The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blade Runner style or tribute music? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

Blade Runner style or tribute music?

anyone done any Blade Runner styled music? or point me to any? I don't mean the real Vangelis music re-done, re-made, re-booted, re-created, or covered, I mean extension of that music in the same vein. same soundscape universe, ya dig?

I'm working on some music in that style for a film I'm working on and want to see what others have done so I would not do it the same way.
This music is not to BEST the original (impossible, I know), just reside in the same universe, have the same emotion and tone, and respectfully be a tribute to the genre. Not a replacement, but a side sequal from the same time frame. No interest in UPDATING with modern tech and toys, but using the same tools from back them.

If anyone knows of anything like this, please point me too it because I can't find it. Seen a couple on Youtube, but more/better?
Old 25th December 2013
Gear addict

Cpt. Obvious to the rescue! Blade Runner 25th Anniversary, Disk 2 and 3. Completely new music and by Vangelis. Disk 1 is the original soundtrack.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

so, disc 2&3 are all in the style, but not FROM the movie?
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear
I bought Kebu's CD and the first track reeks of blade runner. He uses all analogue gear and I really enjoyed the CD. It kind of has a feel that traverses the 80's, 90's and 00's.

I'd bought it and am still enjoying it. You can also check out some of the tracks on youtube.

The Youtube video's are pretty inspirational. I love his cover of the 'The Veldt'.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

That's pretty much in the spirit of Blade Runner
Old 25th December 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd
so, disc 2&3 are all in the style, but not FROM the movie?
Disc 3 is all newly released tracks not heard in the film. The second disc probably includes some previously unreleased material from the original soundtrack, I'm not sure, but it's a great release anyway.
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Nut

Analog Sweden is working on Blade Runner-esque album. Moments Lost | Indiegogo
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Addict

Gave a look at mik300z's channel on YouTube.
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

My pal and I try to do late-70s/early 80s style electronic music , check it out the name of course an homage to Albedo 0.39 by Vangelis
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renskav View Post
Analog Sweden is working on Blade Runner-esque album. Moments Lost | Indiegogo

There we go. I figured someone was doing this kind of thing. That will be very inspirational.
Old 26th December 2013
Here for the gear

Vangelis' own "Opera Sauvage" will drop you right in there as well.

-Bryan
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear
also check the esper edition of the BR soundtrack for all the original music scored for the movie
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

I attempted something in that vein recently with bundled instruments in Logic X:
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

great job pendejo! thanks for posting. I'm getting further narrowing my need: I want to use almost the same instruments, pay respects to the original, make SURE it matches the mood/scene of the movie where it needs to, and avoid any obvious 80's-ish sounding musical cliches... THAT part will be hardest of all.

Also found a really kick a$$ ROLAND VP-330 plugin to cover those awesome yet specific string sounds
Vintage Synth Plugins by G-Storm Electro: VSP-330r2 Voice Synth Plus Is Here!
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

this wil help me as well
Old 26th December 2013
Gear interested

Hi, long time lurker here finally plucked up the courage to join, tried doing a couple of tracks in the 'Bladerunner-esque' style, one of them is here

https://soundcloud.com/rolandmacinto...e-to-the-greek

the real bladerunner/CS-80 type stuff kicks in half way through...

RM
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

Welcome! And yes, I'd say you nailed the BR zone really well with that! Sounds like you put all the homage parts in there. May I ask what gear or plugs you used on that?
Old 26th December 2013
Gear interested

Hi, thanks for the welcome! Sorry to offend all the purists but all of this was done with Romplers lol! The backing done with mainly a JV2080 with orchestral, vintage and vocal expansion cards and the CS-80 brass lead was a preset on the vintage card installed in a JD-990!! And lots of reverb...
Old 26th December 2013
Lives for gear

cool! make music how ever you like: romplers, gear, software whatever works
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

I did this a couple of years ago

Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

yes! Very Blade runner-esque!!
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Addict
Some of my music might fit the bill.

both from non-profit internet Vangelis tribute CD compilations.
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Addict

You MUST listen to Kuedo - Severant!! It definitely returns to the Blade Runner universe, in an original way.

Here is a great track from the album:

Old 31st December 2013
Here for the gear

also inspired by blade runner

https://soundcloud.com/overdark-soun...f-the-end-2013
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

man, I should just hire all you guys to do the soundtrack! :D Great feedback! My goal here is to ABSORB the feel, not copy or clone anyone... I enjoy making up my own original music, but wanted to get a FEEL for the whole BR universe. Got my CS-80v and VSP-330 dialed in, ready to rock. BUT, I gotta finish writing the first scene, then film it, THEN make the soundtrack to match the scene and support it best. But I will post on GS whenever it gets done next year.

BTW checkout VSP-330 for nearly perfect Blade Runner strings bed... Vintage Synth Plugins by G-Storm Electro
it's free and sounds great
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

AS FANS OF BLADE RUNNER MUSIC...

What do YOU GUYS feel a new spinoff movie soundtrack should be to satisfy you? I realize there is NO WAY to satisfy everyone, but understanding expectations would be interesting.

Pick your choice:

1. EXACT SAME instruments and sounds, covering the same ground as the 1982 movie, same tone and feel, just new notes and melodies and passages

2. some of the old school sounds mixed with newer elements and sounds, same tone and feel

3. ALL NEW sounds and intruments from our modern world, yet retaining the same ambience and feel and tone of the old soundtrack. Just ALL modernized for today's audiences.

There is NO WAY to make everyone happy: if I did #1, people would say I was just copying the same old stuff and mooching off it. If I did #2, they'd say I was WRECKING the old versions by trying to update it. #3 doesn't make any sense to me really so I have no perspective on that one.

So, what do YOU GUYS feel would be the best way to respect, and yet be different while being in the same universe of sound? I gotta be honest and feel #1 is the direction to go, but I would love to hear your perspectives on

a new blade runner movie soundtrack
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

Not 1, that will just be soil festivities.

Id rather go for sort of the same equipment, and improvise.
A piano, an organ, a couple polys, couple monos, lots of reverb and delay.
So sort of 2 I guess.

Then use that as a base, if were thinking movie that is ... what the mood requires, the scenes ... remix it if you want ... experiment with the base recordings.
Old 8th January 2014
Big Vangelis fan here. Check out around the 14 minute mark for some nice Bladerunner type feelings.
Evangeline's Intercelestial Moonrace | slinky
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Not 1, that will just be soil festivities.

Id rather go for sort of the same equipment, and improvise.
A piano, an organ, a couple polys, couple monos, lots of reverb and delay.
So sort of 2 I guess.

Then use that as a base, if were thinking movie that is ... what the mood requires, the scenes ... remix it if you want ... experiment with the base recordings.
So, you don't feel changing up the equipment isn't like saying "the old was okay, but we can do BETTER now, with new and improved stuffs" ?
Old 9th January 2014
Also, I remember reading somewhere that Flying Lotus was thinking of a Blade Runner, but for Los Angeles when he made his album "Los Angeles." That album is one of my all time favorites.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search