The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Streichfett Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th July 2014
  #331
Gear Maniac
 
Absolutely_Josh's Avatar
Want!
Old 26th July 2014
  #332
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
Gold in a box.
Old 26th July 2014
  #333
Gear Maniac
 
Absolutely_Josh's Avatar
When will this be shipping?
Old 26th July 2014
  #334
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely_Josh View Post
When will this be shipping?
30th July according to Thomann.
Old 26th July 2014
  #335
Lives for gear
I have no idea why but I want one of these.
Old 26th July 2014
  #336
Gear Guru
The first sound sold me!

The NAMM demo was too organ/phaser and I was worried.
Old 26th July 2014
  #337
Gear Maniac
 
Ljudterapi's Avatar
 

Very nice.
Old 26th July 2014
  #338
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
I have no idea why but I want one of these.
For writing vintage porn soundtracks?
Old 26th July 2014
  #339
Lives for gear
 
rockreid's Avatar
 

I already hear in my head a 70's Action Movie chase scene sequence idea.....
Old 26th July 2014
  #340
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Sounds fvcking lush and I am not even 'into' this sound. Good job Waldorf. Also, another outstanding user interface from Axel Hartmann.
Old 26th July 2014
  #341
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

I got no idea what vintage string machines sound like, but the last demo sounds great to these pair of ears! Thinking about buying one, even though I have no idea what to even use it for. I suppose I just buy one and get ready to be inspired!
Old 26th July 2014
  #342
Lives for gear
 

Good to see this may be a success for Waldorf.

I still think they should do a "fun" wavetable synth, in the simplified Rocket/2Pole/Streichfett format. I'm not sure if there's ever really been a fun hardware WT synth (maybe the XT?). They always comes across as so serious.
Old 26th July 2014
  #343
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Sounds better then the messe demo's... definitely getting more interested in this box! I love stringers, own GForce's great VSM and loads of Kontakt Libraries (synth magic and hollow sun make some great ones), but the hands on control on this looks like a lot of fun....
Old 26th July 2014
  #344
Lives for gear
 

Sounds alright. Too much reverb on that demo though. I still suspect any old synth through a good analogue chorus would sound better but this is a neat little box.
Old 26th July 2014
  #345
Lives for gear
 
mig27's Avatar
+1.
Indeed too much reverb and I can't get rid of the plasticy aftertaste.
Old 27th July 2014
  #346
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

It sounds cool, and nostalgic

Looking at the controls, I feel it is kind of limited as far as being able to edit the sounds in more detail/depth. I guess that was a way to keep it simple, and price it on the low side.

A Pro version of this would be cool, with more in-depth editing, and more user memory slots, ..etc.

Again, a very nice product by Waldorf
Old 27th July 2014
  #347
Gear Maniac
 

I'm really not a hater. . . but this thing just doesn't sound right to me.

Others have mentioned the high end, and I agree it seems unduly brash. Also wish they had some way to slop up the oscillators. . .

The market for vintage string machines also is really not that bad. . . as anyone who was around back then knows, there were a %&$ ton of string machines made in the late 70s.

I had the itch a year or two ago and picked up a rs-09 for almost exactly what this sucker costs. . .

. . . although the rs-09 is no "beast," I"ll take it over this any day.

And it does have the added benefit that the external in runs through the bbd's. . . love vintage string-i-fying my old casios that way. . .

Just a thought / radically different option for those looking for a cheap vintage string fix.
Old 27th July 2014
  #348
Lives for gear
 
pointsource's Avatar
 

Das gefällt mir!
Old 27th July 2014
  #349
Lives for gear
I am still wondering if there is really any advantage sound-wise of this for strings vs. FXpansion Amber? Obviously some real time controls but I mean sound only.
Old 27th July 2014
  #350
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 

Just listened to the latest clip with headphones. It sounds good, but digital, a little bit bright, and I can hear the Waldorf digital filters in the sound. I wonder how this would sound through real analog ensemble, such as Elkorus. The Streichfett would have been perfect if they included such an analog ensemble, but would have increased the price quite a lot, maybe doubled it. I may still get one later, and use it with the Elkorus.
Old 28th July 2014
  #351
Lives for gear
 
EofN's Avatar
Those Roland string machines seem like such a good deal. I wonder when the price will start soaring?

Which Casio are you using? I think the strings on the CT6000 are quite good, but it's on a shelf due to it's great size and lack of overall usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsquareD View Post
I had the itch a year or two ago and picked up a rs-09 for almost exactly what this sucker costs. . .

