The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-audio Trigger Finger Pro
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

I really wish the Air drums was available as a plugin. Efficient and intuitive little tool for drums.
Old 3rd September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I picked up the TFP on sale at Sam Ash about 8-9 months ago for $170, and as a standalone MIDI controller it's an absolute great deal at that price IMHO. The pads are amazing, the step sequencer is super-f'n cool, and the build-quality is actually quite surprising for M-Audio (a hell of a lot more solid than the first generation Trigger Finger).

I use it as a pad controller and hardware sequencer in Reason for Kong and ReDrum. I've got a Nektar Panorama P4 as my main controller, but the pads never felt satisfactory (and were missing 4).

I do agree with the previous poster than the TFP is likely being discontinued. Everyone in the US with the exception of a few list it as "discontinued" or "no longer available". That's pretty telling right there, no speculation required.
Old 6th September 2015
mvl
Here for the gear

I shall pile on with criticism here, because I would like to warn potential "bargain" hunters. I got one of these recently for $150 at Guitar Center in San Jose CA thinking, "it's a good deal -- almost too good". Working with it however has convinced me that it's crap - I'd return it if I felt like it was worth my time. How could M-Audio have taken something like the original trigger finger, which was/is much beloved by producers and musicians and still used by many today because it's a solid & clever piece of kit that did something cool -- and instead delivered something that was so damn bad? OH right... M-audio got reamed by Avid, which reamed Digidesign, and now it's all corporate dumbware with no soul.

I have owned _so_ many drum machines and controllers, starting with old Boss & Roland gear from the 80's. Currently I have the NI Maschine, Abelton Push, and many others. I know what a good rhythm controller should feel like (some Akai MPDs for example). The TFP is cheap feeling. How they could have asked $400 for it initially boggles the mind. Greed I guess.

My experience:
- The drum pads (on big molded rubber thing) slide around under the front panel. Just a little, but enough to feel really cheap.
- Out of the box, the buttons (such as play) are triggering midi notes. WTF. Using it with Logic and Live. I know this is just mapping, but really? why should I have to remap things that should obviously be CCs and not notes? Sloppy.
- At some point one of the assingable control buttons (under fader 4) randomly switched function and started setting my channel output for the entire plugin to only left or right (but only when held down, not toggled). The control for it was actually set to enable/disable an effect. Maybe this was the Arsenal software which I was using, but it was unexpected and mysteriously went away after restarting Logic.
- There appears to be no quantization for inputing to the sequencer. You're stuck with the time division options supplied, which affect everything. Yes I can still use the pads to input to my DAW sequencer, but there seems to be no way to get anything other than strict tempo + swing. Maybe other devices (Maschine, Elecktron) have spoiled me. The sad thing is, most of this, other than the hardware feel of the pads, could be fixed by firmware, but there has never been anything but a 1.0 and probably never will be. Too bad.

I know -- it's just $150. M-Audio tried to pack a bunch of features into this thing, but utterly failed in the execution and now they don't care. I would a) consider the Arturia Beat Step Pro if you want something with a step sequencer (it has CV I/O!) or 2) get an AKAI MPD if you want pads or 3) by an NI mikro maschine if you need more. There are a lot of cool things coming out now, but at the same time it's being flooded with big name garbage.

Love,
Mr. Bitter
Old 7th September 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvl View Post
I shall pile on with criticism here, because I would like to warn potential "bargain" hunters. I got one of these recently for $150 at Guitar Center in San Jose CA thinking, "it's a good deal -- almost too good". Working with it however has convinced me that it's crap - I'd return it if I felt like it was worth my time. How could M-Audio have taken something like the original trigger finger, which was/is much beloved by producers and musicians and still used by many today because it's a solid & clever piece of kit that did something cool -- and instead delivered something that was so damn bad? OH right... M-audio got reamed by Avid, which reamed Digidesign, and now it's all corporate dumbware with no soul.

I have owned _so_ many drum machines and controllers, starting with old Boss & Roland gear from the 80's. Currently I have the NI Maschine, Abelton Push, and many others. I know what a good rhythm controller should feel like (some Akai MPDs for example). The TFP is cheap feeling. How they could have asked $400 for it initially boggles the mind. Greed I guess.

