Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Well, prices have gone up.
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Well, prices have gone up.
I just checked to see if they had in the UK, because I thought they hadn't, and saw a s950 for £500~ lol, really? They were £150~£100 about 4 years ago.

£500 for a s950, lol, I've seen mint MPC 60's for £600-700
Old 21st August 2016
I paid $125 for my S900 about a year and a half ago and the Ensoniq EPSM I acquired around that time was similarly priced. Now I'm seeing prices on both of those machines that just don't make any sense anymore. People seem to think they're made of gold in a relatively short time.
Just prior to buying the S900 I was haggling with a guy selling an S950 because I thought his price of $225 was nuts. He managed to sell it to another person though.

Until the time that serious samplers start getting manufactured again I'm afraid more of this is coming. The Emulator II on my local CL with the price of $1800 is a harbinger of what's to come.
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
The big problem with hardware samplers is they are old technology...can't find RAM, floppies, SCSI drives, low density flash cards, etc. easily, the max sample times are low, load times slow, etc.
I don't seem to encounter these problems with this:
Old 21st August 2016
There's a very long and informative thread here somewhere discussing and illustrating all the various ways to update samplers with modern digital media adapted for SCSI.
For many of the old monsters this complaint about obsolete media is a moot point.
I adapted my S6000 to CF card storage working in conjunction with an old HDD as well as the USB and frankly the machine is even more usable in a modern environment than ever. And since the MPC1000 also accepts CF cards I can very quickly and easily go back and forth between the two and the computer.

The S900 and EPSm are still using floppies and frankly it doesn't even bother me. People love to gripe about this are just big spoiled rotten babies. Seize the floppy, love the floppy! It is you friend still!

And the argument about tiny RAM capacity. Again, more spoiled brat whining. IF you don't know the tricks to use your RAM conservatively than you should stick to your PC and not bother with samplers. What the hell do you need so much RAM for anyway's? In the 90's I could do entire songs in 2 MB. Don't believe me? Go to my SC profile and find my old band's tracks.

Almost forgot! Wah boo hoo whah I can't transfer samples from my PC to my old sampler, sniff sniff. You CAN! You find the hole in the sampler labeled Sample Input. You plug an output from your interface into that and then you - sample it!
If you aren't doing this then there's a chance you're missing the point altogether with old samplers.
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
You find the hole in the sampler labeled Sample Input. You plug an output from your interface into that and then you - sample it!
If you aren't doing this then there's a chance you're missing the point altogether with old samplers.
THIS!! Hahahah
no wonder prices keep creepin up.
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Addict

TAL Sampler and it's vintage modes has been allot of fun.
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
Old 21st August 2016
JDN
Lives for gear

They are and they aren't going up...it depends on what it is and the usual hype. The s950's and emax have gone up a lot, but there's been an EMU E5000 Ultra here locally for $150 with an external hard drive for months they can't give away.
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Addict

That seems weird to me, I'd take the Ultra over a S950 any day.
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Guru

don't worry. in the sampler market a radical instability in the price of samplers is usually about three dollars.
Old 21st August 2016
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardsinc_ View Post
That seems weird to me, I'd take the Ultra over a S950 any day.
I think at the moment the samplers that add more character to the sound are in vogue. For instance s950 goes for more than s1000. Once you hit S1000 era and 16 bit and later many consider it inferior to computer sampling if it's clean sounding since the interfaces are clunky and memory limited. When I had an s950 back in the day all I wanted was the s1000, now my Mirage is worth more than my E6400 Ultra. People forget those were very powerful, but I will admit I can't imagine sampling on it again...trying to navigate the interface for any real editing, although quite powerful, is maddening.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
I don't seem to encounter these problems with this:
The thing I hate about the MPC1000 is that it breaks a lot. But I love the fact that parts are always readily available and easy to install for the most part.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The thing I hate about the MPC1000 is that it breaks a lot. But I love the fact that parts are always readily available and easy to install for the most part.
It's been 4 years I have had my MPC1000/JJOS2XL as midi master for 4 synths (plus the MPC own drum tracks).
Sure I have replaced some tactical switches (an inexpensive thing to have done), but otherwise no significant problem at all. It just works. Also construction-wise, the MPC1000 is housed in steel, and weights a ton for it size: it feels like a tank.
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Addict

