The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I have a few synths with a manual mode button that bypasses presets. I wonder if you could have a true bypass button for presets that has no quantization or artifacts.
You could in theory using analog switch ICs to send the pot voltages directly into the synth CV inputs when in manual mode. It would add cost and complexity to the design though.

Doesn't Moog have a patent on something like that on the Phattys?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
When putting synths in my car to go jam with friends, it is a lot easier if I don't have to bring a rack, effects, cables, etc.

Call me lazy, but synths without effects are more likely to stay at home. There's no right and wrong here, it is just what I prefer.
I don't call you lazy - I understand perfectly where you're coming from Then again, lots of smaller mixers nowadays have FX built in - usually not that much worse than budget 1Us or on-board FX. You'll lose control, sure, and it's only a send, but still.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
But honestly, it must be a fairly substantial cost difference to add the cpu and ability to scan the different controls… what percentage of MSRP would that add to the cost? Obviously besides midi, this seems to be the obvious desire for most...
Midi is simple to add, a CPU to scan the keyboard and generate/receive midi and output CV/Gate is simple and cheap. Adding circuitry to scan all the sliders and switches, store them in patch memory, and recreate the CVs and switch parameters on the fly is a lot more complex and expensive to implement.

Hopefully if they put MIDI in the new Oddy, they'll implement duophony the same way as the original, with low-note priority on one oscillator and high-note priority on the other. Or, make it switchable between LNP/HNP or last-note priority like modern synths. And make it possible to change midi channels. Both these things can be done without adding any buttons to the panel, just have the CPU interpret various keys held on power-up as commands to switch midi channel or note priority modes. And then store them in an EEPROM so the synth boots up the same way. Another nice-to-have would be to be able to flip between mono and duo modes.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntropic View Post
Here's a dead serious one:

MAKE THE GLIDE CONTROL EFFECTIVE ON THE CV / GATE INPUTS!

Sorry to shout but Korg need to hear that one. I have an Axxe and the glide control is inactive when controlling it over CV. Very frustrating!
Good suggestion. If the Odyssey doesn't have this, then I would want this added as it's an important feature.

Patch points could be another great addition.

One thing people should keep in mind when making these suggestions is cost. That's the age old question. Do you want it to have all the bells and whistles or do you want it to have a better price point.
Old 28th February 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
One thing people should keep in mind when making these suggestions is cost. That's the age old question. Do you want it to have all the bells and whistles or do you want it to have a better price point.
this is it - if they can produce a original Oddy for under 1k then ultimately that is going to please more people than a Oddy on steroids for 3k. price point on the MS20 mini made it FLY off the shelves!
Old 28th February 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

My wish list to Korg:

1) Full size keys and i/o plugs, MIDI
2) Good quality sliders, buttons and knobs
3) Smaller front panel (less depth), but same controller arrangement.
4) Cut off the excess of the surrounding / protecting metal frame, the original looks ugly
-> Look at the mk3, it does not have that metal frame anymore, and has very exciting orange / black colors!

Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
My wish list to Korg:

1) Full size keys and i/o plugs, MIDI
2) Good quality sliders, buttons and knobs
3) Smaller front panel (less depth), but same controller arrangement.
4) Cut off the excess of the surrounding / protecting metal frame, the original looks ugly
-> Look at the mk3, it does not have that metal frame anymore, and has very exciting orange / black colors!

Looking at that picture reminds me about the overhang of the keys on the Odyssey. I hope Korg will set the keys in so that they don't hang over the edge, making it easier to transport without breaking anything.

If they decide to stay true to the Odyssey's original form factor, Korg might also want to include a case (like the Micro X), since a case of those dimensions isn't easy to come by.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

the overhang was called bugs bunny by many - and I agree its ugly and bad design for easy damage to the keybed.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
It MUST have:
-Polyphony
-Step sequencer
-Sampling
-a third oscillator
-On board effects like analog delay, compressor, distortion, chorus, phaser and reverb
-USB DAW integration
-touchscreen
-Ribbon controller
-touchpad controller
-Ipad dock...
Plus a built-in cup holder and ashtray
Old 28th February 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
the overhang was called bugs bunny by many - and I agree its ugly and bad design for easy damage to the keybed.
Somehow I like the way the keyboard is in the mk3. However, I agree that this could be bad for live playing and carrying the synth around. If they could make the new odyssey with the mk3 color scheme, but with the structure shown in the prototype photo...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
I hope Korg will set the keys in so that they don't hang over the edge, making it easier to transport without breaking anything.
You wish has been granted. The prototype in the Korg photo is a mkII which does not have overhanging keys.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I remember in my teens thinking the overhanging keyboard looked cool in pictures - presumably ARP did too. However the amount of broken 'buck teeth' MKIIIs I've seen defiitely sways me to the MkI/II style in this regard. In all other regards I think the MkIII is the best colour scheme. I could see a whiteface edition for folks who like that sort of thing, but does anyone really like the gold/black?