My experience:
- The drum pads (on big molded rubber thing) slide around under the front panel. Just a little, but enough to feel really cheap.
- Out of the box, the buttons (such as play) are triggering midi notes. WTF. Using it with Logic and Live. I know this is just mapping, but really? why should I have to remap things that should obviously be CCs and not notes? Sloppy.
- At some point one of the assingable control buttons (under fader 4) randomly switched function and started setting my channel output for the entire plugin to only left or right (but only when held down, not toggled). The control for it was actually set to enable/disable an effect. Maybe this was the Arsenal software which I was using, but it was unexpected and mysteriously went away after restarting Logic.
- There appears to be no quantization for inputing to the sequencer. You're stuck with the time division options supplied, which affect everything. Yes I can still use the pads to input to my DAW sequencer, but there seems to be no way to get anything other than strict tempo + swing. Maybe other devices (Maschine, Elecktron) have spoiled me. The sad thing is, most of this, other than the hardware feel of the pads, could be fixed by firmware, but there has never been anything but a 1.0 and probably never will be. Too bad.

I know -- it's just $150. M-Audio tried to pack a bunch of features into this thing, but utterly failed in the execution and now they don't care. I would a) consider the Arturia Beat Step Pro if you want something with a step sequencer (it has CV I/O!) or 2) get an AKAI MPD if you want pads or 3) by an NI mikro maschine if you need more. There are a lot of cool things coming out now, but at the same time it's being flooded with big name garbage.

Love,
Mr. Bitter
Well that answers my question! Thanks. Exactly what I don't need. A bunch of features packed in...
Idk, if it's the OG TF that I'm not exactly satisfied with, or if it's my system, or if a hq midi interface would do the trick...

I just want a responsive feeling pads and that is articulate and accurate for taping out rhythms in real time(fingers and sticks). The Kat thing looks like it could do it, but I'm skeptical.
Old 7th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvl View Post

My experience:

Love,
Mr. Bitter
You are bitter!

That's not been my experience at all with the TFP; for $150, you could do worse. Pads feel great to me, but truth be told - I never owned Push or Maschine (which tends to be the popular controllers). If I could pick up a Push for $150 USD though, I'd slap Retouch Control on it and be on my way!
Old 14th September 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman
You are bitter!

That's not been my experience at all with the TFP; for $150, you could do worse. Pads feel great to me, but truth be told - I never owned Push or Maschine (which tends to be the popular controllers). If I could pick up a Push for $150 USD though, I'd slap Retouch Control on it and be on my way!
I totally agree, Mr.Bitter should change his name to Mr.Picky.

I got mine last week and it opened up a new world of possibilities that I didn't know existed. Above all, workflow. I do EDM and this thing has enabled me to punch in beats, samples in Ableton super fast. The build is excellent. and you can control the level/pan on the fly, which actually makes a huge difference.

The best thing about the pads is they're not too light (like Maschine) this enables you do get a much more dynamic range with velocity and more feel than Maschine IMO.
Old 14th September 2015 | Show parent
Not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
I totally agree, Mr.Bitter should change his name to Mr.Picky.

I got mine last week and it opened up a new world of possibilities that I didn't know existed. Above all, workflow. I do EDM and this thing has enabled me to punch in beats, samples in Ableton super fast. The build is excellent. and you can control the level/pan on the fly, which actually makes a huge difference.

The best thing about the pads is they're not too light (like Maschine) this enables you do get a much more dynamic range with velocity and more feel than Maschine IMO.
??
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head
Go with the Korg pafKontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I just want pads (on a midi interface) that are acurate and tight performing.
I had the original TF, never had a chance to use the TFP but I highly recommend the Korg padKontrol. Pads feel great, its got an XY pad and the pad assignment and general programming is very well laid out and easy to comprehend.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
Cool, thanks! So the korg feels nicer?

Ive liked TF, been getting be for a while with it. My problem is more of a performance thing. I think it is either with the actual midi interface part of TF, or my system. Slower groves are ok, but it gets a bit stuttery with faster rolls and stuff like that. Did you ever have that problem.

I'm interested in the pad that KAT makes.
Old 28th January 2016
Here for the gear
Hi guys. dont know if anyone will read this, the thread seems old.
But i got me an TFP for a cheap 129 eur,- a few days ago.
and here is what i think of it so far:

For this price, good deal, good maufacturing . the pads are quite good, i think they are the same as in akai´s products.i used a korg pad kontrol for a couple of weeks, i didnt like the pads very much also i didnt like the look of it
( like piece of 80s plastic casio kids synthesizer, but thats just my opinion, i like it , when the thing i use a lot for production and sitting in front of my face all the time, is a pleasure for the eye) i also used an mpc 2000xl se for a couple of years, so i can tell the TFP pads are quite equal , just a lil bit harder ( maybe because they are fresh out the box)

i like the feeling of the knobs and buttons, the faders are pretty cheap but do the job, the display is a must( its not the best and should be adjustable angle like the mpc 2000xl and up), esp for the seq. since i mostly use the TFP to controll kong/redrum in reason, i dont use the sequencer very much. and i wouldnt if i needed to, because its crap.
its complicated to use and causes tons of problems with midi clock.

reason 5 ( which i use) is not able to send external midi signal, so i have use the TFP in external( in order to use the step sequencer in "sync" to reason), when i want do use reason in sync, and there start the problems, its not very synchron. it will soon get async. so u have to record and quantize in ur daw, like most people here already mentioned, which makes the step sequencer obsolete. it just doesnt make much sense to use my daw synths with tfp´s step sequencer, when i have to assign evry single note via pads to the seqencer, just to have them recorded back into my daw and quantize them there. better use daw step sequencer and avoid this hassle.

my conclusion is. for 129,- eur , u get a nice quality pad controller with a bunch of nice features and a pack of vst/sounds ( which i dont use anyways, i hate loop-presets and such garbage and reason 5 doesnt support vst anyways) it has its flaws when it comes to midi sync and using the step sequencer on the fly ( which is in fact , impossible)

When i look at the original estimated price ( about 400 eur? am i right?) i would have returned this piece of overpriced electronics, the next day after i would have bought it for original price. but again for 129 eur..u cant go wrong.BUT.if u have 60 eur more in ur budget, better get the mpd 226, or if u look for step sequencer included, arturia, korg..or for a lil more money mpd232.
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear

Major pain in the *ss w Logic at least. This kind of thing just drives me insane - by all rights it should be simpler and easier to integrate than my MPC 1000 but the experience is abysmal. Unfriendly, annoying, irritating beyond belief. The hardware feels fine, well made, but the software on the computer side as well as the internal software/interface/whatever seem designed to confound. Where the MPC is friendly and warm this thing is cold and aggravating, I swear I feel like the machine and software are telling me to go **** myself. All I freakin want it to do is start the internal sequencer when I hit record in Logic, or start Logic recording w the dang RECORD button on the TFP! If I'm an idiot for not figuring this out after two hours of futzing - with manuals and internet available - I say screw it. The MPC had a learning curve but was fun at every step. This thing feels built to confound.

M-Audio's customer support was amazing, btw, I was given a TFP as a gift and lost the manual, registration, etc in a recent move. They hooked me up, but the software immediately gave me errors, it's ugly, confusing and counter-productive. All I wanted was to dump some samples in and mess around w logic on my other computer that's not in the studio. I'm bald and I was wishing I had hair to pull out.

Your mileage may vary - maybe you're younger w more time to kill. Ugh.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

I still think it's such a shame they let this die, the feature set, build and that little step sequencer could have really grown into a sweet niche for them but instead....the great ebay/craigslist landfill.
Old 29th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I still think it's such a shame they let this die, the feature set, build and that little step sequencer could have really grown into a sweet niche for them but instead....the great ebay/craigslist landfill.
M Audio has achieved Behringer status with me. Everything of theirs I have bought has either failed, had quirks, or been abandoned by the company prematurely. Definitely on the 'no buy at any price' list.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Head

While digging through the M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro forum I found a post saying that using a 6V external power supply in addition to the typical USB connection fixed the timing issue when using the sequencer. I bought a cheap PSU from Amazon to give this a shot and I'm happy to report that this has worked so far.

This thing is finally syncing up like I always thought it should, with Live 9.7 being the master clock and sequences on the hardware staying in time with the software. Tempo changes stayed in sync as well.

If you have one of these collecting dust like I did, spend $10 on a PSU and breathe some life back into it!
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBomber View Post
While digging through the M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro forum I found a post saying that using a 6V external power supply in addition to the typical USB connection fixed the timing issue when using the sequencer. I bought a cheap PSU from Amazon to give this a shot and I'm happy to report that this has worked so far.

This thing is finally syncing up like I always thought it should, with Live 9.7 being the master clock and sequences on the hardware staying in time with the software. Tempo changes stayed in sync as well.

If you have one of these collecting dust like I did, spend $10 on a PSU and breathe some life back into it!
Thanks for the tip, TacoBomber! Might give this a try, though in Reason all I had to do was turn off "send playback position" off, and it syncs fine.
📝 Reply