The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI, weighted keys? Casio CDP-120 vs. Oxygen 88?
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

MIDI, weighted keys? Casio CDP-120 vs. Oxygen 88?

Hey all...

Curious about the comparative merits between the Casio CDP-120 and the M-Audio Oxygen 88 as a weighted key MIDI controller. Action is of primary importance, internal sounds are not important to me. Here's some context...

I'm a songwriter/composer who makes music that's somewhere between classical, electronic, and folk. I tour a bit, have a few records under my belt and so on. I have been a guitar player for nearly 20 years, and have been arranging for other instruments nearly as long, usually with a notation programs (Finale, Logic etc.) Of recent, I have been playing increasing amounts of keyboard, and am now interested in taking formal piano lessons in order to increase my versatility as a composer. I play a bit of basic Bach (WTC preludes, working on a couple inventions), but I'm a-ways off from, say, Chopin or late Beethoven.

I have been playing an m-audio radium MIDI controller with synth action, which satisfies my MIDI needs, but I really need something I can use as a MIDI controller that has piano-style weighted keys. I plan to get a piano in my place eventually, but that will take a while to figure out. Plus, I want something that, in addition to piano, I can practice with late into the night with headphones so as not to disturb my housemates and girlfriend. I may also want to bring it with me on the road, depending on a variety of factors.

Weighted action is important so my chops don't falter when moving from keyboard to piano and back.

Sounds are not important because I use Logic plug-ins (Kontakt, ReaKtor, analog modeling etc.) to craft sounds.

Budget is fairly low.

So I've had my eye on the Casio CDP-120 and the M-Audio Oxygen 88. I've found the two for similar prices (Oxygen for about $100-150 more). Any thoughts about the comparative merits between these two? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know either of those models but the Axiom keyboards make rather fine controller keyboards and, IMO, have a good weight/feel to them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search