The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First track release - does my contract sound good? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th February 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
ive never seen a small dance music contract that said you have to pay for costs yourself before profit , although that is more common on larger labels and contracts .

obviously as your just starting out , small soundcloud type edm procuder profits will be small so never ever sign anything talking about that

as for weather they promote you well , again its luck of the draw but if your getting no promotion at all now what do you have to loose
Old 28th February 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Ah ok thanks all, and totally appreciate the "nothing personal" advice, wasnt suggesting it was personal just trying to filter out echo-chamber from those with some expierience. Really appreciate your time here.

It seems there's a split between those who say "this is a standard deal for new producers" and "this is a s***y deal" (with apologies to goldman sachs).... of course the two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm totally happy to look at it as free promotion, expect no money. I'm just looking to shave anything unreasianble out of the contract if possible, based on almost zero leverage - best I can come up with is

"look, i'm an active promoter, i have an email list of 100 of the best house blogs but i have to decide whether to spend time promoting this or working on the next 30 tracks, getting only 25% of income after undefined net profits is the only unusual part of this contract, if you give me a more standard split it'll be easier for me to justify days treking around the virtual streets of the internet flogging our track...."
Old 28th February 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 

It's one track. I'd just sign it and hope for the best.
You can always make more tracks and the chance of it becoming a worldwide money-making hit is so infitesimally small that it's not worth considering (sorry, just being honest).

With the few EPs I've had released I've only ever signed 1 contract and that one hasn't even come out yet.
It's all been without contracts so far, but I'm happy with how things are going and I'm just glad to have my music out on vinyl.

Of course, ask questions if you're concerned, but I'd think the benefits of signing it would outweigh the risks?
Old 28th February 2014
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

The best way to look at contracts is this:

In 5 years time your career will hopefully be going well and you may well be using the same artist name. If you have a loose contract for your earlier releases it is possible that the label could cash in on your new found status by remixing your track, licensing out said remixes to compilations and rinsing the release costs out of it while you get nothing. I've seen it happen many times.

If they won't change the splits, ask to have the length of contract reduced to 5 years. IMO any more than 5 years without an advance is too much.


If you're not too bothered about making cash, you only want exposure, and you have a mailing list - give the track away.

Better to give it to 300 people than sell it to 50.
Old 28th February 2014
  #35
Gear Nut
 

i tell you what will happen:

1. you send them the contract and your track
2. they will upload it on itunes, beatport, youtube, soundcloud, facebook
3. they will send out a newsletter to some djs and blogs

job done in 30 minutes. moving to the next release.

4. in march 2015 you will be informed that your track sold 50 times and your payment isnt possible because of the $100 limit
Old 3rd March 2014
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

How did the negotiation go?
Old 3rd March 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Funny you should ask. I just put my bid in three hours ago. I promise to keep you all updated, in the most honest terms.

My "offer" was damn humble. That said having googled more than i did last week (which was quite a bit!) I see the label looks to be associated with some hardcore talent. Tick tock!

T+3 hours: nothing back. s***ing myself.
Old 3rd March 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
OK, it all worked out fine. Deets to follow, most likely April 2014
Old 4th March 2014
  #39
Wildfunk
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I see the label looks to be associated with some hardcore talent.
Lenny Dee?
Old 4th March 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Hadnt heard that name before. He's on a whole other level, his fanbase must be ketted up to the eyeballs. Not my cup of tea to be honest.

Old 4th March 2014
  #41
Wildfunk
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Hadnt heard that name before. He's on a whole other level, his fanbase must be ketted up to the eyeballs. Not my cup of tea to be honest.
This Lenny Dee

Old 9th April 2014
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
OK, it all worked out fine. Deets to follow, most likely April 2014
So, what ended up happening with this? Details please!
Old 9th April 2014
  #43
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
PROMISE i will post here when it's released, it's just a humble little house track but a world of excitement for a bedroom guy like me to be released... shoudl be 1-2 weeks.
Old 9th April 2014
  #44
you should only get 25% of the remix track your original should obtain at least 60% imo


that whole promotion thing is stupid...


7 years is way too long on a dance release.... how was your release 7 years ago?

imo, unless they have super fan base you must get with.. release it solo have a buddy remix it. I am willing to stretch out and say they will never let you cap 100. Most people I know never hit 100 on a single. That goes for guys who were slammin hot in the early 2,000 to.
Old 9th April 2014
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0REZ View Post
i tell you what will happen:

1. you send them the contract and your track
2. they will upload it on itunes, beatport, youtube, soundcloud, facebook
3. they will send out a newsletter to some djs and blogs

job done in 30 minutes. moving to the next release.

4. in march 2015 you will be informed that your track sold 50 times and your payment isnt possible because of the $100 limit
see it happen daily!
Old 9th April 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
You mean.... maybe I shouldnt have quit my job today and told my boss to ******* **** *** **** ***? Damn...
Old 9th April 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Kindred's Avatar
 

A lot of comments on here are bang on. Based on the sales of the average dance music release, we are talking about around $10-20 net to you unless your track breaks out. It's literally not worth worrying about. Either go with the label and get the exposure or concentrate on releasing your own stuff. The idea of releasing on this label either works for you or it doesn't - worrying about a few bucks here and there won't be worth it - hand over the track and spend the time you would have spent getting a few extra points back in the contract on making more tracks for more labels.

The only exception is you need to get that minimum $100 clause taken out. That is a cheeky and exploitative term because the label would know that most releases/artists won't break $100 so it's pure profit for them. With that $100 clause in there, unless you are happy to loss-lead and not worry about getting money for this release (due to perceived benefits promo-wise), you will in all likelihood not see a cent.

And to that person who suggested consulting a lawyer...really? I literally can't believe I just read that.
Old 9th April 2014
  #48
Wildfunk
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
that whole promotion thing is stupid...
I'm sure he can promote his track too BUT only spreading the official links from the label.
Old 9th April 2014
  #49
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Thanks all - given that i'm not choosing to smash the system today and none of you are telling me a better way to get an official deal, I'm v. happy with what I've done, and with the label. I dont think I will be constrained in promoting activities so all of the self-promotion advice applies either way.

I will now spend effort making more music instead

The advice on how bad the deal was was infintely more useful before I signed the contract but thanks anyway

George
Old 9th April 2014
  #50
Wildfunk
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
and none of you are telling me a better way to get an official deal
Sign yourself!

Will you post links here when it's released?
Old 9th April 2014
  #51
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfunk View Post
Sign yourself!
I'm trying to cut down on that a bit these days tbh

Yes will post a link

Hey thanks for the great deep house pack btw, had quite a few jams on that already, will let you know if i put anything up with them in.
Old 9th April 2014
  #52
Lives for gear
why not?
in my experience, there is an added bonus to had affiliations with a label: you look more official, its easier to book you to raves cause the booking ppl can say , yeah he had some releases out XXXX records, instead of yeah, he has some nice tunes on soundcloud. if u send a request to youre favorite producer to ask him for a remix in the future he will be more likely to do it cause you stand out from all the bedroom/beatport guys. same goes with journos, studios etc etc

that is a fact a lot of u guys overlook. having a deal actually means someone out there is investing time, prestige and maybe money for you to look good so they in return look good. quid pro quo.

build a name of that and then release the material youreself, cause then you are someone, someone official (if youre lucky).

if i had a deal like that i would take it just to expand and add some weight to my name.

i turned down a deal once, cause the label were some greedy incompetent desperate types who had just lost all theyre big artist to bigger labels. ( wich was very understandable seeing as how they could not take them further in the bisniss being all small time.)

a female musician took a deal similar to what we turned down and ended up having to pay the greedy bastards 25% off the sales of the vinyl, when the label had contributed no $$ in production print or promo (other then the mail outs to blogs, newsoutlets etc etc)

so yhm youre deal, though not tooo good isnt half bad.
Old 9th April 2014
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakapow View Post
why not?
in my experience, there is an added bonus to had affiliations with a label: you look more official, its easier to book you to raves cause the booking ppl can say , yeah he had some releases out XXXX records, instead of yeah, he has some nice tunes on soundcloud. if u send a request to youre favorite producer to ask him for a remix in the future he will be more likely to do it cause you stand out from all the bedroom/beatport guys. same goes with journos, studios etc etc

that is a fact a lot of u guys overlook. having a deal actually means someone out there is investing time, prestige and maybe money for you to look good so they in return look good. quid pro quo.

build a name of that and then release the material youreself, cause then you are someone, someone official (if youre lucky).

if i had a deal like that i would take it just to expand and add some weight to my name.

i turned down a deal once, cause the label were some greedy incompetent desperate types who had just lost all theyre big artist to bigger labels. ( wich was very understandable seeing as how they could not take them further in the bisniss being all small time.)

a female musician took a deal similar to what we turned down and ended up having to pay the greedy bastards 25% off the sales of the vinyl, when the label had contributed no $$ in production print or promo (other then the mail outs to blogs, newsoutlets etc etc)

so yhm youre deal, though not tooo good isnt half bad.
Not to be the sour puss, but nothing ruins a flyer more than tons of affiliates.
Old 9th April 2014
  #54
Lives for gear
yh, but u get my point still
Old 19th April 2014
  #55
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
OK guys, if anyone's interested they can check it out here, it was released yesterday, please dont mention artist / label names though if that's OK, would feel wrong if this thread came up in a google (esp. as I've discussed the contract in some detail).

Check out the other tracks from these guys too, they are great, and there are a couple of great mixes from the label head around too (try here or here for starters), real oldskool chicago disco house.

Thanks all
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump