The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Valhalla room or Valhalla vintage verb for house?
Old 11th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
all good reverbs i know are mono compatible. But if not, and when you want a mono reverb anyway, just use one side of the output and pan it to to the middle.

Stereo rooms are there to create width..mono rooms are there to create depth.. At least it was done in the old days like that. So with real rooms or EMT Plates. One stereo plate with a short setting and a mono one with a longer setting was standard and work especially well for this purpose.. So a mono EMT plate is no limitation when you use it for its purpose as depth generator and another reverb for the width..

the vallhalla room is especially good for width..better than the vintage one..which might be a choice for a mono depth generator.. at least it reminds more to a emt plate in some settings.. But.. i never tried that sofar..

For house i actually would think the room is the better choice since it sounds more modern and house was always about a fresh sound..not an old fashioned sound. But thats a question of taste. In house music you find every vintage reverb that ever has hit the market. But any modern 3 dimensional sound will suit the music well too.

MAybe you need booth ;-)
Old 11th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i recommend vintage. its better and valhalla room for your music
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think I probably will try the others too.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The obvious answer is all of them.
Old 12th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This thread got me to finally stop procrastinating and buy both VVV and VRoom. Thanks guys!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here's the first track I mixed using Valhalla Vintage. I used it on pretty much every instance of reverb in the track. The only exceptions were the vocals (they had a mix of Valhalla Vintage and some real spring verb) and the guitars (UAD EMT 140 plate). I probably used 8-10 different instances of VV. Needless to say, I really love this plugin, I spend a lot less time trying to get a usable reverb sound. I used to add other effects to my reverb chain to get the warmth and character that I was looking for, but VV sounds good all on its own.

Old 16th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother View Post
Nice filters on the reverb is important if run it as insert and don't want to eq the whole signal. Im I right?
Nope. Insert effects affect the entire signal. This would happen on a send, though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Nope. Insert effects affect the entire signal. This would happen on a send, though.
That's what he's saying - if you're using reverb as an insert, you can't just use an EQ to cut frequencies because the entire signal will be affected. That's why he said the reverb should have good filters built in, so you don't have to run it as an send!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
That's what he's saying - if you're using reverb as an insert, you can't just use an EQ to cut frequencies because the entire signal will be affected. That's why he said the reverb should have good filters built in, so you don't have to run it as an send!
If you insert reverb on a track, and it has a lo-cut filter, it cuts the lows on everything on that track. So putting a filter in a reverb for this purpose does nothing. Ie, building in filters into a reverb where 100% of the audio is passing thru it (ie, inserts), will affect 100% of the audio. Problem not solved.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
If you insert reverb on a track, and it has a lo-cut filter, it cuts the lows on everything on that track. So putting a filter in a reverb for this purpose does nothing. Ie, building in filters into a reverb where 100% of the audio is passing thru it (ie, inserts), will affect 100% of the audio. Problem not solved.
Why would you run it as 100% wet? That would be the same as sending it to an aux pre fader and turning the fader of the track all the way down. Then a filter on the aux will affect the whole signal as well. Using a reverb that has built in filters as an insert will be the same as using a send and putting a filter after (or before, depending on where the filter is in the reverb plugin) the reverb on the aux.
Old 17th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a ton of reverbs installed and the only 2 I use are Valhalla and rev 250. But 9/10 times it is Valhalla. Great verb. I never use a insert for effects. Just allows me to send as much of the signal to the fx as I want. Plus I can send multiple signals to that send. I used to use inserts only when I starting out until my engineer I was interning for taught me easier way. This was fifteen years ago.

Btw you guys should try Rev250 sounds good. Plus has some nice chorus, echo. Nice dark effects. Emulation of the emt 250. Much better then the empty room 250 IMO. But not better then Valhalla vintage by no means.
Old 19th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Using a reverb that has built in filters as an insert will be the same as using a send and putting a filter after (or before, depending on where the filter is in the reverb plugin) the reverb on the aux.
So why not just do this? Can you give me a reason (or an example of) why you wouldn't just use the send in the way you describe? Again, all audio going thru the reverb as an insert (even if not 100% wet), will be effected. So why not just add your own EQ?
Lives for gear

This is nonsense. Why would I ever use the filter coded by a reverb and delay guy when I have a plethora of fancy EQ and filter plug-ins to choose from?

All plugins have their strengths and should be used accordingly.

For instance Logic's own Space Designer convolution reverb comes with a built in filter and EQ which is absolute rubbish. And I'm not even British but still say it's rubbish.

Also if you're using the filter for instance on Vahalla room, aren't you only filtering the wet portion of the signal not the dry as well? So conceivably if reverb plug-ins had fantastic filters it could be done but they don't so what's the point of arguing about it? Bollocks!!!
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Why would I ever use the filter coded by a reverb and delay guy when I have a plethora of fancy EQ and filter plug-ins to choose from?
EXACTLY.

During the development stage of ValhallaRoom, I had a more full-fledged EQ section in there, with higher order shelving orders. It didn't sound good. At all. Meanwhile, there are developers that specialize in high quality EQs, including a highly regarded free option that was recently introduced.

The EQ sections in my reverbs are designed for broad spectral changes. For fine level tuning, I presume that people will use the tools best suited for this purpose. External EQs, a compressor on the send, tape saturation, whatever works for people. I'll focus on what I am good at, and let other developers do what they are good at, and it will work out best for the people making the music.

"I...I just do eyes!"
📝 Reply