The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
First VST purchase: Nexus 2, Omnisphere, etc.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

First VST purchase: Nexus 2, Omnisphere, etc.

Hi all-

I am a pretty big newb to the production side of things. Previously I played guitar in an original alt/indie band in my college years, but recently my music tastes are shifting more towards EDM. Right now my goal is to make original tracks that will sound sweet with my original guitar style playing incorporated into them(maybe say an artist like Cherub, for instance, if any of you are familiar with them)

Right now I am using Pro Tools 10(w/ my Eleven Rack) and Logic Pro 9.

I have a little cash saved up and am considering purchasing a VST, or a software synth plug-in, to help me with my future creations. I know you get these threads all the time but I was just hoping for some advice.

At first I was thinking about going with Nexus 2. I have researched this product a bit. I know that it gives me basically no customization options, but it sounds like the presets it comes with are pretty decent(especially for a newb artist like myself) especially for EDM. It is also tempting because it is $299, and it sounds like I could use it as a way to bang out some tracks fairly quickly, which is what I am essentially looking to do(not gonna lie). One thing I was confused about it the delivery of the program - at first I thought I could just download it, but it seems like they have to ship you an iLok-type device just to fire it up, is this correct? My hesitation with this... is my MacBook Pro only has 3 USB ports, but I already use one for my current iLok just so I can open up Pro Tools. Am I correct that I would need another USB type device JUST to use Nexus? Won't that be a giant pain in the ass, especially in mobile/on-the-go situations? Plus I mean I already use another USB slot for my Eleven Rack(which plugs into my monitors), plus another USB slot for my MIDI controller? Besides the USB issue, I was also leaning towards Nexus just because it seems really easy to use, and is great for laying down ideas quickly.

I was also considering Omnisphere. My knowledge of this is that it does have a ton of presets, but they are not as "production-ready" for EDM as Nexus 2 is, however they are still decent. But the big thing is that its a legitimate synth, meaning I could eventually learn the program well enough to where I could get some great, original sounds out of it and the possibilities are basically endless? My biggest hesitation with this, is I don't know a freaking thing about sound design. But I understand down the road it gives a lot more flexibility, whereas it sounds like you can tear through everything Nexus offers pretty quickly. I also understand this is a hog on resources, and is quite a bit slower and complex to use than Nexus. This one is $499 which is a bit more of cash but could still be worth it.

Could I get some opinions on what you guys recommend? I mean say I go Omnisphere, which I feel a lot of people here recommend because it has more "credibility" amongst this type of crowd since it will encourage me to design my own sounds as opposed to just using others. I like the sound of that a lot - but if I am a huge newb to this stuff, won't it take me a REALLY long time to be able to make any sort of meaningful sounds with this program? I suck at the production side of things, but I have been a musician for most of my life, and I do feel like I "hear things in my head" all the time and if I could just get them out onto paper... so that kind of philosophy lends me again towards Nexus. I guess I should ask does Omnisphere require some sort of USB device to load as well? I don't know why the USB thing bothers me so much but it honestly does. You only have so many ports on a Laptop.

Eventually I will definitely look into owning both and expanding to other programs as well. Right now I prefer to start with just one and see what I can come up with.

The last thing I guess I should say, is I know that PT for instance has Xpand2. Logic Pro has some built in synths as well. I would be lying if I said that I have explored these programs a TON in depth. Still though, I feel like I have played around with them a bit and I feel like my sounds just kind of suck or aren't doing things for me. Is this a sign that I suck so much, that I shouldn't put more cash anywhere near a program, and just use the synths that come with these programs naturally? Or if I know that I am serious about my music hobby(and sooner than later I want to have tracks that I can perform live with my partner), that I should invest in a decent program to get some great sounds out of?

I know I am all over the place, I really appreciate any insight. I almost purchased Nexus earlier today, I almost purchased Omnisphere instead a few days ago. I just really want to make sure before I drop the $300-500 because that is a bit of cash to a dude like me. It's actually giving me a ton of anxiety because I feel like I can't make up my mind.

Any advice? Thanks so much, slutz!
Old 22nd October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Explore logic x, it has everything you need! Nexus sound great, and you can't go wrong with it. Just make sure you're willing to buy more sound packs for Nexus which can get very expensive.

As for Atmosphere, I hear its great as well! It will give you vast possibility for less money than Nexus. I'd go for Atmosphere!

Komplete 9 is a great option too! If you want more drums Battery 4 is included. I can't compared the synths in Komplete 9 with the others. The opinion as to which is better will very.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 22nd October 2013
  #3
Being a guitar player also - Id say that Omnisphere will probably give you sounds that work better in a guitar context - because its more organic in scope than Nexus...you can choose from a range of sound sources to make sounds with omnisphere including analogue and acoustic...these types of sound work better with guitar in my experience...

Nexus appears cool if you need a load of tweakable high quality dance sounds - but we are talking commercial House and Trance sounds here. It really depends on what type of EDM you like...although as you say Nexus is production ready - you have to ask yourself - are those the styles of sounds you want? If they are then there is no reason to hold back - you can also buy more full synths down the line and you will have a few in Logic.

If you are talking about music like Chrub 'Doses and Mimosas' you could do that with some drum machine samples and stock logic synths...
Old 22nd October 2013
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
As for Atmosphere, I hear its great as well!
Omnisphere. Atmosphere is now 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
Cherub
Always post a Youtube video! It's not hard and you shouldn't make people search for you


Taking this as an example: this is not the typical Nexus fare at all. Omnisphere neither, but at least you can coax sounds like this out of it if you start from an initialized patch. DCAM or Diva would be better options.

Consider it like this: anyone and their mother already has a copy of Nexus 2 (whether legal or not so). Seeing that you can't modify much, how long do you think it takes before everyone else has plundered all the presets in the factory pack?

Rinse and repeat for the next expansion. And of course, the expansions are not really aimed at developing a new sound - just duplicating what's currently in vogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
The last thing I guess I should say, is I know that PT for instance has Xpand2. Logic Pro has some built in synths as well. I would be lying if I said that I have explored these programs a TON in depth. Still though, I feel like I have played around with them a bit and I feel like my sounds just kind of suck or aren't doing things for me. Is this a sign that I suck so much, that I shouldn't put more cash anywhere near a program, and just use the synths that come with these programs naturally?
Let me trot out this demo I made to demonstrate the point:





The second sounds much better than the first, right? But both are the same free plugin; it's just that one has effects and modulation thrown over it and the other doesn't.

That's why those built-in ones suck for you. You do not get a good idea of the capabilities by browsing the factory presets and hearing everything dry. With Nexus, all that is already taken care of; at the cost of losing flexibility.

If you have to choose one of 'm, get Omnisphere first; at least it allows you to do more than just zap through presets.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #5
Neither.

Nexus2 = biggest waste of money for me early on. I do use it for the occasional arp or pad now, but rarely because everything sounds far away to me.

Learn synthesis. It is not that hard compared to learning arrangement, sound design, processing, mixing, mastering, and everything else.

Logic 9 or X has more than enough to get you started. ES2 is decent for just about everything. There are tutorials in the Logic Help guide. ES1 is excellent for bass. Better men than I use it all the time. Ultrabeat and EXS24 have thousands of drum samples. The stock plugs ins in Logic are on par, if not above average compared to most DAWs.

If you must buy a synth and want some decent presets. Sylenth1 is very good, not that much, has hundreds of presets, and would be a very straightforward synth to learn on. But no 64-bit compatibility, so that would only work in Logic 9, for now. The other I would recommend with usable EDM sounds is FabFilter Twin. It would be even better to learn on because of its drag and drop modulation, and graphical envelopes. Visually, it will make sense if you use that synth.

Omnisphere is amazing. But for that price, you could get Komplete 9. That would give you even more synth and sample options and keep you busy for a year.

Good luck. Just what I would have done if I was starting out again.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Also, you have Logic and PT? Believe it or not - but that's having two Ferraris at the same time. You can't drive both at the same time, so don't try to do that - and don't go searching for yet another Ferrari, you already have two.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #7
Gear Head
 

Omnisphere, without doubt. There are loads of very high quality presets, and you will be able to learn synthesis. The bundled FX are very underrated too.

Also bear in mind all the presets in Nexus are DRENCHED in reverb and delay, when you get down to the sound it's really not that special. Plus the filters are not great.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #8
Gear Nut
With that kind of budget I would definitely check out Native Instrument's Komplete 9.
You get Massive, Reactor and FM8, all perfect for edm. In addition you also get kontakt and battery with well over 100gb of sounds and some very usefull vst effects.

Best of all: No usb dongle and you can activate the whole bundle on up to 3 computers!
Old 22nd October 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofil View Post

Best of all: No usb dongle and you can activate the whole bundle on up to 3 computers!
3 computers, maybe more than that. NI never gave me any issues with authorizations


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 22nd October 2013
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Thanks so much for the replies. Unfortunately, I feel even more confused. I was almost kind of hoping the decision would be a lot easier. Now I feel like I am just wasting valuable time that could be spent learning on just researching which VSTs I should get, if any.

I have PT AND Logic because PT came with my Eleven Rack, and then I picked up Logic afterwards after hearing everyone say how hard PT is to learn on, and how intuitive Logic is(which I agree with somewhat). So typically right now I mess around with synths and stuff in Logic, and then just move to PT when I want to lay down some guitar tracks.

Cherub is a great example of a sound I really like. I should have clarified in the OP, I do like very commercial EDM sounds, like Kaskade for instance, maybe that is why I was leaning towards Nexus 2. Ideally I want to take the coolest aspects of commercial EDM and combine them with the coolest aspects of some of the more indie EDM like Cherub, to make some badass music that is respected but everybody still likes. I guess that's pretty far down the line though.

So at this point it almost seems like you all encourage me to just save my money and mess around with the stuff that Logic gives me right out of the box. I appreciate the advice on Nexus 2 and Omnisphere, and for the NI recommendations as well as the Sylenth and Fabfilter Twin ones as well. If you guys have any more opinions on these please let me know.

Could you go a little bit more into detail on why Sylenth and more specifically FabFilter Twin would be better to learn on? I am intrigued by this statement because... I need to learn!d

Part of me was just kind of hoping this decision would be easier and that dropping some cash on a plugin would both automatically start giving me better sounds, and force me to start learning my investment... is this a wise train of thought or not so much?

And lastly if the popular opinion is just to use and learn what logic already gives me, I will definitely respect and most likely yield to that advice. Is that definitely what you guys think I should do, and just keep me $3-500 "in da bank" and use it down the line when I was better and thought I really needed something?
Old 22nd October 2013
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Oh yeah - and say I just say "f*ck it", I want to drop some cash on a really nice plug in and force myself to learn and have unlimited possibilities down the line and go with Omnisphere. For someone that knows nothing about sound design, am I talking a super long road ahead before I can get anything out of the program, or am I overestimating the learning curve or usability of the presets it already gives me?

Does anyone know if I need to bother with USB/iLok type stuff, or with the license can I just fire it up on my computer on demand? Lastly will it give me only one computer I can activate it on?

Thanks so much slutz!
Old 22nd October 2013
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
Could you go a little bit more into detail on why Sylenth and more specifically FabFilter Twin would be better to learn on? I am intrigued by this statement because... I need to learn!d
The reason I mentioned those is because with Sylenth, everything is in front of you. It is laid out in a logical manner and very easy to program.

FabFilter makes products that offer a lot of visual feedback. Whenever someone asks how a compressor works, I tell them to go download FabFilter's Pro-C. You can actually see what is happening as you adjust parameters. Best compressor? No. Not bad though. Very clean and useful for sidechaining. This is just for me, but I find it a very useful way to learn. Whenever you make an adjustment on FF Twin, whether to the oscillator, envelope, or filter, you can actually see what is happening. It helped me to grasp the concepts of subtractive synthesis faster. What is decay? What is resonance? What does sync do to my oscillator waveform. Its one thing to hear, but another to hear it and see it. They also have a nice bunch of tutorials to help you get started. Also, there is no denying that they make excellent products that are geared towards electronic music.

Just download the 30 day demo and you will see what I mean. A month is plenty of time to start getting comfortable. Find a preset you like. Start moving things around and listen to what happens. Then take your knowledge to any synthesizer and you're good to go. In the end, the programming is the same, it's just figuring out the routing and modulation methods of each.

I didn't mean to discredit Nexus so much. I think it is a useful tool that most people really don't understand what it can do when you really get down to the nuts and bolts. Its great for a little filler or background sound here and there. Still, if you are going to get serious about this, you will find that making your own sounds is more rewarding, unique, and in the end, it will sound better.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Thank you for your very great suggestion! I'm going to give that demo a try and see what I can learn from it!
Old 22nd October 2013
  #14
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
Could you go a little bit more into detail on why Sylenth and more specifically FabFilter Twin would be better to learn on? I am intrigued by this statement because... I need to learn!d
If you really want to learn synthesis you need dedicated knobs and not that much distraction. Juno-106 (or the next level) Nord Lead 2 are pretty ideal for this, as is a JP8000/8080.

One function per knob means that you discover how dependencies work. For instance, a filter envelope appears to do nothing if the filter cutoff knob is already open; that's because those values are added to the cutoff, and if the cutoff is set to the max you can't add more (the ceiling has already been reached). Similarly, when the filter envelope amount is set to zero, the values that are sent out by the envelope are negated.

Sylenth1 would not be my first choice - yes, it's chock-full of good sounds, but it's not exactly deep; and it still uses a modulation matrix which takes time to wrap your head around. Try KVR: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda - Details (there's a Mac version!) - it's got a simpler interface than the synths in Logic and mimics a Nord Lead in terms of specifications. Sure, it won't sound awesome right out of the box - but you'll learn synthesis.

Quote:
Part of me was just kind of hoping this decision would be easier and that dropping some cash on a plugin would both automatically start giving me better sounds, and force me to start learning my investment... is this a wise train of thought or not so much?
No. Especially with plugins there's no machine staring at you making you feel guilty. It won't result in better sound per se; just in more possibilities and (hopefully) better quality; and also, faster workflow. Reason some people purchase hardware is because they can dial in the desired result faster as opposed to trying to achieve the same with a plugin, because it's a dedicated control surface and the link between action and result is more obvious/ingrained.

Quote:
And lastly if the popular opinion is just to use and learn what logic already gives me, I will definitely respect and most likely yield to that advice. Is that definitely what you guys think I should do, and just keep me $3-500 "in da bank" and use it down the line when I was better and thought I really needed something?
It'll take time to learn Logic (or PT, but Logic comes with more included stuff) but that time is a great investment that doesn't depreciate as quickly as a new plugin
Old 22nd October 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Beany's Avatar
Omnisphere, I use it in every track. If you later get Trilian you get to use all of it's huge synth library within Omnisphere too. But Komplete 9 is also a great suggestion.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #16
Mmm if you like commercial EDM sounds maybe Nexus isnt such a bad idea.

The problem with learning synthesis is that whilst I agree with it - it can take quite a while - and I see no problem getting a leg up in the meantime.

Maybe go for it, but also note that you have the new retro synth in Logic which is quite capable and you can learn from that. Personally I would stick to learning Logic because it can do most of what PT can do - and it will muddle you a bit to work with 2...just record your guitars into Logic...
Old 22nd October 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
:Metaphor:'s Avatar
 

Hi, edm producer and guitar player here as well

Some quick notes, I don't want to add to the overwhelm-- I have history with all these plugs, and yes, demoing as many as you'd like may help you get a feel for each one's character. Every synth has it's own tone, not unlike different guitars.

Thoughts:

-Depends on the kind of EDM you wish to make. If you wanna sound like Skrillex, it's a different synth than sounding like Swedish House Mafia.

-DEMO!!!

-Nexus: Instant Gratification, but high price for what you're getting (once you start adding in packs). Sound is not that great, and if you're somewhat serious about making electronic music, you'll hit the wall pretty quickly with what you can do with it. I say avoid unless you just want a "quick fix"-- but yes, it is really well suited to generic EDM sounds.

-Omnisphere: great, impressive synth. Probably overkill for you at this moment, and even after years of using it, I find it difficult to fit into a dance music mix that way other synths fit. It can be awesome for dance music, but takes more work to get it to sound "right", IMO. It can be mushy and weak in a mix. Stay away for now, until you know that you want some weirder, deeper, more organic sounds, which is where it shines

-Sylenth: Perfect beginner synth! Used by many EDM pro's, sounds great, easy to learn, tons of premade patches available for it to get you going, BUT you can tweak them, unlike Nexus. And there's a million Youtube tutorials on how to make sounds on it, so you can learn it really well for free. All strong points, IMO. Deadmau5 and Skrillex use it, along with just about everybody else. What more could you ask for as a starting point?


FYI: There's a lot of soft synths out there, and in a thread like this, you'll see just about everything under the sun mentioned, so don't be surprised if you get more answers than you can handle! IMO, as a producer and EDM educator, start simple and get your feet wet. Then move on to add more. This is why Sylenth is perfect for beginners, but good enough for Pros

Warning:

If you're thinking of jumping to Logic X, sylenth won't work, since it's not a 64-bit plugin, which is required for Logic X. If you're fine on Logic 9 for a while, then Sylenth is your guy! 2nd best bet might be Nexus, but that will only get you so far and should be seen as a short term choice for yourself. Good luck
Old 22nd October 2013
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Omnisphere, no contest.

You can learn everything with Omnisphere. The synth section is easily laid out, there are good tutorials on spectrasonics website -- you can do all your basic synth learning here, AND get a peerless library of sample content / preset patches.

It really is the best software instrument on the market. Overwhelming, yes, but very worth it.

I also will +1 the notion of just focusing on Logic X for a while -- there's enough instruments in there to create albums for the rest of your life.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #19
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
If you dig the sounds in the Nexus demos, I say have at it. It's an expensive way to go, but if you're about choosing a preset and getting on with the composition part, there's really nothing wrong with that. Others here will tell you I'm wrong, but as a guitar player I totally understand the want to load up a preset and get going.

That said, instead of Nexus I'd get NI's Komplete. Depending on how many Nexus expansions you buy, Komplete can be a cheaper way out, give you a lot of diverse sounds (tons of presets) and a pathway to create your own in the future. Also, just think about this. Reaktor is a modular system that comes with Komplete and the user library is full of new instruments just a click away.

Omnisphere is excellent and it's highly programmable so if you later get the urge to tweak, it's there. If not, it does come with a ton of great presets.
Old 26th October 2013
  #20
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
Oh yeah - and say I just say "f*ck it", I want to drop some cash on a really nice plug in and force myself to learn and have unlimited possibilities down the line and go with Omnisphere. For someone that knows nothing about sound design, am I talking a super long road ahead before I can get anything out of the program, or am I overestimating the learning curve or usability of the presets it already gives me?

Does anyone know if I need to bother with USB/iLok type stuff, or with the license can I just fire it up on my computer on demand? Lastly will it give me only one computer I can activate it on?

Thanks so much slutz!
Well, you said you're a guitarist, eh? If you're the "plug the Tele into the Twin" kind of guitarist, Omnisphere might be a bit of a learning curve. If you use any sort of outboard effects and stomp boxes, you're probably very familiar with the concept of filters (known to guitarists as "wah pedals" and tone knobs) detuned oscillators (chorus/phase/flange), ADSR (volume pedal) volume modulation (tremolo), reverb... (reverb). etc. There are some good resources on line and tons of people here who'll happily answer any question that's out of your wheel house.

If you're serious about learning synthesis I suggest buying a modular synth like Karma Modular. It's a great way to figure out what everything does and how hooking it up differently effects the sound you get. Once you learn what each type of module does you'll find any other hardware or software synth just a matter of finding out what modules it has and how they're configured.
Old 27th October 2013
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
I am a pretty big newb to the production side of things.
then stop right there and DO NOT buy anything until you actually KNOW what you need
Old 27th October 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
peter_martin's Avatar
 

First VST purchase?
That's a pretty new and exciting commitment so I'll chime in.

Take my jive with a grain.

Thing is about Nexus is your hands are tied, and probably require several expansion banks. My buddy bought it and two expansions.

Having had plenty of time using it, and it ending up on some older stuff (three plus years ago) I can say its a bit stale. Sound quality is good and you get quick solid results for what it us, but nothing original or timeless. Nexus did end up on a album I did on Lost Language, but nothing 'upfront' other than the occasional 'sweep' or non-tonal atmosphere.

Omnisphere on the other hand, now thats a great instrument.
Super deep, and very powerful.

The presets are quite inspirational, but generally recommended avoiding them and spending six months making your own and learning it to get the most out of it. I have planned on picking it up to expand on my NI bundle, and u-he Diva.

Seeing that I own Trillian and not Omni, their layouts are very similar, and are totally easy to get around one you learn their 'system'. So when I go to a friends studio to work that has Omni, its quite familiar and get down on making my own stuff in it.

If your dead set on the two of them, get Omni.

Used Logic for several years, and enjoy the synths but they don't feel musically big. Think they lack a big of muscle when compared to other VSTs and hardware. I've long since moved away from Logic personally as a primary composition platform.

As far as Logic synths, if you do that jump, make sure you really read the manual and take about three solid months on them alone crafting and learning each one intimately.

Though whats proven the long haul personally, is a copy of Komplete 6 I bought on ebay years ago, and Diva. One thing I can do is get weird and pull in my own samples of violin, or city road noise in Absynth and get crazy. Took a few years to master both of these packages, but honestly don't feel the need from a software synthesis point of view to consider anything else.

That's just me.

I hope you find what you need, cuz I remember myself being in the same position a long long time ago.
Old 27th October 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
cryophonik's Avatar
 

First off, stop saying "VST", since you won't be using the VST version of either instrument with either Logic or PT. For Logic, you'll be using the AU plugin format, and for PT10 you'll be using either RTAS (being phased out and not compatible with PT11 or later) or AAX (PT's current native plugin format). Omnisphere comes in both AU and AAX plugin formats, so it will work with both DAWs. Nexus is available in AU and RTAS, but not AAX (yet, and not sure if/when it will be), so it will also work with both DAWs, but PT10 will use the older RTAS format. If you decide to go with Nexus, do your homework first and find out from reFX if/when it will be upgraded from RTAS to AAX, in case you you decide to upgrade from PT10.
Old 27th October 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

I see nothing wrong in buying a plugin synth that inspires you. Personally I find Logic's bundled stuff not the most accessible or inspiring in terms of instruments. I really rate the effects though, no need to buy any effects plugins for long while.

Recommendations as to which synth - whatever you really like the look/feel/sound of after demoing.
Old 27th October 2013
  #25
Nexus might not be the most tweakable, bu they do have options to change the sound... mods, lfo, all that. they have arp which is very workable and all the other stuff it offers... nexus to me, is the fastest and easiest way to lay an idea down... then you can create ur own patches if you feel the need.
Old 27th October 2013
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
Nexus might not be the most tweakable, bu they do have options to change the sound... mods, lfo, all that. they have arp which is very workable and all the other stuff it offers... nexus to me, is the fastest and easiest way to lay an idea down... then you can create ur own patches if you feel the need.
This is precisely what I use Nexus for, an audition machine. Or if I'm working out a melody I like to us a Nexus piano. It has benefits over using the stupid EXS24 sampler because for some reason, if you have two projects open at once, and I often do, when you flip between them any EXS instruments have to reload/scan the samples and it drives me crazy.

The Nexus arp is also quite good. At least I find it easier to use and get good results than most. The lock feature on it and the trance gate are nice because then you can flip through other samples and get the same cool pattern with ease. I wish other instruments I hade made use of this function.

To my ears, all of the Nexus sounds lack high end and sound far away. Even with the reverb off, which I also wish you could lock. I almost always have to process the heck out of it and add an exciter like PSP MixTreble to get it to sound right. Also, once you get deeper into it, you can turn individual sample layers on/off (they curiously call them osc), and you would be surprised what making adjustments to the envelope settings can do to the sound. Some samples, not so much, but others actually sound rather legit like your opening up the cutoff or adding some release. It is very sample dependent. The effects are pretty good to.

For a first VST instrument though, no way. Like others have said, while I do use it as part of my workflow, it is almost always in the background, and the expansions are not that big for the price they charge.
Old 27th October 2013
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
This is precisely what I use Nexus for, an audition machine. Or if I'm working out a melody I like to us a Nexus piano. It has benefits over using the stupid EXS24 sampler because for some reason, if you have two projects open at once, and I often do, when you flip between them any EXS instruments have to reload/scan the samples and it drives me crazy.

The Nexus arp is also quite good. At least I find it easier to use and get good results than most. The lock feature on it and the trance gate are nice because then you can flip through other samples and get the same cool pattern with ease. I wish other instruments I hade made use of this function.

To my ears, all of the Nexus sounds lack high end and sound far away. Even with the reverb off, which I also wish you could lock. I almost always have to process the heck out of it and add an exciter like PSP MixTreble to get it to sound right. Also, once you get deeper into it, you can turn individual sample layers on/off (they curiously call them osc), and you would be surprised what making adjustments to the envelope settings can do to the sound. Some samples, not so much, but others actually sound rather legit like your opening up the cutoff or adding some release. It is very sample dependent. The effects are pretty good to.

For a first VST instrument though, no way. Like others have said, while I do use it as part of my workflow, it is almost always in the background, and the expansions are not that big for the price they charge.
agreed, the delay, reverb fx are lacking along with the filters seem to be horrid.
Old 27th October 2013
  #28
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
This is precisely what I use Nexus for, an audition machine.
That's a lot of cash for an "audition machine." One could probably be just as happy with any number of plug ins that have a lot of good presets like Sylenth or the free Synth1. (sorry, I don't know if ProTools can use either of these, but I use them as examples)
Old 27th October 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 

I find Komplete a compliment for any daws stock content. Though I like the synths in complete, I don't think they are the best synths in comparison.

Komplete synths along side Kontakt work really great for, but do you need synths or romplers? They have different workflows IMHO.

Nexus is a synth power house, I have that Logic, Cubase and Komplete I use them all!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 27th October 2013
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That's a lot of cash for an "audition machine." One could probably be just as happy with any number of plug ins that have a lot of good presets like Sylenth or the free Synth1. (sorry, I don't know if ProTools can use either of these, but I use them as examples)
No sh!t, I completely agree. But that's kinda what I wound up using it for.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump