The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Boss BR-800 recorder synths question
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Boss BR-800 recorder synths question

I know this unit is designed for guitars but Im looking for a good recorder which will also allow a synth/keyboard aswell guitars and acts as a usb audio interface into DAW.

If not any other good lower cost options for this?
I like the sound of this boss unit. (Zoom R8 or 16 and tascam)
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The zoom h2n portable recorder is small and cheap and can serve as a usb audio interface. You would need a small mixer to bring in the guitar, mics, synths etc. Do you need multitrack on the unit itself?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The H2N would be great if multitracking is not needed. One of those all in one wonders. The Boss has many features for all instruments but only works with PC's. The Zoom is really a good choice for versatility.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
The zoom h2n portable recorder is small and cheap and can serve as a usb audio interface. You would need a small mixer to bring in the guitar, mics, synths etc. Do you need multitrack on the unit itself?
need to multitrack aswell, ive already looked at the zoom H4N as an option but I like the sound of the fx/drum patterns/other features and ability to import and play a backing track wav and record over the top of it on the boss. can you do that on the zoom h4n?
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
The H2N would be great if multitracking is not needed. One of those all in one wonders. The Boss has many features for all instruments but only works with PC's. The Zoom is really a good choice for versatility.
surely the boss unit can be used as a multitrack independently of a PC?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The BR800 is a fully functional multitrack so yes it allows for what want to do--recording multiple tracks in parallel (but only two at a time). It will operate independently of a computer as well.

However I don't believe it has the capability to act as an audio interface to a DAW.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunesorbit View Post
surely the boss unit can be used as a multitrack independently of a PC?
Sure it can. Sorry I was talking about it as an audio interface for a DAW. Thought that was one of the features you needed.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Head

anyone know if Tascam DP-006 multi unit can be used as a usb audio inteface and has built in drum machine/fx on it?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone know if Tascam DP-006 multi unit can be used as a usb audio inteface aswell?
I am not sure but I think all it can do is transfer a 2 track to make a wav file into an mp3.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone know if Tascam DP-006 multi unit can be used as a usb audio inteface and has built in drum machine/fx on it?
Doesn't appear so--the Zoom recorders seem to be unique in offering that.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't appear so--the Zoom recorders seem to be unique in offering that.
Actually, I think the BR-800 can do it as well but only with Sonar/Cakewalk.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

What do you know, it does work as an audio interface. Also I was wrong about the number of simultaneous tracks that can be recorded (4 actually). I used to have a BR-600 which only did 2.

From Roland's BR-800 webpage:
  • 4-track simultaneous recording, 8-track simultaneous playback plus dedicated stereo rhythm track playback
  • EZ Recording interactively guides through the recording process
  • Powerful guitar, bass, and vocal effects derived from BOSS’s flagship processors
  • Song Sketch recording for quick stereo capture in WAV format
  • Built-in advanced drum machine with editor software
  • Functions as a USB audio interface and DAW control surface
  • Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 LE software with full audio loops and backing tracks included
  • Built-in stereo condenser microphone for instant recording
  • Sleek new interface based on touch sensors
  • 1GB SD included (supports up to 32GB SDHC card)
  • Runs on six AA batteries/USB bus power/AC adaptor (included)
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Actually, I think the BR-800 can do it as well but only with Sonar/Cakewalk.
sure its only sonar cakewalk , anyone know if it can be used with reaper?
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
What do you know, it does work as an audio interface. Also I was wrong about the number of simultaneous tracks that can be recorded (4 actually). I used to have a BR-600 which only did 2.

From Roland's BR-800 webpage:
  • 4-track simultaneous recording, 8-track simultaneous playback plus dedicated stereo rhythm track playback
  • EZ Recording interactively guides through the recording process
  • Powerful guitar, bass, and vocal effects derived from BOSS’s flagship processors
  • Song Sketch recording for quick stereo capture in WAV format
  • Built-in advanced drum machine with editor software
  • Functions as a USB audio interface and DAW control surface
  • Cakewalk SONAR 8.5 LE software with full audio loops and backing tracks included
  • Built-in stereo condenser microphone for instant recording
  • Sleek new interface based on touch sensors
  • 1GB SD included (supports up to 32GB SDHC card)
  • Runs on six AA batteries/USB bus power/AC adaptor (included)
thanks for this list appreciated;
compared next to the Zoom R8 which are the main omits/differences? (ease of use anyone know)
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

Don't know much about the R8, but it seems to be a lot cheaper and has 8 pads you can load samples to (with waveform editing even!). That's actually kind of mildly awesome. But it only does simultaneously 2 channel recording.

The BR800 has 4 channel simultaneous which more than justifies the price difference if you have use for it. If not I would go for the R8 myself.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search