The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Sub 37
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
any users that still own this care to comment on how it holds up?
I've had one since the year they came out. A lot of analog monosynths have come out in the years since - they look cool, they have nice features, but I never feel like my Sub 37 has left me wanting. The Pro 2 made a real strong case, but I stayed strong.
Old 3 weeks ago
eb7
Lives for gear

I have three other Moog synths, and the Sub 37 still has its place.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also picked mine up early on. I waffled a couple times, thinking about swapping it for another grass is greener synth, but always came back to my senses... the Sub-37 stays. It helps that I got a great deal on mine. Plus, it was MY FOURTH unit because the 1st 3 had issues, so I kind of bonded with it out of desperation and frustration, finally getting MY 37.

I have it controlling the MS-20M... here's an older pic before I also got a Matriarch and they're now all on the same table, with the 37 in the slide-out tray below the M.

I really want to send it in to Moog for the $350 keyboard and sound engine (headroom) upgrades, but it just seems kind of expensive as it's still not a Fatar kb upgrade and money is very tight. Then, when I play the 37, I seem to get by fine, just a little clacky is all. And, the little screen isn't my favorite, but, again, functional.

I absolutely love the panel, and it still has my favorite Cutoff Filter BIG KNOB and FEEL of ANY synth I've ever played, bar none. They did this C/O knob right. So much fun to just TURN and TWIST!
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Sub 37-pairing_moog-sub-37-korg-ms-20m.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine hasn't seen much action, especially since the Grandmother came out, but I don't think I'd sell it. I was looking at it sitting on a wooden shelf the other day thinking it's probably the best-looking synth I've got.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Mine hasn't seen much action, especially since the Grandmother came out, but I don't think I'd sell it. I was looking at it sitting on a wooden shelf the other day thinking it's probably the best-looking synth I've got.
I made a specific effort to record my Sub-37 with the Matriarch on a "duet" album. Some songs the 37 had bass duties, other songs the M. Same for lead/melody. Same for drones. Pads/strings were left to the M.

It was a lot of fun recording these two together, so I'd imagine it could be the same for you and the 37 with your GM. Hook them up next to each other and give it a go. I found a renewed appreciation for the Sub-37 during these sessions.

The 37 hangs VERY well with M and they each have sonic, timbral and tones differences making the tracks work very well together, but clearly a Moog affair.

As an aside, I'm actually really enjoying recording individual synths as well as pairings on songs. I find knowing the synth that I'm listening to on a track gives it much more interest for me. I get to experience its character in many different arrangement circumstances, and it deepens my connection with the synth - and the music. As opposed to just tracking whatever synth will convey this part best, which could involve a whole mix of different synths that are not always so easy to separate out and hear individually in a mix, making it a more non-synth specific recording, like mosts songs are.

The simplicity and focus on one or two synth "voices" as the main characters in songs really appeals to me, on others' music as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I made a specific effort to record my Sub-37 with the Matriarch on a "duet" album. Some songs the 37 had bass duties, other songs the M. Same for lead/melody. Same for drones. Pads/strings were left to the M.

It was a lot of fun recording these two together, so I'd imagine it could be the same for you and the 37 with your GM. Hook them up next to each other and give it a go. I found a renewed appreciation for the Sub-37 during these sessions.

The 37 hangs VERY well with M and they each have sonic, timbral and tones differences making the tracks work very well together, but clearly a Moog affair.
That's interesting. I have GM with a Matriarch and was trying just last night to find tones that fit well together. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. I'll definitely give the Sub37 a try.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I bought mine when it came out so it is officially the synth I have had the longest (despite 36 years of synth buying and selling). It is a good looking machine but I have thought of selling it many times as I'm not that fond of its sound. I also had several quality issues with it (failing cut off pot, failing mod switch). That's particularly sad as I have no problems with my much cheaper Uli synths. But for some reason its still here... and it will probably stay :-).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Also picked mine up early on. I waffled a couple times, thinking about swapping it for another grass is greener synth, but always came back to my senses... the Sub-37 stays. It helps that I got a great deal on mine. Plus, it was MY FOURTH unit because the 1st 3 had issues, so I kind of bonded with it out of desperation and frustration, finally getting MY 37.

I have it controlling the MS-20M... here's an older pic before I also got a Matriarch and they're now all on the same table, with the 37 in the slide-out tray below the M.

I really want to send it in to Moog for the $350 keyboard and sound engine (headroom) upgrades, but it just seems kind of expensive as it's still not a Fatar kb upgrade and money is very tight. Then, when I play the 37, I seem to get by fine, just a little clacky is all. And, the little screen isn't my favorite, but, again, functional.

I absolutely love the panel, and it still has my favorite Cutoff Filter BIG KNOB and FEEL of ANY synth I've ever played, bar none. They did this C/O knob right. So much fun to just TURN and TWIST!
do new units ship with the upgrade?
Old 3 weeks ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
do new units ship with the upgrade?
Yes. The ones labeled as "Subsequent 37" have the better keyboard and improved gainstaging. If it says "Sub 37," it's probably all original.

I never sent mine in either. One can get cleaner tones by keeping the mixer levels below 12:00. And while that keyboard seemed terrible when it was the only one I had, that's not the case anymore, so I don't really think about it.

Last edited by eb7; 3 weeks ago at 04:32 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
Yes. The ones label as "Subsequent 37" have the better keyboard and improved gainstaging. If it says "Sub 37," it's probably all original.

I never sent mine in either. One can get cleaner tones by keeping the mixer levels below 12:00. And while that keyboard seemed terrible when it was the only one I had, that's not the case anymore, so I don't really think about it.
thanks, i was getting a bit confused about that tbh.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
any sub 37 users have experience with the little phatty? wondering how they stack up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
any sub 37 users have experience with the little phatty? wondering how they stack up.
I have a slim phatty and an early sub37. The sub is more reliable--my slim seems to have somewhat regular tuning issues, whereas the sub just turns on and plays in tune. The sub has more capabilities, which are generally easier to access, and of course a lot more knobs.

As far as sound, I'd give the slim/little phatty a small edge against the Sub37, but its a small edge, not a huge difference. Its hard to say what I hear that make the slim nicer, but it feels a little more full bodied. (of course a meaningless description.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had one and sold it to move up to the subsequent 37. Much better keys and way more versatile. I love mine and just used it several times on a record.
📝 Reply