The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Radias
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Addict
Can't help with an editor I'm afraid, the only solution I have is to do what I did and keep a small external SSD with an older OS and boot from that when I need to use the old Korg editor. There's a version which worked up to Mavericks and I used that.

There is a librarian however which works with Java, take a look here: http://users.atw.hu/lipi/radiaslibrarian.html

Last edited by RiK777; 12th June 2020 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
It's so great to see this thread still alive after so many years, and the attitudes towards the Radias evolve.

So anyone know if there's editor support in Catalina? The original editor by Korg doesn't work and it doesn't look like they will update it. I held out on Mavericks for ages because of this, but had to upgrade due to a Thunderbolt peripheral requiring it for a firmware update. I should have rolled back immediately, but... there's always Windows but I've heavily invested in Logic Pro.

So, is there a decent 3rd party editor? You can do almost anything from the front end, but the step sequencer and Env 3 come to life in the editor, not to mention organizing patches is easier. Don't tell me I've got to buy a Dell...
I doubt Korg will ever update an editor for a 15years old synth.
On my PC (Windows7 64 bit) the Korg editor has been installed correctly and runs without errors...at least without the Radias connected, because I don't have the Radias yet, so I don't know if the Sound Editor can communicate with the Radias via USB.
The file name is "RADIAS_Sound_Editor_V200_PC"

My advice is to get a cheap Windows laptop/desktop and use it for the Radias (not necessarily a Dell ...you can look at Acer or HP for example), or install a virtual machine or dual boot system with MacOS/Windows7.
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by loziodavid View Post
My advice is to get a cheap Windows laptop/desktop and use it for the Radias (not necessarily a Dell ...you can look at Acer or HP for example), or install a virtual machine or dual boot system with MacOS/Windows7.
Why would a Mac owner want to buy a PC just to run one app when they could simply boot an earlier version of their preferred OS to do the same thing?
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Or dual boot/Parallels Windows.
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Addict
Again, why would a Mac owner want to run Windows for an app which runs on a Mac?
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Addict
For a simple case like this you could even boot the mac from a USB stick install of El Cap or something and run it from that.
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Well, some Mac users are obviously more open-minded.
Old 14th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Again, why would a Mac owner want to run Windows for an app which runs on a Mac?
Because the Windows Sound Editor runs perfectly under Windows7.
I said he can also set a dualboot Mac/Win, if he wants, so he will not spend money on a new laptop.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I doubt Korg will ever update an editor for a 15years old synth.
On my PC (Windows7 64 bit) the Korg editor has been installed correctly and runs without errors...at least without the Radias connected, because I don't have the Radias yet, so I don't know if the Sound Editor can communicate with the Radias via USB.
The file name is "RADIAS_Sound_Editor_V200_PC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Or dual boot/Parallels Windows.

It definitely does NOT work with a VM, I've tried Parallels and Vbox, but the last time I ran a Windows rig it was working in Windows 10 natively. I think a used Surface Go or something would be perfect.

Bootcamp might work, but again I'm likely going to want to use this when I'm in my DAW o other audio software which is all in my Mac. Small cheap Windows laptop or tablet is probably the way to go.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why would a Mac owner want to buy a PC just to run one app when they could simply boot an earlier version of their preferred OS to do the same thing?
Because rebooting into another OS, whether Windows or macOS is a pain in the neck and I won't be able to use the editor on a whim if I have a large project open without disrupting my workflow.

It's always the little things that knock one off course... like yes I'd love to have that patch now, but I need to close everything just to load it into my synth.

Otherwise not a bad idea.

I have no issue with Windows at all - they're all tools - I'm tied by the applications and workflow more than the OS.
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear

Pretty amazing to discover this active thread about this old synth. I had a love/hate relationship with my Radias for all the reasons that have been discussed in this thread. I've comme to accept what it can and cannot do and now it's mostly love I have for it. If it was to blow up I would be scrambling to twist my other tools (soft and hardware) into trying to emulate exactly the things I do easily with my Radias. It's really part of my sound now.

QUESTION: Lately I tried for the first time using the Radias as a straight up effects processor for an older synth I just acquired. I love many of the Radias effects. Found myself unable to do so. Not only does it seem impossible to route the external inputs through the Master FX without using up one of the four parts but even when playing around with the E.F. parameters I was unable to get the inputs unaltered to go through the effects. Anybody has ever tried using the Radias as an effects processor?
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just for the record I am on a Hackintosh - OSX Sierra 10.2.6 and my Radias Editor (Official Korg Version) works perfectly fine on this system without the need for dual booting or any other nonsense.
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glouglou View Post
Pretty amazing to discover this active thread about this old synth. I had a love/hate relationship with my Radias for all the reasons that have been discussed in this thread. I've comme to accept what it can and cannot do and now it's mostly love I have for it. If it was to blow up I would be scrambling to twist my other tools (soft and hardware) into trying to emulate exactly the things I do easily with my Radias. It's really part of my sound now.

QUESTION: Lately I tried for the first time using the Radias as a straight up effects processor for an older synth I just acquired. I love many of the Radias effects. Found myself unable to do so. Not only does it seem impossible to route the external inputs through the Master FX without using up one of the four parts but even when playing around with the E.F. parameters I was unable to get the inputs unaltered to go through the effects. Anybody has ever tried using the Radias as an effects processor?
The AudioIn INIT patch does it for me. I believe this is a stock preset #M13

I'm not sure exactly how it's configured, because if I change the input to something else, and then back to AudioIn Init, it doesn't work, you have to gate it with a key. So, there's some setting there where the key doesn't need to be gated.

