The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
VA or real analogue
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, perhaps keep one of the va's you like and pick up one analog synth. you will here a huge difference in fatness. i think you'd be set with the atc or se1x - both are great synths. if you find a good price on an old sh-101, 202, or 303...pick it up as they have a different and also really nice sound. a little softer (still fat) than the SE1X sound.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

i love my ATC1...the SEM filter is great. way better for bass than my novation nova or bass station.
Old 9th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecook View Post
I am facing is that I am trading 42 voices of polyphony with fx for probably 2 voices with no fx, if I decide to buy a couple mono's.
does anybody think that this is smart decision??
well, practical side of this shouldn't be disregarded either. if u need a poly in your compositional/production process, and dont have the funds to get a real analog poly, id keep at least of of these machines. or the switch might do you less good in the total outcome.

however if real analog sound is what u r after, and u got some cash. id suggest u get a mono like SE-1X, and a poly like MKS80, Xpander or Andromeda. if the budget allows for it. if a switch to another VA poly is also an option, imo NL2X is the smoothest VA, with filter free of usual va harshness n bumps/peaks. i was really suprised how good it sounds.

to answer your question, yes the difference is big enough. but, although im a real analog fan, it doesn't render all VA uninteresting. i like those that have their own character n sound (like Nord Lead 3 for example). that are simply good sounding and musical boards, in their own right. not just lamey "emulations". i try to look at them as interesting "digitla synths", not neceserily only as "virtual analogs"..

anyway, in regards to VA/RA as someone already mentioned, there are certain sounds that kinda became "VA" specialty. punchy, focused n precise - you won't ever get it to sound exactly that way on a real analog.

Quote:
I consider myself to have pretty fussy taste, and I'm listening to producers that use analogue, but I can't seem to replicate it with the digital synths. I also have a hell of a time trying to get nice thick, deep basslines. I'm hoping switching to analogue will fix this.
yes.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
is there really THAT big of a difference between the 2??
MASSIVE difference.

I was all digital, now I'm mainly Analog. There are exceptions.

In fact, I went mostly Modular (Modcan + Metalbox).

Feed a digital synth into a modular and there's really nothing you can't do.

I just couple the two and the sounds are exponentially good.

Biggest thing tho, Analog dosn't crash like computers. I find even digital synths (e.g. Virus) crash. I bought one that arrived yesterday, and already 3 or 5 crashes. No good.

Also, digital seems to get muddy when lots of stuff is going on. Best to break channels out separately. The little analog phase distortions and things help tracks fit better in a mix.

Also, digital has this 24, 32, 48 bit headroom. I hit it all the time, mainly because I can't be bothered to deal with levels when I'm being creative.

With Analog, it might be an op-amp level you hit, but I've got so much soft squeezy stuff so that when the sound peaks, it's like its kissing the clouds vs. hitting a glass ceiling.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
Instead of getting an SE-1x and a ATC why not get an Omega 8?
It can be run in multimode so you get 2 monovoices for bass and lead and still have 6 voices for pads!
I like the Omega 8 a lot. Even the SE-1x, which is very nice.

BUT, check the Jomox Sunsyn.

It's incredibly vast.

Here are some audio demos of it: http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?p=1632

Check youtube too.

It's quite amazing. Bad colour scheme, but apart from that, it's just amazing.

If I could have only one analog semi-modular polyphonic beast, this would be it.

Following that, wait for the new Macbeth synth, or get a Macbeth M3x. It's an ultra-amazing synth to be sure (no presets tho). I didn't believe the M3x would be as good as it is. It looks like Macbeth's new synth, the X-Factor, is gonna take the crown as the best sounding analog monosynth out there.

I kid you not. (again, no presets, but holy god the thing is gonna sound great -- based on its pedigree, and that it resembles an expanded M3x).

Had I heard the M3x earlier (even though it had been around for years), I wouldn't have bought my Voyager.
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Concerning some earlier posts, I believe the Omega is not like a polyphonic SE1, it is two-oscillator per voice vs three (hoping I am not wrong here!). I love my SE1. My polyphonic is an Xpander, which is also superb. Then I have some virtual analog: the Virus b and the Nord Modular. Although the Nord has that (software) modular approach which might remind some about the good old days, it sounds nothing like analog to me. Not to say it isn't a great box, it is, but it really excels at non-analoguish sounds rather than emulations in my opinion. You hear this by having real analog boxes at hand for a direct comparison. The Virus to my ears is more "organic"-sounding than the Nord, albeit far less flexible.
That said, I am curious about the Studio Electronics ATC. Anyone with an experience with their ARP-type filter? Is any ARP flavor there with this?
Thank you
Best regards
Massimo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search