The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Notes in Jan Hammer's 'Crockett's Theme'
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Notes in Jan Hammer's 'Crockett's Theme'

This has been on my mind for awhile but I never got around to asking it. In 'Crockett's Theme,' during the lead with the bell-type synth, there is a sequence of notes that Hammer plays very quickly. My question is, is there a proper name for this type of technique in which notes are played in quick succession? I've heard this used in a few of his songs. Seems to be a signature of his.

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme (Miami Vice) - YouTube
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

You mean where he plays a G and A in quick succession?

Glissando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Appoggiatura, an ornament (trill), grace note.

Ornament (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

It can be argued that the technique is more or less like a Hammer-on. Especially if you're playing a monosynth with the note-sealing algorithm set up to prioritize the highest note. Let's call it a virtual hammer-on, if you like

But yes, Appoggiatura (or Acciaccatura) is also a fitting description.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You mean where he plays a G and A in quick succession?

Glissando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, I don't believe this is a glissando.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
It can be argued that the technique is more or less like a Hammer-on. Especially if you're playing a monosynth with the note-sealing algorithm set up to prioritize the highest note. Let's call it a virtual hammer-on, if you like

But yes, Appoggiatura (or Acciaccatura) is also a fitting description.
Another example.

Jan Hammer - Tubbs and Valerie - YouTube
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yup, grace notes.

"A grace note is a note that you play just slightly before a real note — your finger just grazes the grace note before playing the real note."

Playing Grace Notes, Trills, and Glissandos on the Piano - For Dummies

Or just quick playing in staccato in the case of the Tubbs and Valerie song. More a playing technique than sound design or anything like that.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
This has been on my mind for awhile but I never got around to asking it. In 'Crockett's Theme,' during the lead with the bell-type synth, there is a sequence of notes that Hammer plays very quickly. My question is, is there a proper name for this type of technique in which notes are played in quick succession? I've heard this used in a few of his songs. Seems to be a signature of his.

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme (Miami Vice) - YouTube
in fact, I remember in interview with him, where he explained where he got this line from: Steinberg Cubase Atari 1.0 IPS (Intelligent Phrase Synthesizer)

the line is according to Jan Hammer generated by this amazing piece of software (that was abandoned by Steinberg from VST32 on, sadly, because I too loved this thing. this thing is the reason for me having an Atari emulation with Cubase 2.0 running on my PC).

if you are interested: Cubase 2.0 Atari is freeware since years, and the emulator is STEEM. to get it up and running you have to download a TOS (Atari Operating System) for Atari (M)ST(e) and mount this into STEEM. I recommend TOS 2.06, but in fact, it doesnt matter, except that TOS < 1.04 doesnt work that properly sometimes.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Like a boss.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

You've already gotten the serious answers. Here's my not so serious answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
...is there a proper name for this type of technique in which notes are played in quick succession?

Yes. It's called SHREDDING!

And if you want the real thing:

And before I get ripped for not having synth shredders...do we really need a Jordan Rudess video?

Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
in fact, I remember in interview with him, where he explained where he got this line from: Steinberg Cubase Atari 1.0 IPS (Intelligent Phrase Synthesizer)

the line is according to Jan Hammer generated by this amazing piece of software (that was abandoned by Steinberg from VST32 on, sadly, because I too loved this thing. this thing is the reason for me having an Atari emulation with Cubase 2.0 running on my PC).

if you are interested: Cubase 2.0 Atari is freeware since years, and the emulator is STEEM. to get it up and running you have to download a TOS (Atari Operating System) for Atari (M)ST(e) and mount this into STEEM. I recommend TOS 2.06, but in fact, it doesnt matter, except that TOS < 1.04 doesnt work that properly sometimes.
Hmm... interesting. Can you link me to the interview? It's hard to believe someone of his extensive musical background and skill would use something like that.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
You've already gotten the serious answers. Here's my not so serious answer:

Yes. It's called SHREDDING!

And if you want the real thing:

And before I get ripped for not having synth shredders...do we really need a Jordan Rudess video?

Meh
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post

Like a boss.
Another favorite of mine. Hammer is so underrated.

Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespiz View Post
Yup, grace notes.

"A grace note is a note that you play just slightly before a real note — your finger just grazes the grace note before playing the real note."

Playing Grace Notes, Trills, and Glissandos on the Piano - For Dummies

Or just quick playing in staccato in the case of the Tubbs and Valerie song. More a playing technique than sound design or anything like that.
Interesting.. thanks for the clarification.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search