The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What is the most organic sounding synth?
Old 23rd October 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Hammond Novachord.

Old 23rd October 2013
  #32
Gear Addict
 
John Difool's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Hammond Novachord.

X-actly




Old 23rd October 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Farfisa Polychrome :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8KVO-wyZCs
Old 23rd October 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Hammond Novachord.

Good Heavens, yes.
Old 23rd October 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 
code green's Avatar
Count me among those who think programming and playing can wrest organic sounds out of just about any synth, but in terms of innate character the ARP 2600 is the most organic synth I've had the pleasure to play. To me it always feels like a WWII-era piece of electrical gear that just happens to make interesting sounds, and has been modded to exploit that accident. The sense that electricity is producing the sounds is never more palpable to me than with that synth.
Old 24th October 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
DJRAZZ's Avatar
 

Just a few from me.

Moog Voyager XL
Korg Poly SIX
Roland JP4
Any Oberhiem Poly
Old 24th October 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Teknobeam's Avatar
 

Chroma Polaris is extremely organic sounding when you get into it and take it there. Also, the Roland SH5 with oscillators synced and slightly detuned to that special place. It's alive.
Old 24th October 2013
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Nigel99's Avatar
 

Buchla?

Sounds crazy organic to me.
Old 24th October 2013
  #39
Lives for gear
 

"Count me among those who think programming and playing can wrest organic sounds out of just about any synth, but in terms of innate character the ARP 2600 is the most organic synth I've had the pleasure to play."

I think ARP synths have a really organic-sounding character in general. I used to have an ARP pro-soloist - basically a cut down Axxe mark one with aftertouch and presets - that was as organic sounding as anything I've had.
Old 24th October 2013
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
I used to have an ARP pro-soloist - basically a cut down Axxe mark one with aftertouch and presets
It's a LOT more than a cut down Axxe. The Axxe doesn't have fixed formant and bandpass filters, or various routing architectures.
Old 27th October 2013
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
'Organic' is a word that will probably mean different things to different people. To me it means the end of the synth spectrum that is the opposite of the clangy PPGish wavetable type synthesis. Synths that often don't sound like synths at all, or if they do, they sound smooth, soft, rounder than something harsh and digital.

Though I don't simply mean analog, as of course there are digital waves very capable of that type of sound, and plenty of analog that doesn't sound that way at all. The Virus C is a good example of a digital synth that gets there, in its sweet spots (listen to most any Tycho song).

The guys in my avatar, BoC, are masters of coaxing this type of sound out of synths. To me the most emblematic synth of this type of sound is the Model D, it sounds so sweet and round and alive (this demo starts to get there around the 2 minute mark):






What synths would fit into whatever your definition of 'organic ' is?
The interesting thing about this Model D demo is that the effects are a huge part of them.... As far as I can tell, these are 2-osc patches using osc 3 for LFO duties.... I used my Source as well as my SP and an ADA 1-second delay+ Sony HR MP5 and came extremely close to this sound playing the same scale and the same ping-pong--->reverb effect chain. Moog seems to have a fantastic ability to give that woody "plonk".... They (even the modern ones) are often very "alive" and what you are describing as organic. Closing the filter down on my Moog with just one raw oscillator feels more alive than 3 from my virus with subtle glide detuning/slop applied.... I tend to use these "living synths" for very important elements like bass, and sometimes leads, whereas the others that sink into the mix are pads and effects.

I've made whole songs with the Moog before, and they are often hard to mix due to EVERYTHING being so large and taking up so much of the frequency spectrum...

So, unless you're going to go modular, I would strongly suggest getting a Moog (Source, LP/SP, or even a Rogue) and a nice multi-effects unit...it'll be so much more fun than soft synths with plugins or even hardware synths with plugins... At least for me, playing without the computer on is more inspiring... I sometimes run a cassette deck and record these synth+FX jams and then play the good parts into the DAW for chopping....no plugin gets you that sound, I can confidently tell you! Even the extra noise sounds cool when you chop it in and out with the edited synth parts!
Old 27th October 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Signifier's Avatar
 

Vermona Perfourmer Mk2 - particularly with the FM/Cross-Mod going...
Old 27th October 2013
  #43
Lives for gear
 
massimo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
'Organic' is a word that will probably mean different things to different people. To me it means the end of the synth spectrum that is the opposite of the clangy PPGish wavetable type synthesis. Synths that often don't sound like synths at all, or if they do, they sound smooth, soft, rounder than something harsh and digital.

Though I don't simply mean analog, as of course there are digital waves very capable of that type of sound, and plenty of analog that doesn't sound that way at all. The Virus C is a good example of a digital synth that gets there, in its sweet spots (listen to most any Tycho song).

The guys in my avatar, BoC, are masters of coaxing this type of sound out of synths. To me the most emblematic synth of this type of sound is the Model D, it sounds so sweet and round and alive (this demo starts to get there around the 2 minute mark):






What synths would fit into whatever your definition of 'organic ' is?
This is one of the most beautiful demos of a synthesizer one can see on the web. And the player, besides being a great player - which is quite refreshing to see these days - is an absolute master of the Minimoog. Certain bits in that video, for some reason (maybe due to the sound itself), reminded me of one of my favourite synth solos of all time: Don Preston's Minimoog solo on Zappa's song "Waka Jawaka". Check that one out if you haven't already!

best regards
Massimo
Old 27th October 2013
  #44
Here for the gear
 

Metasonix wretch machine

It's alive
Old 27th October 2013
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
This is one of the most beautiful demos of a synthesizer one can see on the web. And the player, besides being a great player - which is quite refreshing to see these days - is an absolute master of the Minimoog. Certain bits in that video, for some reason (maybe due to the sound itself), reminded me of one of my favourite synth solos of all time: Don Preston's Minimoog solo on Zappa's song "Waka Jawaka". Check that one out if you haven't already!

best regards
Massimo
Agreed...this IS the best mini moog YouTube video I've ever seen, he is just playing the synth...playing it fairly well from a keyboardist/pianist perspective, and very well from a synthesists perspective...he set up the patches and transitions expertly as well as setting up very sympathetic effects for what he's playing....

In reference to my post before, I was able to get a sound really similar to the Model D in this video using the Source and Slim Phatty using the same effects (different units) and that led me to the point of recommending a Moog to the OP
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump