The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
help me connect my gear
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

help me connect my gear

so,i must connect my kawai q80 with roland alpha juno,akai s 2000 sampler,microkorg and mfb 522 with midi cable.
how? midi out from kawai to alpha juno? then juno thru to sampler? how many cables i need?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Save yourself headaches and get a patchbay. You need two cables for AJ to Q80 and one for each next device.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Save yourself headaches and get a patchbay. You need two cables for AJ to Q80 and one for each next device.
but i only need to connect 3 synths with the sequencer
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Even then, patchbays make things easier . For one thing you don't have to carefully set up each device to ignore a certain channel because it's sent to the next machine instead, and if you ever plan to get a DX7 it won't react to every message since it can't ignore certain channels. Also, you'll be able to deal with gear that (for budget reasons) doesn't have a thru port.

So:

AJ2 MIDI out -> Q80 MIDI in
AJ2 MIDI in -> Q80 MIDI out
AJ2 MIDI thru -> S2000 MIDI in
S2000 MIDI thru -> MFB MIDI in
MFB MIDI thru -> MicroKorg MIDI in
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Even then, patchbays make things easier . For one thing you don't have to carefully set up each device to ignore a certain channel because it's sent to the next machine instead, and if you ever plan to get a DX7 it won't react to every message since it can't ignore certain channels. Also, you'll be able to deal with gear that (for budget reasons) doesn't have a thru port.

So:

AJ2 MIDI out -> Q80 MIDI in
AJ2 MIDI in -> Q80 MIDI out
AJ2 MIDI thru -> S2000 MIDI in
S2000 MIDI thru -> MFB MIDI in
MFB MIDI thru -> MicroKorg MIDI in
I guess then I need some midi patchbay,right?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

The downside of daisy-chaning is twofold:

- every message has to pass through another device, adding delay
- every message has to be filtered out explicitly on the other device; i.e. monotimbral devices need to be told what channel to listen to, multitimbral devices need to be told what channels to ignore.

Patchbays have the following advantages:

- if you were to change the order between either device or if you're dealing with a device that has a fixed channel - 10 for drums, for instance) daisy chaining means carefully choosing what to put where, patchbays don't
- each connection is at most 2 MIDI cables long

By using a patchbay you can use both the MicroKorg and AJ as controller keyboards instead of how it's set up right now. Any self-respecting hardware-only studio or hardware-only live setup should have one, because it turns a bus-configuration into a star-configuration, and because it saves you a lot of effort.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search