The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how do they do it...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

No Illuminati nor Boogie Man.

One word = Grays
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Your doing it again. It's Easter man and the boogie Bunny.
It's Roller Man and the Boogie Nights Bunny, fool.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

1. The first step to sounding like that is to decouple the the bottom three octaves of bass say, 40hz 80hz and 160hz. Learn to control them independently and together. Learn to have only one sound playing at a time in any of these band. This is most important in the lowest band, any frequency clashes here and you are in for trouble. Once you get that solid work your way up the frequency spectrum.

2. Get the best open back headphones you can afford and critically listen to the artists you want to emulate. Listen in your DAW with the EQs highpass and lowpass filters on to isolate specific frequency ranges (focus on the bottom three octaves).

3. Open up your DAW, loop one bar, and experiment with various 16th note pattern. Almost all EDM is based on interlocking 16th note patterns.

4. If you don't know it learn the natural minor scale like the back of your hand. It is by far the most common in EDM

5. PROFIT!

this is far to short an explanation but if you can do these thing you will soon realize that the music you were trying to emulate sounds nothing like you thought it did when you started. There is a quote "any sufficiently advanced technology is seen as magic". What i'm trying to say is that, once you learn enough to be able to hear what is really going on, the music will sound less magical and more do-able.

P.S. your tastes in music might change from by doing this (fair warning )

Last edited by pandar; 1st March 2014 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs333 View Post
I'm not saying that any of the people on your list are true creatives or even good artists (don't get me started on Gartner)
curious, whats wrong with gartner?
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

if you're asking for specific advice on how they get their productions to where they are, go watch producer masterclasses. Literally most helpful thing for me. theres some by computer music on youtube that are pretty enlightening. IMO though skrillex's sound has been done to death. Same freakin samples, same goshdarn massive patches. It was cool when it was original, but now any idiot with a vengeance pack can make his stuff nowadays.
anyway here's an example: High Rankin Music Production Masterclass - Dubstep in Ableton Live - YouTube
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxpot View Post
Skrillex and Kerri Chandler in one sentence?..Geeez, learning never stops i guess…
right?

one of these things is not like the other...
Old 1st March 2014
they do not work alone. all those guys you mention are not solo artists even though their name suggests it... Every single one gets, mix help, proper studio room, proper mastering... they make it seem they sit on a laptop all day and make bangers, but it not true...
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxpot View Post
Skrillex and Kerri Chandler in one sentence?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
... a sign of madness (like repeatedly doing the same things and expecting different results).
this is the definition of iodiocy.

and Skrillex ... ok, its a matter of taste, partly. but most of it ... who cares about Skrillex? if someone wants to make music, Skrillex is by far the worst starting point that comes to mind.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
Classic line.
Old 1st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post

and Skrillex ... ok, its a matter of taste, partly. but most of it ... who cares about Skrillex? if someone wants to make music, Skrillex is by far the worst starting point that comes to mind.
It's insanity, not idiocy, or iodiocy.....
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
It's insanity, not idiocy, or iodiocy.....
Shouldn't thing's be taken on a case by case basis ?
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Shouldn't thing's be taken on a case by case basis ?
You're pleading, aren't you? ok, maybe we can let you off........
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubba bubba View Post
curious, whats wrong with gartner?
I too would like to know- just curious really, I think his productions are fantastic.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

My 2 cents would be, prepare to promote yourself and to move on the slightest opportunity.

Looking back, I missed probably six or so potentially life-changing, incredibly lucky encounters that I let slide through my fingers because I either didn't recognize them at the critical moment, or didn't have confidence in my own talent, even with the opportunity did.

Prepare. Be aggressive. Be willing to get outside your comfort zone. Otherwise you'll never make that jump to the next level.

And sometimes real opportunities can be right next door. Look carefully, and be ready to pounce when the time comes.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokkaido View Post
This is the most pathetic thing that I've read all day. The day is still young tho.
I am curious to know why you found it pathetic, because I might not be politically correct but my frustrations come from a real place in my heart, and I'm not being a hater I actually commend those individuals for being ambitious , Its just not a flavor of the month or what's hot right now type thing for me. And yeah putting skrillex and Kerri Chandler in the same sentence was a bit idiotic, but I respect his taste in music more than anything else, for instance I know he's a big fan of aphex twin and squarepusher but I couldn't name three songs of his own off the top of my head. Well notheless some insightful post in here, that have put things in somewhat of a perspective for me.
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
My 2 cents would be, prepare to promote yourself and to move on the slightest opportunity.

Looking back, I missed probably six or so potentially life-changing, incredibly lucky encounters that I let slide through my fingers because I either didn't recognize them at the critical moment, or didn't have confidence in my own talent, even with the opportunity did.

Prepare. Be aggressive. Be willing to get outside your comfort zone. Otherwise you'll never make that jump to the next level.

And sometimes real opportunities can be right next door. Look carefully, and be ready to pounce when the time comes.

Good advice.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
20% talent, 70% hard work, 10% luck.
You may need to adjust those percentages, depending....

Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kinda surprised more people haven't mentioned it. Probably can't be bothered for 2 minutes.
It goes around every once in a while...in multiple forms.
how do they do it...-creativity.jpg
There might be other reasons it wasn't mentioned in this particular situation.

Here's an interesting look at the progression of one artist over 22 years. You could say it's an example of those words put into action.

"Do I draw a lot because I am good, or am I good because I draw a lot? I don’t know, probably a bit of both."

-Jake Lockett
Old 2nd March 2014
Deleted #255447
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
I

"Do I draw a lot because I am good, or am I good because I draw a lot? I don’t know, probably a bit of both."

-Jake Lockett
Love it. Especially his vague conclusion. Basically the answer ins't really that interesting. Doing more drawing is.

It's like what I think of as 'happy ant syndrome'. An ant doesn't need to know a whole lot about the world, just needs to be an ant and do ant things. And humans are like overambitious ants sometimes, trying to grasp what is not really their business to grasp. An artist doesn't need to know the answers to all and sundry. Nor any other human being for that matter. But if you are connected you feel a hunch. That's enough. More important to just do what you're here for.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Jeremy View Post
I am curious to know why you found it pathetic, .
Saying that you feel like dance music owes you something because you were there in 2006 when it was "obscure" does come across like that.

Does Dance music also owe something to the people listening since 1996 ? or pre internet in 1986 and beyond ?
Does it owe them more than you because they have listened longer and from a time when there was no internet and it would have been even more obscure ?

Dance music owes you (and everyone else) nothing. The music IS the reward. If anything we are in debt to it.
Old 2nd March 2014
Make music for yourself...anything else is a bonus

I still get chuffed when someone says they like something Ive made and even more chuffed when a stranger buys a download or a CD

Even if it is my gran using an alias
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
No Illuminati nor Boogie Man.

One word = Grays
Hromophobe!
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It's like what I think of as 'happy ant syndrome'.
Well, I'm lovin' this and I like how you put it about his vague conclusion.

To be fair, that's only the end of his quote. I just felt it spoke so well on it's own. The full quote was regarding why he posted his progression:

“People often seem to feel that artists have an inherent talent, but in this project I intended to show that with work, progression is inevitable, a concept that will hopefully inspire others to peruse their interests wholeheartedly...I like to think of it as a ‘The Chicken and the Egg’ scenario. Do I draw a lot because I am good, or am I good because I draw a lot? I don’t know, probably a bit of both.”

With work, progression is inevitable...nice.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
I agree except switch talent (10%) and luck (20%).
to be a realist I'd go even further and switch hard work (20%) and luck (70%).
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
I saw this recently. You should watch Rainbow Jeremy.

Awsome video
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru
I hate Ira Glass and I even like that video...
Old 2nd March 2014
Quote:
Inspiration fits in there somewhere too.

I see many threads here and elsewhere by guys who say they can only come up with an 8 bar groove and then run out of ideas. It really makes me wonder where they're coming from, musically.

I get song ideas when I'm about to fall asleep, taking a shower, or in the car. When I finally sit down at the keyboards there's already a song in my head, and now it's my job to translate what I hear in my head into something I can share with others. To me, THAT has always been the hard part, and it's something I've devoted the last 2-3 years to (just producing, not writing), and that's the area where practice/hard work is going to benefit you the most.

But you've got to have an idea first. It really seems like a lot of folks overlook this part.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search