current firmware installed on your Streichfett.

Cheers,
Bert
Yup, have the latest firmware. In my case the sound was equally loud with it plugged to the computer or wall power. I guess I'll wait to hear back from Waldorf support.
Old 3rd September 2014
  #488
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
You have a Polychrome? That's like my dream poly! I use the Kontakt sampled version all the time, love the choirs.
Yup, the choirs are heartwarming.
The rest is quite standard multi-keyboard stuff, good but nothing to write home about.
The Polychrome is a 30kg beast, though, so I'll make myself a sample set of the choirs for the Fusion and see if that can compete with the original.

Choirs, er, cheers,
Bert
Old 3rd September 2014
  #489
Lives for gear
 

I'm interested to see where Waldorf goes next with this rebooted divide-down technology. It's cheap to make, nowadays sounds distinctive from other synths even using digital oscillators for the divide-down, and clearly has a market again.
Old 4th September 2014
  #490
Lives for gear
 
playstation's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
You have a Polychrome? That's like my dream poly! I use the Kontakt sampled version all the time, love the choirs.
Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and got this. It's great. Wasn't even on my radar.
Old 9th September 2014
  #491
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
You have a Polychrome? That's like my dream poly! I use the Kontakt sampled version all the time, love the choirs.
I hadn't seen that either, sounds great, I like the Synth Magic stuff a lot... thanks for pointing it out, not really a farfisa guy, so must have overlooked it for that reason. my bad!
Old 9th September 2014
  #492
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Yeah it's not like any of Farfisa's other stuff.
Old 10th September 2014
  #493
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Yeah it's not like any of Farfisa's other stuff.
i'm with you on that xanderbeanz, never been my cup of tea as I don't sit around trying to do doors covers etc… (through some amps and delays can be cool, and have used them), but had no idea they made a stringer…. thanks again for turning me onto it!
Old 15th September 2014
  #494
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

Ok, I just got one!

Does anyone know how to do an OS update? I got no idea whether my unit has the latest OS. The latest OS on their site is dated 5 days ago, so I doubt my unit has it.

I quickly scanned the online manual, but couldn't find an answer there, just how to send and receive a sound dump.

Do I just play back the OS update midi file when the Streichfett is connected via USB?

I'm on a Windows 7 machine.
Old 15th September 2014
  #495
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Ok, I just got one!

Does anyone know how to do an OS update? I got no idea whether my unit has the latest OS. The latest OS on their site is dated 5 days ago, so I doubt my unit has it.

I quickly scanned the online manual, but couldn't find an answer there, just how to send and receive a sound dump.

Do I just play back the OS update midi file when the Streichfett is connected via USB?

I'm on a Windows 7 machine.
I happened to have a Mac sitting around when I updated mine (before returning it because the switch was broken). I never found any instructions so I plugged it into the USB connection and the Mac recognized it. I used Sysex Librarian to play the file to the Streichfett and the 4 save buttons strobed across continuously while the update was being dumped down.

On Win7, use MIDI-Ox and possibly increase the time between buffer sends.

If any other MIDI-Ox users can chime in with their settings, that would be a help.
Old 15th September 2014
  #496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Ok, I just got one!

Does anyone know how to do an OS update? I got no idea whether my unit has the latest OS. The latest OS on their site is dated 5 days ago, so I doubt my unit has it.

I quickly scanned the online manual, but couldn't find an answer there, just how to send and receive a sound dump.

Do I just play back the OS update midi file when the Streichfett is connected via USB?

I'm on a Windows 7 machine.
You might want to try using Waldorf's Spectre:
Waldorf Blofeld Spectre

Waldorf recommended using it to upgrade the Rocket, likely works just as well.
Old 15th September 2014
  #497
Gear Addict
 
eddy72's Avatar
 

worst synth in the last years: Waldorf Streichfett
really crap sound and nothing like a real stringmachine with a lot disturbing digital noises.
Old 15th September 2014
  #498
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
If any other MIDI-Ox users can chime in with their settings, that would be a help.
I just use the Midi player that comes with MIDI-OX, or convert the midi file to sysex using SyxToMidi.exe so I can apply the update straight from MIDI-OX
Old 15th September 2014
  #499
Gear Maniac
 
Ljudterapi's Avatar
 

Streichfett is a real stringmachine. Not like the classic analog ones but still real.