Prices have gone down it seems, I just bought a fully working Emax and MPC-60 for 330€

Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
Prices have gone down it seems, I just bought a fully working Emax and MPC-60 for 330€

Does it have max ram scsi an Os 3.1 or higher?
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

And the argument about tiny RAM capacity. Again, more spoiled brat whining. IF you don't know the tricks to use your RAM conservatively than you should stick to your PC and not bother with samplers. What the hell do you need so much RAM for anyway's? In the 90's I could do entire songs in 2 MB.
I've made similar remarks here before. The RAM on my Roland W-30 was 512K. (7.2 seconds of sampling at 30kHz or 14.4 seconds at 15kHz.) I managed to make all of my first house records with it in the '90s. (And gigged with a rock / funk act with it for a few years before that.) All of my drums and keys were done using just that. I even sampled vocal phrases into it for remixes.

When I hear people complain that a modern Electribe Sampler *only* has 270 seconds (that's four and a half minutes!) I feel sad for humanity.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Nah, you just got lucky John Difool.
will cost you a bit if it needs SCSI, expanded memory and os 3.10 nstalled.
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Addict

Ya, that was superlucky. I came for the Emax for 130€ as I needed the keybed for my Emax HD and then he wanted to sell the MPC60, a DX7 and other stuff also. I grabbed the 60 and ran like hell
The funny thing though is he checked eBay prices on the 60 as I was there, but he just wanted it out fast and easy

It has OS 3.10e. I don't think it has SCSI or max RAM?

So I think I will put this floppy emulator in it

Will Samplers prices go up?High Security SFRM72 Fu 72KB ABS Floppy Drive Emulator Machine for Industrial | eBay

Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
The funny thing though is he checked eBay prices on the 60 as I was there, but he just wanted it out fast and easy
You didn't find that suspicious at all?

I know the current sampler prices are just as ridiculous as vintage analogs nowadays. That's because eBay sellers promise in their descriptions that with sampler X you will sound just like Dr. Mighty Cool and of course that isn't the whole truth. The turn around times are quick and as people try to get rid of stuff they realize they don't want or need and try to get even including all the eBay fees, shipping etc. so the prices are going up in eBay.

But maybe you just got lucky and the seller was in a real pinch.
Old 25th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I've made similar remarks here before. The RAM on my Roland W-30 was 512K. (7.2 seconds of sampling at 30kHz or 14.4 seconds at 15kHz.) I managed to make all of my first house records with it in the '90s. (And gigged with a rock / funk act with it for a few years before that.) All of my drums and keys were done using just that. I even sampled vocal phrases into it for remixes.

When I hear people complain that a modern Electribe Sampler *only* has 270 seconds (that's four and a half minutes!) I feel sad for humanity.
I can totally see this too. 14.4 seconds was plenty if you were smart about it. While gigging it was a pain waiting for the load from floppy but if you arranged your setlist accordingly you could avoid long waits for the audience. Or have the other players do an intro...

In 97 I was doing backup keys in a techno band. I didn't care much for the music but I liked this band for having a bass guitar player which was a little unique. Made the music pretty groovy for techno.
Anyways we wanted to take their big hit and do a total smashup live remix of it for this one gig. Their idea was to get one of the stage dancers to crank the EQ up and down on the stage mixer. Snore. I offered the idea of running the entire song through the resonant filters of my FZ-1 and cranking the cutoff up and down with the mod wheel. The FZ-1 had like 18 seconds I think using the 36K sample rate. They all laughed at me.
I showed up for practice and did exactly that. It sounded awesome and it blew their minds so we did it live. The stage dancer felt left out so we let her rock my mod wheel. Sweaty little girl dripped all over me since we had to be right next to each other on stage.
Anyway long story short - I sampled a bar of each section of the song. Merged it all into one sample. Then used the 8 loops the FZ-1 has to "expand" the song back out again setting the number of repeats to the number of actual bars each section had for each loop. Then I assigned cutoff to the mod wheel and resonance to aftertouch. holding one key down I had a 6 minute song play back.
FUn!

Man did I used to swoon over the W-30 when it 1st came out. But the FZ-1 was a pretty capable machine. So much so that I still kept it and used it even after getting my S6000 in 99. If it hadn't been stolen in 03 I might still be using it now.
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
You didn't find that suspicious at all?
There was nothing suspicious about it. It took place on a desolated parking lot in the beautiful summer evening. He even had 3 of his well-mannered young friends there who had drawings on their arms and goldchains around their neck. They seemed like nice wealthy people that was very happy on my behalf as they immediately ordered coke on the phone and even some slugs to go with the softdrinks as they were going on a hunting trip they told me.
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
But maybe you just got lucky and the seller was in a real pinch.
I wouldn't be surprised about this. With anything I sell, I usually go to friends or Muff Wiggler first with a lower value just because it's much less hassle and I don't have to deal with skyrocketing eBay fees. If I get no bites with synths, I'll then go ahead and list on eBay and go for maximum value, but with larger items like guitars, amps, and mixers, I'll take them to pawn shops knowing I'm not going to get full value and if I get no bites there, then I just give them away. Ebay has become too much hassle.

Though this has lead to a new tradition: I like goofing around on cheapie guitars with no resale value, so at the end of the year just before Christmas, I take all the crap guitars and amps I've accumulated and sit in front of ToysRUs giving them away to kids. It's hard to pull off and not have parents think you're a pedophile, but when you get a kid walking away strumming a pink guitar, (shut up, it's my thing!) it's worth it.
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear
Thanks for the commercially viable ideas. I think I should snatch some cheap Casios (I hear that Sk5 is wicked) and sell them at a local school parking lot. I already own the premises (Dodge Ram Van) to create a friendly musical environment for adventurous children.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Yes they will (says with hindsight). I was buying samplers while they were cheapish but now everything seems to have risen in price - and I just don't understand why. I work only with hardware (samplers, mixers, effects boxes and hard disk recorders), and only use the computer to configure things like SCSI2SD, so there must be more people going OTB then I thought.

My ASR just stopped powering up so was looking for a replacement (from the usual sites) and sampler prices seem to be going the way of analogue synths. Wish I'd bought more samplers years ago for spares!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyvizier View Post
Yes they will (says with hindsight). I was buying samplers while they were cheapish but now everything seems to have risen in price - and I just don't understand why. I work only with hardware (samplers, mixers, effects boxes and hard disk recorders), and only use the computer to configure things like SCSI2SD, so there must be more people going OTB then I thought.

My ASR just stopped powering up so was looking for a replacement (from the usual sites) and sampler prices seem to be going the way of analogue synths. Wish I'd bought more samplers years ago for spares!
Replace the capacitors in the power supply. If it works your golden and no need to spend hundreds. Or you could buy a power supply board cheap.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Unfortunately I'm in Australia, so replacement power supply boards aren't as plentiful here as the US. Already putting in two new power supplies into S760s, new encoders into an A4000, new tact switches into a MPC2500, and a new LED display into an S950 so I'm trying to limit my maintenance projects. On the backburner is fixing two ASR10 power supplies, an ASR10R display, and an EIV output whine. Still have one ASR88 working, but one out of four isn't very good. Still, it's my favourite thing to use.

