The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
French House Machines Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

Having been through this process myself, as I have almost his exact setup (S900 + S760 + Mackie +3630 +Dp4 etc)
I can say you really just gotta prepare yourself for the trial and error that comes with learning routing. This will take
time and a fair amount of reading but will be of great benefit. Hard to be led through this step by step as you will
need to learn the gear inside out in order to modify the setup, as you will see he does from one vid to the next.

S760 has a great filter but is a headache to work with to say the least. S900 is textured/simple and you can get them for cheap.
DP4 is just a gem of a machine. 3630 can nail that pump or make everything sound terrible lol...use carefully!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

I know this going to sound really boring. But you couldn't go wrong buying this.

Dance Music Production

It will help you understand all the basics of connecting a studio plus signal flow,
basic subtractive synthesis, sampling and effects.

I made the mistake when i started 10 years ago of buying everything at once and being completely unproductive for years.

I would recommend Maschine and maybe one mono but something that has patch memory so you could learn by reverse engineering them. Something like
a Moog Little Phatty.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E.L.B. View Post
But what about hooking up the mixer, sampler, compressor and the Ensoniq for use with Ableton? Man I hope I don't sound like an idiot when posting this haha.
There are a zillion options for this.

You can hook up everything to the mixer. Your audio interface (which is a nice word for "soundcard intended for music production" to separate it from "5.1 gaming soundcards" or "on-board crap") then only needs two inputs since the mixer will have two main outputs. However, if both the sampler and the synth are playing at the same time and you want to record that, you don't get 2 separate recordings. It's like buying cake; you can't un-bake it back into eggs, flour and butter anymore.

You can skip a mixer entirely and buy an audio interface with say, 8 inputs. The audio interface will then take over the role of the mixer - you control the volume of each part in Ableton. The neat thing is that each part will then be recorded separately so you can apply FX or edit parts afterwards. The not so neat thing is that your computer will have to be switched on at all times if you want to record or play. Since you work with Ableton already you need it to be switched on already to even make music.

To make matters worse: Some mixers come with built-in audio interfaces. For some expensive mixers, you get the whole separate recording stuff. For cheap ones, you get only a stereo recording (and the latency is utter crap).

So it's a matter of preference, convenience and budget. Personally I think a good audio interface with lots of inputs trumps most mixers, though the Mackie sound and slight overdrive may be harder to pull off with plugins.

Another option is to get a big audio interface and a mixer, then record the audio separately, then use the separate outputs of the audio interface and run them through the Mackie, and record the result of that back into the audio interface (so you need at least 10 inputs and 8 outputs). Best of both worlds. Not cheap though.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The not so neat thing is that your computer will have to be switched on at all times if you want to record or play. Since you work with Ableton already you need it to be switched on already to even make music.
not necessarily true.. my Mbox Pro & Apollo allow standalone operation & can even store EQ/FX settings.. they are rather high-end but more & more interfaces support that (thank god)..

with OP's budget which is really tiny for what he's asking for, I'd advise a Mackie mixer (1202/1402) and a quality 2 channel audio interface for mixdown. Actually with Renaissance you could knock down several trees at once since it has a built-in interface, 4 midi outs, 16 multi-use knobs that can be used for mixing & of course the drum machine & sampler controller/software. Nice thing is you track through USB so no patching or latency issues..
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
not necessarily true..
The hardest thing about trying to explain this stuff to newbies is to prevent yourself from listing all possible exceptions. Let's get to the point first where we can recommend them an interface and then worry about the details.

The majority of interfaces are paperweights when they're not connected and it's a reasonable assumption to make .
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

well i just thought it was important to mention there are standalone interfaces and that might be an option OP would like to check out (it was pretty much a deal breaker if it couldn't for me) I've given OP quite a few specific options as well but the best advice i told him via PM was to just go visit a local pro audio department and ask questions there.. (let's face it there are better suited people to answer stuff like "what cables do i need to hook up A to B" )
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

i made these fh tracks last year after getting a korg es1 sampler, its a really fun and fast sampler to make little tracks on. All the controls on the front. i think the esx1 would be better tho with less limitations. but if all the knobs etc arent important to you i recommend an mpc 1000 with the jjos.
i arranged the tracks into a set and performed them live

Spinxy - korg es1 french house live - YouTube
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

Is there a major difference between Maschine and Ableton Push for French House music production?

I'll buy that Dance Music Manual, cheers.

@your mother: That's really cool!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search