The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your approach to making electronic music? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

I do multiple takes of myself beat boxing, and humming with, crazy melodies, and sound effects. Then I replace those sounds with synths, and other instruments. After that, I add on top of that!
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
I do multiple takes of myself beat boxing, and humming with, crazy melodies, and sound effects. Then I replace those sounds with synths, and other instruments. After that, I add on top of that!
Love it. I have thought of doing that often but never got round to trying it yet....will do though.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

We should all take notes from Tiestos' methods
Old 8th March 2014
For me it's slightly different everytime I start a song. I always start out with the melody because that's what I feel is most important in a song. Then it just goes from there. Another thing I do is have the mastering chain/basic template already set up so I can just write out my idea/inspiration and worry about the technical mixing, sound design, etc. later on.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Head

Personally I like to go for a ride on my pushbike or watch videos with the sound turned down. Nothing too cerebral.
My mind will fill in the silence with something.
Then I'll try and recreate the feel or atmosphere of what's in my mind. I may sketch out how I think the tune should evolve on a piece of paper.
Then I'll look for motifs to flavour it. Then try some more motifs. Keep doing that till I've stuck in too many then try and take some away.
Then I'll adjust the structure of the tune to accommodate the motifs.
Sound design usually comes last. If I get too concerned about the right sound too early then the song becomes designed around a sound rather than a musical idea.

I don't bother with mastering. Everything I do is solely for my ipod.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

It really depends on what type fo track I want to create. If I want to create a synth based oldschool electronic track I usually begin by playing a bass/drum combo track and then ad the rest as the inspiration comes.

For a sample based track à la Dj Shadow I always drop a break and ad elements here and there until I have something good. If I have a clear idea of what I want to ad to my composition, I'll use Wusikstation (my virtual workstation of choice) and compose on top of the loops that are playing.

I'm not into complex writing process, if I want to be sure everything is perfect in my track I'll use key/chord/note charts and correct the errors, but otherwise I just go with the flow.
Old 14th March 2014
I liked reading this thread, so here's to keeping it alive. I have different approaches usually. I have also done a lot of the "humming" and "beatboxing", which worked pretty well, actually. Think I need to do that more.

Since I've gotten all these grooveboxes I very easily get stuck just creating 4 bar long loops. So right now I'm working on how I can turn those four bar loops into something different that still sort of go together with the first four bar loop. It's easy to do lots of variations, but harder to make those variations fit together and make it sound interesting. One thing I've learned is to have one or two elements (like the bass line or a rhythmic element, for instance), from the first loop carry on into the second loop, but change the other things up quite a bit.

In general though, I always set limits for myself before creating a track. For instance - "in this tune I will only use two tracks of the Machinedrum and two tracks of the Blofeld, that's it". In the beginning of the writing process I just mess around with a few sounds, see what works, tweak a lot of sounds, go pretty extreme to tune it gradually back down - and whilst doing this, usually some sort of visual image will appear, like I'm making music for a movie scene. From then on, that "movie scene" is the guiding star in the rest of the process.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
1) buy lots of ****
2) don't hook it up, just dump it somewhere
3) let it gather dust
4) cry myself to sleep since i'm never going to achieve or make anything
This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time!!
So true for everyone at some point!
Great post!!!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

I start with sound design and maybe do some sampling. Then weird stuff just happens. I try not to write like I would on guitar and mostly just improvise and look out for lucky mistakes. Somewhere along the way it gets edited to a song or some form of structure.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbyroad View Post
I sit with a guitar or piano and write the melody and lyric.

Old school, baby!!!!
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I listen to "The best of David Hasselhoff" or "Paris Hilton's Greatest Hits" and then I try to recreate the atmospheres. Sometimes I stare at a freshly caught octopus in the eyes, for inspiration. Also I do Pilates prior to every recording session.
What are you wearing?
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
What are you wearing?
This

Old 23rd March 2014
I often get inspired by a song or something in life, which result in an idea of some chords, or a bass or rhythm. Then upon building on this I usually end up deleting what I started with and ending up completely another place. It is an uncontrolled force where I have to grab and get as much as I can into the DAW so I don't remember it, which means late nights. Then days later when I listen to it I something think what the F.. did I think of here, then delete and rebuild. Other times it's like yeah, this can be cool.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
This

The whole guy?
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Guru

Depends on the type of music I'm setting out to make. Often, a pop melody and lyric will just sort of sneak into my head while I'm showering or changing my baby's diaper. You'd be shocked at how many children's songs about pooping I've composed in this last year.

So if something sticks with me, I'll either run to my studio and grab a guitar and start fleshing it out. Words, melody, chords, all sort of spill out and as they do some sort of arrangement usually becomes apparent. I'll record a scratch track to a click for a guide, then I'll start sequencing out drums and other synthetic instruments or recording guitar and bass guitar parts. Usually vocals are last and then I'll mess about with the production until I've ruined it.

Then there's my trip-hop-esque ambient instrumental improvised stuff. For that I'll usually start by sequencing out a drum part. Often very simple with very few changes. Then I'll start "looping" parts over it with audio loopers. Usually I use Mobiüs and/or Live's Looper. In the past I've used looping hardware like the Electrix Repeater. It's very free and loose. If I intend to make a permanent recording I'll loop out each part separately. Bass, pads, guitars, etch. Sometimes creating different "parts" but often just setting the feedback at 80% at some point and letting it evolve as new bits replace old. There's no rules. Sometimes I'll take the output of Ableton's Looper and have it run through some automated effects where I draw out the automation curves ahead of time in an almost random way so I'm not quite sure what the looper will spit out after I've fed it audio. It's a very fun way to work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search