It does still use up one timbre though.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
The AudioIn INIT patch does it for me. I believe this is a stock preset #M13

I'm not sure exactly how it's configured, because if I change the input to something else, and then back to AudioIn Init, it doesn't work, you have to gate it with a key. So, there's some setting there where the key doesn't need to be gated.

It does still use up one timbre though.
Interesting. I found the AudioIn Init on O13 on mine. Maybe I have different version of stock presets. Anyway, the trick seems to be the COMMON->E.F. settings of Sens=126 and Threshold=002. I changed the Source settings to have a both 1+2 (stereo). Then obivously the other settings in the timbre are such that the filters and everything else do not alter the audio in until it reaches the effects.

We still lose one of the four timbres which is something I'm not always willing to do. But in some songs I may be tempted to limit the Radias to three parts so that I can process an external stereo signal through its very capable effects section.

I still wish there was a way to route the external inputs to only the Master FX without losing a timbre.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Just for the record I am on a Hackintosh - OSX Sierra 10.2.6 and my Radias Editor (Official Korg Version) works perfectly fine on this system without the need for dual booting or any other nonsense.
Sierra was the last version which the latest Korg editor runs on.

Ironically, there is actually an earlier version of the editor which will run on Mojave, but Catalina kills that as it's only 32 bit.

I've got a bootable Mojave install on a small SSD which is fine for a bit of occasional housekeeping and backups..
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glouglou View Post
Interesting. I found the AudioIn Init on O13 on mine. Maybe I have different version of stock presets. Anyway, the trick seems to be the COMMON->E.F. settings of Sens=126 and Threshold=002. I changed the Source settings to have a both 1+2 (stereo). Then obivously the other settings in the timbre are such that the filters and everything else do not alter the audio in until it reaches the effects.

We still lose one of the four timbres which is something I'm not always willing to do. But in some songs I may be tempted to limit the Radias to three parts so that I can process an external stereo signal through its very capable effects section.

I still wish there was a way to route the external inputs to only the Master FX without losing a timbre.
Yeah, I guess it's an issue if you're doing a lot of multi-timbre stuff with only the Radias, or you're performing with it. On the occasion I use it as an fx unit, I'm not really using it as a synth at the same time.

But, I'm not surprised you have to use a timbre. It's whole design is based around the timbres. IMO, it's kind of amazing that the Radias has two multi effects units PER TIMBRE, including separate reverbs, and then you have a whole MASTER effects section on top of that..
Old 14th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Yes, it actually works fine all the way up to 10.14.x - it's literally just Catalina that drops support.

Logic Pro X (the latest version) won't work on Sierra unfortunately.
Old 17th November 2020
Gear Nut
I'm considering getting a used Radias for a fairly good price. I've had an R3 in the past and did like it's sound, although the menu diving always annoyed me. I figure with the Radias being way easier to program from the front panel I may use it a lot more. The only thing is I already have a Virus TI2 which I love, and wonder if that makes the Radias somewhat redundant. Is there a significant overlap there? Is anyone still using their Radias regularly?
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 8ae9543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
I'm considering getting a used Radias for a fairly good price. I've had an R3 in the past and did like it's sound, although the menu diving always annoyed me. I figure with the Radias being way easier to program from the front panel I may use it a lot more. The only thing is I already have a Virus TI2 which I love, and wonder if that makes the Radias somewhat redundant. Is there a significant overlap there? Is anyone still using their Radias regularly?
I have both the TI and the Radias, there is not a lot of overlap for me, they are completely different sounding synths. I still use the Radias as much as I ever did and the Editor still works on Windows 10 on my computer.

Proton K.

Last edited by Deleted 8ae9543; 17th November 2020 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Still have a Radias.

Still love it.

Still use it every time I'm in the studio :-)
Old 17th November 2020
Gear Addict

Radias doesn't just have an Audio-In oscillator like the R3? I mean, of course you need to use a timbre to access its effects!
Old 7th December 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi guys, I'm in the Radias family since 3 weeks!
I was wondering if somebody knows someone who sells side cheeks for the rack module. I found 3DWaves, but 100€ + import taxes for 4 pieces of plastic, is too much. Some cheaper option, possibly in Europe/UK?

Thanks a lot
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm in the Radias family since 3 weeks!
I was wondering if somebody knows someone who sells side cheeks for the rack module. I found 3DWaves, but 100€ + import taxes for 4 pieces of plastic, is too much. Some cheaper option, possibly in Europe/UK?

Thanks a lot
Maybe SynthsAndWood?

https://www.synthsandwood.co.uk/gall...aItem-jepkgqfa

Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
I'm considering getting a used Radias for a fairly good price.
Did you get it?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Did you get it?
Nope - seller disappeared when I tried to organise a pickup time. It's still listed so not sure what happened there
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I emailed them 2 weeks ago. No reply.
Old 8th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Maybe @ flat 's own Wavewoodcraft?

http://wavewoodcraft.co.uk/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Maybe @ flat 's own Wavewoodcraft?

http://wavewoodcraft.co.uk/
Thanks for plug sir dragon of evilness!
Old 13th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

QI=180 for this guy

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
just got one of these and i must say it's pretty rad!!
πŸ“ Reply