The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Volca Keys + MIDI controller? Keyboard Controllers
Old 1st February 2014
Gear interested

Volca Keys + MIDI controller?

i bought a volca keys hoping to use my minibrute as a controller. quickly learned that won't work, so i'm looking into a midi controller... but i've heard people complain about a volume drop when using a controller with the volca keys; similar voltage stuff that made me have to SLAM on the minibrute keys to get anything close to full volume out of the volca.

can anyone recommend a barebones controller that works flawlessly with the volca keys? if there are issues across the board i may return the volca and try for something else polyphonic and inexpensive... cannot hang with that built-in "keyboard..."

thanks y'all...
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Nut

I use volca keys with minibrute to play keys , what's the problem ?
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, what's the problem you're having?
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Raise the volume of the volca keys then
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Maniac

It sounds like the inbuilt Volca keyboard is always outputting close to maximum 127 MIDI velocity. So when using a typical velocity-sensitive external keyboard, you're not usually getting full volume.

Set your external MIDI keyboard to output full velocity all the time and see if that fixes it. Then if you still want some velocity control, use a keyboard which can be set to low touch sensitivity - then you'll have to press less hard to get louder MIDI volumes.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

lol @ how this topic is right on the money with what I just did! -->last night, I played with my Minibrute and Volca Keys for the first time, using the CV for clock timing and MIDI for external keyboard. It all worked OK to me - although I am using an Akai MPK25 via Ableton Live 9 as the master clock source.

Here's the concept recording I made - (this is raw, unedited and concept only - full of bad key presses and mistakes):
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

got a midi-problem with my Volca Keys + iCon iKeyboard 4.

the Midi Keyboard does not follow the octave knob is that right? its always playing the same octave that sucks...what am i doin wrong?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmvnyl1fe View Post
got a midi-problem with my Volca Keys + iCon iKeyboard 4.

the Midi Keyboard does not follow the octave knob is that right? its always playing the same octave that sucks...what am i doin wrong?
Are you changing the octave knob on the Volca or your midi controller?

The one on the Volca is just controlling the keyboard on the Volca your controller should be sending out note data in whatever octave it's set for and the Volca should respond
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

yeah right, doing that on the icon keys and the volca does not respond.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

the keyboard on the volca plays all octaves as it should.
the pitch on the icon does work, so its sending data but it does not get the pitch data of the volca...i got it from ebay today and reseted it to fact settings...mh any idea?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search