I haven't noticed any disturibing digital noises with mine. As a matter of fact I find it to have that etheral sound that the classic do but with a cleaner sound (obviously) and it's not as warm as the classics. I think it works fine for what it is. My only complaint is that the ensemble is a bit off and too intense. Depth and speed controls for the ensemble effect would have been great.

I've had some of the classic ones and while I do think analog sounds better they are IMHO too big and limited for me to trade my Streichfett for any of them. An analog ensemble and chorus effect would have been a better choice I guess. But as long as it sits nice in a mix, and it does, I'm happy.
Old 15th September 2014
  #500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy72 View Post
worst synth in the last years: Waldorf Streichfett
really crap sound and nothing like a real stringmachine with a lot disturbing digital noises.
You seem to own a ****load of vintage synths, but gonna take this comment as a very personal opinion (nice UVI sponsorship you got going on btw) rather than a screaming fact.
Old 15th September 2014
  #501
Gear Addict
 
dswo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy72 View Post
worst synth in the last years: Waldorf Streichfett
really crap sound and nothing like a real stringmachine with a lot disturbing digital noises.
I was hoping you would comment, since I have enjoyed your demos of the vintage gear.

This is disappointing, since the originals are effectively out of reach for me.
Old 16th September 2014
  #502
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljudterapi View Post
Streichfett is a real stringmachine. Not like the classic analog ones but still real.

I haven't noticed any disturibing digital noises with mine. As a matter of fact I find it to have that etheral sound that the classic do but with a cleaner sound (obviously) and it's not as warm as the classics. I think it works fine for what it is. My only complaint is that the ensemble is a bit off and too intense. Depth and speed controls for the ensemble effect would have been great.

I've had some of the classic ones and while I do think analog sounds better they are IMHO too big and limited for me to trade my Streichfett for any of them. An analog ensemble and chorus effect would have been a better choice I guess. But as long as it sits nice in a mix, and it does, I'm happy.
the new A1 has an ensemble and Chorus effects wth Logan string emulation
Old 16th September 2014
  #503
Lives for gear
 
playstation's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
the new A1 has an ensemble and Chorus effects wth Logan string emulation
Er...what is an A1?
Old 16th September 2014
  #504
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
Just gonna chime in here for a moment because I discovered it this morning...

Has anyone tried the XILS V+? I was playing with it a lot today and found it very inspiring. It's based on the Roland VP-330. The demo is very generous, allowing you to use it for as long as you like, but no saving patches, etc. Since it's a very simple synth, it's not really a problem. I wasn't able to test out the vocoder portion since the demo disables MIDI input for the vocoder but the synth part is lovely. I think it sounds great! And it's FREE. Since the Streichfett is digital anyway, I thought this info might be of use to some of you. I just bounce the V+ into my DAW, which you'd have to do with the Streichfett anyway, right?

The demo is here, for Mac and PC, and it's 64-bit. Let me know what you think if you check it out

DEMO --> XILS V+
Old 16th September 2014
  #505
Gear Addict
 
eddy72's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswo View Post
I was hoping you would comment, since I have enjoyed your demos of the vintage gear.

This is disappointing, since the originals are effectively out of reach for me.
sorry and yes this only a personal statement. the streichfett has a lot problems in the moment. maybe the waldorf guys can fix it some with the upgrade. the sound character is more 90s like and not lush 70s.
the new Nord Lead A1 has a lot better analog string emulation.
Old 16th September 2014
  #506
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Seems a decent number of people are pretty happy with their Streichfetts. I wouldn't hold eddy72's comment as absolute truth.
Old 16th September 2014
  #507
Gear Addict
 
eddy72's Avatar
 

happy unhappy


buy this!
Old 16th September 2014
  #508
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Newsflash: One week until demo.
Old 16th September 2014
  #509
Lives for gear
 
electricsound's Avatar
 

mine arrives tomorrow!
Old 16th September 2014
  #510
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsound View Post
mine arrives tomorrow!
From Awave?
Mine too.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump