The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mfb tanzbar or roland tr-8 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 View Post

if the Tanzbar works for you then great, for me (and I'm sure many others) the TR-8 is a much better fit. but congrats on being so much hipper than I with your more indie real drum machine.
If the TR8 sounded great then fine but it sounds (albeit on youtube) ****e! Yeah the kicks have been tarted up a bit but the claps and hats are weak. Its just generic. Peoples justification seems to be hey its cheap and wow it integrates with my computer. Whoopeefookindoo
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Guru

I'd vote for none of the above. It's more money... quite a bit more, but the Analog RYTM seems to blow both those boxes away. Initially I was unimpressed with their audio demos, but they updated the site and put up a bunch of great demos.

I'd rather save up and wait and get the right machine than struggle with one that's not quite ready. Until then it's Maschine and software for me.
Old 15th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy101 View Post
If the TR8 sounded great then fine but it sounds (albeit on youtube) ****e! Yeah the kicks have been tarted up a bit but the claps and hats are weak. Its just generic. Peoples justification seems to be hey its cheap and wow it integrates with my computer. Whoopeefookindoo
the TR-8 does sound great, actually it sounds ****ing awesome and I've used my share of drum machines over the past couple decades and for my taste I would rather have it than any/all of the TR-x0x boxes. for things beyond that, Live's drumracks and my synths can handle just about everything else.

sure, the computer integration is definitely a benefit. had it been implemented like on the Virus TI, then I'd actually consider it a huge selling point but as it is, the TR-8 is a good value because it sounds great and it has a great user interface. were those two elements not present, it wouldn't matter what price it sold for. I don't know about you, but I don't buy something because of its price and certainly not because it is "cheap" ..thus the glass of Mikkeller's Better-Half that I'm presently enjoying.

I've no idea why you're seemingly taking this almost personally and feel the need to disparage something you've never actually heard, let alone touched or have any interest in. you like the Tanzbar, good for you. I also agree that it seems a decent drum machine. likewise the upcoming Rytm looks pretty great and based on my experience with my old XBase09, I imagine that Jomox's 999 is an amazing machine. past and present there are many great drum machines, for my needs the TR-8 has fit in nicely and it's great having the sound/features I'm after for 1/4 the price I was willing to spend.

but do feel free to continue with the assumptive fallacies.
Old 29th October 2014
Here for the gear

Obv I'm a bit late joining discussion. But for anyone who finds this thread in a search..
the consensus seems to be the the tr8 is better for live performances, having used both live, it depends on how u use the machines live. If u mostly improvise on the fly then it's tr8 all the way. If u r composing tracks and arranging them live (which is what I do) then it's the tanzbar. U have 3 velo levels, individual step length for each instrument, the pattern chain function, saves parameters of the instruments and the mute function doesn't require switching modes. But again..if u often tweak patterns live...its def not the first choice. Way too much room for error w what u could call the 'display' haha.
But of course, all if this is assuming ur not concerned with the analog vs digital sound quality...
Happy programming !
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Addict

tanzbar is an ace machine. ive still got my jomox airbase lying about, but definitely need to get an audio output expander start platying with all these things together.
Old 10th November 2017
Hi there everyone...
I'm about to buy a used TANZBAR. The owner had it for a long time and the guy didn't even remember some combos to make rythms with it... so I have two theories: a) The guys is dumb (which is really possible) and b) The machine is very difficult to use.

oK SO... my question about this, being a tr8 live improvisationist user:
1.- Is it really such a difficult drum machine? can be used to create patterns easily live if you compel to use it on a daily basis?

I saw a red LED light didn't turn on when this guy was using it -i asked him wtf and he said he didn't realized about this... so...
2.- Is it a reliable machine in terms of durability?

The guy who is selling it to me told me that the first unit had a sound problem and they replaced it... but... ok, let me know ur opinion.
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliosMusic View Post
Hi there everyone...
I'm about to buy a used TANZBAR. The owner had it for a long time and the guy didn't even remember some combos to make rythms with it... so I have two theories: a) The guys is dumb (which is really possible) and b) The machine is very difficult to use.

oK SO... my question about this, being a tr8 live improvisationist user:
1.- Is it really such a difficult drum machine? can be used to create patterns easily live if you compel to use it on a daily basis?

I saw a red LED light didn't turn on when this guy was using it -i asked him wtf and he said he didn't realized about this... so...
2.- Is it a reliable machine in terms of durability?

The guy who is selling it to me told me that the first unit had a sound problem and they replaced it... but... ok, let me know ur opinion.
Test it yourself in person, or ask him to make a short video showing what the issues are or are not.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search