The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Ableton Drum Kits
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Ableton Drum Kits

Are Ableton's drum kits a ****ty representation of the 808/909/303, et al., in comparison to original drum machines? Obviously I dont expect the 808 kick drum to hit exactly like an original Roland 808, but I'm just curious (for those of you who have heard both) if there is a significant difference.

Obviously not everyone has the means to utilize the original drum machines, so I'm wondering if the differences just aren't that noticeable where one would need to acquire said drum machines in order to imitate those drum sounds.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

They're usable providing you tweak them - I don't have any of the classics and I have just bought a Tempest.

They're a good source to have to get you going - if you're looking to rely on them as a go-to source of classic drum machine sounds, you might want to get hold of something else on top
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

This website blows.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
This website blows.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Why would it matter whether Ableton drums sound authentic or not? The only thing that should matter is do they sound good to you.

Even in the 80's and the 90's, many used samples of 909's and 808's instead of the real things. Tons of records were made without using the original units.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

The Ableton drum hits are exact copies of the real thing. The difference is that no two 30 year old analog machines are the same and the fluctuations in the machine create subtle variations from hit to hit as well. A static sample is the same evry time. That's the difference. Maybe look at D16 Group's drum machine VSTs for something closer to the real experience? D16 Group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - Nepheton
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
This website blows.
Don't let the door hit you where nature split you...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search