Also everyone is mentioning MIDI but not specifiying DIN or USB. I would like both or DIN, but just USB means finding another USB port and also limits its live potential to computer use.

Things I would like to see:
  • MIDI on DIN and USB or just DIN
  • All original I/O including CV/gates and XLR
  • Internal PSU
  • Any obvious design flaws fixed - seems there's highpass and lowpass errors - also if the portamento is bypassed in CV/Gate mode (as on the Axxe) then that seems an oversight
  • MkIII colour scheme
  • NO MkIII overhanging keyboard though
  • Prefer full-size to mini
  • Detents in the pitch sliders
  • Switchable filter types (which seems to be there anyway)
  • Heavy duty sliders - they're going to get wiggled a lot
  • I may be alone on this, but I quite like the PPC. I think with modern engineering this could be made to work better though as I realise it's not everyone's favourite. I just wonder if an ARP with wheels would look right.

Things I am not fussed about but might be nice:
  • I don't mind if they reduce the size as some have suggested (within a full-size design) as there is a lot of wasted space
  • Or use that wasted space for an extra LFO slider dedicated to the vibrato PPC
  • An actual volume slider might be nice heh
  • If there is patch memory one way of not impacting too much on the design would be to have a single patch button in that big space on the left and use the keybed to select the patch number a la OSCar, rather than having a load of memory buttons
  • Aftertouch a la Pro Soloist

Looking at the protoype I think what we'll actually get is MIDI, switchable filters and that's about it - no patch memories, no VSTi integration, no effects etc.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
I remember in my teens thinking the overhanging keyboard looked cool in pictures - presumably ARP did too. However the amount of broken 'buck teeth' MKIIIs I've seen defiitely sways me to the MkI/II style in this regard. In all other regards I think the MkIII is the best colour scheme. I could see a whiteface edition for folks who like that sort of thing, but does anyone really like the gold/black?
Korg has a long history of making synths in multiple color schemes, I can very easily see Korg making this in multiple color schemes, especially since the originals had that

Can also see them making one color for the "mini" version and another for the "full sized" version if they make two sizes like they did for the MS20
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm one of those people who would just buy an old one in place of the new if it isn't improved on enough. So I would like to see:

ADSR and AR, switchable
Switchable filters
Fix filter bugs
Octave switch
Autotune button (not continuous)
Better sliders
Better pitch sliders (detents)
Patch Memory
Sliders have LED strips beside them to indicate patch settings
Full MIDI control
Volume knob
Improved PPC and
Pitch bend lever
Whiteface!
49 full size non-overhaning keys
Velocity and aftertouch
Semi weighted keyboard

I'm sure most of these things will not be included, especially not the last one. Probably only the filter switch and rudimentary MIDI, which makes it only marginally better than the original, if they do not significantly improve on the build quality and stability; so let's hope that they do, in which case I would get the new one over the original.

Btw, just because you have patch memory it isn't written in stone than you will have zipping noise and latency. Just make resolution high enough, and processor fast enough. Tech has come a long way. You can also use a slew rate limiter to eliminate zipping noise; I do this on my Jupiter-6 by using sustain slider with decay set low for manual filter sweeps. This could be done internally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Keep the Odyssey the Odyssey. Adding stuff to it (other than MIDI, switchable filters and maybe a bug fix or three) will make it non-authentic.

THEN release another synth based on the Odyssey design with all the modern conveniences like patch memory, real pitch/mod wheels, better knobs, etc. Give it a new look and a new name, since it's basically a new synth. Then (almost) everyone can be happy. How about this, combine the MS20 guts with Odyssey guts to make a ModySsey-20 with 4 oscillators, 3 filters, etc.
Actually, that may be the way to go
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

I hope that many people who are making wishes here have actually spent time with an original Odyssey to know what feature suggestions would actually ruin it. Polyphony? Patch memory?

I say keep it real and don't spoil what was already good. However basic midi like in the MS20m would definitely be a bonus-- USB and a din input port, and I agree with the other poster that glide on the midi/CV in would be welcome, also retaining the duophony for external control would also be fantastic.

Otherwise, I'm fairly certain many experienced odyssey users would agree-- add outrageous features and it's no longer an odyssey.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
also retaining the duophony for external control would also be fantastic.
Nice idea. With MIDI that's a no brainer. For CV/Gate, provide two CV In jacks (one for each oscillator, I'll call them 1 and 2), and wire the jacks so that if just CV1 is connected, it controls both oscillators so it can be used as a monosynth with a single pitch CV. If just CV2 is connected, control oscillator 2 via the CV and oscillator 1 from the keyboard/MIDI, so you can run a CV sequencer on oscillator 2 while playing 1 from the keyboard. And obviously, if both are connected, each oscillator is controlled by its own CV input. Pretty cool, and not that hard/costly to implement (mainly just an extra CV In jack).
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

New England Analog does modifications to the original Odyssey which address many of the points brought up here. The selectable Single/Multiple Trigger Mod is another improvement I would like to see implemented.

New England Analog - Vintage Keyboard Restoration, Repair, and Custom Electronics
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
I hope that many people who are making wishes here have actually spent time with an original Odyssey to know what feature suggestions would actually ruin it. Polyphony? Patch memory?

I say keep it real and don't spoil what was already good.
Good for you maybe.

Why is patch memory an outrageous feature? Sure it's costly but if done right it needn't spoil the instrument. High resolution, low latency control, with a manual mode and you're set. I'm pretty sure you could even make the manual mode completely analogue so the 'purity' of your Odyssey is not ruined, however that may be very expensive. But do it right or not at all...

I had a Juno-6 and I thought it would be okay to not have patch memory for such a simple instrument. I turned out to be wrong; it barely got used. I now have a Juno-60 and I wouldn't go back if you gave me €1000 for it. I know the Odyssey is a different instrument, but in my book patch memory is vital. I noodle and tweak, and when I'm satisfied I save the sound, after which point my hands are on keyboard and mod/pitch controls 90% of the time.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Head
Keep 1:1 ratio!
Make it MKI/MKII design but full metal version!

Please, DO NOT make it SMD!
Or if You must cost-wise, make additional line with just circuit boards, for trough hole soldering and sell it with parts list and sliders! Call it Enthusiast Edition, show that you care, and brag about it everywhere!
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the operator View Post
Please, DO NOT make it SMD!
I doubt it'll be anything but SMD.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Head
Jeah, once was... trough hole...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My wish list to Korg:

I prefer the MK2 black and gold-
but looking at the mark III, I wondered what put me off it- the sides (make them black and it works for me)
Attached Thumbnails
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey?-arp-odysseywithblacksides.jpg  
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

Aside from basic MIDI, the only must-change thing about the original are the coarse pitch sliders for oscillator tuning, and maybe make the fine tuning more precise too. If you've ever used one, you quickly find out how frustrating it is to get the thing in tune. Any sane redesign would at least have a center detent.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
I, too, prefer the orange and black colors. But any remake needs to have the original slider knobs - not those color replacements - albeit once that don't break. The originals were notoriously flimsy (which is why you see so many current pics of MKIIIs with no knobs, or replacement ones.

Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
I prefer the MK2 black and gold-
but looking at the mark III, I wondered what put me off it- the sides (make them black and it works for me)
Here's one with wood replacements - this would be awesome, but I frankly don't expect anything other than plastic from Korg.

Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
I agree with what another poster stated. After the release of the Odyssey create a new 'modern' analog with patch memory, velocity an aftertouch, midi implementation, etc, etc.
In fact, produce a Chroma II with dual oscillators and filters, so you don't have to stack voices for big complex sounds.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Here's one with wood replacements - this would be awesome, but I frankly don't expect anything other than plastic from Korg.

That's NICE!

as for the knobs- I am a fan of the Dave Formula/Andy Robbins look

Though ergonomically- I wonder if the Macbeth M5 slider caps would work better
hmmmm....
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

I really like the colour coded sliders. I hope Korg sticks with the ones in the proto photo.

I would not mind the black-orange version. There's something about this spartan rawness that I like. But my favourite would be the one already shown in the prototype.

Full size keys or no buy, though.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post

Full size keys or no buy, though.
+1.

Minikeys are worthless to me. A combination of 50 years of piano/keyboard playing along with stubby fingers makes minikeys look like something made for children. Small children.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

Yeah. Bollocks to small keys!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search