The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analogue Filter Types?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Analogue Filter Types?

I've done some searching on the forum but I haven't found a thread that lists the different types of analogue filters in classic and current synths. Before I buy another analogue synth I want to know if it will expand or duplicate my current filter palette. Also, is there a filter out there that I don't know about that I should add to my palette? How many different types of filters are actually out there (not talking modular here, that would be too big of a topic)? From what I have been able to gather there are half a dozen classic designs that have been copied over the years and a few one off unique designs. Given my current collection of filters, is there a new synth on the market that would give me a new sound?

I have-
Moog Rogue
ESQ1
BassStation (original)
Electrix Filter Factory
Akai AX73
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Waldorf Pulse 2. Maybe? This is copied from their website:

As an all-new, all-analogue synthesizer design, Pulse 2 flawlessly delivers exactly what synth connoisseurs around the world have been truly craving for quite some time — three analogue oscillators living in perfect harmony with a VCF (VoltageControlled Filter), yet we did not stop there: the fresh filter circuits in the Pulse 2 now offer 12dB Highpass and Bandpass modes in addition to 24dB/12dB Lowpass for strengthened sound-sculpting flexibility, while we added analogue Filter FM, two Overdrive circuits, and Ring Modulation from OSC 3, together with Paraphonic and Unison modes allowing up to eight-voice chords — a fantastic feature found on our recently-released Rocket Synthesizer.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Here's a basic overview

4 pole lowpass filters: Sometimes these are tapped at multiple points to provide 2 pole modes or other responses, as in the Oberheim Xpander, but they're still really 4 pole filters.

-cascaded integrator: most common "Roland style", most CEM/SSM filters. The Korg Poly 61 seems to have an unusual 2 pole variant of this.

-transistor ladder: classic Moog filter, also appears in some Roland, Kawai, Crumar, etc. models. The SSM 2044 is similar.

-diode ladder: EMS Synthi, Roland TB-303 and some early SH models.

2 pole filters: These are often switchable between low pass, high pass and band pass, sometimes cascaded for 4 pole responses.

-state variable: Yamaha CS series, Roland Jupiter 6, Elka Synthex, Rhodes Chroma, EDP Wasp, Oberheim SEM...

-sallen key: unusual, often weird and distorted sounding; I think they were used in the Korg MS-20 and Minikorg, Buchla, Yamaha GX-1, SY-1 and SY-2, Steiner-Parker Synthacon, and Arturia Minibrute

Last edited by acreil; 22nd October 2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: proofreading, etc.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
Here's a basic overview

4 pole lowpass filters (sometimes these are tapped at multiple points to provide 2 pole modes or other responses, as in the Oberheim Xpander, but they're still really 4 pole filters):

-cascaded integrator: most common "Roland style", most CEM/SSM filters. The Korg Poly 61 seems to have an unusual 2 pole variant of this.

-transistor ladder: classic Moog filter, also appears in some Roland, Kawai, Crumar, etc. models. The SSM 2044 is similar.

-diode ladder: EMS Synthi, TB-303, some early Roland SH models.

2 pole filters (often switchable between low pass, high pass and band pass, sometimes cascaded for 4 pole responses):

-state variable: Yamaha CS series, Roland Jupiter 6, Elka Synthex, Rhodes Chroma, EDP Wasp...

-sallen key: unusual, often weird and distorted sounding (I think Korg MS-20, Buchla, Yamaha GX-1, SY-1 and SY-2, Steiner-Parker Synthacon, Arturia Minibrute)
Thanks for this great info!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search