That's one of the reasons I don't understand sampler prices going up - archaic workflow, maintenance required, poor integration with ITB. I'm a dinosaur and bought my Akai S3200 back in the early nineties (cost a fortune!) so it's what I grew up with, but younger folk?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
OK, I'll bite. I'm not in my 20s, but I have very little interest in any sort of rackmount samplers, 90s workstations, or pretty much anything that's still using floppy disks of any size, outside of seeing The Prodigy's old W30 on youtube, or Ferris's Emulator 2 loading up some sneezing sounds.

I bought a MS-1 back in the late nineties and outside of manually loading some breaks on it or doing some (limited) field recording, I never really enjoyed it, although that's not really a fair comparison to "actual" samplers.

Manually dialing in endpoints in hex-code sounds like the ultimate form of tedium, my mixer is too small to make one of those multi-out samplers worth the money, and Ableton's stuff sounds good enough to handle poly sampling without having to deal with the BS of old sampler workflow. I have a Digitakt and that's fast loading, can transfer stuff back and forth easily with my computer, and I can rip stuff off youtube or whatever I plug in quickly and edit it down efficiently visually.

Maybe I'm missing out on some analog filters or sweet sweet sample distortion/the fabled DAC mojo that every 80s box owner bleats about, but I'd rather get another synth, an Octatrack, or a modern MPC over anything vintage. To me, buying some old floppy rackmount Akai just doesn't make sense for four-floor techno soundcloud littering garbage.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
OK, I'll bite. I'm not in my 20s, but I have very little interest in any sort of rackmount samplers, 90s workstations, or pretty much anything that's still using floppy disks of any size, outside of seeing The Prodigy's old W30 on youtube, or Ferris's Emulator 2 loading up some sneezing sounds.

(...)Maybe I'm missing out on some analog filters or sweet sweet sample distortion/the fabled DAC mojo that every 80s box owner bleats about, but I'd rather get another synth, an Octatrack, or a modern MPC over anything vintage.
What space skeleton says. I bought an Ensoniq Mirage a few years back, and the sound of that grinding floppy drive, deciding whether or not to work ... well, that made me pretty nervous, so I put it back on the market immediately. (Of course, right after that, their market value tripled or something like that)
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyvizier View Post
Unfortunately I'm in Australia, so replacement power supply boards aren't as plentiful here as the US. Already putting in two new power supplies into S760s, new encoders into an A4000, new tact switches into a MPC2500, and a new LED display into an S950 so I'm trying to limit my maintenance projects. On the backburner is fixing two ASR10 power supplies, an ASR10R display, and an EIV output whine. Still have one ASR88 working, but one out of four isn't very good. Still, it's my favourite thing to use.

That's one of the reasons I don't understand sampler prices going up - archaic workflow, maintenance required, poor integration with ITB. I'm a dinosaur and bought my Akai S3200 back in the early nineties (cost a fortune!) so it's what I grew up with, but younger folk?
They dont make them anymore, it's fun to sample into hardware which gives it that certain character (you dont get that on the computer) and it's a joy to have each sample on a key. It's fun to not look at a screen, and boots up instantly. I have an Emu E5000 Ultra which sounds great. I also have ESI-32 which requires remembering which button is for what function and for that reason it's not used, but I still love it's warmth much better, and my sampled cassette tape music sounded even better (some magic added, indescribably addictive) than on cassette. Somehow was slightly more analog and warm but that 5% made such a nice sweet difference. I'm not a fan of brightness/hi-resolution and always trying to find a way to calm down high rez sound even from old gear. Sampling into hardware makes it possible to add an analog element to the sound that was not there before, and you can easily and instantly play back samples from a synth. It can automatically sample when you press a key. Whats not to like? I can run it through a hardware effects processor and quickly figure out what effect is best, or tweak & save the effect, and sample the result. It's more fun and there is no screen to stare at.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
There's a very long and informative thread here somewhere discussing and illustrating all the various ways to update samplers with modern digital media adapted for SCSI.
For many of the old monsters d blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah and then you - sample it!
Pompous [email protected] much?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search