The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg NanoKey 2... Useful or Useless?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Korg NanoKey 2... Useful or Useless?

Have any of you guys used the korg NanoKey 2?

I've been thinking about buying one... just to have something very portable that I can throw down some drums... a bassline or maybe a simple melody... just to sketch out some idea's while on the move.

It's only $49.99

So... has anyone used the Nanokeys 2?

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I had the nano pad mk1 and the mini USB port snapped out plugging the cable in when I was on a long train journey.

Though its more money, have you see the Keith McMillen QuNexus keyboard? 2 octaves, velocity AND aftertouch, light up keys and step-sequencer...
Tour
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
I had the nano pad mk1 and the mini USB port snapped out plugging the cable in when I was on a long train journey.

Though its more money, have you see the Keith McMillen QuNexus keyboard? 2 octaves, velocity AND aftertouch, light up keys and step-sequencer...
Tour
Thanks... I never heard of the QuNexus.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I've no experience of it myself but it would be my next purchase should I find myself back on a regular commute!

Their QuNeo controller is bulletproof though (almost, there's a video demonstrating it). If the build quality of the Nexus is only half as good as the Neo, it'd still be a hundred times better than my experience of the first-gen Korgs.
That being said, the second-gen should be better, they look better presented so I assume some better build went in somewhere.

If you live near an Apple Store, I believe the NanoKey is one of the 'approved' in-store products so you can have a feel for yourself...
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

The NanoKey 2 is surprisingly playable, but nowhere near that of a full size keyboard. Modulation and pitch bend is not really usable IMO.
Old 23rd October 2013
I have the MicroKey and I love it. Take it with me when I travel. If I gotta punch in or work out a quick melody or chord progression on my lunch break, works great for that. My mind is never not on music and it helps me get my ideas out away from home.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback fellas...

Does anyone else have any experience with the Nanokeys 2?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a nanoKey2 that I leave in my laptop bag. It's useful for those times when I'm at my desk on my lunchbreak and feel like trying out some new ideas, but that's about all I use it for (or would want to use it for). It's survived a year being lugged around daily in my laptop bag without any issues.

To summarize - it's slightly better than using a qwerty keyboard.

I bought mine used on eBay for about $30 including shipping. It's not worth more than that IMO. If it were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't notice.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 View Post
I have a nanoKey2 that I leave in my laptop bag. It's useful for those times when I'm at my desk on my lunchbreak and feel like trying out some new ideas, but that's about all I use it for (or would want to use it for). It's survived a year being lugged around daily in my laptop bag without any issues.

I bought mine used on eBay for about $30 including shipping. It's not worth more than that IMO. If it were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't notice.
Thanks...

Yeah... all I'm looking for is something cheap and portable to throw ideas down with until I get back to the studio.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 View Post

Can you get full velocity from your nanokey2? Does it respond to really gentle and really hard playing?
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

I had a Nanokey. It was pretty useless. I got an Akai LPK now and it's a much better solution for some easy mobile keys. I would also check out the CME Xkey 25. Works with iOS devices and has after touch.
Old 18th November 2013
I got the first gen nanokey and it's the worst piece of "hardware" I've bought. Low quality stuff, a few keys stopped working after a few weeks. I tried fixing it myself and got it working for a few days, but then something got loose again. Other than being poor quality, it wasn't even fun to play. Only good thing was that I got Korg Legacy plugins cheap with an included voucher.

I'd suggest Akai LPK25 keys and LPD8 if you want drum pads+knobs, they are quality stuff. I take LPK25 with me everywhere I travel and it's sturdy, fun to play and feels as professional as a small keyboard can feel.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Can you get full velocity from your nanokey2? Does it respond to really gentle and really hard playing?
I've not verified the actual ranges, but it does respond to velocity yes.
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Nut

Had it and sold it; it does the job, but it's not very comfortable to use - not much fun.

I replaced it with a Korg MicroKey 25 instead, much nicer and nearly as small.

On both I do wish the sustain button would toggle off and on though, rather than having to hold it down.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search