The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Good examples of 3/4 Electronic?
Old 22nd October 2013
Good examples of 3/4 Electronic?

Title says it all. I'm in the middle of composing something and it's a waltz feel and I'm finding it a challenge to make beats for it. I was hoping maybe you guys knew of some good examples of Electronic stuff that had 3/4 or 6/8 feel and interesting beats. Anything from downtempo to drum and bass or inbetween tempo-wise. This will help me out a lot because I write stuff like this a lot. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

The drums are pretty simple in this but it's the only one coming to mind at the moment:

Old 22nd October 2013
This is in 9/10 or something mental like that:

And then there's of course venetian snares, who writes pretty much everything in 5/4

They're not really waltzy (especially the snares track) but they should give you some ideas for using non 4/4 signatures.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieCache View Post
This is in 9/10 or something mental like that:
The EMMA sounds like it's in 6/4 to me.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Future Sound Of London - My Kingdom - YouTube

Download on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/FSOLdeadcities Follow Future Sound of London Official Site: The Future Sound Of London Facebook: https://www....
I can't watch it from Germany, hope you can.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

3/4 Space-Funk Jam

Some good tunes on this thread

Anyway, i went ahead and spent 15 minutes making a bit of a space-funk jam in 3/4, i hope it shows that you can get quite a bit of rhythmic complexity going and some nice phrases.

It's not mastered and barely mixed but it gives an idea.
Attached Files

3-4 Space Funk Jam.mp3 (1.46 MB, 164 views)

Old 22nd October 2013
Put some 5/4 over your then 7/4, then you're really rollin'. Prime numbers ftw.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

https://soundcloud.com/peter-martin/riddles-in-stone

I did this little ditty one night about four years ago with two instances of imposcar in 6/4 time - pretty basic track and nothing crazy going on, just some chords and arps.

Off the top of my head, Juno Reactor and Leftfield did some different time signatures on some of their tracks.

What's cool is how you can make something in a fast 3/4 one measure, then 5/4 next measure, etc. Or for a completely different feel put the 5 first, then the 3 second.

Kind of like a push pull feeling.

ps - Nik No, that FSOL track is freaking dope.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

The FSOL My Kingdom is really interesting in the context of the album's theme (Dead Cities) because it is like saying that
1). Their "kingdom" is the kingdom of the dead and they waltz through its ashes.
or
2.) The cities are dying, humanity is dying and the ruling elite do nothing but waltz.
3.) Richard III reference: SCENE IV. Another part of the field.

So... the audio just suddenly went out on my computer so I can't count the time, but if memory serves me Nortec Collective may do some interesting stuff -- also a cool glimpse of a Prophet.
Old 22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Some good tunes on this thread

Anyway, I went ahead and spent 15 minutes making a bit of a space-funk jam in 3/4, i hope it shows that you can get quite a bit of rhythmic complexity going and some nice phrases.

It's not mastered and barely mixed but it gives an idea.
Thanks for going way beyond the call and actually MAKING me an example. Very cool. I could hear Pharell singing over it lol...

And thanks to everyone else for the great examples too. I've definitely got what I need but feel free to keep them coming, great tunes here.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

It was alot of fun to make, I've been lent a Juno 60 for the week to sample so I thought I'd put it to good use
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru
Here's one I did with a friend.,.. never quite finished it... near the middle there's kinda nothing going on... listening again this was the first version.. so even more is missing

but yeah.. 3/4 is fun to write leads over.

Old 22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

My recent favorite:

Old 23rd October 2013
3/4 music

90s Goa triplets by IM, circa '98 or '99.

Infected Mushroom - Disco Mushroom - YouTube
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Your question wanted me to think how I would tackle a 3/4 groove. Here is little groove example I just made in 10 minutes with Maschine and Komplete 9. Don't judge the production I wasn't really focused on that. I do like my example and will develop into a track more than likely. You can feel the downbeat every beat even though the drums are syncopated. In my view clever syncopation is the way to write in odd signatures, in a way that people won't necessarily notice the time signature but still feel the groove.

https://soundcloud.com/zaxzilla/3-4-beat/s-agTwy
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

off the new Boards of Canada album Tomorrows Harvest, "Jacquard Causeway" is in 3/4
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post
Your question wanted me to think how I would tackle a 3/4 groove. Here is little groove example I just made in 10 minutes with Maschine and Komplete 9. Don't judge the production I wasn't really focused on that. I do like my example and will develop into a track more than likely. You can feel the downbeat every beat even though the drums are syncopated. In my view clever syncopation is the way to write in odd signatures, in a way that people won't necessarily notice the time signature but still feel the groove.

https://soundcloud.com/zaxzilla/3-4-beat/s-agTwy
Nice one. Thanks for the effort.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

one of their best work
more like 6/8 but i allways loved the drum-programming in this
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

3/4 is unexplored country for me in electronic stuff. But I often do 6/8 and 12/8.

Like this one:

Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieCache View Post

And then there's of course venetian snares, who writes pretty much everything in 5/4

They're not really waltzy (especially the snares track) but they should give you some ideas for using non 4/4 signatures.
Parts of it seem 4/4 to me. But when the major choppage starts I can't follow.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: View Post
My recent favorite:
Sweet sounding track! Thanks for the tip.

Here's one more in 6/8.

Old 24th October 2013
This is one I did recently.

I've got several in non 4/4 time signatures, using the endless sequencer on the OP-1 got me into it sort of by accident.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

Stupid video.... but this song is tiiiiight

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search