. . . although the rs-09 is no "beast," I"ll take it over this any day.

And it does have the added benefit that the external in runs through the bbd's. . . love vintage string-i-fying my old casios that way. . .

Just a thought / radically different option for those looking for a cheap vintage string fix.
Old 28th July 2014
  #352
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsquareD View Post
I'm really not a hater. . . but this thing just doesn't sound right to me.

Others have mentioned the high end, and I agree it seems unduly brash. Also wish they had some way to slop up the oscillators. . .

The market for vintage string machines also is really not that bad. . . as anyone who was around back then knows, there were a %&$ ton of string machines made in the late 70s.

I had the itch a year or two ago and picked up a rs-09 for almost exactly what this sucker costs. . .

. . . although the rs-09 is no "beast," I"ll take it over this any day.

And it does have the added benefit that the external in runs through the bbd's. . . love vintage string-i-fying my old casios that way. . .

Just a thought / radically different option for those looking for a cheap vintage string fix.
I assume most people interested in this are not interested in the vintage stringers and the uncertainty of possible repairs and failures.

I suspect the core audience for this are younger musicians who want a throwback sound, but have no experience with the originals.
Old 28th July 2014
  #353
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
I assume most people interested in this are not interested in the vintage stringers and the uncertainty of possible repairs and failures.

I suspect the core audience for this are younger musicians who want a throwback sound, but have no experience with the originals.
Or older people that had to deal with the size, weight, no-MIDI, repairs aspects of the originals.

I'll admit, there's something special about a cleaned up and calibrated Solina String Ensemble, or old Elka or a Freeman, or ... but I'm not up to keeping 3 or 4 of them around anymore just for these sounds. I hated turning a piece of gear on that hadn't been powered up in a couple months only to hear it had developed a problem or two.

Nothing kills the moment like broken gear.
Old 29th July 2014
  #354
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Or older people that had to deal with the size, weight, no-MIDI, repairs aspects of the originals.

I hated turning a piece of gear on that hadn't been powered up in a couple months only to hear it had developed a problem or two.

Nothing kills the moment like broken gear.
Agree entirely. My Solina went some years ago. I'd much rather have something compact and reliable like the Streichfett when I'm in the mood for a Stringer, especially for the price being asked. I'm looking forward to plugging it into a Small Stone and seeing how close it gets to Oxygene/Equinoxe for starters. The rest is a bonus. I have a good few synths including analog but I don't think any of them do the String Machine thing as well as the Streichfett based on the demos. Hopefully I'll still feel the same when it arrives next Tuesday. Sharp looking too
Old 29th July 2014
  #355
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
I'm looking forward to plugging it into a Small Stone and seeing how close it gets to Oxygene/Equinoxe for starters.
You dont trust the build in Phaser or does the Small Stone have such a unique sound to it?
Old 29th July 2014
  #356
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
You dont trust the build in Phaser or does the Small Stone have such a unique sound to it?
The Small Stone is a classic pedal with a recognisable sound. Every time I hear it, it reminds me of the swirling strings in Oxygene.
I'd be surprised if the on board phaser sounds as good, though you never know till you try it.
Though the effects sounded decent in that last demo, I think this unit will really shine when run through some quality hardware effects.

This thing looks pretty cool. Nice one Waldorf.
Old 29th July 2014
  #357
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Small Stones are cheap and give a guaranteed retro sound.

I would almost like to have one of these to layer with my original Solina. I think it sounds more Omni-ish than Solina though.

The Solina also has a massive mono bass in there that I have not heard anywhere else.
Old 29th July 2014
  #358
Lives for gear
 

This is right up my street, use a lot of layered choir/pad sounds. Just got to consider is the relatively low price is worth it for what is essentially a one trick pony…


Oh and Small Stones are amazing, got one from the 70's and it is the definition of phasers.
Old 29th July 2014
  #359
Lives for gear
 
akai612's Avatar
 

@Waldorf - Waldorf seems to be one of the few really innovative synt-produing companies out there. Rocket is at that price range by miles the best buy out there and streichfett is just glorious that I'm selling my crumar performer.

****now please would you give us a remake of the sp1200!****

...and I dont mind to wait a year after your first announcement that you actually are going to produce a remake of the sp1200. C'mon you guys can do it! Give us what we want! sp1200 with same aliasing effect for a 1'000 euros...
Old 29th July 2014
  #360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Small Stones are cheap and give a guaranteed retro sound.
Any significant difference between the real vintage ones and the current model? Besides tripple the price that is :P
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump