The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Pro-One Defective Main Board - Sell, Restore, or Keep as Parts?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Sequential Pro-One Defective Main Board - Sell, Restore, or Keep as Parts?

I have a Sequential Circuits Pro-One main board and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is not working but looks intact. I also own a working Pro-One. Do you think I should keep it as a parts board, restore it, or sell it? What do you think it would be worth if I sold it? There is a Jupiter-6 for sale in my area and I'd like to raise some money towards it if possible. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Fix it, there is nothing in there that is not repairable, I restored one two weeks ago and have serviced them for the last 20 years, they are not hard to fix.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Fix it or keep it as spare for the other one you have
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
Fix it, there is nothing in there that is not repairable, I restored one two weeks ago and have serviced them for the last 20 years, they are not hard to fix.
Why can't you be in the UK... I need mine repaired, sequencer is kaput
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Take a look here, this may help: .:Music Technologies Group:. - Sequential Circuits Pro One TurboCPU
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by triez View Post
1. It is missing the transformer. Where can I find a replacement?
2. One pot has a broken shaft.
3. At some point someone plugged in phantom power or 115V in the audio input. It blew some components and vaporized some traces. I replaced everything that looked remotely burned and jumped the traces. Also, replaced some caps. Still no go.

I'm not sure if it's worth more to keep it for parts, sell as is, or repair. If I repaired it what would I do with it? Probably would sell it anyway. I suppose one could fix it and turn it in to a voice "Expander" module for a Pro-one.

What do you think I could get for it in "as-is" condition?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
1. It is missing the transformer. Where can I find a replacement?
2. One pot has a broken shaft.
3. At some point someone plugged in phantom power or 115V in the audio input. It blew some components and vaporized some traces. I replaced everything that looked remotely burned and jumped the traces. Also, replaced some caps. Still no go.

I'm not sure if it's worth more to keep it for parts, sell as is, or repair. If I repaired it what would I do with it? Probably would sell it anyway. I suppose one could fix it and turn it in to a voice "Expander" module for a Pro-one.

What do you think I could get for it in "as-is" condition?
First you have to install a transformer and get the machine powered up to find out what else needs attention. The transformer is an 18V-0-18V which is cheap, common and available very easily from any parts supplier, you have to drill new mounting holes, particularly if the replacement is a toroidal. Obviously have someone qualified to work on mains voltages do this part. Pots can be gotten from Wine Country.

Or, it that all sounds too much, sell it broken as you say. Be honest with the buyer though, it is a risky purchase considering the history that you mentioned, if it has been exposed to high voltages and they got onto the power rails then there may be a high cost involved with replacing the microprocessor and Curtis chips.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
If it was local (Australia) , I'd buy it.

I enjoy restoring synths.. Crazy.

Currently restoring an Eminent String Ensemble that is missing it's timber completely.

It electrically was a basket case, but now is beginning to sing.

If the Pro1 was mine,

- I'd replace CPU with that one linked earlier (I already replaced the CPU in my pro1, and it's a def improvement)
- restore power
- test test test

If it's just a pcb, then I'd build a case for it and hack up a midi keyboard and instal. Lots of fun.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

If it is just the main board, I'd sell it. The cons associated with the time and energy required to fix the board outweigh the benefits of having a spare functional main board.

Further, I doubt that any components on the board are so rare (like a Monopoly's SSM2033) that it should be kept for parts.

My 2¢
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut
Let me know if you want to sell it. I could use a unit sans case for more development.
GB
.:Music Technologies Group:. - Sequential Circuits Pro One TurboCPU
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
I have a Sequential Circuits Pro-One main board and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is not working but looks intact. I also own a working Pro-One. Do you think I should keep it as a parts board, restore it, or sell it? What do you think it would be worth if I sold it? There is a Jupiter-6 for sale in my area and I'd like to raise some money towards it if possible. Thanks for the feedback.
BTW I installed a set of your ARP sliders into an Odyssey a few months ago. Very nice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search